• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Has this forum changed the way you view the wrestling product?

Bernkastel

Reaper of Miracles
I joined in 2006, and before that I was a typical mark that didn't really have an opinion on the product other than I liked what I saw each week. After joining I quickly became "corrupted" by the whole "smarkdom" movement. I quickly came to think that moves and spots were more important to the product than psychology and storytelling. Anyone from 2007 probably remembers my joshi phase [which I still like, but I view it differently than I did before] which I tried to push onto the forum.

I guess things started to change for me around late 2008, early 2009. When I started watching a lot of older matches I tried putting myself into the seats of a fan of that era, so that I could enjoy the product a little better. I begin to trust what I heard about the business from interviews, documentaries, and books rather than dirtsheets.

Rereading a lot of my past posts and threads from years ago I find that I disagree with about 85% of just about everything I wrote. I guess I really have this forum and all the guys that have been here over the years for really influencing the way I view the product. Has being on this forum influenced your views on the product?

Not at all. Well. Maybe a little. I won't go into detail, but these forums (and similar groups I have belonged to in various social media) have made me dislike the Attitude Era, and original ECW even more than I did back in the day. I used to just ignore it. Now, I can't log in anywhere without seeing people talk about how they miss it, and PG sucks, and Rocky this, and Austin that, and waaaah, waaaah, waaaah, I want my attitude back. At this point, I can't avoid it. It makes no sense to me.

In other aspects, these forums have made me appreciate the business side of wrestling a lot more.

Still, every Monday, Thursday, and Friday, I sit down, I suspend disbelief, and I enjoy the product. Just as I did in my teen years, and early childhood. It's just a shame I can't enjoy WCW live every week, though....

It definately as for me. I didn't so much care for Mic skills and in ring skills at the time. Sure people bored if they weren't that great in the ring, but no matter who it was, if they could jump off the top rope I loved it. I always loved the gimmicky matches as well and if I didn't join this forum I wouldn't of enjoyed the HBK and Taker matches as much and etc.

Also I could never understand why the guys I liked ala Jeff Hary would never get a chance at the WWE title. Now I understand I definately enjoy wrestling a whole lot more.

When I first came to this site I was more prepared to rip Vinnie Mac for what I perceived to be a low-quality offering in both Raw and Smackdown week after week, less accommodating to John Cena and his place in the company (despite my over-all ambivalent attitude and my appreciation of his promo-cutting skills which most other people tend to ignore or berate), and more given to place MOVEZ MOVEZ MOVEZ atop a pedestal (despite my being attracted to pro wrestling because of the storytelling aspect, if with a lot of bruising and bruised egos).

Basically, in the months since, nothing much has changed, except that I appreciate the WWE more as a business, John Cena more as a top guy, and moves more as a merely a means to an end, and not nearly as appealing as I had thought.

My thanks to TWJC: The Beginning's and Slyfox' enlightening posts for all that.

Not really, I've always been a cynical asshole when it comes to the wrestling product. If anything it got me watching wrestling more than I was when I joined but at the same time it hasn't really changed my point of view on anything.

Well I now think Ultimate Warrior is best thing since sliced bread.

Apart from that it might've done, but that would mean going through my old posts to find out and they make me cringe.

It sure has changed how I see wrestling. I now believe most smarks are equally nonsensical and self-important, subscribe to almost none of their beliefs, and fine myself enjoying wrestling more than ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back