If You Want TNA to Challenge WWE, You'll Never Be Satisfied

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
Threads like this are commonplace, and the attitudes with in them seem to suggest that unless TNA is drawing comparable numbers to WWE, it's not doing its job:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=4549253#post4549253

I should precede this by saying I don't watch Impact very often. I don't know what the current creative direction of the I think the whole problem the IWC has is that they think TNA should be able to compete with the WWE. It can't, and it probably never will be able to.

Again, we must look to history to understand why.

The WWE has a huge residual audience because it has existed since 1965 and dominated wrestling since 1984. That's literally generations of people who watch it, and need serious convincing to watch something else. WWE has built up a loyal audience, and most people are not sufficiently into wrestling that they are going to watch multiple broadcasts each week - this is why the Raw audience is far bigger than any other WWE TV broadcast. Sure, there's core fans, but it's clear that TNA has a core fan base, and this will include the majority of the 'wrestling fan' group.

How do you get people to tune into a different wrestling show? Well you can't.

But WCW did!

Oh yes Bischoff tried didn't he? Bischoff realised that he could never build stars that these people would change the channel to see. So he bought the WWE's stars and they brought the fans with them.

Except it wasn't that simple. If you listen to the interviews with Hogan, Savage, Luger, Nash, Hall, Hart etc. - all the names that moved and you see there's one thing they all say. "I would have stayed for the same money at WWF, but WCW offered me more, and it was guaranteed."

Bischoff shot for the moon, and he started to win the ratings war. Except winning wasn't enough. The money that comes from PPV and TV audiences being more than the WWE wouldn't suffice, as the outlay was more. So, the WCW downward spiral began - courting mainstream attention, and signing talents to long term, guaranteed contracts. TNA is not owned by Ted Turner, so it cannot do this.

Meanwhile, Vince McMahon, kept his philosophy, built a show around previous nobodies, and also appreciated he needed something to make the fans switch - after that he could keep them there, something that WCW had done with nWo. So he put all of his eggs in one basket called Mike Tyson. It worked, and the balance shifted. Mike Tyson didn't come cheap, but he was a short term investment for long term gain.

Meanwhile, WCW had made a long term investment for a short term gain, and got more and more into trouble. See now, it was making less in PPV and TV ratings than WWE, but spending more (see the problem?). The stars were on guaranteed contracts so they couldn't remove them, and by the time they closed, they had debts of over 70 million dollars.

I would be willing to bet that TNA hasn't spent that much in its entire existence, let alone had a net spend of that amount.

The only way you can compete with WWE is to take it's audience, and the only way you can do that is with huge financial outlay. It doesn't matter how much better Impact is than Raw, the fact is, without a catalyst, the fans won't move across. The only way that they can make that catalyst is to spunk a load of money they don't have on wrestlers on deals that don't make sense. Or they can attempt to find someone as controversial and famous as Mike Tyson who would associate with professional wrestling and wouldn't come cheap. Dixie isn't a machismo moron like Bischoff was in the WCW days and appreciates that the long term financial stability of the company (a company which has outlasted almost all professional wrestling companies in history) is more important.

Impact is clearly well received - it doesn't lose audience members and more importantly restored its number back to what it was before when it went back to Thursdays.

Appreciate it for what it is. The Monday Night Wars were not sustainable, and could only function because both sides had a budget that was enormous. TNA will never have Ted Turner level investment, nobody in wrestling ever will, and even if they did, the WWE has far more money to cope with a shot across the bows. You get one of the shitty people from Jersey Shore, we get Snooki.

People can complain that they use WWE rejects and model themselves on WWE, but that's a good idea. 1) WWE know what makes a good wrestler, so if they saw something in someone, there's probably something there. 2) WWE is the only American international professional wrestling company that hasn't gone out of business. Except TNA.

The time has come for wrestling fans to realise that TNA is a company that is doing its own thing and whether or not you like it should be based on a self contained critical judgement, not it's perceived threat to WWE. Take it or leave it, but don't will it to be a direct competitor, because it never can be.

