How long before we have cars that drive themselves?

JenksIX

Pre-Show Stalwart
Car Crash Stats: There were nearly 6,420,000 auto accidents in the United States in 2005.

The financial cost of these crashes is more than 230 Billion dollars. 2.9 million people were injured and 42,636 people killed.

About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States -- one death every 13 minutes.

Well with recent passing of Ryan Dunn (R.I.P.), among other things, I've been thinking when will we have cars that drive themselves and how might that work?"

I think some cars already have the early stages of the technology that will be needed for a car to drive itself and the actual technology might already exist, but it is far from being mass produced.

Is it even possible for a car to drive all on it's own on the highways and by- ways of today? The car maybe programmed to take you from one place to the next, but how will it react to other drivers on the road?

I think for there ever to be a car with artificial intelligence that drives all on it's own, every car must be connected to the same network and people could no longer drive themselves, unless they are in a non A.I. automobile zone (so you would either have an AI car or you wouldn't since your car would have to be programmed/based from your house.)

Would you give up your freedom to drive if this were a safer way to travel and you didn't have to worry about drunk driver's, people falling asleep, *insert joke here, and just all around incompetent drivers?

I know some of you are car enthusiasts so I'd like to get your thoughts on the matter. How long do you think it will take before we see car's driving themself (if ever) and how do you feel about it?

Not being in control of your motor vehicle is a scary thought so for something like this to ever be implemented it'd have to be safe beyond a reasonable doubt. I think it'd be a long time, if ever for that to happen, because aside from other cars you have to worry about pedestrians and other variables.

It's hard to give an estimation, I would probably take a stab at 15 years minimum as there are still a lot of flaws with current in-car technology, we've still got Sat Nav's/GPS that are trying to send drivers the wrong on motorways or off a cliff etc, I mean just yesterday my sat nav told me to take a 2'nd exit off a round-a-bout and then drive 2.5 miles to then take a U-turn it was crazy. Also there is the auto-braking which some modern cars are now introducing but god how many videos there are on YouTube of those things failing and the car crashing into the back of something so there alot of technologies that need to introduced and ironed out

And I'm trying to decide weather or not if I was offered a car that could drive itself right now weather or not I would take it or not, because the one thing I love and the one thing that I look for any excuse to do it is driving and my biggest pet hate is being a passenger, journey's take a lot longer and the feeling of not being in control just grinds my gears but then again if I was let's say driving upto Scotland which is a 6 hour drive then it would be nice to know that I could jump into the back seat and have a nap or have some lunch without having to stop and add more time on to my journey

I saw on this documentry called "Knight Rider" that we already do have.

kitt2_m_m.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back