• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Has John Cena elevated the US Title or has the US Title lessened Cena?

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
By biggest complaint in regards to the Cena/Rusev program is that Cena had just previously lost his bid to become the WHC, while Rusev himself had never looked weaker as Ryback beat him and Reigns bitched him out of the Rumble, so it seemed like Cena was stepping down instead of Rusev stepping up.

Many people believe Rusev losing to Cena will help his career, but I don't think ti will. Already Rusev's screen-time has been noticeably reduced. But what about the state of the Championship? It seems weird seeing Cena at such a distance from the WHT and main storyline. You'd think they'd use him to put guys like Rollins or Reigns over. Cena himself honestly doesn't seem enthusiastic about holding his belt, as his promo segments lack passion.

However...

The more I watch Cena as the U.S champ, the more I'm beginning to feel like the U.S Title is regaining some prestige. Not only is Cena the biggest star who gets the loudest reactions, he does defend the belt on a weakly basis. While it's inevitable he will win, he has made his opponents look good- Even Barrett, who hasn't won since forever, seems like a credible threat after losing. I don't want Cena to just be talent enhancement, so I'm perfectly fine with him scoring these wins.

But also, the biggest issue with the U.S Title is that it had become a decoration for the holder. Ambrose rarely defended it, Sheamus occasionally vanished because the creative team seemingly had nothing for him to do and his feuds were rarely compelling and even Rusev has only defended it occasionally. Cena defending it on a weekly basis is a firm reminder that it exists. Unlike the IC belt, it doesn't change hands on a daily basis.

So even though Cena doesn't feel as important, I do think he has made the U.S Title more important. The only question is how long he will keep it. If he drops the belt to Rusev, unless it's a clean loss, I think it will undo everything.

John Cena's someone who's career in WWE is set in stone and even though he might be in THE top spot right now, I don't think it matters. Cena's a star and is always going to be a star, he'll be back in the main event picture this time next month if he really wants to be.

Using someone like Cena to elevate the United States Championship is a novel idea. There've been threads over the past few years hypothesizing having a main event star like Cena as a mid-card champion and it seemed unrealistic. Not that it was a bad idea, it just didn't seem too likely to happen. But now that it has, the United States Championship does have a more important feel because Cena's the one carrying it. Of anyone on the WWE roster, Cena is the one least likely to be booked as a chump while champion.

The real test will be whenever he ultimately drops the strap, who he drops it to and whether or not Vince is invested in the guy and, if so, his ability to remain invested. Vince's attention span is questionable as it can be hard to get a read on him; he may be very much behind someone only to have a completely opposite mind set towards that person a month later. Not every wrestler who becomes champion will be the stuff of legend, Rusev was a definite step in the right direction and maybe Rusev was the beginning of a different strategy in which mid-card titles aren't put onto guys just to carry around for a while before it becomes someone else's turn. Some runs will be more memorable and some champions will be better, but being a champion is supposed to matter and prestige is something Vince has allowed to drift away from mid-card titles overall over the past several years.

Its a bit strange but I think the audience's hatred of Cena instantly nullifies the importance that Rusev's undefeated streak applied to the US title. A championship is only as relevant as its recent and current champion. Cena is supposed to be a babyface and yet he gets very noticeably booed. So the stink of his "failure" to get over as a face, cheapens the belt. It reinforces the original idea that anyone can hold this thing.

At the moment, Cena's accolades don't outweigh how poorly he's being received (for the face of the company).

Its a bit strange but I think the audience's hatred of Cena instantly nullifies the importance that Rusev's undefeated streak applied to the US title. A championship is only as relevant as its recent and current champion. Cena is supposed to be a babyface and yet he gets very noticeably booed. So the stink of his "failure" to get over as a face, cheapens the belt. It reinforces the original idea that anyone can hold this thing.

At the moment, Cena's accolades don't outweigh how poorly he's being received (for the face of the company).

If you look at it though Cena is really hated by the audience, they very much appreciate what he does in the ring. Listen to the boo's for Reigns at the Rumble and Mania, and they don't even compare. Fans boo Cena cause it's what they do. Is the character stale, well yes, but John Cena the person is one of the best attributes the WWE has ever had or ever will have. He will be sorely missed when he does decide to bow out.

As for the topic at hand. He's going a wonderful job of elevating the title. I love the 'open challenge' he's putting out there every week. While he knows who's going to show up, it's always a surprise for us. And Barrett was great the other night, especially when he thanked the crowd but said he hadn't done anything yet.

