Int Region, Third Round, Dog Collar Match: (1) Steve Austin vs. (9) Vader

Who wins this match?

• Steve Austin

• Vader

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the International Region. It is a Dog Collar match held under International Rules, meaning the match is held under the standard rules of the country the match is held in. It will be held at the Arena Mexico in Mexico City, Mexico. Assume one week has passed since the second round match.

arena-mexico.jpg

Dog Collar Match Rules: The two men will be attached at the necks by a ten foot chain with collars at the ends. The match is won by pinfall or submission, NOT by touching all four buckles.​

StoneColdSteveAustinPortraitsearch.com_display_image.jpg

#1. Steve Austin

Vs.

271.jpg

#9. Vader

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I maintain that Vader would win this match. Vader is a guy you need to be able to keep a distance from in order to defeat in most cases, and having a guy like Vader able to pull you in on a chain and beat you senseless is hard to survive. People should remember, Vader is one of the better strikers in wrestling - he used short punches in the corner that made many people cringe.

The fact that it's pin / submission is Austin's one saving grace. If he had to drag Vader to 4 turnbuckles, I'd say that'd be a sure win for Vader. But it's not. Oh well.

Vader is bigger and stronger. Austin may have a minuscule edge in speed, but not much. Both men are equal in terms of toughness, versatility, experience, and ruthlessness.

I fear that many internet fan boys will see the names in the match and vote Austin without a second thought. Still, I'll give it a shot despite the fact that I'm up against one of the most popular wrestlers in history. Amazing what cheap beer and swear words can do for a career.

Vader wrecks Cactus Jack
[YOUTUBE]Z5_AggaEhBY[/YOUTUBE]

Vader's eye pops out of his head - he pops it back in and finishes the match
[YOUTUBE]AmK8mt4QWBg[/YOUTUBE]

I think this a serious SERIOUS threat Austin. Oh brutal gimmick, in an international territory against a bad bad dude. This one require some mulling and fact checking.

Gonna be tight.

Austin's become a folk hero for his no nonsense attitude and his ability to stick his middle finger in the faces of establishment. During his run in the WWE, he's beaten every single meaningful wrestler in his era. Undertaker, Rock, HHH, Kane, Mankind, and many others have fell to Austin.

That being said, at Vader's peak, he's beaten Sting when he was white hot, and nearly killed Cactus Jack on more than one occasion. And we could also mention his victories in Japan and the draws he's had against some of the world's greatest wrestlers. He also nearly beat Antonio Inoki to death. In Japan.

Long story short, Vader's a bad, bad man. Anyone who fights to no contest after nearly having his eye pop out earns his stripes.

Then again, Austin finished his match against Owen Hart with a broken neck.

Right now it's a push... IC or someone on the Austin bandwagon will have to convince me one way or another.

Jesus. I instinctually wanted to go with Austin but even in his prime, where he could beat absolutely anyone, he wasn't immune to going down with the deck stacked against him. He lost to Hart in an I Quit match albeit a bit before his prime. He lost to Kane in a First Blood match. He lost in a Triple Threat Match to Kane & The Undertaker.

In pretty much any other kind of match I would have given Austin the advantage. He's just as ruthless as Vader is, but in a match where his speed won't be a factor and his strength is outmatched considerably, it's hard to come up with a way that Austin would win other than his intangible traits.

Austin would win this, and the fact we are even discussing it is testament to the amount Vader has been hyped by this forum. Vader had one feud with Sting where they exchanged victories in the early 90s WCW, but outside of that he's never beaten any of America's greats. Why? Because he wasn't good enough.

Would Austin be beaten bloody? Sure. Would he lose? Absolutely not. The amount of times Austin was brutalised and still won are innumerable, and some of them came in gimmick matches that were stacked against him, e. g. Against Taker.

If Austin were a technical wrestler that needed separation, I'd buy this, but he wasn't at all, and the collar won't prevent a close brawl, exactly what Austin needs.

Reactions: TLC
IrishCanadian25 said:
having a guy like Vader able to pull you in on a chain and beat you senseless is hard to survive.

Not only would Vader be able to pull you in, he MAY be strong enough to swing Austin around on that chain and just smash him into the posts.

