• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How does someone draw in today's WWE?

CyberPunk

The Show himself
I here a lot of people talking about current wrestlers not drawing much. Apart from stars like Lesnar and Cena, and legends like Taker, there aren't many who could generate interest in a show all by themselves. There are many on the roster who are pretty popular with wrestling fans like Cesaro, Ambrose, Ziggler, Owens etc, but none of them can be called draws. If we look at the last 5 years, apart from Punk and Bryan at certain points, no one generated enough interest to build a show around, and even then many people don't consider Punk or Bryan being ratings or PPV draws in traditional sense. Someone not being a draw is something WWE have used as a reason to either not push or derail an ongoing push.

My question is can a modern wrestler become a draw in traditional way? I mean back in the day, you simply put Hogan's name on the card and the show would sell. In modern times, apart from a Lesnar or a Cena, whoever the card features wouldn't really have any impact on PPV buys or TV ratings. Is it on WWE that new stars can't draw much? Or the definition of a 'draw' has changed?

The WWE brand name is what "draws" in the traditional sense. So in a way, yes. It is WWE's fault that none of their individual stars can draw like a Hogan, or a Sammartino, or even a Backlund. But at the same time it's not really WWE's fault, as their brand name gaining more and more recognition and becoming more synonymous with pro wrestling and "sports entertainment" to the general public was a natural side effect of their growth over the years. Even someone like Cena, while he does draw, I wouldn't argue that he's a big one, as it isn't plausible to pin the successes [or failures] of RAW squarely on him when there is an entire card behind him. Lesnar I'd argue isn't consistent enough to be a really be a substantial draw. Not in the traditional sense. Today I'd argue that pro wrestlers have more to offer the promotions that they work for through their marketability rather than their drawing power.

I here a lot of people talking about current wrestlers not drawing much. Apart from stars like Lesnar and Cena, and legends like Taker, there aren't many who could generate interest in a show all by themselves. There are many on the roster who are pretty popular with wrestling fans like Cesaro, Ambrose, Ziggler, Owens etc, but none of them can be called draws. If we look at the last 5 years, apart from Punk and Bryan at certain points, no one generated enough interest to build a show around, and even then many people don't consider Punk or Bryan being ratings or PPV draws in traditional sense. Someone not being a draw is something WWE have used as a reason to either not push or derail an ongoing push.

My question is can a modern wrestler become a draw in traditional way? I mean back in the day, you simply put Hogan's name on the card and the show would sell. In modern times, apart from a Lesnar or a Cena, whoever the card features wouldn't really have any impact on PPV buys or TV ratings. Is it on WWE that new stars can't draw much? Or the definition of a 'draw' has changed?

You know that's a good question and one I wondered about in the past myself. I think in their own way every wrestler is a draw of sorts. They all have their fanbase, some of course are bigger than others. And that's the main problem lately. The WWE is trying to have it both ways and can't. They want wrestlers to headline and bring in the crowds, but only a certain few get the push, so we as fans either go along with what they want or ignore the product.

I would like to think that fans are smarter than the WWE gives them credit for. Example, when I go to a house show, quite often I'm not going to see the headliner, just the card as a whole. At the last show here in Toronto, Cena headlined and my son and I were walking out the door before the match ended. Wanted to get ahead of the crowd so to speak.

Also they always put up a preliminary card that is always subject to change, so we really don't know until a week or too before a show who is going to be there for sure. The tickets though are sold months in advance and if you want good seats you have to buy them early. So it's buyer beware in some cases.

Wrestling fans are a niche group and will unfortunately in most cases go along with what the WWE serves up, even if we don't like it at times. But we still watch every week, still buy the merchandise and go to the shows.

The WWE brand name is what "draws" in the traditional sense. So in a way, yes. It is WWE's fault that none of their individual stars can draw like a Hogan, or a Sammartino, or even a Backlund. But at the same time it's not really WWE's fault, as their brand name gaining more and more recognition and becoming more synonymous with pro wrestling and "sports entertainment" to the general public was a natural side effect of their growth over the years. Even someone like Cena, while he does draw, I wouldn't argue that he's a big one, as it isn't plausible to pin the successes [or failures] of RAW squarely on him when there is an entire card behind him. Lesnar I'd argue isn't consistent enough to be a really be a substantial draw. Not in the traditional sense. Today I'd argue that pro wrestlers have more to offer the promotions that they work for through their marketability rather than their drawing power.

I agree that WWE as a brand draws. And I also believe that over the years the marketability of a wrestler has taken precedence over his/her drawing ability. But if that's the case, isn't it odd that a company which produces almost 6-7 hours of weekly TV would market only handful of stars? When ratings are down, it seems WWE looks for scapegoats, someone to blame rather than revamp the product as a whole?

