Is anyone actually surprised?

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
US forces shot down an Iranian drone 60 miles (100km) north-east of Baghdad last month, the US military says.

A military spokesman said the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) was in Iraqi airspace for almost an hour and 10 minutes before it was engaged.

The US accused Iran of deliberately sending the spy drone into Iraqi airspace, but a top Iraqi official suggested it had been a mistake.

There was no immediate comment from Iran on the 25 February incident.

The US has long accused Iran of military interference inside Iraq.

"This was not an accident on the part of the Iranians," said US military spokesman Lt Col Mark Ballesteros, who identified the drone as an Iranian-made Ababil 3.

Pilots "were directed to shoot the UAV down after determining there would be no possibility of collateral damage", he added.

Maj Gen Abdul Aziz Mohammed Jassim, head of military operations at the Iraqi defence ministry, told Reuters news agency he believed the plane's entry into Iraq had probably been a genuine error.

"It crossed 10km into Iraq," he said. "It's most likely that its entrance was a mistake."

The Ababil 3 is a reconnaissance drone. Israeli forces reported downing several Hezbollah Ababils during the 2006 Lebanon War.

I'm not

The thing that interests me the most in this is that the Americans and the Iraqis are arguing over what happened.

You can be a lot more outspoken about somebody when you've got a huge army and a big body of water preventing them from nipping over to register their complaints.

The Iranians would deny responsibility even if it was blatantly obvious that it was intention. That being said, the Americans would condemn Iran even if it looked like a genuine accident. Personally, I don't know enough about aviation to be able to comment on how whether or not 10km can reasonably fit inside a margin of error (I would be very surprised if we don't have drones going over Iran looking for neuclier sights though). At this point, I don't think it matters.

But no. I can't say I'm surprised.

IranPresident.jpg

ugh. fuck. itll never end. its been happening in that part of the world for thousands of years, and will continue for thousands more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back