Austin would win this, and the fact we are even discussing it is testament to the amount Vader has been hyped by this forum. Vader had one feud with Sting where they exchanged victories in the early 90s WCW, but outside of that he's never beaten any of America's greats. Why? Because he wasn't good enough.

Yeah, and in one those matches he beat Sting in a Leather Strap match, which is virtually the same thing as a Dog Collar Match. And the one match I know Steve Austin has had in a leather strap or dog collar match was against Savio Vega, in which he lost. And that was at a time when Austin was just entering his prime.

So, let's recap... Vader beat prime blonde Sting in a leather strap match, prime Austin loses to SAVIO VEGA in one.... who gets the edge? The answer is obvious.

In a regular one-on-one match I'd give the slight edge to Austin, but in this match absolutely no way. Not only does the history speak for itself, but logic plays a factor too. Austin would have an extremely hard time being locked in a collar along side Vader. He wouldn't be able to pull him around, nor would he be able to use any kind of speed or athleticism to his advantage. This match plays specifically in the favor of the stronger/bigger opponent, and Vader is that by a LOT in this match. He beats Austin and does so pretty decisively.

Now, if you want to vote for Austin because of his legacy or because you preferred his work over Vader's, then that's fine. However, I don't think there's any fair argument that could be made in Austin's favor concerning the match itself. Vader crushes the guy 9 times out of 10.

Vader gets my vote. Not only because he whoops Austin in this match, but also because the guy's body of work is every bit as good as Austin's. Vader vs. Sting was Austin vs. Hart before Austin vs. Hart went down.

Jmt makes several fantastic points. Listen, I'll be the first to admit that Steve Austin is as solid a personality in wrestling history as there has ever been. He drew massive money. But for me, the WZ Tournament has never - EVER - been about drawing power. It's a question of who legitimately has the tools to win in a match.

Big Van Vader in his prime was more brutal than anybody. He broke a man's back once. He has a winning record against Sting, and in the White Castle of Fear Strap Match JMT refers to, Vader ruptured Sting's ear drum with the strap. In a chain match, Vader might just rupture Austin's brain.

Austin's attitude can't win him this match. Austin's attitude is no nonsense and brutal. Big Van Vader was doing that when Austin was a Hollywood Blonde. Austin can't slide out of the ring and compose himself, he'll get reeled in by Vader and mashed to a pulp.

Don't let Austin's popularity influence you. Vader beat a guy in Sting in the 90's who was as popular as anyone.

I would have went with Austin without a second thought IF this wasn't a dog collar match, unfortunately it is which gives Vader an advantage.

Austin wasn't invincible by any means, with the deck stacked against him he often did in fact lose. There's a lot of things Austin wouldn't be able to do against Vader in such a match. He can't stick and move he's attached to Vader by a chain. Frankly nothing is stopping Vader from pummeling Austin until he becomes unresponsive. At the same time Austin could grab a quick stunner and win as well. If this was a strap match Austin would be fucked but he can beat Vader in a dog collar match where he just has to survive and pin Vader, Austin can do that. Strap matches are NOT dog collar matches, its not like Austin has to drag Vader around the ring to win, he just needs to survive and hit a Stunner, that's literally all he has to do.

Screw it I'm going with Austin.

I would have went with Austin without a second thought IF this wasn't a dog collar match, unfortunately it is which gives Vader an advantage.

Austin wasn't invincible by any means, with the deck stacked against him he often did in fact lose. There's a lot of things Austin wouldn't be able to do against Vader in such a match. He can't stick and move he's attached to Vader by a chain. Frankly nothing is stopping Vader from pummeling Austin until he becomes unresponsive. At the same time Austin could grab a quick stunner and win as well. If this was a strap match Austin would be fucked but he can beat Vader in a dog collar match where he just has to survive and pin Vader, Austin can do that. Strap matches are NOT dog collar matches, its not like Austin has to drag Vader around the ring to win, he just needs to survive and hit a Stunner, that's literally all he has to do.

Screw it I'm going with Austin.

Before you throw your hands up and side with Austin on the basis of his finishing maneuver, please bear this point in mind. That's definitely not "all" Austin has to do.

