History of W.C.W. Monday Nitro: The DVD collection?

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
The Best of W.C.W. Monday Nitro:

While several threads discuss and talk about W.C.W., the rise, the fall, the possibility of any type of rebirth. This isn't exactly one of those threads. Instead, this is coming to me through the W.W.E. 15th Anniversary DVD of Monday Night Raw.

I got to thinking, since the W.W.E. owns the copyrights and the video library of all the W.C.W. footage, why don't they use it and make a Best of Nitro, or a history of Nitro DVD collection? It can do exactly what the Anniversary DVD did for Raw. Only instead of it being an anniversary DVD, it can be a history of DVD, since Nitro is no longer around.

Now here's the idea of this thread. What are your opinions, if this type of DVD were to be made, what would you put on it? What highlights from Nitro, matches, promos, segments, etc. What highlights would you place on a DVD collection that would be made to highlight the best moments from W.C.W.'s Monday Night show?

Please explain in great detail why you list everything you do. Don't just list a promo, segment or match without explaining why it'd deserve to be on the DVD collection. I'll start with some examples.

SEGMENTS:

Debut Nitro: Obviously the first thing that comes to mind, is you need a starting point. So obviously, start with the first-ever episode that took place from Minnesota. The Mall of America. During that show, you had Ric Flair against Sting, and you also had the debut of Lex Luger, who just came off appearing at Summerslam, during the Main Event. A lot of people had no idea Lex's contract was up, so this was a huge surprise and a great way to kick off a brand new show.

n.W.o. is Born: Several segments and promos regarding the n.W.o. would/could be used for this DVD, because logically the n.W.o. was such a huge part of W.C.W. throughout most of the year's of Nitro. The two segments I'd use the most, would be the debut of Scott Hall coming through the crowd, because that marked the very first arrival. And the other segment I'd use, would be the Hulk Hogan "stick it" promo, because that truly set the standard for everything the n.W.o. was.

Another possible segment would be the initial backstage attack at the Disney Studios, in which Hall and Nash laid out several Superstars, including "lawn-darting" Rey Mysterio Jr. into the trailer.

Fourth Spot: In the history of W.C.W., there was no greater group of elite individuals than the Four Horsemen. The n.W.o., collectively was such a powerful group, that it eclipsed itself and became a rival company within a company almost, which is why the Horsemen remained elite, even above the n.W.o.

However, if one moment ever connected the two anymore than anything before or after it's time, it would be the now-famous "My spot" promo, in which the n.W.o., consisting of Kevin Nash, Syxx, Buff Bagwell and Konnan would recreate the 4-Horsemen promo in giving Curt Hennig Arn Anderson's spot. This segment might not be anything huge compared to others, but it's definately worthy of being on this DVD, because it's sticking it to one of the most legendary groups of wrestling history.

n.W.o. Nitro: Right before Starrcade 1997, the n.W.o. completely destroyed the Nitro set. There was a match with Eric Bischoff against Larry Zbyszko set for the p.p.v., at which if Bischoff won then the n.W.o. was able to change Nitro into their show. They had a preview of what the show would be like, after the p.p.v.

While the n.W.o. didn't actually win the match, the fact is this show was amazing because of all the interaction over taking over the show and changing everything about it from the logos and staging equipment, to the banners and television programming. I think this would be great to have, on a history of DVD.

Bischoff & Russo Unite: While I'm jumping ahead, and my next segment might be before this one, the fact is.. the Bischoff/Russo confrontation was a huge landmark and the next step for W.C.W. as it was hurting for ratings. This marked the beginning of the "New Blood" and was a huge risk/reward for W.C.W. to take.

Personally I think the New Blood/Millionaire's Club angle was one of the very best. Unfortunately I think it came a year too late. Regardless, the promo and segment these two had, when meeting in the ring for the first time was legendary.

MATCHES:

1. Brian Pillman v. Jushin Liger/September 4th, 1995: It was the very first match in Nitro history, and it didn't disappoint. It wasn't a contest between one "known" athlete and one "no-name." It was a contest between two well-known Superstars, and it set the standard for what W.C.W. would mainly become known for.. their cruiserweights.

