Houston Astros Unable to Sign First Overall Pick, Brady Aiken

smizzy

Doubt it, bud.
Keith Law, ESPN:
In the story of the Houston Astros' failure to sign two of their top draft picks on Friday, there are neither villains nor victors, only victims left holding empty bags. The first overall pick in the draft, Brady Aiken, declined to sign with the Astros, marking just the third time in the June draft's history that the top player did not sign and the first since 1984.

The greatest victim of all in this fiasco is Jacob Nix, the Astros' fifth-round pick, a high school pitcher from Southern California who agreed to a $1.5 million bonus and passed his physical but was not allowed to sign his contract because of a medical issue involving Aiken. While, practically speaking, everyone involved knew that Nix's deal was contingent on Aiken's, that's not permissible under MLB rules and couldn't be made explicit or put in writing, which will likely be the basis of any grievance filed by Nix against the Astros -- or potential litigation seeking to enforce the verbal contract between the parties.

Aiken himself was also a victim, as much of ill fortune as anything else. Aiken had agreed to a $6.5 million bonus from the Astros, but his physical revealed an irregularity in his elbow that spooked the team and caused a rift between the two sides that no one was able to bridge. Aiken isn't hurt; he is ready and cleared to pitch right away and was up to 97 mph in his last outing of the spring. He doesn't have a torn ligament or require Tommy John surgery. The ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow is, apparently, less than normal -- thinner or shorter, not absent like R.A. Dickey's but not full strength like those of most pitchers. The compressive force between a pitcher's forearm (ulna) and upper-arm bones is at its maximum when his arm is fully cocked, and without the UCL there to prevent further rotation in the elbow, the force on those bones would become excessive. That might be a long-term concern, but we have no examples of pitchers who've had this issue, and Aiken's response to any such questions would have been to point out that he's healthy and throwing 97 miles per hour. When one side says the pitcher is broken and the other says he's not, there's no middle ground, and the current draft system is ill equipped to handle a situation like this, regardless of where the player was drafted.

While the Astros could likely have handled several phases of this process differently, they became victims of the current draft setup (and its unintended consequences, a recurring feature -- not a bug -- in MLB's collective bargaining agreement negotiations) the moment they found something irregular in Aiken's medical. They decided the issue was serious enough that they didn't feel immediately comfortable offering him more than the 40 percent mandated by the CBA to ensure they'd receive a compensatory pick in 2015 if Aiken didn't sign. That discovery, however, changed the calculus on the deal they had in place with Nix: If Aiken didn't agree to sign for a reduced figure, they couldn't sign Nix without surrendering their top two draft picks in 2015 as a penalty for exceeding their bonus pool figure for this year. No player in this entire draft class was worth surrendering a first-round pick and a second-round pick next year. At that point, the Astros were boxed in by rules they likely never imagined would affect them in this draft.

All three parties are now supplicants at the feet of Major League Baseball, the only authority with the power to offer immediate remediation. Aiken and Nix are both likely to file grievances, Aiken claiming the team didn't negotiate in good faith -- although the Astros have said publicly they increased their offer to more than $5 million, which I assume is more than they wanted to pay given what they believe is amiss with his elbow -- and Nix claiming the team breached a verbal contract. I believe the Astros would have upheld their deal with Nix if the penalty wasn't two picks, but the current system doesn't permit them to go over their bonus pool even though their failure to sign their top pick was medically motivated, not financially. MLB could choose to step in here, on one or both cases, permitting the Astros to sign Nix without penalty (if he'll still have them, so to speak), or granting Aiken some form of free agency, as they did with Barrett Loux in a similar situation in 2010. The league's incentive to do so would be to avoid a grievance or, worse, a lawsuit that would make Jarndyce v. Jarndyce look like the "People's Court," inviting unwanted inquiry into the labor restraints placed on players by the draft.

Aiken and Nix are both left with uncertain academic futures, as the NCAA has likely been slavering over reports that cited an agent working with both players and could choose to investigate whether the players are violating the body's (likely unconstitutional, certainly unethical) proscription on players using the services of agents. Whether or not the Astros intended to out the players in this fashion, it's now on record that the team contacted a specific agent during this process. Either player could, and perhaps should, investigate attending junior college for one year and entering the 2015 draft, a step that would also avoid an investigation and possible suspensions if they matriculate at UCLA and Senator Draco of Indianapolis decides to drop the hammer on them.

The hope within the industry is that this debacle renews the push for some sort of pre-draft medical "combine" or any analogous process that puts critical medical information in teams' hands so they don't draft a player with an irregularity in his elbow if they don't want to. Such an endeavor would require pushing the draft back into the beginning of July -- I know one scouting director has suggested doing it at the All-Star break -- so that all amateur players would be done playing their spring schedules and the league would have time to get the results of any blood work done on players. The ripple effect would change the schedules of short-season leagues, summer collegiate leagues, the USA national team and many high school events, but the benefit to getting teams (and advisers) this information before the draft would seem to dwarf the costs in structural changes. No one wants the Brady Aiken situation to repeat itself. With a pre-draft combine, if the Astros didn't like something about Aiken's elbow, they would have passed, and the Miami Marlins, Chicago White Sox or Chicago Cubs would have happily taken him, and we wouldn't be having this conversation today.

Well this is a mess. I'm highly disappointed with Houston though. The agreement in place with Aiken was fair and their concern with his elbow is petty when considering his current health and ability (throwing 97). I can't fathom why Houston couldn't have taken a little risk and made the deal official, saving themselves this PR nightmare. Now they have to deal with probable grievances as well as ruffling the feathers of the fanbase; I'm no Astros fan, but given the reports on Aiken, I couldn't accept the elbow as reason enough to not ink someone who could be a franchise player. You just simply cannot allow a 1-1 pick to go unsigned. Period.