Kayfabe wrestling history has one elite club - the few and the proud who have kicked out of Hulk Hogan's Leg Drop. Sid Justice did it, but only because Papa Shango missed his cue and Hogan didn't know Whippleman was running interference at Wrestlemania 8. Yokozuna kicked out and then beat Hogan. Goldberg MAY have, but I don't recall it.

Big Van Vader is the only man who has kicked out of Hogan's leg drop after a count of 1.

Vader has withstood some of the greatest finishers of all time, while Austin's stunner, though lethal, has a far longer list of survivors to its name. Heck, The Rock kicked out of it two or three times in one match.

I think Vader can do more damage to Austin at close range with the chain that Austin can with a stunner.

Another point to consider. Austin reached his prime in 1999-2003 or so. In 1997, Owen Hart broke Austin's neck at Summer Slam. Where is the Dog Collar attached? Around Austin's neck. I don't want to sound gruesome here, but Austin with a previously broken neck is gonna have a dog collar on a chain attached to BIG VAN VADER around that same neck? Oh boy, that can't be good for Stone Cold.

Before you throw your hands up and side with Austin on the basis of his finishing maneuver, please bear this point in mind. That's definitely not "all" Austin has to do.

Kayfabe wrestling history has one elite club - the few and the proud who have kicked out of Hulk Hogan's Leg Drop. Sid Justice did it, but only because Papa Shango missed his cue and Hogan didn't know Whippleman was running interference at Wrestlemania 8. Yokozuna kicked out and then beat Hogan. Goldberg MAY have, but I don't recall it.

Big Van Vader is the only man who has kicked out of Hogan's leg drop after a count of 1.

Vader has withstood some of the greatest finishers of all time, while Austin's stunner, though lethal, has a far longer list of survivors to its name. Heck, The Rock kicked out of it two or three times in one match.

I think Vader can do more damage to Austin at close range with the chain that Austin can with a stunner.

Another point to consider. Austin reached his prime in 1999-2003 or so. In 1997, Owen Hart broke Austin's neck at Summer Slam. Where is the Dog Collar attached? Around Austin's neck. I don't want to sound gruesome here, but Austin with a previously broken neck is gonna have a dog collar on a chain attached to BIG VAN VADER around that same neck? Oh boy, that can't be good for Stone Cold.

Understandable that a dog collar match with a stinger isn't gonna help Austin's chances but I think that works to Austin's advantage as weird as it sounds. Although Austin didn't always overcome the odds he usually did, the only times he really didn't were matches that it was pretty much impossible for him to win (like Kane in a first blood match). At the end of the day this IS wrestling so its just another part of the Austin defying the odds story.

I guess what I'm saying is Austin really only lost when it was pretty much impossible for him to win but when there was a slight chance he almost always did. He beat Dude Love while Mr. McMahon was a ref, he beat the Undertaker in a buried alive and first blood match and he beat The Rock a million times outside of the fact The Rock usually had an entourage to back him up so there's really no reason he can't beat Vader in a dog collar match (once again if it was a strap match I would vote Vader because Austin beating Vader in a strap match is next to impossible because of the way you gotta win it).

Vader may kick out from 1 stunner, but 2? 3? Eventually Vader will fall to the stunner, everybody does. I'm just saying if Austin can beat Undertaker with 1 stunner he can beat Vader with 1 stunner.

Although Austin didn't always overcome the odds he usually did, the only times he really didn't were matches that it was pretty much impossible for him to win (like Kane in a first blood match).

So what you're saying is that the times Austin failed to overcome the odds occured when he was facing a larger, stronger monster heel in a match that clearly favored the monster heel.

Duly noted.

At the end of the day this IS wrestling so its just another part of the Austin defying the odds story.

This tournament isn't about writing the best story. It's about making a realistic argument as to who would win and why. I'm sorry - I like you and I like the way you frame your argument and make your point, but "it could happen because it's awesome when an underdog overcomes the odds" isn't a cogent argument. By that logic, Koko B Ware should win the whole dang thing.

I guess what I'm saying is Austin really only lost when it was pretty much impossible for him to win

He had every chance to beat Triple H in the 3 Stages of Hell Match (lost that gimmick match), Kane in the First Blood Match (lost that gimmick match), Savio Vega in the Strap Match (lost that gimmick match), Bret Hart in the submission match (lost that Gimmick Match) and The Rock at Wrestlemania 19.

but when there was a slight chance he almost always did.