This should be common knowledge by now but sadly, as is usual, many members of the IWC are thick as two short planks.

If TNA ever does compete with WWE someday, that's great. It'll be good for the business, good for the fans, good for the wrestlers because the more companies out there the better for wrestling as a whole which is why I support a lot of indy promotions. Without them there is no foundation for everything at the top and then the top is screwed. But it would take a lot of money, for all the stars and planets in the solar system and beyond to align, and quite literally something ground breaking for TNA to ever be on WWE's level as a company, as a product or otherwise, and that is the truth.

I'm a big fan of ROH, but I know It'll never compete with WWE, ever. Even more-so than TNA, unless all the stars align which happens very rarely. That doesn't mean you can't and shouldn't enjoy the product. Lately wrestling on all fronts has been very good, WWE has been hitting every show out of the park, Destination X was great and TNA took a huge chance by putting their top title on an upper midcard guy and ROH has turned negatives into positives with a stacked tournament for the World title and a lot of names announced for the August 3rd show in Toronto. I'm not even really commenting on what happens right now, just enjoying it.

I don't understand all the hate for TNA. Reading on the forums or in the comment section and you see so many comments about how WWE is better and TNA will never catch them in the ratings. I am smart enough to know that TNA will never offer a challenge as they will never have the budget to be able to compete, and I am ok with that. I , for one, do not need a rehash of the Monday night wars. Like Dragon Saga has alluded to , the products of both companies have been pretty good as of late. I am a fan of wrestling in general, I am ok with the fact that TNA will never compete, but am also satisfied that it gives me more wrestling to watch

You're 100% right, but here's the problem: There are a lot of people that are frustrated with WWE, but they take it out on TNA. That's because they feel if TNA were able to challenge WWE, WWE would go back to being as good as they were when WCW was challenging them.

So TNA gets all the heat for the industry being in the shape it's in, and people settle for whatever WWE is doing because there's no hope of them getting better unless they get competition. TNA is in a lose lose, they aren't going to challenge the WWE until they start spending huge bucks, but they'll never get a fair chance do just do their own thing because people will assume that anything and everything they're doing is wrong because they're not competitive with WWE.

TNA will never truly compete with WWE, but that's on their own failures. Even in a market that is very disenchanted with pro wrestling overall, it's been worse, and WWE and WCW both overcame that with Attitude Era antics. TNA has been doing the edgy thing to the death and still no progress. With Dixie being ran over by everyone, Hogan having a big influence on the product and Jarrett ran out of his own company, I don't see them lasting another 10 years, to be honest, although I hope I'm proven wrong.

At this point, the only competition foreseeable to WWE would be one extremely financially boosted and readjusted version of ROH that can treat itself like it's not actually an indy fed.

I disagree in the idea that TNA is not "competition" for the WWE. They may not be a match on ratings, attendance and revenue, but they do compete for talent. TNA was able to sway Kurt Angle to leave WWE and go to them. Desmond Wolfe passed on joining WWE with Daniel Bryan to join TNA. Christian ended up leaving TNA for WWE due to money and Jeff Hardy left WWE for TNA due to the desire for more freedom. WWE and TNA do compete for use of wrestling talents.

On the sense of success, I'll never understand the need to be direct competition to WWE though. Why does TNA need to be on Mondays with Raw? Why does it need to have a 3.0 rating to be seen as an opposable product? TNA is the first company since Jim Crockett Promotions merged and became WCW to grow into a global company with primetime TV like WWE. Matter of fact, aren't WWE and WCW the only companies to do it? It might be kicking and screaming since they didn't have the same resources, but TNA has become #3. Why the need to challenge WWE for #1 then? There's just no logical reason for it.

TNA will never truly compete with WWE, but that's on their own failures. Even in a market that is very disenchanted with pro wrestling overall, it's been worse, and WWE and WCW both overcame that with Attitude Era antics. TNA has been doing the edgy thing to the death and still no progress. With Dixie being ran over by everyone, Hogan having a big influence on the product and Jarrett ran out of his own company, I don't see them lasting another 10 years, to be honest, although I hope I'm proven wrong.

