I like Super Heavyweights too

Milkyway!

Hodor!
1zlf6ms.jpg

So heres my tribute to one of the best superheavy weights of them all. Andre "The Giant." Andre is deffinetely of the largest men to ever join the WWF I believe hes the 3rd tallest man to ever join.

Height 7 feet, 5 inches
Weight 520 pounds
Chest 71 inches
Thighs 36 inches
Hand 16 inches
Forearms 17 inches
Calves 22 inches
Wrist 11 inches
Biceps 21 inches
Neck 24 inches
Shoesize 24

Andre's career was cut short in Jan 30, 1993 at a very young, 46 years old. Andre wowed wrestling fans all across the world. His known was huge in Japan, America, and Canada, Europe, and Australlia. Thats honestly something I can never recall being done. Andre wasn't a huge draw in his own little territory, but Andre was a huge draw all around the world, he wasn't just a household name such as Lawler, only known in memphis Andre was a household name EVERYWHERE. Andre had a documented 1,956 matches.

Andre's list of achievements are few, but proud. With only 7 title reigns, this is probably Andre's only fault.

IWE tag team 1970
Austra-Asian tag team 1978
United States tag team 1978
NWA Florida tag team 1981
WWF World title 1988
WWF World tag team 1989-90
First ever inducty into the WWE hall of fame

Andre's notable career points include and fun matches:

Wrestlemania 3: Probably not so much Andre as it was Hogan, but it takes two to tango. Andre carried the match for the most part, with Hogan trying to get a scoop slam here and there yet failing. Andre dominated for most of the match making even me believe he was going to win, Hulk then scoop slamed Andre and gave him the legdrop to his death. This moment in history, still lives forever in any true wrestling fan.

[youtube]abJckojgwRs[/youtube]

I know this isn't the whole match, but it gives a decent recap on the match. Hogan and Andre will live on through the wrestling history books forever for this moment alone, infront of some 93,000 fans a record that still stands today.

Another notable match in, Mega Powers vs the Mega Bucks, The Mega Bucks were truely the only compitition during the year reign of the Mega Power in my perspective. I never felt they were in any harm, until The Mega Bucks came back. This match at SummerSlam is my personal favorite ever match from Ted Dibiase, and a great match from Andre, Hogan, and Savage too.

[youtube]Y43F_KhAwhY[/youtube]

[youtube]K4SlpXoEn94[/youtube]

I hate bundy, but heres another match I really enjoyed from Andre. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, and I got a nice laugh out of all the Bundy Blubber.

[youtube]pR-StzGzq5g[/youtube]

And by Harthans request, Andre the Giant vs Ken Patera

[youtube]BnjmUHWfwbM[/youtube]

In 1988 Andre captured his first ever World Heavyweight title. During the time, this was the shortest title reign to date. I personally believe Andre deserved a much longer title reign, but you have to consider he was during the Hogan era, there wasn't much room for him in the title picture.

(On a side note, why is only the 8th wonder of the world? Theres the 7 natural wonders of the world, 7 wonders of the ancient world, and 7 wonders of the modern world, wouldn't that make him the 22nd wonder of the world?)

EDIT: I'll be adding matches later, a friend of mine is leaving today, and I won't get to see him for about 2 months. As well as I need to go to the hospital, my grandfather is dieing. More matches will be coming in shortly.

sorry to here about your grandfather dieing man, must be a big loss....
i see that you have alot about andre and a little about bundy, another great superheavyweight is kevin nash... he has basically accomplished everything he won the wcw 1998 world war 3 battle royal, won many championships and what not.... i just wanted to add another future super heavyweight legend to yr post....

Milk, your tribute to Andre is surely going to get a following. However, I can't side with you on liking him. I grew up watching him toward the end, at least in videos. I won't ever take anything away from Andre, but I just never saw a massive appeal to him beyond his size.

I firmly believe its because by the time I began watching him, it was becoming increasingly harder for him to even move and walk, so it was a lot of pressure and strain for him to perform. For that, I give the man a world of credit and respect, but I still don't see him as being anything beyond a size-able opponent.

No disrespect intended, but you have Super-Heavyweights like Vader, Bam Bam Bigelow, the Big Show and even the Great Khali who're doing their part in proving why they each belong above Andre. The Industry was different back then, and what Andre did was amazing regardless. But I give each "Giant" my individual respect, for selective things they've done.

Hell, I thought Khali was the world's largest waste of space - still partly could say I believe it somedays. But watching his matches against the Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and his Punjabi Prison match against Batista has made me see more clearly that for a man of his size - he can still perform better than quite a few cruiserweights who should be running and wrestling circles around him.

Andre was slow when I always watched him. He had strength and if he ever caught you, you'd know it, but beyond that.. I never saw anything great about him.