Because it was written that way out of popularity, nothing else. This tournament isn't about choosing the most popular. It's not high school politics.

He beat Dude Love while Mr. McMahon was a ref

The same guy who also played hardcore legend Cactus Jack whom Vader decimated all around the world in the Early 90's? Ok, cool!

he beat the Undertaker in a buried alive and first blood match

Vader's beaten him too.

and he beat The Rock a million times outside of the fact The Rock usually had an entourage to back him up

Kinda like how Austin had McMahon at Mania 17?

so there's really no reason he can't beat Vader in a dog collar match

I've provided you with a few, take your pick. Personally, I like the whole "yanking a chain attached to a guy's once broken neck" argument. It's a good one.

(once again if it was a strap match I would vote Vader because Austin beating Vader in a strap match is next to impossible because of the way you gotta win it).

It's easier to pin someone than it is to drag them post to post. If Vader can't incapacitate Austin for 3 seconds...

Vader may kick out from 1 stunner, but 2? 3? Eventually Vader will fall to the stunner, everybody does.

And Vader's just gonna stand there and let Austin stun him?

I'm just saying if Austin can beat Undertaker with 1 stunner he can beat Vader with 1 stunner.

And if Vader can beat Sting with the Powerbomb, the Vaderbomb, etc. then he can beat Austin.

So what you're saying is that the times Austin failed to overcome the odds occured when he was facing a larger, stronger monster heel in a match that clearly favored the monster heel.

Duly noted.
This tournament isn't about writing the best story. It's about making a realistic argument as to who would win and why. I'm sorry - I like you and I like the way you frame your argument and make your point, but "it could happen because it's awesome when an underdog overcomes the odds" isn't a cogent argument. By that logic, Koko B Ware should win the whole dang thing.

He had every chance to beat Triple H in the 3 Stages of Hell Match (lost that gimmick match), Kane in the First Blood Match (lost that gimmick match), Savio Vega in the Strap Match (lost that gimmick match), Bret Hart in the submission match (lost that Gimmick Match) and The Rock at Wrestlemania 19.

Because it was written that way out of popularity, nothing else. This tournament isn't about choosing the most popular. It's not high school politics.

The same guy who also played hardcore legend Cactus Jack whom Vader decimated all around the world in the Early 90's? Ok, cool!

Vader's beaten him too.

Kinda like how Austin had McMahon at Mania 17?

I've provided you with a few, take your pick. Personally, I like the whole "yanking a chain attached to a guy's once broken neck" argument. It's a good one.

It's easier to pin someone than it is to drag them post to post. If Vader can't incapacitate Austin for 3 seconds...

And Vader's just gonna stand there and let Austin stun him?

And if Vader can beat Sting with the Powerbomb, the Vaderbomb, etc. then he can beat Austin.

I'm not picking the underdog story because it's the underdog story and it makes for a good story at all, but in my experience with Austin he usually thrives in such an environment. I'll never argue Vader can't beat Austin, I would be foolish to think that but Austin winning when the odds are stacked against him is typical Austin in a sense.

He lost to Savio Vega when before he was in his prime, lost to Bret Hart in a match that made him a big star, lost to Kane in a match where if Kane lost he would have to kill himself like a protesting Buddhist monk and The Rock because he was leaving wrestling for good. Triple H is really the only one I would seriously consider because he's the only one that actually BEAT Austin in his prime. Kane did too but its impossible to beat a guy when if that guy loses he has to kill himself.

I'm certainly not saying Vader can't beat Austin and frankly I was on the fence for a bit but then I really thought about all the times Austin did in fact win with his back against the wall. In my experience with Austin is if he has a legit chance of winning (no matter how small) he will most likely win. Understand voting isn't in yet and I'm not 100% set on Austin winning but its also hard to bet against the guy. Betting against Austin is like betting against Yankee's in '98, sure they lost but betting against them isn't the smart thing to do especially in a big game scenario. Austin's a big game player, this is a big match, its harder to go against the guy when I look at his track record in his prime.

