IC25's "4 To Vote 4"

Has IC25 Convinced You at All? (vote as many as you want to)

• He's sold me on Yokozuna!

• He's sold me on Vader!

• He's sold me on Simmons!

• He's sold me on Sasaki!

• He's sold me on EVERYONE!

• He hasn't sold me. Git.

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
With the fantastic anticipation of the 2nd Annual Wrestlezone Forums Tournament in full-swing now, I wanted to take a moment to campaign for one man in each bracket whom I feel you all need to give a look to, and who should earn your votes more times than not. I fully expect a mix of agreement and disagreement on each of these, but that's why I am posting it - in an effort to convince you.

ECW Region

Yokozuna1.jpg

Yokozuna is, in my book, the greatest heel in WWE history. He was an unstoppable, believable Super Heavyweight at 505 lbs during his debut and as much as 700 lbs during his later years. A formidable 2-time WWF Champion, Yoko holds impressive wins over the likes of Bret Hart, The Undertaker, and Hulk Hogan, as well as some strong feuds with Lex Luger and Jim Duggan. His entourage of Jim Cornette and Mr. Fuji also gave him the appearance of a true monster led by deceitful leadership, tugging at the heartstrings of pro-americans and conjuring memories of World War 2 videos and the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Before Yoko even LOST a match, he attempted the biggest slap in the face of America - and among the best marketing ploys in WWF history - a bodyslam contest on the Fourth of July aboard the Intrepid in New York City. What genius. The man was so massive and unmovable, yet so many signed up to be a part of the event. In one day, the man renewed a sense of partriotism in wrestling fans as Lex Luger completed the slam and won the contest. For someone who didn't speak English for years, he did an admirable job.

He also reincarnated the feel of Andre the Giant, as a dominating World Champion in the early going, he teamed with Owen Hart in the later years of declining health and still made fans gawk at his size. Tragically, despite losing a great deal of weight, he died of a heart attack at age 34.

Yokozuna vs Ron Killings - Yoko would squash captain high spot. Killings is athletic and has talent, but he is like 220 pounds, and wouldn't be able to knock Yoko off his feet, let alone pin his shoulders to the mat.

Yokozuna vs Ricky Steamboat - See: Ron Killings

Yokonuza vs The Warlord - Warlord has the power to match with Yoko, but his #1 weapon, the Full Nelson, is USELESS against Yoko. Even Warlord couldn't wrap his arms around Yokozuna, and he sure as hell can't slam him.

TNA Region

200px-Leonvader.jpg

My pick to win the entire tournament is Big Van Vader. While I consider Yokozuna to be the greatest heel of all time, I look at Vader as the greatest Superheavyweight in history. In the early 1990's, Vader dominated WCW with the likes of Ric Flair and Sting hanging around. He helped make the legacy of Ron Simmons in his title matches with him, and of course, had a tremendous feud with Mick "Cactus Jack" Foley culminating in the Texas Death Match at Halloween Havoc.

Vader was as agile as a 250 pounder. He hit moonsaults when you least expected it, and the Vader Bomb and Vader Splash were as high impact and vile as they were visually impressive. Vader also used his weight well and sold as a big man should. He used the same psychology as a killer in a slasher film - put him down, but he keeps coming at you, slowly stalking you. If he gets the upper hand, you're getting punished.

In addition to mat and high flying wrestling ability, Vader also came equipped with some Martial Arts skills, hitting open-handed ear punches that made anyone cringe. He wasn't so big that he was immoble, yet was still one of the biggest champs in wrestling history.

Vader vs Barry Windham - This is actually Vader's hardest test. Barry is strong, agile, and is familiar with Vader and the times he wrestled. Here's the issue - everything Windham does well, Vader does a little better. Windham is strong, Vader is stronger. Windham is agile, Vader is more agile. Windham is ruthless, Vader is a monster.

Vader vs James Storm - Similar to Windham, only Storm also doesn't have Windham's experience, so I'd look for this match to be even easier for Vader to win.

Vader vs Lance Storm or Hakushi - A joke. Storm can't expect to mat wrestle Vader into a submission or a pinfall. Vader would have an easier time with these two that he did with Storm.

SO NOT ALLOW THE BAD BOOKING OF THE WWE IN 1996-1998 TO INFLUENCE YOU AWAY FROM THIS LEGEND! Vote Vader in the TNA Region and beyond!

WWE Region

simmons.jpg

I will not post a picture of this man with that silly "Damn!" shirt on. Fact is, long before the hilarious gimmick, even prior to the great Acolytes Tag Team, Simmons was a tremendous athlete and champion. He is the first African American World Champion ever, when he defeated Vader for the WCW Title in the early 90's before suffering a shoulder injury and dropping it back.

