• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hendo for Light Heavyweight or Middleweight title?

JWGunslinger

Warrior Forever
After Dan Henderson won an incredible five round slugfest against former UFC Light Heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua,he got a nice little treat from UFC president Dana White. Dana said that Dan's performance at UFC 139 and his recent winning streak have earned him a guaranteed shot at a UFC title, but White is leaving the decision of which weight class he fights at up to Henderson himself, either Jon Jones for the Light Heavyweight title or a rematch with Anderson Silva for the Middleweight title. So my question is which do you want/think he should go for?

Which weight class should Dan Henderson pursue a title in? Why?

Personally, for the sake of easiness, I'd go with the Light Heavyweight Championship. With Anderson Silva injuring his shoulder and probably being out until mid-2012, it's going to be one hell of a title situation over there. Chael Sonnen will have to take another fight from now until then and if Hendo wanted the Middleweight Title, wouldn't he then get pigeon holed into that same situation?

It's far easier if he takes on the winner of Machida/Jones. Plus, I don't think he wants to change weight classes again. He's looked great at Light Heavyweight, beating the former champion, there's no reason to not stay there.

I guess he deserves a shot at 205. It's fucking asinine for him to receive one at 185 considering he got whooped by Anderson last time and his last fight at that weight was an embarrassing loss to Shields. Nothing in his fight against Anderson indicated he stand any kind of chance. He layed on him for five minutes before getting his takedowns stuffed and being destroyed. Add that to the fact he got embarrassed for four rounds by Shields and nothing he has done would warrant a title shot.

At 205, I don't see him having much of a chance against Jones. Jones is going to kick him into oblivion while staying way out of Hendo's reach. Hendo gasses by the third round and gets taken down and broken by elbows.

205 without even thinking. Fizzy said it right. Silva destroyed him in their first fight, and his last fight, he got destroyed by Jake Shields. Also, there are ATLEAST 3 guys who deserve a shot at Silva more than Hendo does. Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort, and Mark Munoz. Also, Silva is hurt and reportedly out until June, so that would delay the fight by even more.

I believe Hendo would lose to both Jones and Machida (in case you didn't know I can't stand Jon Jones, so me praising him in any way means good.) Hendo's conditioning is very shaky compared to Jones and Machida's, and both men would easily take advantage of it. Also, if the fight got up close in the clinch with either men, Jones would elbow the fight out of him, and Machida would tire him out easily. If Henderson were to get a shot at the belt, it definitely should be at 205, but even then, I don't see Hendo walking away with gold either way.

I don't think Hendo has that much interest in cutting to 185 anymore. I thought that was his reason behind moving up to 205 anyways. He stated a while back that he hated making the weight cut, especially since it isn't as easy for him now that he is older. I don't really care if that is the reason or not. He hasn't done anything to earn a title shot at 185. His last fight at Middleweight was a loss. He has no argument for a title shot in that division. However, he does have an argument at Light Heavyweight. He was the last Strikeforce LHW champion and he just beat the second or third best LHW in the world. Pretty good case for a title shot. It doesn't really matter though, I don't really see him beating Jones. I think it'll be a solid fight, but I think Jones is to young and athletic for Hendo to really beat him. Should be a solid fight regardless. I would love to see it go down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back