Personally, I've always believed that a story draws more than the individuals involved. Is it that WWE, over time, has been unable to tell stories that'll make the individuals look good? I believe that's the case today.

Selling merchandise and selling tickets.. If the fans will pay to see you then you're a draw. Putting asses in seats is what's most important.

The WWE brand is the top star. That's not to say that individuals aren't important, but the WWE brand name is what sells an event moreso than any wrestler or any match. That being said, individuals can definitely still have a powerful impact on the success of the company. Yes, they require the platform provided by the WWE and they benefit from the WWE marketing machine, but some people have an inate quality that allows them to generate interest and capture the imagination of fans.

So the question is, on an individual level, what makes a star? What draws money? And the answer today is the same as it's always been: legitimacy. Wrestling is a fake business. In a fake business, realness is what sells. The fans need to believe it, that's what it comes down to. This is especially important today because the business is so exposed. Not only is wrestling fake, but everyone knows wrestling is fake. In that context, having something come across as real or legitimate is that much more challenging.

The best example of this is of course Brock Lesnar. Lesnar is the undisputed top guy in wrestling today. He is an attraction that draws big money, which makes him an asset to the company. The reason he is such a huge star is that he is legitimate. Everyone knows his credentials. NCAA Champion, UFC Champion. There's nothing fake about Brock Lesnar and he's presented in that way. He's a legitimate fighter and a legitimate badass. The fans believe it.

CM Punk had this same quality. When he spoke, you bought into it completely, because he was talking about something you knew was real. The hottest angle in the last five years was CM Punk's feud with John Cena, and it was based in reality. Punk was the perfect example of what a top guy has to be in the modern era. When you are active on social media interacting with fans every day, you can't be playing a fictional character, you have to be real. Gimmicks are out, legitimacy is in.

I agree and disagree with a lot of points. I think that WWE has been in a constant changing state and is trying to find "THE NEXT Generation" of Stars. I see many being sick of Cena and Orton at the top. I'm an Orton fan and would like to see him stay at the top, but I understand others who see same old Orton. There's no denying ORTON is over, but the stories he has been put into particularly with Sheamus have left fans with a sour taste in their mouths. Cena has actually had his BEST year in quite some time. Not only has he been ENTERTAINING, but he's really boosted the credibility of the US title. While he's still A STAR he's moved down the card, yet not without losing who he is. Rollins just continues to roll and build upon an AWESOME 2014 w/maybe an even BETTER 2015. If he doesn't win the SLAMMY for Superstar of the year something is wrong. Reigns has worked very hard at improving in all aspects and I think they're ready to pull the trigger on him come WM season. Bray Wyatt is finally being booked properly and I see big things on the horizon for him & The Family. New Day has filled that void left by the SHIELD. These guys are finally being given creative freedom and knocking it out of the park every week. Woods, Kofi, and Big E have really made strides and I think that their star will only continue to get brighter in 2016. Ryback has had a very good renaissance in 2015 and I don't know if he'll get to the main event, but he's a credible big man. Stardust is probably the MOST underuitlized guy on the roster not NAMED Dolph Ziggler. Cody believes in the character. It shows in his promos and I think the WWE needs to get behind him here and push him toward a mid-card title. Ziggler continues to sell merch, but I think it's time for the ZigZag man to go #HeelZiggler once again. He's stuck in the same spot much like Edge was before he became the Rated R Superstar. Ambrose ditto. He's ready for the Main Event they've just got to pull the trigger on him. Turning him heel would be difficult not because I don't think Dean can pull it off, but he's just soooo OVER right now. The Divas are busting their butts every night. It looks like Team Badd is the next to split. Sasha is just so over wherever she goes. At WM 32 they need to have Paige defending the DIVAS Title against Sasha in a singles match. It needs to be one of the last 3 matches for this Divas Revolution to be taken seriously. The Talent is THERE. Fans need to be a little more patient and 2016 I believe will see the CREAM rise to the top of WWE.

To me the definition of a draw hasn't changed, I find guys like Cesaro, Owens, Ziggler etc are all talented guys who could possibly be big draws for WWE but they aren't put in a position high enough on the card to be measured on their drawing power. It's a combination of both Vince's inability to trust his current crop of talent and the introduction of the Network and using the subscription model to bring in revenue.

What they want them to draw is different to the old days

In the old days the draw was selling out a venue and selling PPVs. In the modern sense the important things would be a character who is marketable and can sell alot of merch, do public appearances and generate enough interest in the product for fans to tune into the tv shows and possibly subscribe to the network.

