• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GSP Injured, Penn vs. Diaz new UFC 137 Main Event

CapnKabuki

Are you cool with the staples?
Why I'm always the one who breaks this type of news is beyond me, but oh well, I enjoy it. Anyway,
Returning UFC welterweight contender Nick Diaz will get his UFC 137 main event after all, as UFC President Dana White announced via twitter Tuesday afternoon that 170-pound champion Georges St-Pierre has been forced to withdraw from his October 29th title defense against Carlos Condit due to a knee injury.

Diaz, who was originally scheduled to face GSP in the UFC 137 main event before being pulled from the bout due to two press conference no shows, will now see his three-round bout with BJ Penn elevated to the main event a week from Saturday.

"We will sit Carlos to wait for GSP," wrote White. "It's looking so far like he could be ready in a couple months."
Source: http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-137-fight-card-updates?main

Dana White (@danawhite): I just land in NYC and what do I always say!? I have to deal with bad shit everyday!! GSP is out with an injury!!! #oneofthosedays
It's GSP'S knee. We will sit Carlos to wait for GSP. It's looking so far like he could be ready in a couple months. Still early to tell tho

Well this might just take the cake away from UFC 130 for "Most Fucked Up Card of the Year." So, let's get this straight; Originally, it was GSP vs. Nick Diaz. Diaz disappears, gets pulled out of the fight and is replaced with Condit, who was taken out of his fight with BJ Penn. Diaz is then called into replace Condit against Penn. Now, GSP vs. Condit is off, Penn vs. Diaz is replacing it, and Condit is gonna wait for GSP to come back. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt. But this is a HUGE blow to this card, no matter anyone's opinion on GSP. Granted, the BJ vs. Diaz fight is and always was going to probably be bonkers, but still.

Thoughts on this clusterfuck that is UFC 137?

This one does without a doubt score the most fucked card of the year, sure it's still a great card but it has been so screwed up and mangled that it's not going to be as much fun to watch, I mean we lost another damn title match. Penn-Diaz is without a doubt a suitable main event fight, but when it's replacing a title fight between GSP and Condit it kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I'm gonna be watching 137 and during Penn-Diaz I'm going to be saying to my friends and myself, "If GSP didn't get injured we'd be watching another great fight after this, and not just a great fight but a title fight". Looking at it from that perspective it's a bit of a letdown, I'm extremely pissed that after all the juggling of the challenger and then GSP's injury but it's still a great card and compared to 130 the replacement main event is much better looking so it's still going to be a good night but it's gonna be hard waiting for GSP to heal and fight Condit.

I do think that having Condit wait for GSP is a good idea, I think he earned it and I would hate to see him get screwed out of his shot. I still think Nick's position sucks but hopefully he puts on a great performance against BJ and gets the shot after Carlos and GSP finally fight.

Karma, anyone? ;)

Nah, it's an unfortunate situation, but BJ vs. Diaz in my book was already the true main event, so this won't keep me from ordering the show. That fight is going to be fucking nuts, especially now that it may get 5 Rounds.

As far as GSP... I mean, the UFC asked for this by only having the guy fight only twice a year. GSP should have a Jon Jones like schedule, but instead he fights 2 times a year, which twice now has ended up with him only fighting once a year. That's fucking pathetic.

And Condit... I heard Kos offered to fight him, but Condit and the UFC opted to shelf Condit until GSP is ready. Horrible decision, in my opinion. First of all, Condit didn't deserve a shot against GSP to begin with, so a win over Koscheck would at least gave him an EARNED Title shot. Secondly, Diaz now gets screwed because if he beats BJ, then he has to sit and wait for Condit vs. GSP to be over until he gets a shot, and that could end up taking a LOT of time since there's no telling what will happen in the Condit/GSP fight.

It's all just a huge mess, but at least we have warriors like Nick Diaz and BJ Penn keeping this sport from being a total clusterfuck.

Why is GSP so loved!! I mean really come on yes hes a beast the most dominiant WW champ of all time!! Even more so than matt hughes!! But i could totally see GSP wilt in a fight if its not going his way!!! He could crumble that i can totally see happening!! Cant say the same for anderson he proved otherwise never gave up never quit and submitted Chael!! GSP on the other hand hasnt been pressured or tested and quite frankly hasnt been the same since Matt Serra KO'd him!! If the fight or training isnt going absoutely perfect for GSP he finds a way out!! Anderson had cracked ribs and still fought a roided out chael sonnen!! GSP in my opinion lost alot of respect in my eyes!! I know im in the minority on this one cuz everyone hugs on GSP nuts!! But every dog has his day even my boy Anderson will lose one day!! Wont be to Chael though even if he does so what!!

But i could totally see GSP wilt in a fight if its not going his way!!! He could crumble that i can totally see happening!!