Take it even a step further. Simmons, along side Butch Reed, was one half of one of the late 80's / early 90's best tag teams of all time, DOOM. Managed by Teddy Long, Doom came out for sneak attacks whipping opponents into submission with weightlifting belts. They were angry, fast, strong, athletic - Ron Simmons himself is the Apollo Creed of pro wrestling, and he deserves a look. OH YEAH, he turns 60 this year!

Ron Simmons vs Yuji Nagata. I don't know Nagata at all. Simmons wins for familiarity. Sorry, Japan marks.

Ron Simmons vs Raven / Santino. Raven is talented, but he's not too much more than hardcore and he's out of his element here. Simmons is stronger and just as ruthless from his Doom days. Santino is too green, and since the entire match doesn't occur on the microphone, the former WCW World Champion gets the nod either way. He could also then go on to defeat Bam Bam Bigelow the same way he beat Vader in the 90's.

Ron isn't my pick to win the region, but he deserves consideration, at least for a few rounds.

WCW Region

Kensuke_sasaki.jpg

I almost went with Tully Blanchard, but more of you know Tully than Sasaki, and going up against Eddie Guerrero first round, there is more of a need for you to know who this is. And that is, to be specific, a Japanese Wrestling Legend.

Like many all-time greats, Sasaki started as a tag team wrestler, forming a team with Road Warrior Hawk in New Japan and winning several tag championships. He also held titles in a promotion you may have heard of - Stampede Wrestling in Canada. In November of 1995, he won the WCW United States Title over Sting, in a match held in Japan. He is also a two-time winner of the G-1 climax tournament, which is a standing room only wrestling event in Japan which makes the front page of Japanese newspapers.

Sasaki is a 5-time IWGP World Title holder, and a 7-time IWGP tag-team champion. He and Hiroshi Hase enjoyed Match of the Year honors with the Steiners in 1991, and even at advancing age, Sasaki was ranked #103 in the PWI 500's Singles Wrestlers and held #27 and #50 spots on the tag team list with different partners.

Sasaki vs Eddie Guerrero - TOUGH match, but I think Sasaki has the wherewithall to post the biggest upset in the tournament. Sasaki made a career of defeating everyone, from the fast, high flyer (like Guerrero) on up. He has a win over Sting for God's sake! Guerrero is talented, but his untimely death has made him little more than a sentimental favorite and should not get past Sasaki in the first round. Remember, Eddie's really an overacheving Cruiserweight.

Sasaki vs Iron Sheik - Tough match, but Sasaki has elements of his game that Sheik doesn't. Sheik is ruthless and has a nasty submission move, but he was fairly over rated and acted as the transitional champ in a tainted win over Bob Backlund to give the WWF Title to Hulk Hogan. Sasaki should dismantle the slow, deliberate Sheik in under 20 minutes.

Ok, so there you go. 4 guys YOU should vote for, and the reasons WHY you should. I welcome the debate, and I have included a poll for you to tell me if I've successfully convinced you or not.

IC25

Out of your choices I'd go for Vader. Purley for the fact that we could probably get some noobs to support him. I honestly think you could get enough people behind him. I doubt anybody would get behind Yokozuna, he killed the WWE version of Hulkamania, until 2002 anyway. As for a wrestler who's Japanese and hasn't been in WWE. Ha. Good luck IC.

Not bad IC. You got me on vader and yoko, who i was more than likely voting for anyway, but you convinced me to think they could go deep. Simmons I always thought was underrated. He was WCW champion and this is hardly ever talked about. He in his prime was one of the best all around ever in wcw. Sasaki....sorry not going over eddie no matter how much is said.

As far as the four picks in question.

Yokozuna: Yup, pretty much one of the most forgotten title reigns in recent history. The guy dominated the WWE for the better part of a year and a half, defeated Hogan and Hart for Titles, and pretty much was an unstoppable force. The problem, this is the internet, and unless a guy can do a triple corkscrew hurricanrana jumping jack 450 shootstar springboard moonsault elbow drop, then he obviously can't wrestle. I honestly think Yoko can go pretty good in this thing, but Steamboat is a big problem and the Undertaker is a wall. The Undertaker wasn't in his prime, and he still was the one guy that gave Yoko all the trouble in the world. I just can't see Yoko getting past the dead man.

Vader: Yup, the dark horse of the tournament. Between him and Bam Bam, the two greatest Super Heavyweights (mobile) too compete. Vader should go far, granted he gets past Windham in round one.

Ron Simmons: I think the Damn! Factor is going to be a big Factor. Most guys only know him from teh APA or the Damn!, but guess what, that's enough alone to get him pretty far on here. Take it to account the guy was tough as nails, and a pure powerhouse, the guy is dangerous.

