Hogan Region, Omaha Subregion, First Round: (16) Jack Brisco vs. (17) Giant Baba

Discussion in 'Hogan Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 16, 2017.

?

Who Wins This Match?

1. Jack Brisco

2. Giant Baba

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round match in the Hogan Region, Omaga Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#16. Jack Brisco

Vs.

[​IMG]

#17. Giant Baba

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

2. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

This sort of scenario happened in December 1974 when Jack Brisco, as NWA World Heavyweight Champion, was touring Japan. Brisco dropped the title to Baba at a house show in Kagoshima, Japan on December 2nd, faced Baba again in Toyohashi, Japan and won the title back 7 days later.

All in all, Baba would have a total of 3 brief vanity runs with the title while the champ was touring Japan with the other two at 7 and 5 days in length respectively. Outside of japan, Baba didn't really accomplish much so I'm going with Brisco for the win.

3. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

Interesting contest here. I've made the argument before about Baba's track record and fame being pretty much a dud in North America and I still feel it holds some credence. Jack Brisco's a great old school wrestler. He's got the amateur chops, the natural ability, the speed and the canniness. He's sort of the perfect NWA Champion. Baba's great success is as the Japanese Andre (in a very simplified sense) and then as a behind the scenes master of AJPW. He's the sort of big foreign guy you'd bring in to make Brisco look good en-route to victory. Leaning very heavily for Brisco, but I'm open to being swayed.

4. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Just checked the poll and it seems like people are making the right choice here. Baba did defeat Jack in Japan for the NWA world title, but Baba was king at the time there. Jack was king everywhere else. He held the NWA world title for nearly two and half years and was one of the most successful and popular champions of the 1970's. Certainly more so than Baba. Baba's reigns were all politically motivated. He sat on the board of the NWA and was a prominent promoter in the alliance, even serving as vice president of the organization for a time. Jack Brisco was given the title to represent the organization as its flagship champion and top star. He was never a transitional champion like Baba.

Vote Jack Brisco.

5. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

I'm not so sure this is the walk over that people have suggested it might have been. Baba is a much bigger name in global wrestling, but that being said, much of that is to do with his being one of the major bookers in world wrestling. Brisco probably edges this in the US.