• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

In a World Without George Washington Where Would America be?

Milkyway!

Hodor!
The title of the thread, really says it all. I'm going to do this through mostly memory of what I've learnt about George Washington over the past few years. So, if theres anything important I leave out, I apologise. But, heres my short summary on George Washington.

George Washington, a man who did, or didn't chop down a cherry tree as a child, teenager, or even adult. Would come to be known as one of the, if not the greatest president The United States of America would ever come across.

The man litterally won with 100% of all the voted during the election of 1792, and again in 1796. (Yes, I know, he didn't run agaisnt anyone)

Lets start at the beggening. As a 21-22 year old man, George Washington lead his troops into The Ohio River Valley in order to fight a group of Indians, and the French during the Seven Years War. (The French and Indian War) After his men were slaughtered, and killed George Washington retreated on back, and learned wisely from his mistakes. The start of little old George Washingtons leading abilities would become sharper and sharper, until the days of The Revolutionary War would come around.

After the first Continental Congress a massive boycott occured, in order to stop the Stamp Acts. Sparking the Navigational Acts. Saying the Colonies could only trade with Britain, and Britain alone. Well, no problem, the Colonist simply became smugglers. (pirates) The King then was blind to the smuggling going on, and decided to set up a monopoly on the Tea trades with the Colonies. The Colonist didn't like such a thing which then lead to The Boston Tea Party. This then lead to the Intolerable acts, which then lead to Lexington and Concord. After much duration, the Second Contiental Congress
formed together in order to raise an army, as well as draw up the Declaration of Independence.

Then something miraculous happened. Breeds Hill (Bunker Hill) took place. Unfortanately for us, the British ended up winning, but something VERY important came out of Breeds Hill. A Washington quote, that sparks nationalism in me today. "If I could lose every battle like this, I would win the war"

Now, enough with my little history lesson, as you should allready know the history behind our country. The full point is, Washington won us the war. Washington rallied the troops Christmas Eve, (I forgot the name of the battle) in hopes not to lose every Colonist fighting come next spring. Washington brought over Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben (That was a bonus question on our test a few months back, we had to spell it right, thats the only way I know how thats correct >.>) to train the American farmers into American Warriors. Washington lead our troops into battle countless times. Breeds Hill, Saratoga, Yorktown, Christmas eve, Washington's army was there. Without him, we were nothing during the American Revolution.

Then, we won the war, after Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown, the A.O.C. went into effect, and later proved to be worthless. Then came the Constitutional convention, the New Jersey plan and Virginia plan were battling head to head. Washington simply said "I'm tired of this shit, pick one, or I'm out of here" Thus the Connecticut compramise came to be. Once again, without Washington our Constitution we all love, wouldn't have gone into effect, or even exsist for that matter. Our country would have fallen, and be several diffrent countries just like Europe by now.

Then came Washington's presidency. I'm 100% certain I don't need to go over all the precedents that man set. The National Bank of America, Cabinet, etc? Washington didn't abuse his powers, and knew how to use them when necassary, just look at the Whiskey Rebellion. As well as Washington was a genius, he knew we were just a baby learning to walk. He kept us out of the French Revolution, as he knew that would spark another war with Britain, and a new war with the French monarchy.

So there you have it, most of the things Washington ever did for us. I left out his final speach, as we haven't listened to his words of advice, and we are paying for it today. So today, where would America be without George Washington? Simple, we would be doomed, dead, in the shitter, several diffrent countries, if not still a colony of Britain.

I'm pretty certain that the United States would have come into existance in some shape or form without Washington. It will have taken longer but the wave of nationalism that affected Europe in the 50 years after the defeat of Napoleon could not have been kept from crossing the Atlantic. Much like Canada and Australia, America will have gradually assumed its own sovereignty while remaining within the Commonwealth.

Many of the differences may only have been in nomenclature. The 'States' may have been called 'Counties' or 'Provinces'; any planned capital on the Potomac will have been called 'Victoria'; instead of a 'Senate' and a 'Congress' there would have been a 'Houses of Parliament'; the British monarch would still be Head of State but real power would be divested upon a 'Prime Minister' instead of a 'President'.

I also think that this Washington-less America would have been a similar if exactly the same size as it is today. The drive and ambition that drove Americans to conquer the continent in the 19th century would still have been present without Washington. The American mentality for exploration was an inheritance from the British, although Jefferson must have been encouraged to get to explore the west by reports that the British were already doing so. In fact, the British in Canada, under MacKenzie, had already reached the Pacific in 1793 (to find that the Russians already had seal-hunting lodges at Kodiak, Sitka and Fort Ross). Despite the encouragement provided by such competition, it would be naive to think that a similar expedition to that of Lewis and Clarke would not have been sent out by a still British Colonies. The French and Spanish, worn out and defeated in the Napoleonic Wars, will have had or been allowed little colonial ambition on the American continent leaving the American colonists, under a British flag to embark upon their 'Manifest Destiny' and drive to the Pacific.

