HELP: Need an indy highlight reel

NotoriousMEAT

TWITTER: @Son_Broku
It's a long story, but the short version is my best friend has grown tired of the WWE product and has FINALLY opened up to alternative forms of wrestling. This break through has been 5 years in the making! I'm going to sit him down one weekend, and we're just gonna binge on wrestling.

I know the kind of guys who would probably catch his attention, but I'm looking for match suggestions because I don't just want to show him what I like. I'm trying to really stay with ROH, New Japan and maybe a little PWG to start with. I'll probably toss in a little Dragon Gate and Evolve. Promotions that would be easy for him to follow. I'm a ringside member on ROH.com and recently subscribed to NJPWworld. Lucha Underground is just out of the question. He HATES everything Lucha Libre. I attribute that to years of Rey Mysterio beating his favorite wrestlers.

So what I'm looking for are for match recommendations from the past year or two. Good stories or great action or a combination of both! All suggestions are welcome! They don't have to be from the specific promotions listed above. If there's an excellent match that you would show a first time viewer, throw it down below!

@Notorious, check out the Indy Power Rankings for some hot names in unfamiliar places. Should be a good jumping off point.

Do you have any Indy promotions in your area? Nothing better than taking in a live show to truly develop an appreciation for the little guys.

Then your friend is a moron.

Thanks for nothin guy.

@Notorious, check out the Indy Power Rankings for some hot names in unfamiliar places. Should be a good jumping off point.

Do you have any Indy promotions in your area? Nothing better than taking in a live show to truly develop an appreciation for the little guys.

We've gone before, but really just because I made him because I didn't wanna go by myself haha. The indy wrestling in my area isn't all that great.

Even if you can find a half ass promotion the live events can be a lot of fun. You just need to take over the moment. I've seen individuals who have never been wrestling fans just transform into maniacs at Indy shows.

Regardless of what non-WWE company you decide to watch, I think that NXT should still be on your "watchlist". They do make the most compelling television as far as weekly wrestling shows go. Ring of Honor is also very good and the fact that NXT & ROH weekly shows together are two hour long, is just a plus that doesn't really make you tired of wrestling.

If you want to follow New Japan, I've to say that Wrestle Kingdom 9 is the way to start and if you want to watch it on dailymotion just send me a PM and I'll give you the links. (not my uploads). Also if you read the LD and the previews I posted, you'll be ready to follow it no doubt, mainly because New Japan is pretty simple.

As for PWG, I gotta say I've enjoyed it more in the past - now, it seems that the brand has been dragging and the matches most of the time are overbooked, also with ROH talent being left off, they'll lose some steam.

Evolve & Dragon Gate (Japanese not USA) are solid picks, I've yet to find where to watch it though and their events sometimes are way too long, so just pick a wrestler you like and go from it.

So if I wasn't a big WWE fan, that's what I would follow:
- NXT (TV & Specials)
- ROH (TV & Specials)
- New Japan (Read the results from the Road To (event name here), and specials).

Impact's re-debut may be good too. You should at least give it a try. As for right now, you have Roode vs. Lashley in a World Title Match for tomorrow. It's the third match and it's Roode's first title defense since winning it against Lashley. You'll get The Wolves vs. Revolution (James Storm & Abyss) probably at Lockdown (it will be free) and already confirmed The Wolves vs. The Hardyz on the 8th of January tapings. Also, Low Ki and Samoa Joe will probably get it on too, and those two are fun to watch.

Regardless of what non-WWE company you decide to watch, I think that NXT should still be on your "watchlist". They do make the most compelling television as far as weekly wrestling shows go. Ring of Honor is also very good and the fact that NXT & ROH weekly shows together are two hour long, is just a plus that doesn't really make you tired of wrestling.

It took a few months, but I finally got him into NXT thanks to the last special. He was blown away by Balor and the Divas match. I've also penciled in the IC Title match from WK9. I know he'll love Nakamura.

Any specific matches you can think of from the last year or so? Any promotion.

It took a few months, but I finally got him into NXT thanks to the last special. He was blown away by Balor and the Divas match. I've also penciled in the IC Title match from WK9. I know he'll love Nakamura.

Any specific matches you can think of from the last year or so? Any promotion.

Everyone does. Japanese wrestling's been so strong in the last three years, that you can't really go wrong in any of the big matches. Add the Shibata vs. Ishii match I talked about in my thread at The Bar Room and he'll be hooked.

Beyond Wrestling's been good I guess. I've only seen Chris Hero vs. JT Dunn - Last Man Standing Match at Beyond Wrestling Uncomfortable and it was really BRUTAL. Hero's a good worker, so you can count on him to give you a good run for your money. I can't find any links though, but the match is available on Youtube for $1.99. It's worth it. Also, go show him AJ Styles vs. Kyle O'Reily from Ring of Honor's TV last year.

Everyone does. Japanese wrestling's been so strong in the last three years, that you can't really go wrong in any of the big matches. Add the Shibata vs. Ishii match I talked about in my thread at The Bar Room and he'll be hooked.

Beyond Wrestling's been good I guess. I've only seen Chris Hero vs. JT Dunn - Last Man Standing Match at Beyond Wrestling Uncomfortable and it was really BRUTAL. Hero's a good worker, so you can count on him to give you a good run for your money. I can't find any links though, but the match is available on Youtube for $1.99. It's worth it. Also, go show him AJ Styles vs. Kyle O'Reily from Ring of Honor's TV last year.

Ah see that's what I'm lookin for. I wanted to show him Kyle O'Reily but wasn't sure what match. Him vs AJ was great. I actually tried getting this same friend to watch that exact match the next day haha. Thanks bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back