Yeah Brady Aiken is already a HUGE freaking bust, lol. But I think the Astros are just better off now letting him go. UCL problems? Uh, yeah. No thank you. Houston is way better off getting that second overall pick next year.

It does suck though that they couldn't sign their other guys too.

The Astros were counting on the bonus pool savings with Aiken to offer Nix that $1.5 million. But, the Astros aren't guaranteed all the money in their draft pool. If a player fails to sign, it loses the entire amount of the slot. For the Astros, that meant their bonus pool fell from $13 million to $5.4 million.

If they had followed through and signed Nix, the Astros would have exceeded their draft pool by about 17%, pushing them well beyond the threshold to tax them 75% of the overage and force them to lose two draft picks next year.

That's why they chose to make Nix's deal contingent on Aiken signing.

The bad part is Houston's grand rebuilding plan takes a significant hit, considering the team just lost the only three high school players it drafted in this 2014 class.

There goes Houston's 2017 World Series lmao. But it's unfortunate two promising baseball players are denied an opportunity to play professionally, thanks to loopholes in the CBA and an abnormal UCL. Astros fans lose out on another No. 1 overall pick, so soon after 2012 first overall pick Carlos Correa broke his fibula and 2013 first overall pick Mark Appel broke his ability to pitch well. Someone in the Astros front office is probably going to lose their job, too.

Then again baseball might lose, if the union gets upset enough at this circumstance to fight more contentiously in the next CBA negotiations. All in all, not a great day for anyone involved in this debacle.

Living in Houston, they don't get much play around here, we are still reeling from the Bosh debacle and that The Rockets got caught with there pants down.

The Astros are 3-4 years away from even being relevant in the AL. BEsides we are looking towards NFL right now anyway.

The Astros have a habit of doing bonehead things.

-Letting Nolan Ryan walk
-Firing Hunsicker
-Giving Carlos Lee a contract
-Giving Andy Pettit a contrat

Aside from hearing how Springer is doing no one in Houston really cares about the Astros.

Yeah Brady Aiken is already a HUGE freaking bust, lol. But I think the Astros are just better off now letting him go. UCL problems? Uh, yeah. No thank you. Houston is way better off getting that second overall pick next year.
The Astros front office is approaching levels of ineptitude not seen since David Littlefield in the early 2000's for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Upon signing Bryan Bullington, then [B/]twenty-four[/I][/B], as not only their first-round pick but also the first round pick of the 2005 draft, Littlefield said in a radio interview, "I can envision him as a solid #4 or 5 guy for us, down the road."

I kid you not, and with any other GM, I would have thought he was using satire. Not Littlefield, however. He was dead serious. And he was wrong about Bullington, as he was on Bullington pitched at most atotal of ten

As for the 'Astros, how do you draft a kid who already has UCL problems? I read the story, however, and he seemingly feels healthy, and is throwing well also. But they did everything in their power not to sign him, which also cost them two other promising arms as well.

It does suck though that they couldn't sign their other guys too.
It does. Ans baseball remains the one sport that is seemingly behind the cure when it comes to medical testing. Take some of the money that's being used to try and clean it up by investigating into the biggest names that ultimately sees 2-3 major names investigated by baseball and use it to gie these kids a physical? How?

Have each team submit a list of say, the top 10 players they're looking to0 draft by no less then a month before the draft. Average them out, and give the top 300 kids in all a physical(or all the kids on each list as they would take up each round, as many of the kids would overlap, I imagine) within the next week. Have the results ready say a week later, giving each team two and a half weeks to pore over the results

This should give team doctors, consultants, and experts more then enough time to review all pertinent medical data, allowing them to make informed decisions based on past health and predicted futures. That leaves no excuses for teams such as this, other than incompetent doctors, executives, and experts.

But yeah, this is among the worst management I've ever seen in my (almost) 32 years of living. To let three highly rated draft picks in one year go should equate to a complete overhaul of the front office that they allowed this to happen.

The Astros and their fan-base get screwed here, no doubt. But even worse off are the players who have two choices here.

1. They can go back to school: I know Aiken can at least, he was in high school. I didn't look into the situations of the other two. Hopefully, they can go back and improve on this year, although they shouldn't have to, especially in Aiken's case. It doesn't get any better than first in the country. Even if he pitches his way to another year worthy of the top pick, he won't be because of the UCL worries. No one wants to spend their top pick(and a lot of money) on a perceived ticking time bomb.

As for the other two, they hopefully hadn't graduated college, or they're screwed as well. They can simulate games and keep their arms in shape and attend and teach camps, but nothing tops real game experience. And they did nothing wrong except be in the same draft class as Aiken. Here is where baseball is behind the curve as well. There should be a loss the following year of these picks, not this year.

2. They can sign elsewhere, or with Houston, as free agents: Although I'd never want to play in Houston after this debacle. But where else? Anywhere they sign, they would get screwed, with contracts far beneath their value in the draft. Teams may be both empathetic and sympathetic towards the situations of these kids, but they're businesses first. Their job is to get the best talent for the best price, which is the opportunity here in front of them. If the kids want to start their professional careers now, this is their best choice, with an option to prove themselves and make more money later.

Again, just their association with Aiken screws them. Not Aiken's fault, and not in principle the fault of the Astros either. But they do deserve the most of the blame that's to be passed around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back