Happy birthday Nintendo

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
23rd September 1889, that was the date the Nintendo Japanese website used to have for the founding date but now they just state 1889. The ever reliably unreliable Wikipedia also states this date so make no doubt about it today is Nintendo’s birthday. At 122 years old the company has really took the world by storm starting from a family owned playing company and continuing the global gaming giants it is today.

768px-nintendo_former_headquarter_plate_kyoto.jpg

I don’t need to mention the impact it’s had or its fantastic franchises or the great staff from the Yamauchi’s to Miyamoto to Itwata to the masterful Yokoi or even Reggie. I don’t need to pay tribute to this great company and how many hours/days/weeks/months/years of enjoyment it has brought me as a child, teenager and now as an adult.

Nope I’ll just go for the very “Happy Birthday Nintendo,” here’s to 122 more great years.

Feel free to share your Nintendo memories or just pay tribute.

originally posted at www.nintendolee.com

Happy Birthday, Big N. Of course, I'm not going to have a proper celebration/tribute until Skyward Sword, but this will do till then.

Can't really put into words how grateful I am for the many hours of awesome entertainment Nintendo has brought to our lives. And it sickens me that modern gamers don't appreciate everything Nintendo has done and continues to do to the industry. If it wasn't for the NES, the idiotic modern gamers wouldn't have all their crappy FPS games. But hey, their loss!

I've been a Nintendo fan since I was 4 and while I may not be the huge Nintendo fanboy I once was (mostly because of Bioware....) I still love their work and I'll be a fan till either they die or I die.

Reactions: Lee
Well said, Blade.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool Nintendo fanboy. They have the best franchises (Mario, Zelda), the best characters (Super Smash Bros.), and the best magazines (N64/NGC/N-Gamer will always be absolute tops, just hilarious). Their systems always have quality games and are bold and different in ways that could flop or fly, and thankfully mostly fly. They are a bold and innovative company and get far too much hate by the modern gamer who'd rather buy the next big brown FPS or sports game instead of something interesting and different.

I wouldn't be a gamer if it wasn't for Nintendo. The Game Boy and Kirby's Block Ball were my first experiences in playing a game and I was hooked. Hell, my mother once told me that when I was in utero she'd play Tetris on my brother's Game Boy and I'd kick to the beat of the music. I sunk countless hours into Kirby, Mario Land 2, and Mario&Yoshi. It was my introduction to fighters with Killer Instinct, to puzzlers with Tetris and Mario&Yoshi, and to platformers with countless games. It gave me the Game Boy Camera, a novelty I had so much fun with, and it even introduced me to the brilliant underworld of video game glitches with Missingno and Wario Land's hidden minus worlds. If it wasn't for the Game Boy, I would not be a gamer.

Just as crucial to my evolution as a video game player was the Nintendo 64. When we got a Nintendo 64 I was too young to truly appreciate the jump from 2D to 3D, but I still had so much fun with some of the greatest games of all time. 3D impressed me greatly; I used to be content letting Mario walk around in this big world, not caring whether I got the star or not. I became an adventurer, someone who liked to explore every nook and cranny of a game and talk to everyone I could find. The N64 was filled with countless games that shaped me and turned me into what I am today, including my favorite game of all time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

That game made me aware of the concept that everywhere, at all times, something is happening. Everyone has their own stories and we will never be able to help everyone. It's a fascinating subject wrapped up in a brilliant video game. Majora's Mask could not have been a book. It could not have been a movie. It was the game that introduced me to the concept of games as a unique storytelling medium, one that had its own set of pros and cons. The interactiveness of the medium is why I always preferred it to TV or movies. It was an adventure that I could shape, that I could have fun with. It was unlike anything else I had ever experienced, and it still floors me to this day with how brilliantly inventive and well-executed it is.

As I grew up I continued to support the Big N. With the Gamecube came Mario Sunshine, and with Mario Sunshine came eye-popping graphics and unique gameplay that left me floored. Xbox players could keep their futuristic shooters, because all I wanted to do is explore Bianca Hills on my water-powered jetpack. While the Gamecube wasn't as huge a step forward for the gaming world as the N64 was, I still have many a fond memory playing such brilliant games as Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, and Chibi Robo.