Of course the traditional draw is still there for house shows, where fans will buy tickets based on who will be appearing, although like many have said - the WWE brand is the overall draw and they don't have a problem selling seats as far as I know. For a smaller promotion or an indie show, a big name can really make a difference in sales of an event.

You need a guy that gets reactions from the crowd. A catchphrase is necesaary. A guy that can sell shirts to kids and adults. Someone you can put on a talk show. You need a guy that appeals to casual audiences and a name they can know, even if they hate wrestling. Like a Hogan, Rock, or Cena.

Wrestling fans today like the moves. The matches. The potential. The excitement. The chanting.

Doesn't seem like wwe and them are on the same page.

NXT and Raw are two different worlds now. One will have to become to other soon.

It has been briefly mentioned before but the legitimacy of WWE is a big part of it. The Superhero element of wrestling has disappeared and so everyone is smarter about what goes on. Everyone takes more of an interest in the ability rather than the fiction idea of Super Hero vs The Bad Guy. Everyone wanted to see Hogan beat the bad guy, regardless of his ability. Nowadays it's not about that but seeing the people get their or the work they put in. Good Guy or Bad Guy doesn't mean as much, ability is what makes them stand out.

However, no amount of ability will make everyone want to see you. Without the Superhero element, the incredible desire to cause havoc when out on the street outside WWE, disappears!!

Answer: You don't.

The truth is WWE picks who draws and who doesn't. They only want Cena to draw. They don't care about the rest of the roster.

It is quite evident that they refuse to push others and when they do start to get hot, Cena comes to bury them.

WWE wonders why t-shirt sales are so poor. It's because no one wants to buy wrestling shirts. The best selling shirts they have are because they DONT look like wrestling shirts. CM Punks best in the world shirt sold because it was cool. Randys one shirt sold because it looked like an MMA shirt. Kevin Owens KO shirt is selling awesome because it doesn't look like a wrestling shirt.

People want to wear cool clothes. Not shirts with wrestlers names on them.

I think in their own way every wrestler is a draw of sorts.

Yes, and it's the manner in which WWE mixes and presents their product that determines whether a show is going to draw; it's not so much the notion of building an entire show around one performer. One match? Sometimes, yes, but is that contest going to be so important that it's assumed the rest of the card can be garbage? I doubt it.

Okay, once they had Hulk Hogan.....and now they have John Cena. That's great, but with Cena scheduled to be away for 3 months, does that mean WWE is closing up shop and not producing any PPVs?

Obviously not. Instead, they'll concern themselves with putting on a bunch of compelling match-ups; some following a continuing storyline, others simply entertaining confrontations in their own right. It isn't a question of one guy carrying the whole company.

How does someone draw in today's WWE? Well, that's the million dollar question in any business enterprise, no?

I'd like to think that much like most corporations they utilize media research, public opinion surveys, focus groups, trends in merchandise sales and good old intuition from someone with a proven track record. And while people here may dismiss all of that public opinion talk I can tell you we are not an accurate cross section of mainstream America (Or where ever). I used to collect GI Joes and if you go to a GI Joe website they tend to hate Duke. Well Duke figures are usually one of the best sellers. So why the hate? Because "Hardcore" fans of any product always hate the poster boy.

I'd like to think that much like most corporations they utilize media research, public opinion surveys, focus groups, trends in merchandise sales and good old intuition from someone with a proven track record. And while people here may dismiss all of that public opinion talk I can tell you we are not an accurate cross section of mainstream America (Or where ever). I used to collect GI Joes and if you go to a GI Joe website they tend to hate Duke. Well Duke figures are usually one of the best sellers. So why the hate? Because "Hardcore" fans of any product always hate the poster boy.

Very good point. Don't know how familiar people on here are with Star Wars but Jar Jar Binks in Episode 1 is one of the most hated characters of all time by fans and critics and is often listed as one of the worst overall characters in cinema history

The thing is -

A guy who worked on the Star Wars Disney Infinity game said that he and his team did a massive public approval survey on who the most popular characters were, all ages participated. He said surprisingly Jar Jar wasn't even in the top ten most hated as he is very popular with kids and the casual audience...

We as wrestling fans are the same as the hardcore Star Wars fans. We will still be the first to watch the product even if we don't like some of the direction changes, the "hardcore" star wars fans who claim to hate the new films, I guarantee you - were the first in line at the cinema to see them.

Back to wrestling, that's what the WWE and their sponsors want, they know the adult male fans are going to tune in no matter what, even if we dislike half of RAW. It's that other percentage of kids and the people who are channel surfing and looking for something to watch - that's the audience they are going for

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back