• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hunter Hearst Helmesly

Wald

Mid-Card Championship Winner
This thread is to discuss the Hunter Hearts Helmesly character from when he joined the WWF right up until he aligned with HBK and ultimately became Triple H of Degeneration X.

I read an interview with Justin Credible the other day where he talked about how the Blueblood gimmick just wasn’t getting Triple H over, how they kept throwing storylines at him but the fans weren’t biting up until he joined Shawn. It’s not the first time I’ve heard someone from the WWF at the time say it, I’m pretty sure I’ve even heard Triple H say it, but for me it’s a strange one and I don’t fully agree with it.

[YOUTUBE]pWchYpu670E[/YOUTUBE]​

When Hunter debuted I would have been about 14 so was right in my prime of being a WWF fan. Even though he had the Royalty gimmick it at least stood out a bit in a sea of Trashmen, Hockey player, Hog farmers (though I liked the Godwinns) as being someway different. I also thought he showed a good in-ring presence in his first few matches too, granted all that got him was being fed to the Warrior at Wrestlemania, but he at least showed some ability in the ring and on the mic.

Then came his first ‘proper’ feud, with the Wildman Marc Mero over the girl that became Sable. For those who weren’t watching at the time it was a simple story of Hunter treating his valet, Sable, like complete garbage until Mero came to her rescue and started the feud. This would become about the Intercontinental Title, still prestigious in those days, where a nice twist to the feud would occur when Mr.Perfect, who had been championing Mero as the guy to take his spot as one of the IC Champion greats, turned on Mero during a title match with Hunter on Raw and allowed him to win the belt. It stood out to me at the time because we were still pretty much in the days of the face always winning the feud in the WWF. Here Hunter won it and the title.

During his reign he would add Chyna as his bodyguard, wasn’t uncommon to have one at the time (Diesel, Psycho Sid and Mr.Hughes had all worked in this capacity with HBK or HHH) but it obviously was different to what came before. Again Hunter stood out a bit and his feud with Goldust was also pretty decent.

[YOUTUBE]VX4vmFXPG8k[/YOUTUBE]​

Then came the feud that made him as an upper mid-level talent (ironically enough the same guy would make him as a top draw talent a few years later) when he took on Mankind in a series of matches, peaking with the steel cage match. This was in 1997, which to my mind is the WWF’s greatest ever year for storylines & matches, and Hunter vs Mankind was a nice ingredient in that year’s mix, setting the character up well enough to be considered equal to someone like Owen Hart when the DX vs Hart Foundation feud kicked off following Summerslam 1997.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd2ut9_hhh-vs-mankind_sport#.UbmXiuecfzk

The rest is history.

So what were/are your thoughts on the Hunter Hearst Helmesly character? I really do view it as being necessary to what was to come in his career. Credible says he never thought at the time that Triple H would get to the level he did get to, and I’d agree with that for his initial character, but the two years of seasoning helped establish him as a mid-card talent with potential and also refined aspects of his heel character, not least with the addition of Chyna.

The Hunter Hearst Helmsley gimmick was brilliantly done, especially the prissyass sounding music that completely fit the snobbish, Greenwich blueblood asshole which he played very well...He had some interesting feuds amongst wrestlers such as Goldust, his Wrestlemania 12 squash match against The Ultimate Warrior, Henry Godwinn, Marc Mero and Rocky Maivia..His promos were better, he actually did more technical wrestling back then and he'd deliver the Pedigree with more force than he's been doing for the past several years..Once in awhile he'd even hit a Piledriver..

When Chyna debuted as " a fan" back at the February 1997 PPV In Your House 13:Final Four, Helmsley's character got more interesting due to Chyna being the wildcard..Chyna'd ragdoll Marlena, Helmsley'd try to abduct her, or Chyna would hit a low blow on Helmsley's opponent mid-way through the match causing Helmsley to gain momentum, so she was definitely a pivotal factor while they were together in the late 90s..

I found it interesting how in 1996 Helmsley and Mr.Perfect could've had a feud since Perfect was playing a "mentor" type role with Helmsley in late 1996..If Hennig never left for WCW then maybe we could've seen Mr.Perfect vs Hunter Hearst Helmsley for the Intercontinental Championship at Wrestlemania 13 with Rick Rude in Perfect's corner and Chyna in Helmsley's corner..