Losing didn't hurt Rusev either, he's still getting lot's of heel heat and I don't think he should get the title back, he never defended it. Ambrose was the same, but Ambrose was part of the Shield at the time and was more involved in their matches than defending the US title. Not that it's an excuse, but creative didn't have any plans for it obviously.

Cena's doing a fine job, and whoever he drops the belt to will be well on their way.

Classic IWC.....Dude, its been 3 weeks.

He hasn't really done much of anything for the title, as of yet. I also question the wisdom of having him kick out of the entire roster's finisher, week by week. What ever happened to booking someone so they were simply savvy or skilled, and could avoid/reverse someones finish when they attempted it?

Have to see when he moves on from this Rusev angle and see how things go.

The title had more talks about it in 3 weeks then it did when Ambrose. Seriously, Cena defending the strap against midcarders is great. Those midcard straps need to be defended on a regular just to be relevant.

I do miss the days when the midcard champion was next in line for the World Strap, when they finally drop the midcard title. Let's see how this will go for Cena.

I feel like we have a TV champ the way Cena is having his open challenge on every show. I'm beginning to look at the title as being more prestigious with Cena having the belt. I want to compare it to Arn Anderson having the TV Title with the four horseman.

And the matches he's put on since acquiring the belt vs Ambrose, Stardust, Barrett have been excellent. I did wonder if Barrett would win in England, and that match was excellent.

Cena having the title is a good idea. What is happening is not..... This Open Challenge is not going to bring prestige to the title. Yes, it does show that guys want the title, but that is not enough. One off matches when his PPV opponent is already announced means that fans know what will happen right away. The other issue is the choice of opponents. Having anyone and everyone take a shot doesn't make the title credible. No one will buy that Stardust stands a chance. You make a title credible by having people want it, yes, but make them work hard for it, not just walk in.

those who still complaint about cena are no brainers. his open challenge is best for us title. if he had that for three months then he defend the title more than others for past three years. he changed the us champion lost every week. he bring new contenders for every week.

He certainly elevated the US title's prestige whilst elevating his position in the heart of Cena Haters as well. The "Cena Sucks" chants have been reduced considerably over the past few weeks and all the Raw shows been telecasted live on TV so there's no way WWE is suppressing the "Cena Sucks" chants!

As far as the Position of the title is concerned Cena certainly elevated it! His promos every week are about how the US title provides opportunities, And every week a superstar is stepping up to grab his chance to win the US title! What more you could say? He elevated the US title and US title elevated him!

Cheers!!

And this is any different from when he was being booed as the WWEWHC 6 months ago, how? It's not like Cena JUST started getting booed when he won the US strap, it's been going on for over 5 years now... to insinuate that the prestige of the title is weakened because of fans booing Cena is ludicrous at this point. He's John Cena. John Cena holding the belt raises the prestige whether he gets a good reaction or not, simply because he's John Cena.

Not to mention the fact that he has consistently been putting on 3-4 star matches since he won the belt. He has easily been the most consistent wrestler in the ring these past 3 weeks, which is an accomplishment in itself.

To answer OP's question, I think Cena holding the US title definitely raises the prestige of the belt. Really, how can it not when you had guys like Ambrose and Sheamus who never defended the damn thing? We went from that to Rusev's great title reign, now to John Cena. To say the belt hasn't been strengthened even a bit since then, makes no sense to me.

John Cena holding the belt raises the prestige whether he gets a good reaction or not, simply because he's John Cena.

That's true, and it must be remembered that a "good" reaction can often be defined as any reaction. While we talk a lot about dead crowds and performers drawing no attention at all, one has to realize that only good is being done for the prestige of the US title with Cena holding it because he's made it relevant once more. The writers did a fine job coming up with this "open challenge" program because fans sit up and take notice as to who will be walking out to face Cena. Folks complain that "the same guys keep fighting each other" but here's a case in which we have no idea who's coming down the ramp.

Compare this title reign to that of Dean Ambrose. As with everything else that involved the Shield, Dean holding the US belt was a taunt to everyone; he didn't wear it proudly; in fact, he hardly defended it at all. Now, Cena is using the momentum of his US-Russia feud to play up the nationalism aspect .....and whether he's cheered or booed, the fans are making noise......which is what counts.

Having two main eventers holding midcard titles was a good idea.

I think it lessens Cena. The U.S title is like the bronze medal of singles competition in WWE after the WWE championship and the intercontinental championship.

Light some candles chain gang because there's a brown out in cenation tonight.

