How about a double champion?

mojmass

Feed Me More
On Smackdown we saw the Miz defeated US champion Antonio Cesaro while the IC champion Wade Barrett was on commentary table and after the match we saw a little face off between them so almost definitely we have Wade Barrett Vs the Miz for the IC title at WM. The Miz was on a feud with Antonio Cesaro before. So what about somehow we put the US championship on the line too we can have a double champion, the Miz, he was to some extent a double champion (or shall I say a triple champion) the US title and tag titles all three of them at the same time (remember at that time there were two tag titles for each half of the team?).
How would you like this to happen? Or do you like it to happen at all? Or maybe it's a good idea to unify both titles after he wins them?

To unify the belts would be better.I think that it is a little too late but a good idea. With the two rosters joining there is less time for each belt and the title becomes less important. If you get rid of the US title and keep the IC belt i think the mid-card gets much better.

What they should have done was a multi-man match at WM29. Cesaro, Barrett, The Miz, Jericho, Fandango and Kofi Kingston in a ladder match for the IC belt would have been very good. Get guys on the card and have an entertaining match. An opportunity missed in my opinion.

I'd be down to see another double champion. It would draw attention and give great exposure to the guy holding both belts, making him look like a big shot. Then again, the way WWE has booked the IC and US Champion to look lately, I doubt any of that will happen.

To unify the belts would be better.I think that it is a little too late but a good idea. With the two rosters joining there is less time for each belt and the title becomes less important. If you get rid of the US title and keep the IC belt i think the mid-card gets much better.

What they should have done was a multi-man match at WM29. Cesaro, Barrett, The Miz, Jericho, Fandango and Kofi Kingston in a ladder match for the IC belt would have been very good. Get guys on the card and have an entertaining match. An opportunity missed in my opinion.

totally agree here. MCMG is dead on -- dead-freaking-on -- that unifying the belts is better. that doesn't just go for the mid-card titles either. that's for the heavyweight titles too. i keep saying it: unifying the belts immediately doubles your competition for each division. there is no separation of brand shows now, so why not?

with MITB having/being its own ppv now, why not have a title unification ladder match at Mania this year? put guys on the card that should have a place in Mania anyway and give them something meaningful to do. i even like the six guys that MCMG suggested.

my guess is that if the titles were ever unified (again), then Vince would dissolve the US Title and keep the IC Title alive. that's what happened the previous time, which is fine with me.

whether the titles are unified, ever, or there is a double champion coming soon, i'd have it be Cesaro. it'd add to his character/gimmick and build for the future. if D-Lo Brown and Jeff Jarrett can be double champions, so can Cesaro.

Unifying the belts would be good and befitting of WrestleMania. However I'm also down with a scenario where both belts are on the line just like WrestleMania 2000 where Jericho, Angle & Benoit faced off.

I don't want to see Cesaro left off the card. He's quietly got on with being WWE's most reliable undercard performers over the past year. While Barrett & The Miz have featured fairly prominently and achieve the grand total of fuck all.

The double champion gimmick for Miz really put him in the top of the midcard and helped him reach the main event. He looked great carrying three giant gold belts out to wrestle. It worked so well because it hasn't been done since, so in a way the impact of this sort of gimmick depends on how rarely it occurs. If we get double champions all the time, it will no longer be special. Without unifying the championships, it would be fun to have a wrestler hold both midcard championships at once.

It would be a cool distinction for Ryback to earn, since WWE is hesitant to insert him directly into the main event. I had thought of Ryback winning the US Title from Cesaro to give him a similar progression that Goldberg saw in WCW. He could get booked into an IC title match while still US champion and win the IC. If the guy was up to it, I'd then have Ryback defend both championships in the same night at a PPV, retaining both times.

I remember last year, Cody Rhodes kept going on about how he'd be the first man to hold the Intercontinental Title and World Heavyweight Title at the same time by winning the Elimination Chamber etc, so following on from that line of work, I think it's very possible for Wade Barrett to go and take both of those titles somewhere along the line

Not necessarily at Mania but maybe in the weeks/months afterwards. Just throwing that in as a possibility

It'd be interesting. I'd hate to see Cesaro left off the WM card but, as of right now, there seem to be no plans in sight for him.

Cesaro has become one of WWE's most reliable guys inside the ring. He consistently has interesting, quality matches with anybody he's put into the ring with. Hell, even his matches with Khali were pretty decent. You have to be very talented to be able to carry Khali to a good match.

There's still a couple of weeks before WM, so there's still time to work in some sort of makeshift, three-way feud between Miz, Barrett & Cesaro. I doubt it'll happen though because there'd be stories all over the net if there were rumors of WWE considering unifying the mid-card titles, or even having a match in which both are on the line.

Not right now. Leave it as is. Antonio Cesaro is doing a fantastic job as US Champion. In this day and age it's all about long title runs. How many of you are aware that he's within striking distance of having the 5th longest United States Championship run in history?