Indeed, being under a British flag may have further accelerated the growth of America. By separating themselves from Britain when they did, the Colonists removed themselves from direct involvement in the birth of the Industrial Revolution that was about to make Britain the first global superpower. The speed with which America did catch up with Britain in the mid-19th century was astounding in itself, but what if America had been in on it from the beginning?

Washington is the man who saved the rebel cause back in the waning days of the Revolutionary War. Why? Well....

Sure, the Declaration of Independence was signed. Sure, people were fired up to fight for their country. Not all, but enough. However, the fighting was dirty, dangerous, and kept many people away from their loved ones for long, long periods of time. These tensions all came to ahead when the contracts for the American soldiers expired. Many wanted to leave and return home. However, Washington couldn't lose his entire army. So he made them the promise that he would pay them all an extra 10 dollars a month salary or some shit like that. He got them to believe they would get the money, and he was probably the only person back then that could have done so. Then he somehow got Congress to agree to the pay raise when the government simply didn't have that much money at the time.

Then, you have the Sugar Rebellion (I think that's what it's called) that happened right in the beginning days of the government. Farmers were rebelling against some tax on their products that they didn't deem fair. Washington personally went and quashed the rebellion.

I honestly believe Washington is the only man who could have met these feats of charisma and leadership, (including many others), back then. Sure, you can make the argument that any other man who was on par with Washington could have made the same accomplishments...but that's like saying "Yeah, anyone with the same amount of athleticism as Michael Jordan could make those crazy awesome dunks." That begs the question, was there really anyone that was as good as Washington?

Washington is the man who saved the rebel cause back in the waning days of the Revolutionary War. Why? Well....

Sure, the Declaration of Independence was signed. Sure, people were fired up to fight for their country. Not all, but enough.

This had 1/3 of the Colonist fired up. The other 1/3 were loyalist. The other 1/3 were pursuaded by Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" to join the Colonist rebellion. Washington, did nothing to help pursuade anyone to really join the rebel cause.

However, the fighting was dirty, dangerous, and kept many people away from their loved ones for long, long periods of time. These tensions all came to ahead when the contracts for the American soldiers expired. Many wanted to leave and return home.

Well the first tension came head to head after the Colonist were completely crushed down to about 3,000 soliders. Men were just leaving, because they weren't getting paid. Contracts had nothing to do with anything until about Vally Forge.

However, Washington couldn't lose his entire army. So he made them the promise that he would pay them all an extra 10 dollars a month salary or some shit like that.

Washington had no money to give, whatsoever. That promise couldn't go through, which is why it didn't work. Actually, what kept the Colonist in the army was 2 things. Number one The Battle of Trenton. Where Washington and his men attacked on Christmas eve/day in and simply ran back across the Delaware river only losing 3-4 men. Number 2 Steuben. The Colonist were bloody scared of the man, and the 3,000 that could move did as he said, and the 3,000 that couldn't laid there at Valley Forge waiting to die.

He got them to believe they would get the money, and he was probably the only person back then that could have done so. Then he somehow got Congress to agree to the pay raise when the government simply didn't have that much money at the time.

I've honestly never heard about this raise you're speaking of there Razorback.

Then, you have the Sugar Rebellion (I think that's what it's called) that happened right in the beginning days of the government. Farmers were rebelling against some tax on their products that they didn't deem fair. Washington personally went and quashed the rebellion.

That was the Whiskey Rebellion. It was the first rebellion after Shay's rebellion which proved that we needed a stronger Central government. All the Whiskey Rebellion did was prove the Federal Government's worth. Washington simply marched up to the farmers rebelling and told them one of three things are going to happen. You're going to pay your taxes. We're going to beat you until you pay your taxes. Or were going to kill you, and take your money/property for the taxes you owe us.

I honestly believe Washington is the only man who could have met these feats of charisma and leadership, (including many others), back then.

Incorrect. We had an elite group of extrodinarily intelligent men during the American Revolution, forming of our country, and becoming a stable country. Washington was the glue to all these men, yes, but if Washington didn't exsist. Someone else would have stepped up to bat, and done just what Washington did.

Sure, you can make the argument that any other man who was on par with Washington could have made the same accomplishments...but that's like saying "Yeah, anyone with the same amount of athleticism as Michael Jordan could make those crazy awesome dunks." That begs the question, was there really anyone that was as good as Washington?

That has nothing to do with it. Washington was simply chosen because he was 6'2 (Probably equal to a 7' man back in that day) It caused massive amounts of respect for the man, and when he came in he had such a physic, and height that everyone instantly knew who he was. Thats why Washington was chosen as our first president, the general during the war, and the leader of the Constitutional Congress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back