At this point, the only competition foreseeable to WWE would be one extremely financially boosted and readjusted version of ROH that can treat itself like it's not actually an indy fed.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. :banghead:

You do know that it took WCW a bazillion dollars to compete with WWE right? It had very little to do with the quality of the product. It was ALL about the money they spent. Nitro was TERRIBLE every week in terms of quality, outside of 1-2 cruiserweight matches. People watched to see what WWE guys were going to pop up next, along with the fact that Nitro blew Raw away with with it's slick production quality, the fireworks, the nitro girls, the whole nine. Nitro is the reason Raw started going on the road and eventually airing live every week. Do you honestly believe TNA couldn't compete with WWE if they started spending that kind of money on production and people like John Cena, The Rock and Brock Lesnar started showing up on Impact?

And BTW ROH are owned by billionaires already, probably with more cash than TNA's backers. They just don't think enough of ROH to put any real money into it. They want to operate it like one of the old territories, milking the markets they broadcast in (only about 25-30% of the country) for as much as they can get out of them. They have no interest in expanding ROH.

I disagree in the idea that TNA is not "competition" for the WWE. They may not be a match on ratings, attendance and revenue, but they do compete for talent. TNA was able to sway Kurt Angle to leave WWE and go to them. Desmond Wolfe passed on joining WWE with Daniel Bryan to join TNA. Christian ended up leaving TNA for WWE due to money and Jeff Hardy left WWE for TNA due to the desire for more freedom. WWE and TNA do compete for use of wrestling talents.

Kurt Angle left WWE because WWE's grind got to be too much for him, and they wouldn't let him take painkillers and steroids without a prescription. Nigel McGuinness couldn't pass WWE's physical. Christian felt underutilized and underpaid and then realized the grass wasn't greener. Jeff Hardy may have left for freedom the first time, but the second time it was because he was a drug-addled mess embroiled in an ugly lawsuit.

Don't mean to call you out, but in the interest of fairness, TNA didn't so much lure them but rather offered them a paycheck for less work and/or less accountability.

I don't wish ill will on TNA but after the recent releases of talent and the late pays, TNA needs to get their act together if they want to hang with the WWE.

Kurt Angle left WWE because WWE's grind got to be too much for him, and they wouldn't let him take painkillers and steroids without a prescription. Nigel McGuinness couldn't pass WWE's physical. Christian felt underutilized and underpaid and then realized the grass wasn't greener. Jeff Hardy may have left for freedom the first time, but the second time it was because he was a drug-addled mess embroiled in an ugly lawsuit.

Don't mean to call you out, but in the interest of fairness, TNA didn't so much lure them but rather offered them a paycheck for less work and/or less accountability.

I'm aware. But to the point, TNA can and is a major wrestling alternative in the US. With them around, a wrestler doesn't have to take a major leap from the WWE to the indies or have to go to Mexico or Japan to receive the similar pays and benefits WWE offers.

My theory on the subject...

The WWE has a New England Patriot model. Meaning, if you can't cut it after 8 games, they let you go. They are no longer afraid of losing talent like they were in the 90's. They flood the market with non-talented wrestlers. Some of these guys jump ship to TNA or ROH. Really like make that impact, then the Smart Marks make the connection that they were once a WWE Talent. This leading to my conclusion of:

The death of pro-wrestling free agents

Yea, RVD's return to the WWE was pretty awesome. But he has already been there. Didn't really change things.

It wasn't like Jericho in 1999, or Scott Hall in WCW. Unless you are a returning superstar like the Rock. The Free Agent market is gone. That's what WCW cashed in.

TNA really hasn't cashed in on Free Agent market. Kurt Angle, Sting, Jeff Hardy, Kevin Nash, Mick Foley, and the list goes on. Yet the ratings don't go up, and the WWE ratings still do well, and brings in profit.