Lex Luger 523
Rick Rude 378
Montel Vontavious Porter 343
Nikita Koloff 328
Barry Windham 283
Ric Flair 265
Steve Austin 240
Shelton Benjamin 240
Jimmy Snuka 231
Sgt. Slaughter 229
Greg Valentine 228
The Miz 224
Chris Benoit 222
Antonio Cesaro 220
Blackjack Mulligan 217

Look at how close he is to climbing the ranks. By WrestleMania He'll be catching up to Shelton/Austin in the rankings. After that...Ric Flair. Let Cesaro pass all of them and move into the top 5. Let him rub it in Miz & Flair's face that he passed both of them in terms of US Title reign. I've been as strongly FOR unifying the titles as the next but right now would be a terrible time for it. As far as a double champion goes not worth it either at the present. WWE has a hard enough time putting together 1 solid storyline for a champion. Now we are asking them to put 3 people together into a storyline that makes sense? Or are we going to just let anyone step in and challenge for both titles? This is the problem with people. We never think. If they go on ahead with the double champions then it will be a bunch of clusterf*ck matches that generally do not make sense. Back in the Benoit/Jericho/Angle days it MADE sense. So your idea is to take Wade/Antonio/Miz and throw them together? What's the back story with AC & Wade? Why should either risk their title in a triple threat/2-fall match? Again, no logic to a double champion at present. If you are going to do anything. Get rid of Wade as the IC champion. Keep the US title (as stated due to Cesaro's current reign) and shift Wade into the WHC/WWE Championship picture. Let Cesaro and Miz feud as Miz tries to cut his reign down before it passes his mentor Ric Flair. Have Miz fail, and fail, and fail to capture the title. Believe it or not people will continue to cheer and like the Miz if he loses and is constantly so close but always seemingly coming up short.

Unify- Yes but only if reigns aren't put in jeopardy.
Double Champion- Haven't we had enough clusterf*ck taking place? WWE is just getting some things back on trac. Let's not derail the little momentum they have established.

Unifying the belts does no good. Making the belts mean something would do some good. Cesaro's been beaten quite a bit lately, and that shouldn't happen to a champion. The champ should either be DQ'd or win. That's how you make the belt meaningful. Have the champ cut a promo talking about how this belt means the world to him and I can't be pinned while this is around my waist, so whether this title's on the line or not, you're not beating me.

It's real simple, but the WWE seems to think that if someone beats a title holder, that automatically makes said person better. It works if it doesn't happen every week on either Raw or Smackdown.

A double champion would work... if the belts meant anything. It all falls back to putting prestige back on the title holders. Barrett and Cesaro shouldn't lose another match until the belt's on the line. Period.

Once that's been established, having a double champion is as good as being WHC... because that's twice the title defenses and twice the trust the WWE has for them.

Do any of you have a clue what your talking about? The brand extension barriers breaking down creates more justification for a WWE-WHC title unification, not the midcard titles.. WCW never had a brand extension yet was ble to have a TV and U.S. title.. And you guys saying unify the titles is going to help the guy holding it, if Lance Storm had unified the WCW Hardcore, U.S., and Crusierweight titles would his character had been as big and would you expect him to be on the path to the WCW title?

the roster is big enough to warrant 2 or 3 midcard titles. Having a unified midcard title would bottleneck the build up potential of up and comers..

Any midcard title can up the importance of any midcard bout if its for a title.. Since its not possible to not run any of the shows without an undercard and midcard bouts you might as well upgrade some of them to get more value out of it. It sounds like most of you are arguing for unification for the ake of unification or maybe to see a new belt debut which is stupid and counterproductive..

This is the problem with people. We never think.
First of all I respect your idea and there is no problem with that.
Second you somehow insulted us with these words, who do you think we are? bookers? WWE creative team?
We are just fans and we are stating our opinion, know this before posting.
And I must say no offense intended.

First of all I respect your idea and there is no problem with that.
Second you somehow insulted us with these words, who do you think we are? bookers? WWE creative team?
We are just fans and we are stating our opinion, know this before posting.
And I must say no offense intended.

I didn't insult anyone I made a real statement. People tend to put ideas out there without giving a reason behind it and/or a means of getting to it. When people throw out ideas and put in ways that seem to be either credible/could potentially work they are thinking. Too much has gone on lately within the IWC where we all just spit out ideas without any rhyme or reason.

I would love to see the return of a Double Champion!! When I was a kid, being Champion was the goal. After I witnessed the Ultimate Warrior hold both the WWE and Intercontinental Championships simultaneously, well, let’s just say I lost it. The simple idea of one person holding two Belts, one SuperStar holding two Championship Titles, just blew my mind. I had to wait till Goldberg held both the WCW and United States Championships to see it again, and the same feeling came over me. It gave me the impression that this guy is so good (Warrior / Goldberg) that he has, not one, but two Championships.

I loved Chris Jericho’s run as the Undisputed WWE / WCW World Heavyweight Champion. I liked Lance Storm’s run as the Canadian Heavyweight Champion, 100 kg and Under Champion, and Saskatchewan Hardcore International Title Champion. I enjoyed Miz’s run as United States and Unified WWE World Tag Team Champion, considering it wasn’t two Singles Titles, but a Singles Title and a Tag Team Title, represented by Two Belts, with Big Show as his partner.

Now fast forward to today. I don’t know who I would give this honor to, but having one SuperStar as the Intercontinental / United States Champion, without permanently unifying the two Championships, is the way to go. I would like to see the United Continental (it still sounds better that Inter-States) Champion defend one or two Belts at a time, but leaving that decision up to him. Plus, in my opinion, I believe it would raise the prestige of the IC and US Titles, and make that Champion seem as important as the WWE and World Champion.

If I really had to pick right now, then I will go with Chris Jericho and on his way out, he could drop both Titles to Ryback. I can picture the promos now. “RyBerg?? GoldBack??”

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back