Int'l Region, Las Vegas Subregion, First Round: (5) El Santo vs. (28) Sgt. Slaughter

Who Wins This Matchup?

• El Santo

• Sgt. Slaughter

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, Las Vegas Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under International Rules. It will be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

mgm-grand-arena-vegas-1_C.jpg

el-santo-and-blue-demon.jpg

#5. El Santo

Vs.

17F86C5D94224E689965A51E85E153C9.ashx

#28. Sgt. Slaughter

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

There isn't much of a debate here. El Santo is probably the biggest draw outside of the United States, anywhere in the world, ever. His name is on the lips of his countrymen, even now many, many years after his death. His legacy is enormous and he was, is and always will be the icon of lucha libre.

Conversely Sarge is a pro-American babyface or heel challenger of the month who served as a transitional champion, mostly because, according to Sarge himself, Hogan wished it so. Given that El Santo is as close to Hulk Hogan as Mexico will ever offer (and they are quite similar) Santo more or less squashes Slaughter. No ifs ands or buts.

Need we really discuss this? Santo is one of the biggest stars ever whilst Sgt. Slaughter's big break came courtesy of Warrior being a tool and Saddam Hussein being a bigger one. Santo's stock has risen a lot over the last few years and I am proud to have helped achieve that. I see no reason why he shouldn't go further than this round again this time around.

Slaughters big break came courtesy of Warrior being a tool and Saddam Hussein being a bigger one?

At the tail end of his career?

His 'big break' finally came?

Are you kidding???

There is a reason that Slaughter's anti-American heel gimmick was so successful. It's because before that, his pro-American face gimmick was a MAJOR success. For fucks sake. It was so successful that it was actually the reason McMahon let him go in 1984. GI Joe wanted to use him in their toy line. McMahon wouldn't allow it, because he didn't want Hogan being overshadowed (Slaughter was already rivaling Hogan in popularity without being featured in a major toy line like that... with GI Joe and being in the WWF while they were taking off, he could have easily surpassed Hogan).

Before that, he was simply known as one of the biggest draws throughout the territories. Typically as a heel too (the pro Iraq heel wasn't some new turn for him).

If anything that last great WWF run was him coming back and reminding the world how good he was. Not him finally getting his 'big break'.

I honestly would put Santo over him in this tournament, but it's nowhere near as clear cut as these comments are making it out to be. Slaughter was VERY good, and a lot bigger of a deal than he's given credit for here.

El Santo was Mexico's biggest wrestling star and a hugely successful crossover icon like the Rock is now, except Santo continued wrestling even after becoming a huge movie star. His longevity as a top star is practically unparalleled in the wrestling world. And TBH, even if Gotch does make past Hardy, I'm still not certain as to whom I would back.

But this match is easy. Slaughter was champion one time, feuded with wrestling's biggest star at the time, in an angle that did draw allot of heat, but it was his only defining moment. Santo on the other hand had plenty of those, along with topping the bad guys in the same fashion Hogan had done with Slaughter.

Routine victory for Santo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back