• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Have You Ever Been Ashamed To Be A Fan Of Your Team?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
This question came to me yesterday after I had to watch my Miami Dolphins go through yet another 4th quarter melt-down. Has your team ever been so bad that you didn't want to even acknowledge you were a fan of them to anybody? Have you ever gone to a game with a paper bag over your head?

It's tough to be a fan of a shitty team sometimes. Or in my case being a Dolphin fan, where you have to hold your breath every 4th quarter hoping they don't choke the game away. Do you feel the need to voice to everyone your a fan of your team, even when they're bad? Or do you try to keep it to yourself and not talk about it?

If they're any Detroit Lions or New Jersey Nets fans out there, I expect to hear from you. Don't be afraid.

I have to be very honest with you and tell you that I am ashamed to be a fan of my team at the moment. As some of the people around here know, I am a Glasgow Celtic fan and in the world of football and sport in general, there will never be another team that will be closer to my heart than Glasgow Celtic. With that in mind, it is with a very heavy heart that I ever say that I am ashamed to be a fan.

However, at this time, I have never felt less passion for the team. They have taken two wins from their last ten and although they sit at the top of the league, they really don't deserve to be there. They have been on a very poor run and I think they are only just now getting back to finding some form. Of course, I have always been a fan and I always will be. However, every supporter has a loss of faith at some point and I think it only comes naturally if your team is going badly.

I am ashamed to be a fan of the browns. They used to be so great like 4 to 5 years ago and now they just suck. It just sucks they only won one game this whole season. I'm not sure what the browns can do to improve maybe new everything and coaches. But the only reason I'm fan is cause they are from the home town cleveland. We well at least the bengals are good even though they don't live in cleveland.

Oh without a doubt I have been ashamed of my teams. I am a die hard Colts, Pacers and Baltimore Orioles fan and even though one of the three is successful I do find my self being embarassed of their play. I was ashamed to be a Pacers fan when the brawl at the Palace happened. That was one of the most embarassing things that could happen and it did. Also, their play the last two seasons has been bad and a major disappointment.

Then their are the Colts who even thought they play very well always have that win at the last second mentality. Their play at times this season has just made me sick to watch and even though I am happy they won the games I am terrible embarassed of their performance.

The Orioles are the worst of the three. I have been an O's fan longer then the other two and watching them get beat by double digits more then once last season made me cringe. Also, a souple seasons ago when they were sitting in first place in their division and then preceeded to piss it away and not even make the playoffs.

So yes, I have been ashamed to be a fan of my favorite teams but at the end of the day they will remain my favorite team regardless of performance.

I have never been ashamed to be a fan. And this is coming from a guy who lives around the Detroit area and is a huge Lions fan. If you are ashamed of your team then why are you a fan of them? You have to stick with them through the good and the bad times. And believe me, with the Lions there are far more bad times then good times.

Absolutely not. I mean, what's the point of being a fan if you're gonna be embarrassed of said team?

I mean, take me for example. I'm a lifelong Bengals fan. Have I ever been embarrassed? No. Have they frustrated me? That's a resounding hell yeah!!! Same goes for the Blue Jackets, Reds, and Cyclones. My point is, if the team of your choice also embarrasses you, maybe you should stop calling yourself a fan.

I love my teams and I'm always proud to say that I'm a fan of them no matter how bad they are. Vikings, Phillies, and Sixers are my teams. It has been a nice few years for my Phils after plenty of bad ones and the Vikes are playing great right now. Can't say much about my Sixers, except Iverson might be coming back and that would make me rather happy. So to answer your question, no I've never been ashamed to be a fan of my teams.

I'm a Bear and Vikings fan. It's hard for me to get ashamed of those amazing teams :p. But this year I have to admit the Bears have been less than stellar this year. We went to the Super Bowl a few years ago but we have slowly fallen to the position we are now. I kept telling myself the Bears would get better but this Sunday was a realization, we suck.