Sasaki. Pigs have a better chance of flying out of my ass then Sasaki getting past Guerero in round One. Personally, I feel Sasaki should win, but we'll be in the big time minority.

You sold me on Yoko and Vader, but not the other two. I was already pretty high on Vader though (I have him advancing to the semi-finals of the entire thing or winning his region), I can't remember who I have Yoko losing to, probably Taker. But Yoko is very underrated, and should advance a few rounds.

As of now, 3 of my "4 to Vote 4" are still alive, with only 63rd seeded Kensuke Sasake losing to #2 seeded Eddie Guerrero. The people on this board are showing proper love to three all-time greats in Simmons, Vader, and Yoko.

Yokozuna doesn't have a tough match until he meets up with the Undertaker in round 4 or 5, and even then I think Yoko's got a damn good shot.

Vader will beat Flair, and Vader should beat Flair. Vader has beaten Flair. It shouldn't be close, and I will have a long peice explaining why.

Simmons should come back and beat Bam Bam Bigelow with the help of those of you who have not yet voted. Simmons matches up so well again Bigelow, and should get to round 4 before bowing out to Michaels. Get those votes in, people!

I have been, and will be going for Vader until he meets up with Angle. I have the image of him as WCW Champion breaking Joe Thurman's back burned into my eyes. When I was a kid my dad would bring WCW PPV's on VHS for us to watch, Vader actually made me fear for my favorites like Pillman and Sting. If you all had this image in your heads, you would vote Vader until he met up with an Olympic Gold Medalist too.

I have been, and will be going for Vader until he meets up with Angle. I have the image of him as WCW Champion breaking Joe Thurman's back burned into my eyes. When I was a kid my dad would bring WCW PPV's on VHS for us to watch, Vader actually made me fear for my favorites like Pillman and Sting. If you all had this image in your heads, you would vote Vader until he met up with an Olympic Gold Medalist too.

And when he gets there, I will be prepared with an essay on why Vader should go over Angle, too. Even though Angle was at one time my favorite to win the thing, I am with Big Van Vader until the end, be it bitter or sweet. Vader is the greatest SHW in wrestling history, and to be honest, I'd put him over Andre.

And when he gets there, I will be prepared with an essay on why Vader should go over Angle, too. Even though Angle was at one time my favorite to win the thing, I am with Big Van Vader until the end, be it bitter or sweet. Vader is the greatest SHW in wrestling history, and to be honest, I'd put him over Andre.

That could happen, I did the predictions on Bracketmaker and have Vader facing off against Andre in the tournament semi-finals. I am as with Vader as anybody here, I almost put him in my sig but you beat me to it.

If the essay isn't in proper APA format I will disregard it without even reading a sentence. Honestly, your best chance would be to go to the video section and post a bunch of Vader's first few WCW matches. I tried posting his very first WCW match, against the Z Man, but I couldn't get it to work.

see I am a Vader fan, but i am an even bigger Angle fan. So you are going to have to persuade me with your best work. If anyone can persuade me on this board, it is probably you. But it is Kurt Angle, if it was against anyone else you might have another Vader supporter, but i just cant see myself voting for Vader, over Angle. I will only read it if it is in size 12, and the font is Arial.

APA format is used only by the American Psychological Association, and is a far less logical format than the one employed by the MLA, or "Modern Language Association. The MLA format specifically deals with writing style, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and citation.

It is not to be confused with the KLS, or "Konnan Language System" where at least every 7th word has to be an expletive and random capitalization anywhere but the first word of a sentence is encouraged.

As for 12 point Ariel - we'll see.

APA is decent. The only thing stupid about it is that the pages don't fit as much on them due to the margins. When its printed out it looks nice though. Either way, if you want to convince me, you'll use it.

In all seriousness Angle, is the only one in that region I would put over Vader. Sure, he lost to Stone Cold in WWF, but he was so badly misused it was sicking. I'd put him over Austin in a heartbeat. Angle however, is one of the all time best, just slighty above Vader.

APA format is used only by the American Psychological Association, and is a far less logical format than the one employed by the MLA, or "Modern Language Association. The MLA format specifically deals with writing style, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and citation.

It is not to be confused with the KLS, or "Konnan Language System" where at least every 7th word has to be an expletive and random capitalization anywhere but the first word of a sentence is encouraged.

As for 12 point Ariel - we'll see.

As long as you right justify it, it'll be alright. No but in all seriousness, Angle is like the only person in this region that i would put over Vader. Angle is an all time great, and Vader is an all time great if not the greatest SPH to ever lace a pair of boots. I could see Vader making a mistake, and Angle locking in the Ankle Lock after a hard fought battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back