• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"Hey John, Watch It-My Diet Soda!"

nightmare

...7, 8, Better stay up late...
classic line & one of many last night on raw by none other than our friend cm punk. his lines at the gm podium were well handled & tounge in cheek. his comments during 'lay-cool's visit sarcastic as ever. but, the comment he made when cena appeared during the tag match "hey look, its grimace!" gave me flashbacks of the great bobby heenan.

The Brain is by far the best heel commentator ever. classic wit & humor. deadpan jokes & comments on the storylines. never will i forget heenan & all the shit he gave mean gene over the years or his many great comments in the booth. punk seems to be channeling The Brain in his newly accquired seat at the table & i am loving it.

so here is my question. who is your favorite commentator of all time? color, play by play, special guest? vince? heenan? jesse ventura? J.R.? etc...

J.R. is my favorite but I've always liked the the wrestlers turned comentators, such as John "Bradshaw" Layfield, Mick Foley or CM Punk. It seems like they can more to then just regular announcers can. John "Bradshaw" Layfield is probably my favorite as far as heel announcers go. Everyone wants Cole to shut the fuck up, well JBL made him do just that. I don't know exactly if it was the pairing with Cole, but JBL really made me laugh at times. His commentary really showed us a different side of JBL. Not totally heel, but fair in his announcing. He knew what was going on in the ring and to me, one of my favorite announcers.

Another great one would be CM Punk. Punk just started announcing but I love it already. CM Punk is very unbiased (sometimes) for example last night when he began yelling to Cena he's fired he shouldn't be there. He was also yelling for King to kick Cole's ass. Punk wasn't a full fledged heel or face. I mean did you hear the fucking HUGE pop from Louisville last night? I believe Punk says what we want to say most of the time. Once Punk's career is about done he's deffinatly got a spot at the announcer's desk.

Mick Foley is another wrestler turned commentator. He, in my opinion, is one of the best promo cutters in the business. He's great on the mic and can really think on his feet. Seems he would make the perfect announcer. Foley always gave a lot of detail. I mean he did wrestle with most of the guys he called matches for. He made it seem like he was giving us tips on how to become a wrestler everytime he called a match. He called every move with such enthusiasm. Great announcer.

J.R. is my favorite of course but JBL is a close second.

Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura for Big PPVs, Jesse was good at explaining to the audience about holds and moves, as well as pushing the heel agenda card, he seem more passionate about it especially when it came to Hogan or Savage or Rick Rude.
Gorilla was just great as a face announcer, he seem to ground things when Ventura or Heenan would go flying off the handle on something "Give me a break."

Growing up watching Prime Time Wrestling more so than Superstars or Tuesday Night, Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan were like bickering Uncles too me. So watching oldschool Wrestling on WWE Classics on Demand is like sighs...memories.

As a permanent fixture at an announcement booth I would probably have to give it to Jim Ross really. He wasn't 100% perfect and would botch some names and dates occasionally but he seemed excited when he was commenting and in turn made me excited about what I was watching.

Although he wasn't a permanent announcer, whenever Chris Jericho would do commentary during a Wade Barret match or during an Edge match in his feud or anyone else, I thought Jericho was absolute gold and was above and beyond the SmackDown and NXT commentators. I would love to see a combination of Jericho and Punk commentating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back