Today's Answer

Recruit the talent, Only use good workers if you hire free agents (It's how the WWF overcame WCW). Work on Character Management and brand management. I also wanted to mention, that ECW made money after it went under. They didn't buy star after star. Some of the talent was picked up by Talent, or didn't like the WWE or WCW business model.

During the 90's wrestling boom. You know RVD and Tazz (Yes I know he jumped ship) were ECW guys. ECW had better brand management then WCW.

So, the answer is. You need your own guys to compete. You need your own talent, and if they don't cut it. Let them go. Push your guys, let people know who they are.

Yes, I know Chris Sabin just won the belt. Now they just need to promote the hell out of him.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. :banghead:

You do know that it took WCW a bazillion dollars to compete with WWE right? It had very little to do with the quality of the product. It was ALL about the money they spent. Nitro was TERRIBLE every week in terms of quality, outside of 1-2 cruiserweight matches. People watched to see what WWE guys were going to pop up next, along with the fact that Nitro blew Raw away with with it's slick production quality, the fireworks, the nitro girls, the whole nine. Nitro is the reason Raw started going on the road and eventually airing live every week. Do you honestly believe TNA couldn't compete with WWE if they started spending that kind of money on production and people like John Cena, The Rock and Brock Lesnar started showing up on Impact?

And BTW ROH are owned by billionaires already, probably with more cash than TNA's backers. They just don't think enough of ROH to put any real money into it. They want to operate it like one of the old territories, milking the markets they broadcast in (only about 25-30% of the country) for as much as they can get out of them. They have no interest in expanding ROH.

I do think TNA could compete with WWE if that happens. But the problem is: that would never happen. The only irreplaceable stars TNA got off of WWE to date were Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy, and neither of those by themselves were enough. Even with money, TNA already proved they have a problem with the distribution of its funds what with the recent layoffs and late payments. If you gave Impact all that and more, they'd still book and spend themselves back to a 1.0 average, sadly. That's why I said what I said about ROH: for someone so small, they do have a pretty good following. Imagine if the billionaires wanted to put Vince out and expanded. They could expose to a large market great performers like Shelton and Jay Lethal, draw back many of the big leagues defects like Bourne, Samoa Joe and CM Punk (the latter being a major steal and a huge possibility considering Punk seems to fall in and out of love with WWE) and provide decent competition.

I don't get what the malfunction is with people that it has to be WWE versus TNA anyway. They can both exist and people can enjoy both, either, or neither. I don't watch TNA very often, but when I need a rasslin' fix on a Thursday, I'll tune in. I used to be a more dedicated viewer, but I'm just not feeling much of what they've been doing. And that's okay. TNA is an alternative. That's the word we should be using instead of "competition." They provide an alternative for fans and performers, and we should all be thankful for that.

I joke sometimes, but I've never been a member of the TNA doomsaying crowd. In regards to TNA's recent moves, I've said a number of times that making cuts and losing money can happen when you're trying to grow a business. It's clear they're suffering from some poor management decisions and lapses, and anyone who denies that is being a blind follower. However, anyone who thinks that these problems won't be addressed and will lead to the downfall of the company is being a blind opponent.

The world is big enough for more than one wrestling promotion. We can have our favorites and allegiances; we're supposed to. That being the case, though, there's absolutely no good reason to be so blind as to fail to acknowledge problems with our favorite or to wish ill on the other. Fanboyism and flame wars are fun and all, but there comes a point where everyone taking part starts to look like an asshole.

Simple. I watch TNA because I prefer what they are putting on as oppsoed to WWE. And I prefer to watch their roster generally than WWE's. I have no interest in TNA trying to become another WWE thats why I watch it!
I gave up on pro wrestling after the demise of WCW & ECW when I realised how stuffed WWE was becoming. TNA offers a fresh product for me , soemthing different to WWE. Lets hope they stay that way.

UMMM, TNA isn't competition to the WWE, not because of content, but simply because of scope. Yes, Spike TV reaches a lot of homes, more so than when they were TNN and ECW was on there. WWE is a worldwide brand that is recognized by anyone, fan or not. Whether it be by the F or the E, you'd be hard pressed to find someone outside of third world or oppressed countries that haven't heard of the E/F.