I like Cena as US Champ ... Not only do I like this run but I also was a fan of his original run as US champion , not only did he defend it then but he defended it against credible opponents , and took it from Big Show ... Who was arguably one of the top heels on smack down at that time , but getting back to topic YES I do feel Cena has elevated the title to a degree beyond what it was over the last 6+ Years , and I see good things coming out of this ... Hopefully

He hasn't really done much of anything for the title, as of yet. I also question the wisdom of having him kick out of the entire roster's finisher, week by week. What ever happened to booking someone so they were simply savvy or skilled, and could avoid/reverse someones finish when they attempted it?

In fairness it seems like the entire roster can also kick out of the AA at least once now too.

I think this'll be a Rhodes situation, same as any other "shiny new champ" period i.e. the title is elevated as long as the booking gives a crap about it. At the moment it does but I think it depends on what happens when Cena drops the belt

John Cena vs Dean Ambrose, John Cena vs Stardust, and John Cena vs Bad News Barrett all had our eyes stapled to the tv screen every passing second with the atmosphere of a Big Fight PPV match in the crowd . They were arguably the Match of the Night for their respective Raws. Not only that, but you have a Super Athlete in Rusev breathing down Cena's neck doing whatever it takes to take the belt back. He hit Cena with a Russian Chain just to grab a hold of the belt one more time for crying out loud!!! John Cena said it best; United States is a land that represent opportunity and the Championship represents the opportunity for an WWE Superstar to make a name for themselves. Cena elevates everything he's associated with and the U.S. Title is no different. United States Championship= Elevated. THE CHAMP IS HEERREE!!!!

original.jpg

( also John Cena is an active legend; he'll never lose his MEGA-Superstar aura)

We will know soon if the US Belt is elevated. I think it's too early to know now. I don't care what happens on Raw week to week. Where both the I/C and US belts seemed lessened was the fact that they were either relegated to PPV pre show or the holders were in tag or other matches. Russev was a good start because most of the time he was defending the belt in a PPV. We'll see if Cena keeps this up. Cena will never be relegated to pre show status. So for awhile it will be a big deal.

The question is what happens after Cena drops the belt (to someone other than Russev). At that point will the belt continue to be a big deal, or will it go back to being the pre show warm up?

Both.

He feels less important, lower down the card. Yet the title feels elevated.

A simpleton response, I know.

The title has definitely been elevated. How much? Remains to be seen, but they're on the right track.

Is Cena less important? No. Is he lower down the card? Sure, but that's the nature of the business. Cena's as important as ever unfortunately, because there's no one to take his place in that spot. Who's his heir apparent? Reigns? LMAO.

It definitely hasn't lessened Cena. He's still the man. Has he elevated the US Title? It's a work in progress. But the US Title open challenges have become the best part of Raw, since Daniel Bryan isn't wrestling much. So it's a good start so far.

I see it as more of a bringing the title to where it should be, as opposed to elevating it above its true standard. Titles should mean something, you should always want to be a champion. Being champion should come with kayfabe perks such as pay bonuses, higher pay, respect, and better travel. Flair always sold being champion so well, even when he went into the US title division after years of being World Champion.

Owens is doing it right in NXT, bringing the fact that being champion provides for his family into his promos and storyline. When Triple H won the IC title after WrestleMania 17, his character acted like holding the title was a step up, and it should be.

Ambrose going months without defending the US title was crap. Barrett as IC champ or Cesaro as US champ jobbing to the stars was garbage. Punk not asking for the IC title be on the line when he fought Axel was bullsh*t. JBL not demanding that Cena put the US title on the line at WrestleMania 21 was dumb. Every title should have a challenger and being the champion should mean something.

Cena is slumming it, and the US title isn't being re-purposed as a main event title. Cena is doing exactly what he should be, after failing to capture the World title, he has positioned himself as the number one contender in the mid-card division. He's now captured that title, and is reaping the rewards that go along with it.

I like Cena in the US scene, but he needs to chase the title sooner than later. Hopefully he and Rusev have a long feud a Rusev gets some wins in over Cena. Wouldn't mind seeing them trade the title at least once though the spring and early summer.

Cena has elevated the title. Cena can't be lessened. He has been booked so strong for so long, he will always be a top guy. He's still getting the same promo time and match time. And he's putting on great matches every week for the US title. It wasn't long ago where the belt wasn't even defended on a monthly basis. He has definitely elevated it.

I kind of feel like that WWE wanted to revitalize the title and gave it to Cena to pave the way for Randy Orton and Roman Reigns. I mean honestly the issue is that there are not enough competitors within the WWE to make the US Title worth much of anything.

It's too early to tell the impact of Cena's reign. So far, so good with the US title being consistently defended, getting the exposure needed for the title unlike how they did previous champs like Ambrose and Sheamus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back