Vader, it's not even close. Vader is one of the most sadistic human beings to ever step foot into a wrestling ring. Couple that with his strength, speed, and kayfabe success he seems to be damn near unbeatable in a match where he has a chain attached to his opponents reconstructed neck it seems to be a wrap for the rattlesnake. As great as Austin was he lost quite a bit when the odds were against him, which they certainly are here.

Vote Vader

I've voted either in kayfabe or on logical booking/career accomplishments through out this thing. I've hit a cross roads where I can't do both in two matches in this round - Steamboat Vs Edge, and Vader Vs Austin. Both stipulations favour the aforementioned, both Edge and Austin should probably be booked to go through.

I'm making a decision here and now that kayfabe should dictate my votes primarily. Otherwise, there is no differentiation on a year to year basis in this tournament, you'd end up voting the same people every year.

Steamboat/Edge is a different story, as within kayfabe I still think that's the exact type of heavily stipulated match that Edge would find a way to triumph in. Here, there are no loopholes, no tricks that Austin can do. He's tied by the neck to a fucking Minotaur. Tied by the broken freakin' neck to the guy with the best short striking in history.

This would be a war. Prime Austin isn't going to go down easy to anyone. I just think the kayfabe arguments are too, too much for Austin here. Vader is perfectly suited to this gimmick, with Austin absolutely against it. I wouldn't just blindly be taking any big man here - if it's Austin/Umaga of course I take Stone Cold - but this is Vader. A guy who made legit kayfabe impressions and picked up huge wins all over the world - Choshu in Japan, El Canek in Mexico, Sting in North America. A multiple time world champion during a legitimate era of wrestling.

I'm taking Vader. Just the worst draw for Austin.

Austin is in serious trouble here. In any other match i would vote Austin easily. Not in this match. I remember watching Vader in his prime and he was downright scary. Austin is tough as nails, but with that dog collar around his neck I think Vader would just destroy him. I am voting Vader and I think it might even be close.

I'm surprised it took you so long to bring this up. When I saw Vader was going up against Austing I thought Vader was going out. When I saw dog collar match I thought Vader had a chance. When I saw pin or submission rather than touching the corners I thought that hurt Vader. When I thought about the point mentioned above I really started leaning toward Vader again. (Funny thing is all these thoughts occured in about a 30 second span.) Anyway, my kayfabe mind can see Vader beating Austin. It's a brutal match that suits Vader to perfection and makes Austin vulnerable. I see Austin putting up a hell of a fight but ultimately a 450 pound monster tugging on his fragile neck will be too much for Austin to overcome. Austin doesn't lose any respect because everyone knows about his condition and much like WM13 people appreciate that he just gave it his all. There are still plenty of heros left in this tournament that can try to take Vader down.

EDIT: Submitted my vote after the post and I'm shocked at the voting so far. It's early but I'm surprised to see Vader with a lead. As possibly the second biggest Vader mark here I thought it would be me and IC along with a couple others and Austin would easily win this match. He probably still will but I like the early lead Vader has taken.

I've played it over in my head a billion times. I just can't see Austin truly taking control of this match. When you limit his ability to get away from Vader and keep him at a distance, it just takes away all of his offense. I honestly think Vader would gas him out.

By a hair's length, I'm voting Vader.

I have to go with Vader.

I recall my childhood as a wrestling fan. I remember crying primarily because of wrestling on three occasions.

1) When Earthquake sat on Hogan's chest.
I thought it killed him. That little girl with the Hulk Hogan teddy bear sold it, too. She was in tears so I thought that he was in horrible shape.

2) Ten bell salute for Andre the Giant.
I just remembered seeing him a couple of months before he passed being knocked down by someone, and I thought that had to do with killing him. Hey, I was a kid. I had no clue it was fake until middle school. Stupid Hulk Hogan mini-biography.

3) When Big Van Vader was beating Sting within an inch of his life

[youtube]ssvHgba3tNU[/youtube]

Vader coming out with that freaky ass helmet with smoke coming out made him double creepy. I had a rat tail because of my fondness of Sting, and here comes this brutal ass big man with half a mask on, beating him to a pulp. And Sting was every bit as big as Austin was during those days.