2. Tag Team Championships: Sting & Lex Luger (c.) v. Steiner Brothers v. Harlem Heat/ June 24th, 1996: While I can't say I remember the match, just looking through the history of some of the matches that happened, this was a Main Event. And because of the star-power that was Sting & Lex Luger, combined with the greatness that was both the Steiners as well as Harlem Heat, I believe this would be a great match to add to the random collection of matches for this DVD.

3. Cruiserweight Championship: Dean Malenko (c.) v. Rey Mysterio Jr./July 8th, 1996: In the history that was the cruiserweight Championship, these two set the bar that was very rarely out-done. You can't have a history of W.C.W. in any manner, without having a Cruiserweight Championship match.

4. World Heavyweight Championship: Hollywood Hogan (c.) v. Lex Luger/August 4th, 1997: This was the first true step in the right direction for W.C.W. to kill the n.W.o. Hulk Hogan won the World Heavyweight Championship from the Giant in 1996, and held onto it for almost 1 full year.

Unfortunately for W.C.W., Hogan won the title back 5 days later at their Saturday p.p.v., Hog/Road Wild. However, as far as Nitro standards are concerned, this was a landmark episode as it was an episode in which W.C.W. finally brought something back, instead of lost something else.

5. United States Championship: Steve McMichael (c.) v. Curt Hennig/September 15th, 1997: This match isn't anything perfect, or worth remembering in the timeline that was. However the one thing it was, could've arguably been the final stake in the heart of the Horsemen. Why? Because one night removed, it was the Wargames p.p.v. (Fall Brawl) in which Curt Hennig turned on the Horsemen, joining the n.W.o. - this match was Hennig taking the title from a Horsemen, and bringing it to the n.W.o.

6. World Heavyweight Championship: Hollywood Hogan (c.) v. Bill Goldberg/July 6th, 1998: While I can't and never will be capable of standing Bill Goldberg, the one thing this match was.. was something that never happened anywhere else, on any show including Pay Per View. And that, was barely witness to Hulk Hogan "passing the torch" in a younger Superstar, without taking it back later.

Goldberg was undefeated, going into this match with a very impressive streak. Hogan didn't try to overshadow his opponent for once, and completely played the role of squash victim as Goldberg went on to become World Champion.

SKIPPING AHEAD: While I won't continue to post even more matches, I think I've proved my point with the objective of this thread. I could literally go through each year, and hand pick promos and matches.. but if I did it myself, it'd leave nothing left for anyone else. So, without any further waiting.. what are everyone's thoughts, opinions and ideas on a possible "History of W.C.W. Monday Nitro" DVD?

What segments, promos and matches would you add? Why would you add them? Please give detail and explain your opinions in-depth. Thank You.

I'm not sure that I could come up with a better list than you have put together. Everything that i can think of of importance is there, with the lone exception being Sting vs. Flair in the final match ever on Nitro. Those two are probably the biggest legends from that company and had one of the best rivalries of all time. There's little argument that Flair made Sting what he is today, but Sting took Flair to a level that a VERY select few could do and that Flair didn't reach that often. While I always believed that WCW's greatest problem was not being able to get away from the past and produce new stars, this being the final match on the program was absolutely perfect. Those two were WCW for a long time, they were on the first show, and it fit that they should be on the last.

Another match that I would include would be War Games 2000 in the Triple Cage. This is probably a lot more of my own bias as War Games has always been my favorite gimmick match, but this was a very different kind of War Games. It was something like 8-10 people in a triple cage at once for the World Title. Raw was in my home town that night and for some reason I didn't get to go, so I was one of the few that was able to see this match live. It was fairly boring with Nash coming in and going out as champion, but a stunning appearence by Bret Hart at the end of the match shocked everyone including me. This was WCW at it's best: Over the top, insane gimmick matches with big cages. They always could make these work for me at least, and this was no exception.

Now, as to why I don't think this type of set will ever be made. It's always seemed to me that Vince believes that if he didn't create it, it wasn't a good idea. To myself and a lot of people, Nitro, at least during the NWO era, was a better show. It was more dramatic and definitely more must see tv, at least until Austin won the title and there was the whole debacle of Starrcade 1997. Up until those two points, Nitro was dominant. I'm not sure Vince would want to showcase how great that show really was and show how he got flat out beaten by Turner and the idea of the NWO.

