• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

iMPACT Rating

Joe's Gonna Kill You

The Hunt is On
TNA Impact last night did a1.4 cable rating, a 1.1 M18-49, a .8 in M18-34, and an average audience of 1.8 million viewers. Among Basic Cable Networks between 9p-11p, TNA ranked #3 among M18-49, behind MTV (Jersey Shore), and TNT (NBA)

Qtr hours: 1.52 1.26 1.32 1.17 1.36 1.43 1.37 1.42 1.48

Gerweck.net

As always the interesting number is next week. This was a big show for TNA so the question is what does this mean as far as holding an audience.

1.3-.14 isn't bad. Its pretty much the usual number for a hyped show. It will probably bounce around between 1.1-1.2 for the next few weeks.

Actually getting to 1.4, even by rounding, is high for TNA. They had not done it since the impact after BFG and only twoish other times that I remember

Yeah this is pretty high for them. Their best is still 1.5 and I think this is the third time or so for a 1.4. Good sign, but again it doesn't mean much if they don't follow up on it.

Interesting thing is that some of the recent shows that got a 1.3 actually had a higher total audience than all three of the times they have got a 1.4.

If TNA can stumble upon a lightening in a bottle idea, they could be competing with the WWE in a year. It's obvious people are interested in TNA, and it seems obvious that when TNA does good hype work, ratings reflect it.

It seems TNA is on the verge of something big, they just need that one big wrestler or angle to get them there.

If TNA can stumble upon a lightening in a bottle idea, they could be competing with the WWE in a year. It's obvious people are interested in TNA, and it seems obvious that when TNA does good hype work, ratings reflect it.

It seems TNA is on the verge of something big, they just need that one big wrestler or angle to get them there.

Important parts bolded. A lot of things would have to fall in place for that to happen. Not impossible though and they've stayed in about the same place for awhile, which can be spun either way.

By far the highpoint of ratings last year was when Hogan first came in. First 9 shows in 2010 averaged 1.264, this year 1.255. They are essentially matching that boost except in a much more stable way (they were already trending downwards by this time last year). I do not think lightning in a bottle is the answer but they seem to be on the right track for slow sustained growth.

Another thing to keep in mind: there's a difference between competing and matching. If they stay on the same nights they're on now, there isn't a direct competition between WWE and TNA. A high rating for TNA doesn't mean anything bad for WWE and vice versa. Important thing to remember.

Important parts bolded. A lot of things would have to fall in place for that to happen. Not impossible though and they've stayed in about the same place for awhile, which can be spun either way.
But they haven't REALLY stayed in the same place for a while. When on Thursdays, TNA has shown small, but noticeable, growth.

And a lot of things wouldn't have to fall into place. That's the wonderful thing about lightening in a bottle, it can happen at any time for any reason. I'm not saying I think TNA will find it, I'm just saying if they could, all other indicators show they would be able to take a major jump in popularity to rival the WWE.

But they haven't REALLY stayed in the same place for a while. When on Thursdays, TNA has shown small, but noticeable, growth.

And a lot of things wouldn't have to fall into place. That's the wonderful thing about lightening in a bottle, it can happen at any time for any reason. I'm not saying I think TNA will find it, I'm just saying if they could, all other indicators show they would be able to take a major jump in popularity to rival the WWE.

Well first of all, they really haven't gone anywhere past what they've done before. They used to get roughly say a 1.2 or 1.3 average and this year it's probably closer to a 1.3 than a 1.2. That's growth, but it's not really anything significant.

The thing I see working against TNA is its a damaged name. People that actually know TNA exists thinks of TNA as the company with the old guys that used to be in WWE and instantly associate it with the minor leagues. That's a big problem that they have that isn't something you can fix overnight. They're known as being a company that gets something promising together and then things go right back to normal. Until they can overcome that, I don't see them going anywhere far past what they have now.

It's amazing how much more enjoyable that show was last night simply by being out of the Impact Zone. I watched an entire episode of impact without having to walk away for the first time in a long time. The Impact crowd ruins the show for me nearly every single time. Simply doing something as getting out of Orlando is a huge step in the right direction.

I love the fact that I believe the Jersey Shore angle was the lowest rated quarter of the entire show. Shows me that people are getting wise to this bullshit and tuning it out. Hogan and Sting's quarter hours at the beginning and end of the show are the highest rated. Mock it if you want, but Hogan and Sting push the needle.

Another thing of note, TNA retained it's audience throughout the night, something they historically have not been able to do.

Well first of all, they really haven't gone anywhere past what they've done before. They used to get roughly say a 1.2 or 1.3 average and this year it's probably closer to a 1.3 than a 1.2. That's growth, but it's not really anything significant.
And a few years ago, they were routinely getting between 1.0 and 1.1. That's the growth I've been talking about.

Yes it's growth which I've said, but it's at such a slow rate I wouldn't call it much to talk about. It's not like they jumped from 1.0 to 1.5 overnight.

Yes it's growth which I've said, but it's at such a slow rate I wouldn't call it much to talk about. It's not like they jumped from 1.0 to 1.5 overnight.
No, but what show that airs every night 52 nights a year for 5 years does? Wrestling shows as much different than your primetime television for so many different reasons.

But in a time where the WWE's ratings fluctuate so much, or I should say, see a big hike during Wrestlemania time, and then slowly sink the rest of the year, TNA's ratings have not only not sunk, they've gone up. The fact they are able to retain their audience, while their product is still kind of small scale (house shows, TV on the road, PPV on the road, etc.) is a positive sign for the company. Given time, and that one red hot feud which captures fans attention, TNA will push themselves up to the top alongside WWE.

They're just missing that one wrestler or angle which gets people to tune in. If they can find it, they'll be just as popular as WWE. They won't be as successful (since the WWE does have decades of experiencing in fine tuning their product), but they'll be just as popular.

Not so sure about that.

They got Kurt Angle. Didn't go up.

They had Samoa Joe being all badass and awesome. Didn't go up.

They had the Mafia. Didn't go up.

Lashley, AJ as the superstar, Sting, Hogan, Bischoff, Flair, ECW, Foley, Hardy and I could go on and on. In short, they've tried all these things and people simply aren't staying for them. Things are slowly going up (other than last year when their average went down but there were other factors to that and it's the first time it's ever happened) but I'm just not seeing something that's going to rocket them up like this. There are too many factors holding it back from being able to catch fire like that.

Not so sure about that.

They got Kurt Angle. Didn't go up.

They had Samoa Joe being all badass and awesome. Didn't go up.

They had the Mafia. Didn't go up.
They obviously weren't the ones people wanted to see. :shrug:

Lashley, AJ as the superstar, Sting, Hogan, Bischoff, Flair, ECW, Foley, Hardy and I could go on and on. In short, they've tried all these things and people simply aren't staying for them. Things are slowly going up (other than last year when their average went down but there were other factors to that and it's the first time it's ever happened) but I'm just not seeing something that's going to rocket them up like this. There are too many factors holding it back from being able to catch fire like that.
I disagree, I just think they haven't found the one yet. While WCW's money situation turned around drastically when Hogan arrived in the middle of '94 (as in, they quit bleeding money, and began making profit), the overall fortunes of the company didn't turn until they hit upon that goldmine angle of the nWo. For all the excitement and following Austin had in '97 and '98, it wasn't until he began feuding with McMahon that you really began to see the WWF take off.

It just takes that one wrestler, or that one angle, to set you off. TNA just hasn't found it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back