TNA is another story. Hell, in their own company they have an identity crisis. Is it TNA, or is it Impact wrestling?? I know what the deal is, but I also know this business better than most.

TNA hit 1.4 million viewers last week. Why? Well, because people that started watching in the early days, and then got turned off tuned in because of one letter: X. The X division was what set TNAS apart from others, and should be a focus. Going live, signing released or 'free agent' talents (short of Austin or the Rock, and even that would be a short term gain) will not do it. TNA needs to find, have and maintain and identity that does not have the word Hogan anywhere near it.

My theory on the subject...

The WWE has a New England Patriot model. Meaning, if you can't cut it after 8 games, they let you go. They are no longer afraid of losing talent like they were in the 90's. They flood the market with non-talented wrestlers. Some of these guys jump ship to TNA or ROH. Really like make that impact, then the Smart Marks make the connection that they were once a WWE Talent. This leading to my conclusion of:

The death of pro-wrestling free agents

Yea, RVD's return to the WWE was pretty awesome. But he has already been there. Didn't really change things.

It wasn't like Jericho in 1999, or Scott Hall in WCW. Unless you are a returning superstar like the Rock. The Free Agent market is gone. That's what WCW cashed in.

TNA really hasn't cashed in on Free Agent market. Kurt Angle, Sting, Jeff Hardy, Kevin Nash, Mick Foley, and the list goes on. Yet the ratings don't go up, and the WWE ratings still do well, and brings in profit.

Today's Answer

Recruit the talent, Only use good workers if you hire free agents (It's how the WWF overcame WCW). Work on Character Management and brand management. I also wanted to mention, that ECW made money after it went under. They didn't buy star after star. Some of the talent was picked up by Talent, or didn't like the WWE or WCW business model.

During the 90's wrestling boom. You know RVD and Tazz (Yes I know he jumped ship) were ECW guys. ECW had better brand management then WCW.

So, the answer is. You need your own guys to compete. You need your own talent, and if they don't cut it. Let them go. Push your guys, let people know who they are.

Yes, I know Chris Sabin just won the belt. Now they just need to promote the hell out of him.

I agree with this to an extent. But it's not that TNA didn't cash in on their free agents. The problem is that they were never that valuable to begin with. Once they were away from the WWE platform they lost relevance, because the WWE is designed that way in 2013.

Jim Cornette compared WWE to Disney on Ice and the Harlem Globetrotters in a shoot recently. Those are brands where the performers are interchangeable. That's what WWE is now. With the exception of Cena, all the guys that are holding belts and wrestling in these big main events right now would be forgotten the moment they left. That's Bryan, Punk, Orton, RVD, Jericho, everybody. WWE won't allow anybody to reach the level Hogan, Rock, or Austin did, because they all walked away and took that energy and made money for other people.

WWE ain't letting that happen again. Remember that promo between Cena and McMahon during the 'Summer of Punk' when Vince told Cena "Don't be like Hogan and all those people that came before you. This is my company, not yours!" And Cena replied "Everyone is replaceable, I get it"? That was real shit. That's their philosophy and even I'll admit at this point TNA made a big mistake signing ex WWE stars to build their brand up, with the exception of Kurt Angle who is an outstanding performer regardless of what he draws, Jeff Hardy who reportedly moves a lot of merch and even Hulk Hogan. People kill Hogan but he owns TNA's highest rated segment -2.9 million viewers during his debut segment.