I'm not sure that I could come up with a better list than you have put together. Everything that i can think of of importance is there, with the lone exception being Sting vs. Flair in the final match ever on Nitro. Those two are probably the biggest legends from that company and had one of the best rivalries of all time. There's little argument that Flair made Sting what he is today, but Sting took Flair to a level that a VERY select few could do and that Flair didn't reach that often. While I always believed that WCW's greatest problem was not being able to get away from the past and produce new stars, this being the final match on the program was absolutely perfect. Those two were WCW for a long time, they were on the first show, and it fit that they should be on the last.

If you're familiar with the Raw Anniversary DVD, then you'll know it came complete with the entire first episode of Raw. I think if a W.C.W. Nitro collection were made, it should have the entire first and last episodes of Nitro. It would only make sense.

And it would also be quite ironic that Ric Flair v. Sting was on the first, and last episodes. So yes, Sting/Flair would definately be a must-have in this collection as that was one of W.C.W.'s main feuds.

Another match that I would include would be War Games 2000 in the Triple Cage. This is probably a lot more of my own bias as War Games has always been my favorite gimmick match, but this was a very different kind of War Games. It was something like 8-10 people in a triple cage at once for the World Title. Raw was in my home town that night and for some reason I didn't get to go, so I was one of the few that was able to see this match live. It was fairly boring with Nash coming in and going out as champion, but a stunning appearence by Bret Hart at the end of the match shocked everyone including me. This was WCW at it's best: Over the top, insane gimmick matches with big cages. They always could make these work for me at least, and this was no exception.

The Triple Cage was a unique match made by W.C.W., so because of it making a Nitro appearance I'd say it should definately be highlighted as well.

Since this was brought up, and I can't think of the 3-tier cage without thinking of their movie. I also can't escape the possibility of having some type of segment that shows David Arquette as their World Heavyweight Champion.

Since it'd be a W.W.E. produced DVD, and like you said (below) McMahon doesn't like thinking anything could be good unless he made it. I think they could in some ways treat segments like these, as if they did with the Ultimate Warrior DVD, and completely downgrade and bad-mouth the product W.C.W. was putting out at this time.

Now, as to why I don't think this type of set will ever be made. It's always seemed to me that Vince believes that if he didn't create it, it wasn't a good idea. To myself and a lot of people, Nitro, at least during the NWO era, was a better show. It was more dramatic and definitely more must see tv, at least until Austin won the title and there was the whole debacle of Starrcade 1997. Up until those two points, Nitro was dominant. I'm not sure Vince would want to showcase how great that show really was and show how he got flat out beaten by Turner and the idea of the NWO.

If anything though, Mr. McMahon didn't create E.C.W. either, yet he's produced several DVDs in it's name, and even rebirthed the name-sake and created his own show out of it. Obviously W.C.W. was and always has been a greater threat to the W.W.F/E., the fact is.. why hold personal emotions over the subject.. when in the end, you bought them?

Why not continue to make money, not just for your own product, but also for your rival opponent? If anything else, I'd think McMahon would love doing this. And if you think about it truly, he's already produced a "Best of Starrcade" set to come out either this month, or next month. So it isn't impossible to think this set wouldn't be made at some point.

I just hope they'd do it justice in some fashion, by giving it a deep run-time of like some odd 6-9 hours. I've always been disappointed with how short the "Monday Night Wars" DVD was. It had so much potential to be a greater, longer DVD.

Very true. However with ECW, I'm kind of in agreement with Vince remade ECW to make it a laughing stock. Watching it now, it's clear that it's looked at as a minor league, which is what I think Vince always saw the original as. I think with ECW, Vince knew he was definitively #2 at worst, and that ECW wasn't ever really a threat. Whether everyone else believes this is up in the air, but I think that's what Vince thought and I personally think he's right in that assumption. Why WWE is so adamant about their copyrights is beyond me. It's not like these matches and old tapes are going to make them any money for the most part now, so if someone wants to put some old stuff up on Youtube, why not? I know that if there was a best of Nitro, I'd certainly take a look at it at least. I very rarely buy WWE dvds, but i might get the Nitro one. Definitely agree with you on the Monday Night Wars dvd. I'd love to see an independent version of it also, instead of WWE overcoming the odds and surviving, when in reality, it was Hulk Hogan's ego not being able to let Sting beat him cleanly that was a major key to WWE being able to survive.