When he won the King Of The Ring tournament in 1997, it helped elevate his character that much more due to him being a blueblood already, so him winning and becoming King Of The Ring seemed like a natural fit to ensure that he'd have consistent momentum behind him.

For those of you who've never seen this match..Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs Henry Godwinn in an Arkansas Hogpen Match from 1995

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEcUWLxjoZ8

This other link is to a picture collage of Helmsley, Curtis Axel, Mr.Perfect and Paul Heyman that I found very interesting

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...65942.214180768601532&type=1&relevant_count=1

I never had a problem with the Hunter Hearst Helmsley character, and I agree that it was a necessary background that still underpins his character to this day. He's still Hunter. He's Triple H for a reason. His character has progressed and changed, much the same way that the Undertaker progressed and changed. I will say that he needed an extra boost that he wasn't getting, and that was obviously Shawn Michaels. I think Michaels gave him the rub he needed so that when Michaels left, Hunter was accepted by fans as the guy to head up Degeneration X.

I remember thinking he'd have to lose that gimmick in order to have longevity. I know those cartoonish characters were in at the time, but most of the guys who had them lasted only a few years with the company.

I remember back in WCW days a man a Ric Flair clone called Terra Rizing1994 I think that was. He soon joined up with a man named Lord Steven Regal aka William Regal and he became Hunter Herst Helmsley parter with Lord Steven Regal the Tag Team of The Blue Bloods around 1995. This was prior to him going to the E in 1995.

This is why Regal will always have a job at the E and why as soon as his contract ended in 98? he came to the E. Paul joked that Darren (Regal) is the man who came up with the Character with him and helped him develop it in the begining.

I remember back in WCW days a man a Ric Flair clone called Terra Rizing1994 I think that was. He soon joined up with a man named Lord Steven Regal aka William Regal and he became Hunter Herst Helmsley parter with Lord Steven Regal the Tag Team of The Blue Bloods around 1995. This was prior to him going to the E in 1995.

This is why Regal will always have a job at the E and why as soon as his contract ended in 98? he came to the E. Paul joked that Darren (Regal) is the man who came up with the Character with him and helped him develop it in the begining.

Correction, his name with Regal was Jean-Paul Levesque and he was playing a French snob. Same character though, just different background information.

28i3fcm.jpg

The HHH character is the same Blue Blood character that has worked for many a midcarder. It's not a main event gimmick however.

Chyna has always been an underrated piece the the HHH puzzle. When she debuted it set him apart from everyone else. She was really the first of her kind, and she helped HHH immensely I think. When HHH debuted I was about 14 or 15 so I was really infatuated with wrestling, and I liked the Hunter Hearst Hemsley character. I didn't look at him as a guy that was going to be where he is now, but he was a great addition to the IC title scene. I was really hoping he and Mr. perfect were going to have a feud, but that was not meant to be. I was a person that wanted him to beat The Ultimate Warrior at mania 12 even though I knew that was never going to happen. He did need a tweek to move to the next level, and when he was paired with Shawn I was rather confused as it just kind of happened over night. That was the star of Hunter Hearst Hemsley's success and he never looked back.

You just made me miss the late 90s WWF so bad and hate today's WWE so much!!!!!

The Hunter character worked. Don't forget that many of the ultimate superstars always started with one gimmick and then transitioned to a different one that made them top tier talent.

Actually, when I think about it, has any superstar ever emerged as a heel and stayed as a heel their entire career? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. All the top stars were either huge babyfaces or were heels then turned face at some point in their career.

Stone Cold, The Rock, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, Ric Flair, the list can go on and on.

But I can't think of one single person that debuted as a heel and stayed as a heel and got over to the point they were top tier talent without a repackage.

Obviously, Hunter had to hit the roids too. He's like over half the size that he is now.

Stone Cold, The Rock, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, Ric Flair, the list can go on and on.

But I can't think of one single person that debuted as a heel and stayed as a heel and got over to the point they were top tier talent without a repackage.

I could be wrong but I think Killer Kowalski was a heel his whole career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back