RVD said people asked him why he retired while he was in TNA. And now everyone's talking about him. Many foolishly say this is an indictment on TNA. But if I were RVD I'd be a little hurt that going from a wrestling ring with red ropes to a wrestling ring with blue ropes would make people forget about me. But these guys have egos to salvage I guess. So he'd rather just pretend that 50 second video was the difference. Yeah, that's it :rolleyes:

I don't understand all the hate for TNA. Reading on the forums or in the comment section and you see so many comments about how WWE is better and TNA will never catch them in the ratings. I am smart enough to know that TNA will never offer a challenge as they will never have the budget to be able to compete, and I am ok with that. I , for one, do not need a rehash of the Monday night wars. Like Dragon Saga has alluded to , the products of both companies have been pretty good as of late. I am a fan of wrestling in general, I am ok with the fact that TNA will never compete, but am also satisfied that it gives me more wrestling to watch

I think the reason that people like to make fun of TNA is the jabs that they and their fans take at WWE. I've noticed TNA hasn't been doing this much lately but the hardcore TNA fans are annoying with all of the shit they talk on WWE. It would be like fans of an arena league football team saying they're better than the Patriots.

I personally am just satisfied that TNA is a watchable wrestling product on Thursday nights.

^^^^^Ah, the old 'They Started It!' excuse. Nope, that's definitely not it. This ain't footbll and there is no team to root for, it's wrestling. WWE talent isn't better than TNA talent or vise versa. They're fake wrestlers, nobody's competing. WWE has a bigger following and more fans because they spend years building it.

Sometimes I wish TNA was number five in the list of current pro wrestling companies so people would just shut up. Every move TNA makes is ridiculed with "That won't make them beat the WWE". Not every single thing they do is meant to counter the WWE. They don't live to compete with the WWE just as the WWE does not live to compete with TNA.

In reality, I think both companies care about themselves only, they keep an eye on the other one for a good idea to snatch up and then just move on doing their own thing. The only people who constantly mix and match them are all of us. We find all the crazy similarities to WCW and ECW. We find all the numerous flaws that in actuality don't mean a thing. We come up with all the theories of TNA folding or WWE going back go PG14. We live in our own little world where we know something.

Truth of the matter is - WWE and TNA are probably doing fuckin' swell. I bet you WWE is making a whole lot of money despite having a bad product and I also bet you that TNA is doing well financially despite recent rumors and Hulk Hogan.

On topic: TNA will never compete with the WWE. Meaning, they'll never be on their level in terms of ratings and popularity. This is coming from a TNA mark. It won't happen, forget about it, stop dreaming about it, WWE will continue their monopoly on the business and that's that. It's too, fucking, big. That's what she said. They control too much of the market, they have too many resources, they have too many connections and they have too much to lose to let a redneck chick take even a fraction of what they fought to build over the last fifty years.

EVEN if TNA did somehow manage to grow as big as RAW, they would fail. WWE is just too big, this isn't 1994, the whole industry is a new animal and Dixie Carter ain't no Ted Turner. IF TNA had the unlimited finances WCW had then we can talk again, but they don't.

However, I firmly believe that at this point in time TNA has the superior PRODUCT. I watch the WWE on a regular basis, believe it or not, I don't fast forward and I don't watch it expecting it to be bad. I watch it as a fan. Some episodes are alright, some are not, but compared to what I see on Impact, they're dogshit. TNA won't be able to compete with the WWE on a business level, but product wise they can easily blow them out of the water as they have for quite a long time now.

People often confuse business success and product quality. They don't have to be connected and dependent on one another. Just because WWE is far more successful business-wise, doesn't mean it's automatically better. Two days ago I came back from a vacation. Strolling down the street I see all those people shoving big macs in their faces and sucking on cola straws while comfortably sitting in a fancy looking McDonalds. That crap must've cost about 7 or 8 EUR in total. Who knows. Meanwhile, I was just coming back from a burger place that wasn't that known, sold outstanding food and cost half of what I would've paid at McDonalds, AND it didn't give me explosive diarrhea.

See where I'm getting at? With the WWE, most people buy the brand, not the product (just as they do with McDonalds, Burger King or whatever other hellspawn food chain you can think of). They expect it to be good because it's the WWE and when it isn't they find a way to smudge the truth a little bit, otherwise they'll be the idiots who think the WWE is bad. How could it be? Look at the pyro, the stars, the production values!