Great idea as I've wondered why WWE has not yet put together a best of Nitro DVD yet. Or even a "Rise and fall of WCW" DVD as I'm sure it would make a lot of money.

One thing I could think to add to this that you have not is the whole Sting Angle that eventually led to a horribly sloppy match at Starrcade 1997.

For over a year Sting was in the rafters watching down as WCW had turned their back on him. The DVD could cover the history of why Sting hid from WCW his big return and even the "Fake Sting" that the nWo had brought in.

This was a great long lasting angle that should have culminated in a much better match.

I'd also like to have a segment talking about how their were too many factions near the end of Nitro... (lwo, nwo wolfpac, hollywood, wcw, new blood etc.)

The thing with WCW is...it was a much more PERSONAL mark with Vince than any kind of relationship with ECW might have been. In fact, Vince gave ECW air-time, if you do remember. The pushing of ECW products and footage is, in my estimation, a ploy to get smarks to put some money in WWE's pocket. To be an ECW fan, you REALLY had to be into wrestling, as it wasn't as mainstream as the big 2. WCW could have been watched by casual fans just flipping through the channels on Monday nights. So, if smarks are that motivated to see ECW back in the late nineties, then they are probably going to be motivated enough to purchase a DVD containing its footage...far more motivated than a fan would be to purchase less rare, more mainstream WCW footage.

Anyway...

I would appreciate a pretty exhaustive look at Nitro. They would have a documentary portion, obviously...one far more in-depth than the one on the Monday Night Wars...focusing solely on things from WCW's perspective. I'm talking interviews with Ted Turner, Bischoff, Schiavone, Dusty, Russo, even Mike Tenay.

In terms of matches:

1) Goldberg v. Hogan July 6, 1998 - WHC

This match might be the most popular match that Nitro ever had. It was huge...definitely a Starrcade type match that they just decided to have on live T.V.

2) Sting v. Diamond Dallas Page April 26, 1999 - WHC

The first of two title matches that night...this one being the better of the two. In fact, this is probably my favorite Nitro match ever, likely because I wasn't a fan yet when Goldberg v. Hogan happened. I remember watching this match live and being PUMPED the whole time. It was such a good match. A LOT of false finishes and reversals. The Diamond Cutter reversal into the Scorpion Death Drop was one of my favorite moves ever. GREAT and underrated match.

3) Kevin Nash v. Hogan January 5, 1999 - WHC (FINGERPOKE OF DOOM)

Whether or not this match sucked, it's an important piece of WCW (and wrestling for that matter) history. I would actually dedicate A LOT of a documentary piece to the thinking behind the angle and reactions to it from Goldberg, Nash, Hogan, Bischoff, and other creative staff.

4) Flair v. Randy Savage January 22, 1996 - WHC

Haven't seen the match I don't think...but Flair v. Savage is apparently one of the better WCW feuds of all time.

5) Rey Misterio, Jr. v. Billy Kidman March 15, 1999 - Cruiserweight Championship

Kidman had one of the longer Cruiserweight Title reigns in history, and to have it ended by Misterio on Nitro is in and of itself worth putting on the DVD.

Didnt the WWE have a "Best of WCW" 3 Disc DVD and 1 CD box-set announced some time ago?

I believed they were already working on it for release in 2009. After seeing the 2008 list (which apparently contained a Best of Sting 3 DVD'er also) it looked like it wasnt going to be this year, but I do remember them saying something about it a while back.

I mean, I wouldnt want to restrict it to Nitro. There was the odd match and moment on Thunder worth a look, especially given some Promo's and Matches followed the storylines on from Monday to Thursday and back around to Monday as well.

Personally, a 5 DVD set containing the Best of WCW as a whole would be much better... but you have to understand, that McMahon is a stubborn piece of crap. He doesnt like WCW, and only wanted that library for the Stars he had then/now to make DVDs beefier. (For example, the Ric Flair Collection, Hulk Hogan Collection... even the King of Kings DVD.)

