• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How should WWE book Antonio Cesaro going forward?

DJS92491

Occasional Pre-Show
The "Very European" Superstar has been off and on with SmackDown appearances lately, and it seems as if WWE has been having a hard time finding room on the card for him.

This is typical for a Superstar who is introduced to the WWE Universe as a heel; since fans seems to catch on to liking a debuting face more than disliking a debuting heel. With a debuting face, fans already know that they're supposed to like him, and so they'll support him in his match even if they have no idea who he is. While with a debuting heel, fans have the tendency of not really caring about them being in a match if it isn't against an already established talent.

So far, WWE decided to book Antonio into squash matches against enhancement talent. They also added him into a storyline with Aksana and Teddy Long; who are two characters that the WWE Universe seem to share a collective "Meh" about.

With this being the case, it's easy to see why fans aren't invested into Antonio's character yet. Rugby is a very unfamiliar sport to both the fans and Antonio (who actually hasn't played Rugby professionally as advertised) so it's odd that WWE decided to give him that gimmick. He is actually a former member of the Swiss Army and, in my opinion. that's much more easier to work with creatively than a Rugby player gimmick.

It also doesn't help that his entrance theme is generic and bland.

Antonio has the talent to make every match of his entertaining, so all he needs now is the right gimmick and rivalry to successfully put him over.

------------------------------------------------------

The question I have for you all today is: How should WWE book Antonio Cesaro going forward?

1. Gimmick

I believe that to become a successful, heat drawing heel, WWE should push him as a comedic heel. A Superstar that the WWE Universe will love to hate. He already has brought his "Very European" catch phrase to WWE, and so I feel as if WWE should shove it down the fans' throats.

He believes that everything about Europe is better than America. Have vignettes where he talks down American football, and claims that Rugby is a superior sport. He believes that Europe is a stronger and more beautiful continent than North America, and he has Aksana to prove it. He over-exaggerates the power of the Swiss Army, while even going as far as saying that past wars were largely influenced by the help of their superior economy and military.

A gimmick as simple as this will make it simple for the WWE Universe to catch on that they're not only supposed to hate him, but also laugh at him when he fails. This will make an easier transition for Antonio to become a face, which he is much better at being, and will establish him as a viable Superstar on the WWE Roster.

...or you could just throw that all away, and just wait till Del Rey and Ohno arrive to create WWE's version of the Kings (and Queen) of Wrestling. :)

2. Feud

As an Antonio Cesaro fan, I see nothing wrong with inserting him into the Intercontinental Title hunt immediately. Cesaro and Christian would provide great matches, and Christian could even drop the title to Antonio if the fans like to hate (or enough smarks cheer) Antonio enough.

It would also be a brilliant idea to just put Antonio Cesaro into at least one match with Sheamus on Raw. You could start them off on Smackdown where it's advertised as just another match featuring the champ, but Antonio really gives Sheamus a run for his money. The match impresses enough to have Sheamus go over against Antonio on Raw, and reassures to the fans that Antonio is a talent to look out for in the future. I bet that he'd trend on Twitter as well.

Kane or Daniel Bryan would be great as well. Daniel Bryan and Antonio would obviously be good since they have history together and they know each others movesets well, due to working with each other all around the world on the Indy circuit. It would also be entertaining to watch AJ terrorize Aksana.

Kane and Antonio would be used to get Antonio over, and keep the spectacle that Kane still is on the card. Kane might defeat Antonio at first, but Antonio would win out in the end since Kane is more than likely going to be on his way out of his wrestling career anyways by the time WWE begins to push Antonio. A victory over Kane puts him right into a Intercontinental, or even a World Heavyweight title hunt.

Dark horse rivalries would be with Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, and Rey Mysterio. For those to happen, of course the above three would have to hand pick Antonio to face themselves. All three would do a remarkable job at getting him over.

As long as Antonio isn't fed to Ryback, it looks as if WWE's really taking him seriously as a successful talent that will be around for the long haul.

-----------------------------------

So, what do you think guys? How would YOU push Antonio Cesaro?

1. What gimmick would you give Antonio Cesaro?

2. Who should Antonio Cesaro feud with?

I'm looking forward to reading your perspective.

There's nothing wrong with Cesaro, creative just screwed up a bit. I feel like his character could easily get some heat if they gave him some exposure.

