Henrik Zetterberg Receives 12 Yr. Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
I think this is pretty stupid for the Red wings to do.

Is he worth it? Of course he is. He's an elite player, and is one of the top scorers in the league. He is one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and is the star player on a consistently great team. That being said, look at how the long term deals have worked for other players. Yashin got a 10 year deal, and was never the same. DiPietro got a long term deal, and has had major surgery on each, or both, knee(s) every year since signing. It'll be hard for him to be motivated, and he could definitely drop to the level of a player not worth this amount of money, or this number of years.

I've heard the argument, that the Red Wings are doing it to bring attention to the team, and that it'll spread their name to potential free agents. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP! The Red Wings are an Original Six team, and are always competing for the President's Trophy, and the Stanley Cup.

I don't know why they would do this. I understand wanting him signed for his career, but I've never liked a deal longer than 5 or 6 years, and that's pushing it.

They are officially locked in with the player for his career. Nothing wrong with that, he has proven every year he has been in the NHL to be exactly what they need. In the NHL, the cap has forced players and the NHL to think about money. The Red Wings are able to keep him for a price that will never go up due to salary cap rises. Zetterberg also has a job for the next 12 years in a time when contracts may decrease. Good deal all around, and only players like Zetterberg should receive them.

DiPietro had a great season, and was rewarded with a monster contract, and look what happened? Anything can happen, and because of that, they shouldn't have given such a long deal.

I will not take anything away from him. He's an excellent player, and one of my favorites. But, what happens if the CBA falls apart, and all of a sudden the team has half their cap set to 3 players? Then what? Then they are the team that needs attention, and needs to attract good players cheap...

Well last time the cap was set at its lowest, players like Jagr had their contracts reduced, just so their team could pay them. I believe all contracts were cut by 30% when that happened.

Anything can happen, that is true, but what if it doesn't? Detroit could have one of the nicest, hardest working players in the NHL locked in until 2021.

Well last time the cap was set at its lowest, players like Jagr had their contracts reduced, just so their team could pay them. I believe all contracts were cut by 30% when that happened.

Anything can happen, that is true, but what if it doesn't? Detroit could have one of the nicest, hardest working players in the NHL locked in until 2021.

I see your point, and I whole-heartedly agree. Zetterberg is a potential MVP, perennial all-star, and international great. He has the chance at playing his entire career with one of the most storied teams in the NHL, and will almost assuredly have a shot at the Stanley Cup every year. He's always been surrounded by great talent, and will always have that, as long as Detroit keeps up their record of signing, and developing, great players.

This is, and always has been, a league of what-ifs. I hope it doesn't happen, but what if he gets leveled in the playoffs on a breakaway, and either never returns to his original status, or never returns, period? It's not a chance worth taking.

The problem I have with people comparing this deal to DiPeitro's and Yashin's is that Zetterberg is a much better player and asset to have than those two. Any team would love to have Zetterberg on their team and now the Wings have him for a good chunk of time and don't have to worry about him leaving for free agency and the Wings getting nothing. Remember Mike Richards signed a big deal with the Flyers and so far so good. I'm not gonna sit here and say that it's not a big committment to make, but will say it's a good committment. Zetterberg is and will be a great player for the Wings.

In case you don't remember, DiPietro was a huge deal at the time. He was the supposed to be the next great goaltender, and he was the future of the franchise. Since that deal however, he's had surgery after surgery, and the team just hasn't been the same.

I know Zetterberg is not an injury risk, but DiPietro wasn't at the time either. The team gave up on Salo, and began to devote their money into other areas, including Yashin, and the team fell apart. If, in a year or two, Zetterberg starts to fall off a little, or if he grows complacent with his contract, the team is going to regret giving him so long of a contract, that they have no way out of.

In case you don't remember, DiPietro was a huge deal at the time. He was the supposed to be the next great goaltender, and he was the future of the franchise. Since that deal however, he's had surgery after surgery, and the team just hasn't been the same.

I know Zetterberg is not an injury risk, but DiPietro wasn't at the time either. The team gave up on Salo, and began to devote their money into other areas, including Yashin, and the team fell apart. If, in a year or two, Zetterberg starts to fall off a little, or if he grows complacent with his contract, the team is going to regret giving him so long of a contract, that they have no way out of.

DiPietro was never expect to be an incredible goalie, just a good goalie, so that deal was obviously idiotic, and I said it the day he was signed. However, Zetterberg is an incredible player, and the best of what he does. Long term deals are happening a lot more in the NHL these days, and for some good reasons. If a player does get hurt, they can still get released from the team, and the team doesn't have to have that money towards the cap. A team like Detroit makes well enough over the cap to not have to worry about this then.

This too me seems to be a growing trend in the NHL i think largely due to the salary cap and the fact that many guys are entering the league so young. The list will continue o grow you can add Zetterburg to a list of Dipietro, who is underseving.....on the other hand, Alex Ovechkin, Mike Richards, Sidney Crosby deserve these type od deals.

Who else am i forgetting?

DiPietro was never expect to be an incredible goalie, just a good goalie, so that deal was obviously idiotic, and I said it the day he was signed. However, Zetterberg is an incredible player, and the best of what he does. Long term deals are happening a lot more in the NHL these days, and for some good reasons. If a player does get hurt, they can still get released from the team, and the team doesn't have to have that money towards the cap. A team like Detroit makes well enough over the cap to not have to worry about this then.

In national/international media, maybe he wasn't meant to be an incredible goalie. But, I live 2 hours away from Nassau Colisseum, and they were treating the signing like it was going to return the team to their status of the early 80's. As a Rangers fan, I saw that it was a stupid deal, and that it was only going to backfire, but the local media was definitely making it out to be as big as Gretzky leaving Edmonton, or Bure leaving Vancouver. He was billed as the next thing, and it never panned out.

I know Detroit makes more than enough to cover any cap hits they might get if they cut Zetterberg, but chances are they'd only let him go through trade, and then they're paying a portion of his salary, and whatever salary's they acquire. At $72 Million, it is definitely a bargain for a 12 year deal, but something tells me this is going to backfire. Giving that it's less than 12 hours after the deal was signed, we have a long time to see what happens.

This too me seems to be a growing trend in the NHL i think largely due to the salary cap and the fact that many guys are entering the league so young. The list will continue o grow you can add Zetterburg to a list of Dipietro....underserving.....Alex Ovechkin, Mike Richards, Sidney Crosby.

Who else am i forgetting?

Did you just say that Ovechkin and Crosby do not deserve some of the richest contracts in the NHL? They are by far the better players, along with Malkin in the NHL right now. Any team would love to lap them up for years, preventing them from leaving their teams for Detroit or the Rangers.

My bad no i meant DiPetro is undeserving. All the others i think they do deserve what the got as clearly they are some of the best players in the league. And in the case of Ovechkin and Crosby, arguable the best two. You could add Malkin to that mix too. With these guys being so young i see it as a great investment to lock them up to these deals as all are franchise type players.

Did you just say that Ovechkin and Crosby do not deserve some of the richest contracts in the NHL? They are by far the better players, along with Malkin in the NHL right now. Any team would love to lap them up for years, preventing them from leaving their teams for Detroit or the Rangers.

My bad i meant to say DiPetro is undeserving. All the other guys are more than deserving esp in the case of Ovechkin and Crosby, who are the best in the NHL along with Malkin. I think this trend is going to continue to groww as players conntinue to enter the NHL so young and it is a good investment to do this with guys who are franchise type players.

Who else has a huge deal like this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back