Meanwhile, TNA's brand at this point is that other wrestling company that sucks. They didn't mean it to be that way it's just that the IWC has turned it into that (with a little help from TNA ... heh ). Thanks assholes. Therefore, when TNA does something bad it gets an "of course, TNA being TNA again" reaction, and when it does something good it's the most unbelievable thing in the world, only TNA marks like it, it's some bullshit and there ain't no way in hell this is better than Curtis Axel, u crazy?! Don't believe me? Look at the responses for Curtis Axel getting a push and Chris Sabin winning the World Title. Anyone who thought Axel (a guy who cannot speak, cannot wrestle much and doesn't have a look) wouldn't be any good was almost lynched. However, somehow, Chris Sabin - a great wrestler, a guy with a look (if he cut that mop off his hair and got his old gear back), been in TNA for ages and also can't speak - getting a great storyline, a great feel good moment and essentially a reward for sticking with TNA even though he blew both his knees out, is unthinkable and is the dumbest decision of them all.

Despite all the BS, however, that's what all of us TNA fans want. A great product, something to admire, something to make us happy. TNA has been delivering in that aspect a lot more than the WWE does, therefore we're happy campers. Well, at least I am, but I prefer product over numbers. Fuck me, right?

To be fair, Desmond Wolfe failed a WWE medical, and has now been forced into retirement for a medical issue, Kurt Angle was released because he wouldn't get his painkiller addiction sorted. Would the WWE have kept Jeff Hardy? Probably, but one unorthodox wrestler moving because he wants more time to work with his band isn't really a real competition.

To be fair, Desmond Wolfe failed a WWE medical, and has now been forced into retirement for a medical issue

That's not even why he doesn't wrestle, he retired because he doesn't see the point anymore, his body has taken a lot of abuse and to further that for little money or recognition is pointless for him despite his love of wrestling. In LOM he vents his frustration with TNA who wronged him by telling him they were behind him only to release him.

The whole "compete with WWE" era seemed to start with the hiring of Hulk Hogan, and I've often wondered whether it was the idea of the TNA brain trust or Terry Bollea himself. ("Brother, let the Hulkster get his 24-inch pythons around WWE's neck and we'll be the #1 wrestling company in no time!")

Is it possible he sold himself as a savior....or did they call him, figuring his royal presence would actually allow them to join the established company in it's prime time spot on Monday night and instantly come out on top?

As it is, TNA has learned by hard experience and made much better business choices since being chased back to Thursday nights with their tails between their legs. I don't know what their financial situation is now and how much monetary burden still remains from the mistakes of the past, but they've seemingly gotten their creative house in order and I hope they can survive.....not as a competitor fighting for the #1 spot, but as a nice alternative to the top player in the game. Better for everyone.

TNA needs to realise, as has been stated to death, that they will never compete with WWE. Instead of trying to conquer the North America Market and knock the big 'E off it's throne and coming off like a second rate clone, they should try to be the best damn alternative to WWE. It'd be better for them to be widely known (as they once were) as a superior alternative, than second rate.

Why do you think it works for ROH and it worked for ECW? Because there was no pretense. They know they're third, they know they can't/couldn't compete. So instead of throwing money at cheap promotional material and people that can't draw, they cater to their audience and expand mostly through word of mouth. Sure, they'll probably go under and won't be around forever, but they fit a niche and that niche keep coming back week on week because they're happy with the product.

TNA could do to learn that and take advantage of it.

They get a solid 1.1 every week, Spike is happy with that so it gets their product out there. Fans still buy the merch, sure they lose out on PPV but that just is what it is, they are minor league so they shouldn't expect any less. But any money they make a profit on is money they should be rightly putting back into the company.

They've tried going on the road, it's costing a fortune, but it's better to go out and see if it works than sit at the Impact Zone making zero at the gate and hoping for something to turn the tide. They have to keep putting themselves out there and doing as little better each time.

The simple fact is though, it would take a miracle for them to actively compete Monday Night Wars style. And even then it wouldn't work like it used to, why you ask? Well, Vince is prepared.