The days before the Vikings vs. Bears game I told my friends it would be a tie game classic. As I was watching it I see past this curtain. Watching them face a team I didn't have a vendetta against, making my mind only seeing their faults not my own, I saw how many interception Cutler threw, how many times Favre threw the ball down field as we watched in awe. I realized how stupid I felt bragging about this less than average team.

Still, unlike my friends I don't like the Redskins, talk about ashamed

This thread is coming from a person that is a Miami Heat, Dolphin, Florida Marlin, and Panther fan. While the Marlins and Heat have won championships in the 2000's, both of those teams have been very streaky, and absloute shit at times. And then there's my beloved Dolphins, who feel the need to collapse in the fourth quarter every now and then for as long as I can remember. Let's not forget the pounding they took from Jacksonville in '99, where they lost 62-7 in the playoffs. The second worst playoff lost in NFL history by the way....what a great way for Dan Marino to retire.

There is plenty of speculation that Dwayne Wade will leave the Heat after this season, and if that happens, they will be shit for years. So while I do remain a fan of all these teams, and watch every game I get a chance to, there are times where I've been so pissed off I don't even want to mention them.

My teams are a little scattered. I'm a die hard Sharks, Giants (baseball), Lakers, and Redskins fan. I've never been ashamed of them. Its been rough as a Redskins fan for a while now. No disrespect to Lions, Browns fans here but you don't have the talent the 'Skins have. If you were to go down the roster position by position we aren't that bad. Yet we couldn't beat those winless teams.

They spend and spend yet the same results. Despite that I can't be ashamed. I've never felt the need to hide the fact that I'm a fan. I think that's part of being a fan. Everyone goes thru this at one point or another. Its how you handle it that defines what kind of fan you are. So while things get rough, the true fan sticks thru it to the end.

I used to be ashamed of my team. but sports are too great to be ashamed of your favorite team because they could be gone in an instance. i don't know how many games i saw melo put up 30+ or A.I. make my defense look stupid. i was ashamed then, i admit. but after years of hopelessness we get a stud outta Texas to give us hope, and suddenly, we have nothing.

I am/was a Seattle SuperSonics fan.

I might just be an optimist or something, but I don't think I have been. I have been upset, but never ashamed. Canucks have been missing the playoffs far too much in the past 9 years, but still, I look at the positives. The Blue Jays are in the hardest division in baseball, a division that has 4 World Series champions, and I think 7? appearances to the World Series. But they try hard, usually around the .500 mark. When the Suns didnt even make the playoffs, I still stood by them, and they are a pretty good team this year.

I've never been ashamed of my rugby team, I completely love them. I think there's been one game in 15 years that I've left before the end of time because I couldn't watch anymore, but I'll always clap my team at the end of each half, and will always be proud to be a fan the next morning whether we've won or lost. As a Rhinos fan, I've had years of criticism. But now, they've found the formula that works and are the only team ever to win the Super League grand final 3 years in a row. There's nothing to be ashamed of.

As my name suggests i am a Spurs fan. Not San Antonio. Im talking about Tottenham Hotspur. The leagues great under achievers. With the amount of talent weve had at the club we should have done so much beter in the past 12-13 years then 2 Carling cups. And when our North London rivals are doing well il admit its hard to take the criticsm the next morning but i have never been ashamed to call myself a fan!

I have been a diehard fan of the Seminoles, Braves, Jags, and Magic and like many other I have been disappointed, frustrated, let down, and many other words. But embarrassed or ashamed will never be what I feel about my teams. They could all go out there and lose miserably and I will still be watching. All I have have to say is if you are embarrassed of your team then find a new one or quit watching all together.