Nowadays, I play the Wii. The system's hackability combined with a large library of great games on its own has made it my top system of this generation. It was on this system that I legally played my first M-rated game. Now, I had played Conker's Bad Fur Day (brilliant game by the way) and Mortal Kombat 4 on the N64, but I had always done it in secret, at a friend's house, because my parents didn't like me playing M-rated games or watching R-rated movies. Well, that changed once I turned 17. And I took advantage of this, because for my birthday I got a copy of 300 on Blu Ray...and No More Heroes for the Wii.

No More Heroes is a brilliantly funny, brilliantly violent game for the Wii that is being remade for PS3. The Wii version made excellent use of the motion controls and Wiimote - probably the best use of it I've seen in a game so far. It was clever, funny, and ridiculously violent. It was raunchy, immature, and also had one of the most surprising story twists in a game I've played. I couldn't have picked a better first M-Rated game to legally play. As a stupid teenager, I needed a stupid teenage game to play, and No More Heroes delivered.

I mentioned the hackability of the Wii being a reason I've gotten so much life out of it. Because of my installation of the Homebrew Channel and the system's Virtual Console feature, I can revisit games of my youth, and visit the games I never played, all while using gaming's best controller (The Wavebird). It's made emulation so much easier than using a computer to play, since all games are emulated fairly perfectly and I'm playing them on a system designed for games with a controller designed to play games. I love the Wii.

I have a million more stories about Nintendo and video games and how they shaped my life and perception. I will forever support Nintendo because of their influence on me, and nothing can change that. In my mind, they're the tops, and will forever be the tops. Here's to another 122 years of innovation and fun!

I think I've loved Nintendo for almost my entire life now. My first memory of any kind was of playing Duck Hunt for the NES. I remember the first time feeling truly fascinated by a game watching a friend play Super Mario World. I remember the incredible joy of running around as Mario in 3d for the first time. I remember how I had always wanted a Gamecube but never got one. And more recently, I remember feeling that spark for games again playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the first time.

I truly love Nintendo, and I suspect I always will. Not only are they easily the best first-party developer in the history of gaming, but they have the ability to capture anyone's imagination with any game they decide to make. The N64 is stil my favorite console, and I'm seriously considering if SMG2 is the most fun I've ever had with a controller in my hands. I love Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, and probably some others I'm forgetting right now. Thank you Nintendo, you are the best.

Aw damn, I missed this! Happy belated birthday, Nintendo! I can't even describe how Nintendo has had such a profound impact on my life. I actually truly believe that if it had not been for Nintendo, I wouldn't have the interests that I do today. If it wasn't for Nintendo, I wouldn't be the gamer I am today. I remember the very first video game I had ever played: Pokemon Red Version on my old Game Boy Pocket. The endless hours spent playing that game, playing it on my commute to school, and playing it off in a corner at school because we weren't allowed to bring electronics. Fast forward 10+ years later, my love for Pokemon has not died but has gotten stronger.

I remember the first 3-D game I played on the Nintendo 64: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I spent hours racking my brain trying to figure out the dungeons and collecting all the masks. I have to say that as strange as it might sound, Majora's Mask taught me the importance of time management (after all, you never know when the moon will come crashing down on us! ;) ) and really set the bar for what I expect from video games in the future in terms of overall quality and replay value.

I remember years later when I got a Gamecube for Christmas. I remember spending the rest of my Christmas vacation switching back and forth between Super Smash Bros Melee and Super Mario Sunshine with their colorful graphics and just awesome gameplay. Then some time later came the releases of the first 3-D Pokemon games I've played since the Nintendo 64's Pokemon Stadium in Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness which helped reignite my love for Pokemon.

I'll admit that I eventually put my Gamecube aside for my PS2 (which I still play today) but I also eventually came back to my Gamecube to relive my childhood as well as my Game Boy Advance to replay and beat Pokemon Ruby, Emerald, and LeafGreen. My friend also gave me his DS and Pokemon HeartGold during my high school senior year, giving me a renewed interest in Pokemon for the first time since Colosseum and Gale of Darkness were released for the Gamecube a few years prior.

So needless to say, I truly love Nintendo. It's stood the test of time and has, in my opinion, only improved as time has gone on. Here's to 122 more years, and hell, even beyond that.

Not to sour the mood, but I didnt notice until recently what a bad year this was for the Wii. I know they are beginning the transition to the next console, but they absolutely did nothing this year. I mean, I have never really thought much of the system but last year they put out some strong efforts in games like SMG2, DKCR, Kirby, Metroid, but this year nothing. I'm sorry transition or not that's unacceptable, even the Gamecube and N64 put out some good or atleast decent games there last year on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back