Holograms

DethMetal

Best for (the Music) Business
Earlier this year, the music industry started these projects known as "holograms". The general idea was to recreate the stars taken by the grave and to recreate their likeness in digital form. A Tupac hologram has already been created and has gone on tour with other artists, as well as a John Mayer hologram dubbed "Tron Mayer". My question to you is, what is your take on the hologram thing so far?

What prompted me to decide to make a thread on holograms was that I recently heard that they were planning on making a Freddie Mercury hologram, despite that Queen has stated that they refuse to play with a hologram of possibly the best rock singer of all time. Holograms of Amy Winehouse and Elvis Presley have also been planned. I personally don't like holograms. I think that it's ridiculous to think that you can recreate live performances with digital representations. Also, it proves how much people seem to have a problwm letting go of the past. I always thought the music industry was in trouble for the past few years, but this is something else entirely. I don't get why the musicians of old can't be allowed to rest in peace.

What is your opinion of holograms?

What prompted me to decide to make a thread on holograms was that I recently heard that they were planning on making a Freddie Mercury hologram, despite that Queen has stated that they refuse to play with a hologram of possibly the best rock singer of all time.

The hologram of Freddie Mercury is only supposed to appear on stage at the "We Will Rock You" musical to, I would imagine, thank the fans and whatnot. He's not actually going to perform with the other members of Queen.

My feelings are basically that I would rather just watch the available performances on Youtube and DVD's. If we set aside the fact that none of these stars are available to voice their opinion (aside from John Mayer I guess) there's still the fact that some holograms would just not work. Jimi Hendrix and John Morrison (whom I think both are being considered) were two front men who were notorious for improvising onstage. The fact that it's all prerecorded and I would assume using backlogged vocals(?) kinda takes the thrill out of seeing them "live". Personally if I were a musician that had kicked the bucket I'd have no problem of having a hologram of myself created as long as at least half the profit went to my family which is another problem. I haven't actually looked into this but who is profiting from the Freddie Mercury hologram? What about the Tupac one? Is their family getting any income from these "performances"? Do they even have any say?

I think it's pretty cool honestly. I definitely understand and sympathize with the moral arguments people have against it, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. It seems pretty harmless to me, and in the meantime it would give people who never got to see these artists perform the opportunity to see them live to some extent and get a feel for what it really was like to see them. It's a sensation and an opportunity that hasn't been possible until now and I think a lot of the artists would probably have been amazed by the technology and flattered by the idea that they would be so beloved in passing, that people years later would want to see them in hologram form.

I personally am waiting for a Michael Jackson hologram. The Jackson's are going on tour and have mentioned that they either were going to do it, or that they had thought about doing it. All I know is, I never go to see Michael Jackson in concert and I wanted to my entire life. I was going to finally live my dream when the "This is It" tour was announced and go to London to see him at the London 02 arena, but that hope was snuffed out with his passing. Now, I would give almost anything to see him even in hologram form, just to be able to one time say that I got to see him perform in some way. It's just not the same to watch videos or dvd's. To be able to look on stage and see what appears to be him right there performing would be the most amazing thing ever. I think Michael being the person he was, would have been the first one on board to have it done had he known it was possible. He loved to be on the cutting edge of everything and to have the opportunity to essentially live forever in holographic form would have probably been something he was all for. Had he lived until now he would have probably found a way to incorporate it into his shows, having a holographic version of himself younger dancing with him now or something like that, I'd imagine. That's just something Michael would do right there, anything to amaze people and put on an incredible show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back