For the money Vince paid for those Videos and copyrights, Id have paid double, if I had it. I may not have been able to revive the company, but given the footage alone, DVDs the fans want to see, and agreements with each party (TNA and WWE) for rights to footage for the DVD's they want to make, would make a packet.

Vince is sitting on a potential Nostalgic Goldmine, and he continues to exploit it for HIS Superstars...

Now thats something I could say I could beat Vince at. Making money from something that cost money. He isnt. The possibilities are endless.

If Id have bought WCW back in 2001, Id have made:

Best of WCW
Best of the nWo
Best of Hogan
Best of Sting
Best of Flair and the Horsemen
Best of Goldberg (I think this would be a good seller, with about 200 Matches on it.)
Best of the Macho Man
Best of DDP
Best of Lex Luger
Best of Sid Vicious
Best of the Outsiders (Incorporating Nash and Hall's Tag's and Singles)
Best of Harlem Heat
The Future of WCW (Containing Chris Daniels, AJ Styles, etc)
Best of the WCW Cruiserweights (Another good seller)
WCW's Funniest Moments
WCW's Greatest Moments

The franchise had a strong line up, and even with people who signed with WWE before the sale (Benoit etc) there is nothing stopping you from making money exploiting their popularity and releasing a DVD to accompany their push in the WWE. (IE: When Benoit won the Title, releasing a DVD around that time.) Interviews would be an easy feat. Not with people like Flair, but people like Macho Man, Nash, Hall, Sid, Lex, DDP... all Indy or not working now.

Eric Bischoff could give an insight to life in WCW, without the WWE whispering in his ear.

Vince frankly doesn't need Starrcade. Nor would it benefit him. Starrcade was WCW's Mania equivalent, and Vince wouldn't want to have a PPV that would confuse people into thinking that Wrestlemania wasn't the biggest event of the year. Furthermore, he wouldn't want to reduce the importance of Summerslam, Survivor Series, and the Rumble by throwing Starrcade in there.

The reason Vince gets away with throwing The Great American Bash in there is that it was never one of WCW's high-tier PPVs (Starrcade, Bash at the Beach, Fall Brawl, SuperBrawl, etc.). It was a WCW version of No Mercy. So, in adopting it, he is attracting historical purists while not diminishing the value of his top-tier PPVs.

Well, if you're going to recount history, you have to put in some of the bad stuff too. Gotta take the goo with the bad. Here are some Nitro moments I'd add:

1. The night Bischoff invited any WCW superstar to join the nWo. Buff Bagwell's famous turn when he hit the neckbreaker on Scotty Riggs when he had his back turned.

2. The night after Starrcade 1997, when J.J. Dillon stripped Sting of the belt because of the controversial finish. This would be the first time Sting spoke to anyone in nearly a year with a pointed comment right to Dillon, "You have no guts..." then to Hogan, "And you...you're a dead man." Even though the match was shit this promo at least attempted to bring back some of Sting's credibility.

3. The Fingerpoke of Doom. Has to be there, simply put. The worst ending in Monday night history will always be remembered.

4. Bret Hart gauding Goldberg to spear him, only to reveal he was wearing breastplate. The crowd reaction (it was in Canada, after all) plus Goldberg laying there, and Bret "proving" he could beat him by outsmarting him.

5. Jericho's "quest" for justice when he lost the Cruiserweight title to Dean Malenko. I think all of the vignettes (or at least the majority of them) were on Nitro. Classic stuff that made Jericho what he is today.

Hey, BrooklynBuc... you missed out Chavo's utter stupidity in the quest to find Goldber for them few weeks in 1999-2000... hehe. ;)

The Sting Speech on Thunder was the main thing I was thinking of when stating that Thunder would have to be put in a DVD about WCW, otherwise you wouldnt really be able to follow the plot of storylines.

For pure wrestling sake, then these segments and promo's arent needed, but in wrestling right now, you have people watching it for the wrestling, whereas back then, you had people watching it for the soap-opera style, and "what would happen next" feel.

I think the main thing these DVDs would need are continuity in the storyline, not just for the nostalgia, but also to sell more copies. That way the Storyliners are happy, the wrestling fanatics are happy, and its something you can sit down with the Mrs. and watch, whereas pure wrestling wont keep her attention.

