• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Intergender Handshakes

AnthonyMango/NoFate007

A Post Is Worth A Thousand Words
Handshaking between two males is a very simple practice. Right hand out, firm grasp, a few simple and mild shakes, and then you let go - unless you do the variation where you know the person well enough and you clasp hands, draw the person near, and give them the half-assed "pat on the back" hug lol.

But its trickier when you add a female to the mix. I don't know why this just popped into my head a minute ago, but eh, what the hell, let's see what the responses are. If you're a guy and you are in a position where you could/should shake a woman's hand, how do you do it? Or do you not to it at all and do something else instead? Sometimes, people say its proper to wait for a woman to "offer her hand" to you. So, if you're a woman, do you initiate a handshake for a guy you come in contact with, or do you wait for the guy to do it instead? How hard do you grasp? A few vertical shakes....sawing some wood...some weird handshake method I've never heard of before? Lol.

Personally, I go for the handshake myself and I tend to make it firm enough that I've got her locked in, but not enough that I could be playing a game of "Mercy" lol. And I tend to stay stationary and not actually shake up and down.

What do you think is the right way to go?

What do you think is the right way to go?

It really depends on the way they carry themselves. If they're really "hood" and annoying in that aspect, I'll just what they call, "Dap 'em down", which is just a five with your fist, if that makes any sense. That's the only way I can explain it, lol.

But yeah... if she's an actual lady, I just give a soft little handshake. I've never put much thought into it, but I don't think there should be any other way to go. I mean, what would be the point of being firm with a woman's hand who you just met? To me that sends off the wrong impression, I would think.

At the end of the day though, the only handshakes that have to be worried about are the one's you give on job interviews, being that first impressions are literally EVERYTHING when interviewing for a job. None of the other handshakes you give throughout life should matter. :)

What a random topic, lol.

Anyway, with a woman it's just a normal handshake. I only do that half assed pat on the back thing with guys. Not sure why, I think they just do it more than girls. In fact, I'm yet to see a woman do that.

But anyway, I don't usually shake women's hands. I think I'm still at the age where we just hug most of the time. Meh, I guess for interviews & such, a normal handshake will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back