Oh dear god, I am ashamed to be a Nets fan right now. I've liked them since 1995? But they are just god-awful right now. Now I know our season has been plagued by injuries this year, but really guys, 2-27, Really?!?!... When they fired Lawrence Frank as the head coach, I thought maybe we would start winning, Keke Vendeweigh? 2 wins? Thats all? Way to go NJ Nets, You completely fucked up this year. I can see you getting 8 wins at most by the time the seasons over. However, getting the #1 pick in the draft isnt too bad either. Hopefully we do get the #1 pick because the draft is known for screwing with NBA teams, a fucking lottery? Gay as shit....

Yes in the 06/07 season my team Adelaide United lost 6-0 in the A-League Grand Final (A-League = Australia's Soccer competition) It was horrible we won most of our matches throughout the year but when it came to the grand final we Choked against Melbourne Victory. But my faith was restored when we came 2nd in the Asian Champions league.

for sure. As of late my fav teams have not done very well. Living outside of Toronto, I have always been a big Maple Leafs fan but the only significant playoff runs they've had were in 1993 and 2002 where they made it to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. Since then... nothing. This season, they just suck..

Calgary Flames: nothing past 1st round since 2004. Although they have great players in Iginla, Phaneuf, Kiprusoff, Rene Borque etc.. they cannot really score more than a couple goals a game. They gotta crank up the intensity.

Da Bears and KC Chiefs... losing hope.

I'm a Newcastle United fan, that speaks for itself. The last 18 months have been a constant embarrassment as I continually have to defend the club from people who actually have legitimate arguments as to why the club is a total fucking shambles. From the Wise hiring, to the Keegan sacking, to the appointment of Joe "I didn't know he was even alive" Kinnear, to the near 3 months without a manager, to relegation via a fucking own goal, to the ridiculous "I'll sell the club for more than it's worth" and finally (I hope) the last and greatest insult in renaming 100 year old St James Park to SportsDirect.com@StJamesPark, the last 18 months have been infuriating.

No I can never say I have been truly embarassed of my sports teams. I am a fan of the Dallas Cowboys and San Antonio Spurs, both of which get a lot of criticism even from local folks. I also enjoy the Texas Longhorns (NCAAF) and when I watch baseball (rarely) i root for the Houston Astros.

The Cowboys get never-ending criticism, mainly because of Tony Romo continuously choking in December (not this time around, punks), and simply because the team as a whole seems to be a haven for ex-cons (long list), drama queens (Terrell Owens), and overpaid failures (former TNA Tag Team Champion Adam "Pacman" Jones, Roy Williams).

With the exception of Roy Williams still being on the roster, the 'Boys have resolved all of those issues, it appears. I was glad they let go of T.O's whining ass. That was the first step in making that locker room a better place to work, and in making the organization as a whole not seem like a joke. They beat the Eagles in the final game of the season...redemption for last season and motivation for themselves, as they clinched the playoffs.

The Spurs still have work to do. They get the trash talk because they are too "soft" and too "old." I have to agree with the age thing, but the only reason they seem soft is that they traded Bruce Bowen, their best overall defender. And his replacement, Richard Jefferson , has not come into his role well. Once they work out the kinks, though, they will be a dangerous team, no doubt.

2007, Miami Dolphins. The great 1-15 team that couldn't win even if they were given a 10 point spread. If it wasn't for Camarillo they would've been 0-16, luckily that isn't the case. That team was so sorry I stopped watching for a few weeks, they were just that awful

Yes sometimes it is a little hard to be a Oakland Raiders fan but I wouldn't say Im ashamed. But the last season it got a little easier to be a Raiders fan.

Its not hard to be a Lakers fan this year

Its was crushing to see the Dodgers go that far into the playoffs then collapse.

And for those who figured out 2/3 teams here are in LA I do live there

Redskins/Chargers in the NFL, Lakers for NBA, Cubs for MLB and The Caps for NHL. A skins fan this year lol wow is all I can say, we have the worst owner in Football. The Cubs,well we all know that hot mess...And The Caps are real good but seem to always fuck it up in the post season, it especially hurts when it happens to bitch Crosby and The Pens. And I was hoping for 1 win vs Dallas this year for The Skins but nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back