Ahh William. :dissapointed: How could you hate one of the 4 best super heavyweights that has graced us in the wrestling world? Andre was funny, he could put on a great show, and he played a great heel character especially vs Hogan.

No disrespect intended, but you have Super-Heavyweights like Vader, Bam Bam Bigelow, the Big Show and even the Great Khali who're doing their part in proving why they each belong above Andre. The Industry was different back then, and what Andre did was amazing regardless.

Super-Heavyweights like Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow were completely once and a life time type men. With agility, and stregnth, along with their size they could do manyathings that even some of the Cruiserweights could do. Don't get me wrong, these 2 Super-Heavyweights were the two best ever, but The Big Show, Bundy, Giant Gonzaloz, Yokozuna, and Khali have nothing on Andre.

For one thing, The Big Show is just fat, and unentertaining. Bundy was just jello. Giant Gonzaloz, was just 8foot tall, he could barely move. Yokozuna was just billed as an average Sumo wrestler, joining the wrestling world. Which that isn't a problem to me, but he didn't do anything near what Andre did for the business.

Andre did something more for the business that no many can ever do again. He made being a 7'4" giant, fun. He was the original super-heavyweight. His wrestling was fun to see such a large man, that most people had never seen before go at such an intense level of compition, and still be able to keep up, and go with the best of them I.E Hogan.

It is too bad that Andre the Giant will be known for being the biggest drunk in the history of drunks. Reportedly drank 14 bottles of wine before the Hogan-Andre match at WM III. When I see that, this is what I think of. That and I also timed the match and it is only 9 minutes long. Sort of disappointing in cases of some other memorable matches despite being one of the greatest matches of WM history. Also, reportedly fell asleep during a match with Big John Studd.

He has done a lot of going things for wrestling, but cutting out the wrestling, that's what he will be known for. It is too bad though.

The other thing Andre will be forever known for is THE PRINCESS BRIDE. Come on, anyone else still love that movie? I do and my two toddlers love it too.

It is too bad that Andre the Giant will be known for being the biggest drunk in the history of drunks.

If you don't think more often than not every superstar in the locker room drinks daily, then you're delusional. Andre drank yes, did he drink a lot? Yes. But you're not taking into account Andre's body mass, and actually size. The man was 7'4" and weighted in at 530 pounds. As well as he was a longtime drinker, the longer you drink, the more resistance your body gets twards it. Andre also drank wine, thats like, drinking fuzzie navels until you get drunk. It obviously took more wine than if he was drinking straight vodka.

It would seriously be life if I started drinking today, knowing I have only ever drank once before, and at 5'10" weighting in at 150 pounds, it would only take about 2-3 beers to get me drunk. If I continued this pattern for a few years, then obviously it would gradually take more and more beer for me to consume, before I got drunk. Andre was always a drinker, along with his size, I'd say hes just your average drunk. But according to men like Richard English, he was the biggest drunk on the face of this planet.

Reportedly drank 14 bottles of wine before the Hogan-Andre match at WM III.

Actually, its reported that he drank 16 bottles of wine.

When I see that, this is what I think of. That and I also timed the match and it is only 9 minutes long.

The wrestling time of the match was a little under 20 minutes. Which Andre vs Hogan at WM 3 did you time?

Sort of disappointing in cases of some other memorable matches despite being one of the greatest matches of WM history.

It was considered one of the most memorable not because of the matches. The matches on the card actually weren't that great. There were only 2 good matches. The 3 biggest things about Wrestlemania 3 that makes it the legend it is, is simple.

1. It still holds an attendance record at 93, 173. While this number is a little argueable, thats what the WWE billed it as, and were gonna take their word for it.

2. Hogan slammed the unslamable in Andre. Simple as that.

3. It was the first ever event that drew multimillions of dollars. It drew a revenue gain of 10 million dollars.

He has done a lot of going things for wrestling, but cutting out the wrestling, that's what he will be known for. It is too bad though.

Andre could wrestle during the early stages of his career. He was large, which made him a little wobbley. But a lot of people only remember him for his later work in the late 80's. Andre had a disease known as Giantism by many.

Giantism is a result in an imbalance of growth hormones. Known as GH.

According to Web MD: said:
(GH) test measures the amount of human growth hormone (GH) in the blood. GH is made by the pituitary gland and is needed for growth. It plays an important role in how the body uses food for energy (metabolism). The amount of GH in the blood changes during the day and is affected by exercise, sleep, emotional stress, and diet.

Too much GH during childhood can cause a child to grow larger than normal (gigantism). Too little GH during childhood can cause a child to grow less than normal (dwarfism). Both conditions can be treated if found early.

Obviously this would cause Andre's adulthood to become stressful. This also resulted in Andre early death. Andre had intense pain in his knees, this is one of the reasons he drank. He drank his pain away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back