His gimmick: His current Euro gimmick could work, if they made it more funny. It would give the crowd a reason to look forward to him. I could easily see him as the lighthearted, comedic jock heel. I would prefere him to go full supremacist though, Like an extreme Eurocentric, but I doubt WWE would even entertain the thought considering Linda's senate run and the PG rating (and also the Kerwin White thing). If not that, he should be like a European Muhammad Hassan in that he isn't a total racist, but his preachy anti-American sentiments would attract massive heat.

His first feud, if he goes forward with the comedy version of his gimmick, should be Santino. He could take the US title off of him and use it to build himself up from scratch. Plus, it would be comedic gold considering Santino's prowess. If he does go the supremacist/Euro-Hassan route I suggested, I would first feud him in some smaller time feuds: First with Hunico (could rally against Hunico's ghetto Mexican character), Primo y Epico (just because his ethnocentric character would have to be a bit racist), then maybe Swagger (who could turn face and take offense to his disgracing of America, prompting action from the all american american), and if these work out well, then I'd put him with Sheamus, who he could say has become "Americanized" and lost his European ancestry).

Ya i wouldnt make him funny i think it would be cool to see him as a hitman or something. If he cant be put back in his tag team with chris hero than something with a hitman ring to it would be cool. Which eventually would lead to a title shot of some sort and him going over. If he is going to stay with the european gimmick i think he should feud with santino for the US title..

The first thing that struck me was the music, which is an instrumental of The Fratelli's "Chelsea Dagger". The song really doesn't fit a heel, it's a face anthemic, singalong type song that had he started as face would have got him over. The gimmick itself isn't terrible, it just doesn't fit a heel...

I think to be honest they might be gearing up for Kings Of Wrestling and the "failiure" of creative could come into the story. I would love to see JBL as their manager, using his cash to bring in the best team in the world... put them ahead of PTP and have them fire AW so they go face.

The Swiss Militia angle is a good way to approach it. He's an intimidating and powerful guy, it makes writing him as a heel easy, though of course they should NOT go the squash match route. That's been driven into the ground in the last six months of WWE.

Really though he just needs to appear more. As it is he barely appears on SD, and it's a total waste of a very talented and marketable guy.

I agree with the idea that he should be a European supremacist. The rugby gimmick actually does factor into that, as he could go on about how rugby is superior to American football.

I think he could feud with Alex Riley. While Cesaro is a suave, sophisticated European former rugby player, Riley is an everyman jock, American, former football player. Have him go on about how football is a "bastardization" of rugby, and have him target Alex Riley for no apparent reason.

The guy can actually wrestle. Give him some 10 minute matches on Smackdown every week against good opponents, and let his ring work speak for itself. Better yet why can't he and another new guy someone like Kassius Ohno or Seth Rollins just have drop down drag out fights every week that get the crowd going. Have them fight every week for three matches which each guy getting a victory. Whoever the crowd cheers for the most throughout the first two matches gets the third win. Let young guys battle it out instead of these squash match scenarios.

Giev both guys some videoes to introduce them like they do on NXT, but then let them battle it out in very close back and forth wars. That's hat I'd like to see.

Ther crowd isn't all that familiar with him yet. Before anything he needs to show some personality because thats what gets you noticed. If he gets over as a character then puts on some competitive matches with Christian or Ryder or Orton or Cara or whoever comes his way then we'll have a star. You can't rush things though, if he gets shoved down our throats it will backfire. I think as far as a gimmick goes less is more, he's got a hot girl, he's happy and foreign, just give him wins and the audience will hate him. Its too early too create a gimmick for him we haven't seen much of his personality as of yet so wether he'll be a killer or a goof.

I think to be honest they might be gearing up for Kings Of Wrestling and the "failiure" of creative could come into the story. I would love to see JBL as their manager, using his cash to bring in the best team in the world... put them ahead of PTP and have them fire AW so they go face.

I totally agree! I feel putting the KOW back together would, by far, be the best thing for Cesaro and for the WWE. And what better time than now? With the tag team division being rebuilt, a strong team like this could only do good.

He is just new and it will take some time for him before he gets any solid exposure and solid feuds. But I don't see anything big for him any time soon or maybe never. WWE is already investing time on Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes and Alberto Del Rio.

The Miz, Wade Barrett and Randy Orton are also scheduled to be pushed heavily again once they return.

Top of that we got guys like Ryback, Justin Sandow, Tensai and Brodus Clay all being pushed by WWE.

I don't see any thing for Sandow at the moment, but a feud with Christian will really help his career at the moment, Christian has nothing left to achieve anymore and can really help Cesaro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back