I have to go with Vader here. Austin could conceivably win this match, but he would need at least two or three Stunners to do it. And I don't see that happening.

It's Vader time.

I refuse to get too deep here, but come on...

Steve Austin, in his prime, was the toughest bastard in wrestling. Kane, The Undertaker, HBK, HHH, The Rock, Bret Hart, The Big Show, and many others. Watch Steve Austin's matches (1998 and 1999) - size was rarely an issue for Steve Austin. He'd brawl with the bigger guys better than others his size (Bret Hart, HBK). He could take punishment as well as anyone we've ever seen.

I love Vader, but in a tournament like this, there's no way he takes out Austin. If they had this match, Austin wins 10 out of 10 times. Austin uses that chain to his advantage and puts Vader away with a Stunner. Austin takes a shit ton of punishment in the process, but definitely beats Vader.

Oh, and remember, they get 10 feet of chain. It's not like they're hugging one another :shrug:

In most types of match I would have to go with Austin, but in this one....it was a tough call.

Vader is one of the biggest, meanest, toughest, strongest and stiffest wrestlers in history. He really was one bad motherfucker and being connected to him by a dog collar is not a good situation for anyone, even Stone Cold Steve Austin.

If Vader can take advantage of his superior strength he could get hold of Austin and pound the shit out of him, not many wrestlers can match Vader when it comes to striking. Austin comes close but I think Vader has him beat in this.

The point that made me click the VOTE button for Vader was from IC- Austin broke his neck before he hit his prime...this match is in his prime...he has a weak neck...the collar is tied around his neck...Vader is strong enough to yank on that chain, further damaging Austin's weak neck....Vader wins this for me.

Winner: Vader

I refuse to get too deep here, but come on...

Steve Austin, in his prime, was the toughest bastard in wrestling. Kane, The Undertaker, HBK, HHH, The Rock, Bret Hart, The Big Show, and many others. Watch Steve Austin's matches (1998 and 1999) - size was rarely an issue for Steve Austin. He'd brawl with the bigger guys better than others his size (Bret Hart, HBK). He could take punishment as well as anyone we've ever seen.

I love Vader, but in a tournament like this, there's no way he takes out Austin. If they had this match, Austin wins 10 out of 10 times. Austin uses that chain to his advantage and puts Vader away with a Stunner. Austin takes a shit ton of punishment in the process, but definitely beats Vader.

Oh, and remember, they get 10 feet of chain. It's not like they're hugging one another :shrug:

Again, you're putting too much stock in "how the WWE would book things." You're an unapologetic WWE mark, and I don't blame you for that. We've all drank the WWE Kool-aid at one time or another. The only thing is, I want you to switch your Kool-aid out for a tall glass of Vader-ade.

This match isn't booked in WWE. We're in the International Region, which is Vader's territory. Remember, he was a MULTIPLE time World Champion on 3 different continents. He defeated German great Otto Wanz for a German World Title, he went to Japan and pinned Antonio Inoki in his debut match in Japan (the result of Vader pinning Inoki was a riot that caused NJPW to be banned from the Sumo Hall for years!), and he defeated El Canek for the Mexican World Title. Wanz, Inoki, and Canek were to their respectice countries what Verne Gagne was to the AWA and what Austin was to the WWF. Vader made a career out of destroying those men for their respective World Titles.

So Austin isn't going to be saved by Vince McMahon's bookers this time around. We're in international waters, here, and honestly, maybe nobody in history has the track record Vader has internationally, save for maybe the great Lou Thesz.

....betrayed my childhood, went with Vader.

You know sometimes you open one of these tourney threads, look at the stips and your gut choice is made within a second. I loved Austin, grew up during the AE, but Vader is a muthafuckin' beast. Those WCW days are fucked up. The Stong, Cactus Jack matches are cringe-worthy.

I'm gonna be dead against Vader after this.

I'm gonna be dead against Vader after this.

Keep an open mind, brother.

You're not betraying anything or anyone by voting for the Greatest Superheavyweight in Pro Wrestling history in an international stipulation match featuring a 10 foot chain attached on one end by a 450 lb Mastadon who can perform textbook moonsaults at attached at the other end to a man's once broken neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back