"I never really liked him, but..."

Welp?

• It's making something out of nothing; you're wrong.

• It's no big deal, but I can see what you mean

• I'm ambivalent

• I mean, now that you mention it...

• Yeah, that's annoying to me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Con T.

Yaz ain't enough, I need Fluttershy
Anyone else get a little bothered when someone says something along those lines? I'm legitimately curious if it bothers anyone else when, upon hearing bad news for a person, someone goes, "I don't like him, but that absolutely sucks. Best wishes."

I'm pretty sure I'm not in the norm on this, but it annoys me when someone does this. Earlier today, Bringthepain834 posted this:

Bret kinda wears on my nerves nowadays with his bitterness, but seeing that he now has to battle prostate cancer absolutely sucks and my best wishes to him and his family.

I doubt BTP had any form of ill will, at all. But I do find it annoying when a person has to start their condolences with something along those lines.

I found the same thing happened, with Pats fans and Chris Mortenson. When Mort was diagnosed with throat cancer, I saw many Pats fans say "I always thought he was a shitty reporter, but that sucks". Or something along those lines.

Again, more often than not, I doubt there's any ill meaning behind what they think they're saying. But is it just me, or does it come off disingenuous when you say something like this?

That isn't to say I don't think you can't offer condolences to someone you don't care for. I just don't get the premise of including both sentiments in the very same sentence.

Its a really silly thing to say. As they have to make sure people don't take the person as somehow contradicting himself for wishing someone good health.

To me, its kind of self-congratulatory

"I don't like this person, but IM a good person, so im still going to wish them well on their life threatening illness"

To me, its kind of self-congratulatory

"I don't like this person, but IM a good person, so im still going to wish them well on their life threatening illness"

That was the perfect was of expressing why it annoys me. It's almost as though you're able to look at someone's misfortune with a sense of superiority. Like, I got to watch this really inoppurtune situation, and get to be the big person by pointing out

A. I never liked the person.
B. I can be the big person and offer condolences.

It's pretty shitty but as you said, people usually don't have ill will behind it when they do this, they're just being thoughtless. I know I've slipped up and done this in the past myself. You're always going to get this happening.

Somebody can still be a dick, but suffer a sympathy-inducing misfortune.

Haiku, does it annoy you when people feel like this or when they say it out loud?

Tact takes a back seat when it comes to being the guy who gets to start the thread.

That being said, Hart is a whiny cunt but I don't want him to suffer.

Барбоса;5403541 said:
An argument could be made that everyone here saying "get well soon Hitman" is being somewhat self-congratulatory.

It's maybe not the same thing but it annoys me when people write messages directed at dead people in threads. I know it's probably a coping mechanism or something but it just comes off as dense and irritating, though not quite as bad as people I saw on Facebook using Bowie's death to promote some bullshit acting job they were doing or sell some custom bric-a-brac type shite.

This is Bring The Pain we're talking about here. He's probably sitting there thinking that basic human compassion is a nuanced opinion.

It's maybe not the same thing but it annoys me when people write messages directed at dead people in threads. I know it's probably a coping mechanism or something but it just comes off as dense and irritating, though not quite as bad as people I saw on Facebook using Bowie's death to promote some bullshit acting job they were doing or sell some custom bric-a-brac type shite.

I already apologized for using Coco's death to try and sell you those "used" mattresses.

Next time I die, you should all go see Milenko's one-man version of Godot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back