The reason Vince gets away with throwing The Great American Bash in there is that it was never one of WCW's high-tier PPVs (Starrcade, Bash at the Beach, Fall Brawl, SuperBrawl, etc.). It was a WCW version of No Mercy. So, in adopting it, he is attracting historical purists while not diminishing the value of his top-tier PPVs.

I really disagree with that, and I'm not really sure how you came to that conclusion.

With the exception of Starrcade, GAB has more history and tradition than Bash at the Beach, Fall Brawl, and SuperBrawl.

GAB has existed in some shape or form since 1985. Bash at the Beach dates back to 94, Fall Brawl 93, and Super Brawl back to 91.

While I fully agree that Mr. McMahon would never add Starrcade to the list of Pay Per Views, for no other reason that the random effect that it could confuse people into thinking it was a top-tier p.p.v.. I disagree with you about the Great American Bash p.p.v.

W.C.W. (to me) had two major Pay Per Views. It had Starrcade (Mania) and Superbrawl. (Mania 2/Summerslam) The Fall Brawl p.p.v. was an equal to what could be Survivor Series. And the World War 3 p.p.v. was suppose to rival that of the Royal Rumble. The problem with all of those events, is the fact that they all connected within the span of monthes.. not throughout the year.

Now then, the Great American Bash is a history making event in and of it's on. So to say it's considered the "No Mercy" of W.C.W. p.p.v.'s is utter crap. The Bash was one of the longest reigning original W.C.W. p.p.v.'s.

Actually, it was originally an N.W.A. p.p.v. if I recall correctly, that turned into a W.C.W. p.p.v.. it skipped two years (for a reason I don't know of) from 1993-1995, returning with a 95 installment. And in it's later useage it was a rather iffy p.p.v., but regardless of how it ended.. the fact remains it was still a very important and well-known p.p.v.

So I doubt McMahon really said "We aren't using any of their Mania like p.p.v.'s, find me one that was shit." Then they got the Bash. That's incorrect to even think.

Other WCW Nitro matches to add to such a DVD would be the following:

Owen Hart Memorial Match: Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit
The four on four young superstars vs older superstars match from Vince Russo's first ever Nitro. I know Benoit, Bagwell and Saturn were 3 of the 4 younger guys and that Ric Flair was 1 of the 4 older guys. If any remembers the full list of competitors for this great match please reply to remind me. Thanks.

In my opinion not only should WWE release a best of Nitro DVD but they should also do something similar to the Tagged Classics range that they do for WWE pay per views, in which with WCW they could probably release Tagged Classics featuring the two best WCW Pay Per Views from each year, therefore one double disc DVD would be released for 1990, one for 1991, and so on.

While I fully agree that Mr. McMahon would never add Starrcade to the list of Pay Per Views, for no other reason that the random effect that it could confuse people into thinking it was a top-tier p.p.v.. I disagree with you about the Great American Bash p.p.v.

W.C.W. (to me) had two major Pay Per Views. It had Starrcade (Mania) and Superbrawl. (Mania 2/Summerslam) The Fall Brawl p.p.v. was an equal to what could be Survivor Series. And the World War 3 p.p.v. was suppose to rival that of the Royal Rumble. The problem with all of those events, is the fact that they all connected within the span of monthes.. not throughout the year.

Now then, the Great American Bash is a history making event in and of it's on. So to say it's considered the "No Mercy" of W.C.W. p.p.v.'s is utter crap. The Bash was one of the longest reigning original W.C.W. p.p.v.'s.

Actually, it was originally an N.W.A. p.p.v. if I recall correctly, that turned into a W.C.W. p.p.v.. it skipped two years (for a reason I don't know of) from 1993-1995, returning with a 95 installment. And in it's later useage it was a rather iffy p.p.v., but regardless of how it ended.. the fact remains it was still a very important and well-known p.p.v.

So I doubt McMahon really said "We aren't using any of their Mania like p.p.v.'s, find me one that was shit." Then they got the Bash. That's incorrect to even think.

I agree with you for the most but I think Halloween Havoc was a major WCW PPV to also; as you said the only other WCW PPV that could compete the GAB was Starrcade; the only reason to watch Fallbrawl was cause of Wargames which got horrible as WCW degressed that last one one worth watching was the NWO with the fake Sting vs Luger,Savage,Flair Sting when they turned there back on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back