• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hulk Hogan In The AWA

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
In case you've never seen this, here's Hogan's ring entrance at Super Sunday 1983, which would have been a PPV had that existed yet.

Start at about 34:30. That's the guy that Gagne wouldn't put the belt on for whatever ridiculous reasons he gave over the years. Hogan was WWF Champion in nine months. This is about a year after Rocky III came out.

They went CRAZY for Hogan. I've heard that Verne thought Hogan always chasing the belt would draw more money than if he were actually champion. Which I don't buy because who the hell doesn't want the most popular wrestler on their roster holding the championship? Also if I remember right from the AWA dvd that was put out awhile back Hogan said that he and Verne were fighting about money that Verne wanted from Hogan's Japan sales of merch or something like that. To me that could be another reason why he was never AWA champion. I could be wrong tho I don't know the specific time frame when all of that was happening.

Must have been the wellness policy.

Gelgarin, if that is your real name, I rehosted your signature for you:

5fbOyHo.png

See? I'm not all bad.

I wouldn't be much of an authority on this issue but the norm back then, was that the NWA, AWA had wrestling champions. Guys who had amateur experience or were really technical went it came to the mat.

I have heard how Verne always preferred shooter as champions, namely himself, but among others as well. Vince Sr. also followed this trend to a certain spirit. When Superstar was getting hot and cheers, he put the belt on wrestling boy Bob Backlund.

Sammartino, however was just another kinda cat. How Italian speaking populus of the Nort-East embraced him was just organic and still comes off amazing on re-runs. At the same time, if you go by Larry Zybysko's book, Bruno and Vince Sr. had issues as well.

Can someone briefly explain the Terry Funk becoming NWA champion fiasco? I heard his pappy pulled a lotta strings to make that happen, and it wasn't a very popular decidion

Also if I remember right from the AWA dvd that was put out awhile back Hogan said that he and Verne were fighting about money that Verne wanted from Hogan's Japan sales of merch or something like that. To me that could be another reason why he was never AWA champion. I could be wrong tho I don't know the specific time frame when all of that was happening.

Bingo. From watching the AWA-dv I get the impression that it was about merch Money and just general lack of trust between Gagne and Hogan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back