Even if TNA had billions of dollars to put behind promoting the company, increasing production values, making the entire thing look big budget, hire someone other than Dale Oliver to do all the music, stop letting Mike Tenay do his Billy Butcherson face and letting Taz ("THAT'S WITH ONE Z" - Joey Styles) basically say whatever the fuck he wants regardless if it's like having a conversation with a mentally handicapped Riddler. Even if they had all the money in the world to lure away John Cena and Randy Orton and Ziggler and Punk it still wouldn't help TNA compete. Why? 3 words. No. Compete. Clause.

Yep. Vince would fuck them over with that. Because Vince is a smart motherfucker. Anyone knows that if a WWE star wants to leave their contract and not re-sign with the company they have 90 days where they can't go anywhere else. They also pretty much job left right and centre on their way out as a way to I dunno...teach them a lesson and in part to sap their credibility.

So say TNA puts billions of dollars into luring say...Cena out of the company. First of all, that's 3 months he can't show up on TV and wrestle, wrestling fans (especially the kids) are pretty fickle, Vince would replace him in weeks with the second tier top face, push the merch and that would be that. Secondly, TNA fans would again resent Cena for being a "big WWE name" that would come in and crush all the lovely, flawless home grown TNA Talent. Thirdly WWE trademarks the fuck out of everything, Cena would come in and be unable to do all his signature taunts, his moves would be renamed, there'd be no more Hustle, Loyalty and Respect. He'd be a shell of his former self. And if he did all that, WWE would file a class action lawsuit.

The same goes for everyone else fans think could "make" TNA.

The simple fact is, like I said at the start, they need to settle and be the best alternative they can. Fire the writing team and get rid of all the dead wood (I'm looking at you Hogan, and your silly bandanna-wig) that do not boost the ratings. Keep everyone around the fans pay to see. Re-invest in production quality, and ride a slow mounting wave of steady success. Word of mouth, positive internet feedback, sensible business decisions, they could all factor into a better product. Simply trying to be the next WWE is doing nothing for them.

To be fair this all started when TNA tried to take WWE head on. The move to Mondays and the constant shots. Once that happened the floodgates opened.

The biggest reason why TNA will never compete with WWE is the fact that their backing is not big enough. WCW had Turner and Turner answered to no one. Spike handles the bigger TNA contracts and they also have Panda but neither is willing to throw the money around that TT did. I am not sure they even have the money that TT did.

I have to agree with Tastycles here; the only way they can get on a serious competitive level is if they somehow gain a high budget which they don't really have to worry about if they do. From there they can literally start spending as much as they want to compete with the WWE. It is unfair to say that they're not a threat, given that they have taken some top stars from WWE (Hulk Hogan says it all) and they arguably have the better product, it's just the fact that they won't get that number one spot or more popularity.

WWE has a network on the horizon, thousands in attendance and millions at home, a film studio, DVD's, magazines, books, toys, clothing and video games. TNA may have some if those but not as many as the WWE, and the quality isn't as good either.

Those are the reasons TNA isn't as popular; because of all the money the WWE has. These are the reasons and the only way Impact can do the same is if Bob sells Panda Energy and hands the money over to Dixie. They can come up with a few action figures and a game every flew years but it will never work for them. Like Zeven said, WWE is a brand. People buy things from brands. Not wrestling companies.

WWE has all of that, yet TNA have things the WWE wish they could do. They have an amazing roster, better product and better presentation. Vincent may have enough money for his pyros and lightning affects, but Impact's camera work and backstage promos are well presented and for some reason, keep me engaged more. They even have a Hulk Hogan, yet their ratings and buy rates are very low. Because of the money factor. If they have a better product and roster, and they still can't beat the WWE, they never will.

What everyone should note down is that TNA doesn't suck because of its low ratings and buy rates, it is because they don't have the money to become a serious threat to Vince McMahon. WCW did and that is why they could compete. ECW didn't which is why they couldn't. TNA also doesn't which is why they are not and may never will. I don't know what it takes for a large amount of money, but they do need it if they do want to become the number one wrestling company out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back