• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Impact's New Team in "The Booth"

What commentary team would you like to see Impact go forward with?

• The new trio: Todd Keneley, Mike Tenay, Taz

• The old team: Tenay and Taz

• Jeremy Borash and Todd Keneley

• Some other combination of those four men(explain)

• A different team including a new addition(s) (explain, and be realistic, JR is not coming to TNA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Papa Pillman

I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
I'm really liking the new three man commentary team that TNA has used at both Turning Point and this recent set of Impact tapings.

Todd Keneley is a much more natural play-by-play guy than Tenay, and he seems to keep things focused. Tenay seems to be much more at home just getting to be in "the professor" role that he made his name in WCW with, and Taz doesn't get as much mic time for his occasional confused, pointless, interjections. Keneley sets them up nicely to add actual meaningful points and it just feels like a far more productive environment from a listeners perspective as far as explaining and putting over the action.

This may be the best commentary formula that TNA has ever presented. It puts forth the right mix of energy, information, and cohesion, while still allowing Taz's ridiculous brand of "wit" to come into play at times for entertainment purposes. So far the shows appear to run smoother from a commentary point of view and that can only continue to help the product. It seems we will get no more endless droning of sidetracked and off-topic banter between Tenay and Taz to drag down the action that is occurring, as Keneley appears to be there mainly to prevent those types of moments from happening- something he's done pretty well thus far.

What are your thoughts??

Anyone who takes time away from Taz's stuttering and Tenay's bone dry commentating is a fucking hero in my book.

Personally, I prefer JB and Todd on commentary. I absolutely HATE Taz and Tenay. If I was watching TNA for the first time and AJ Styles hit the Styles Clash, I would literally not realize that this is his finisher because Tenay or Tazz didn't make a big deal out of it but instead called it like he snapped in a headlock.

Taz and Tenay are atrocious. TNA needs announcers who give a shit. If they don't, how can the fans?

I was actually PRAYING that they would keep the commentary team from Turning Point and was so glad they did! The three of them are better at keeping me tuned into the match, and its nice for tenay and taz to be asked and give their opinions instead of just Tazz.

I really dont understand why so many people like Borash as a commentator? He's way better as a backstage guy. I also find it insulting to Christy Hemme that he announces the Main Events haha

Also Todd and Borash together just doesnt work because they need guys with wrestling knowledge to fall back on

I'm going to go with the new trio consisting of Mike Tenay, Taz and Todd Kenley. Taz and Tenay really gave Todd a chance to speak unlike JB. Borash did most of the commentating when they were together and he made it out as if TNA picked Todd up from the streets. Now that he's with the "experts" who yes, sometimes ruin moments, he has his chance to shine so I really think that this is a great team.

JB and Todd. I don't like Taz on commentary, and I don't like Tenay on commentary, and this is the only legit option that doesn't have either. JB and Todd are both decent, and Tenay and Taz aren't. Period, point-blank.

I guess I'm going with the trio of Taz, Todd and Mike. Each one brings something different. Mike has the wrestling history part covered, Taz has the in ring history part covered and Todd is a true play by play guy. It's kind of annoying that Todd doesn't get any of the jokes that are made. Granted they aren't really funny jokes but it ruins it when Taz or Mike have to take time to stop and explain the joke to him. Granted he's only been on commentary what twice with them? Of course it's going to take time for him to learn Taz and Mike's personalities. Hopefully it all comes together well and they can each utilize their "skill set" to make a decent team.

I would kind of like to see JB, Todd, and Tenay for a while to see how they do. I can't say that I was ever a big fan of Taz on commentary. I like that they are mixing things up though. It makes the show seem fresh. I prefer JB over Todd, and Tenay has always been a guy I liked in the booth with his knowledge of wrestling moves and history. To me though right now any change is a good change.

I have always thought any three man announce team with mike tenay is better than the two man team they would be without him. But his time at TNA has shown me what I only suspected in the 20th century. He is a mediocre play-by-play man at best. This three man team we have had for the last week may be the best announce team TNA has given us. (I would say "is the best," but the team is new. Let's not rush to judgement.) I like mike tenay. I was pleased when WCW used him, and thrilled when TNA hired him. But he is not suited for the lead role on the team. This move can free him up to do what he does best.

Now on to borash. JB is one of the most crucial people in TNA and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to talk to anyone who has worked there for a while. He can wear many hats. They do not all fit, but he tackles any assignment with gusto and is fiercely loyal to the company. He is not the best ring announcer in the business, but if you go back to, say, the shows where he ring announced for World Wrestling All-stars, he was terrible at it. He held his head up, and gave it everything he could. He wasn't bad because he screwed up or made mistakes, his talents obviously lay in other things besides ring announcing. His work ethic is sterling. I say please, let this man do whatever job he wants to do. He deserves it. But please, Dixie, I beg you. If he wants on the announce team, try to talk him out of it.
I know that he went from a terrible ring announcer to a decent one to a pretty good one (with flawless technique, but no voice for it) in just a few years, but TNA is too big these days to give him the time he needs to become good at play by play, or color, or anything one might do at the announce table.

Sorry. Bit of a rant there. I get passionate when talking ring announcers. You really want to get me to sound forcefull and angry sounding (though not actually angry) all you have to do is get me started on Garcia or Hemme.

But, yeah. This recent three man announce team? Thumbs up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back