He severely injured his groin early in his fight against Thiago Alves and still managed to outclass and dominate one of the strongest men in the division. He also was blind in one eye against Shields and still won easily, but yea. He wilts and everything.

If the fight or training isnt going absoutely perfect for GSP he finds a way out!! Anderson had cracked ribs and still fought a roided out chael sonnen!! GSP in my opinion lost alot of respect in my eyes!! I know im in the minority on this one cuz everyone hugs on GSP nuts!! But every dog has his day even my boy Anderson will lose one day!! Wont be to Chael though even if he does so what!!

Yea, totally. Knee injuries aren't even that bad. Anybody can fight through them. I mean, everybody should fight while not at 100% when defending their title. Only *****es complain because they would like to keep their knees in tact so they can have a longer career. Fuck GSP and his self perserving attitude.

Well, to be fair Fizzy, Shogun pretty much had the exact same injury GSP has when he went into the 2nd Machida fight, only his was worse since it ended up requiring surgery. So, I understand anyone who wants to criticize GSP, though I myself don't personally agree with that since GSP's the champion. Had he been the challenger though, I might side with Pedigree.

And Pedigree, to reply to your question that you repped me with, where did I say Condit should take the fight with Koscheck? I said the UFC should FORCE him to fight, so he could then show whether or not he deserves a title shot, which he hasn't yet.

Sucks that this injury happened so close to the fight happening, but it'll give Condit more time to fully prepare for his title fight with GSP. But, at least we have an exciting fight to make up for it. It would be great if Diaz/Penn was a 5 rounded though, because right now I think Penn might win the 3 round decision. Diaz isn't a slow starter, but I think a 5 round fight would better benefit him in what will surely be a fight that goes the distance. Diaz has terrific conditioning, and no matter how many times people tell me Penn does, I don't buy it. Penn can go 5 rounds but he slows down after the third, like all fighters do. I think Diaz would be able to better work his game in the later round, then Penn. Can't wait to see this fight happen though.

Jmt, spare me the "Diaz got screwed" banter. That little piece of garbage brought it on himself. If he wasn't so busy being an unprofessional prick and no-showing press conferences, he'd have been in that title match, and he'd be the one given more time to prepare. He brought this on himself.

And saying Condit doesn't deserve a title shot? Who does? Diaz? The co*ksuc*er hasn't fought in the UFC since 2006. Condit is 4-1 in the UFC, with his only loss being a controversial split decision loss to Kampmann. He's beaten Ellenberger, my boy Rory MacDonald, Dan Hardy, and Kim. 4 players in the division.

I say take Diaz out entirely and have Condit fight Penn for the next title shot.

(for those of you new to this, JMT is vastly aware of the hatred I possess for all things Diaz Brothers.)

Jmt, spare me the "Diaz got screwed" banter. That little piece of garbage brought it on himself. If he wasn't so busy being an unprofessional prick and no-showing press conferences, he'd have been in that title match, and he'd be the one given more time to prepare. He brought this on himself.

So it's Diaz's fault GSP got injured? Whether or not Diaz shows up to those press conferences or not, his fight with GSP gets canceled regardless. In fact, I'd say Diaz missing the press conferences helped UFC 137 WAY more than it hurt it. First of all, it made people actually talk about the press conferences, which they wouldn't have if he showed up and gave a bunch of generic answers like we would have heard over and over again this past week leading up to the fight. And now, we have a great main event in Diaz vs. BJ, which I guarantee interests more people than BJ vs. Condit would have.

And saying Condit doesn't deserve a title shot? Who does? Diaz? The co*ksuc*er hasn't fought in the UFC since 2006.

You do realize that there is legitimate competition outside of the UFC, yes?

The fact of the matter is, Nick Diaz is 15-1 in his last 16 fights, with that one loss being a cut stoppage and something he would avenge later on. Not to mention that Diaz left the UFC on a 2 fight win streak, and that his overall record in the company is 6-4, and he was able to acquire that record between the ages of 20-23, and that all his losses with the exception of Diego Sanchez were highly controversial and could have been scored the other way.

Condit is 4-1 in the UFC, with his only loss being a controversial split decision loss to Kampmann. He's beaten Ellenberger, my boy Rory MacDonald, Dan Hardy, and Kim. 4 players in the division.

Did you watch those five fights, IC? He clearly lost to Kampmann who is currently on a 2 fight losing streak, the decision over Ellenberger was controversial, he was getting his fucking ass handed to him by Rory MacDonald before scoring a LUCKY KO, Dan Hardy has lost his last 4 fights, and Kim Dong-hyun doesn't have one win over a top 10 opponent. In fact, Kim's biggest win is a close decision victory over a Lightweight.

So, how does that scream title shot, exactly? If Condit had beaten Penn, then he would have deserved a title shot at the winner of Diaz/GSP, but his shot now is premature. That's simply a fact.

I say take Diaz out entirely and have Condit fight Penn for the next title shot.

The fight is two days away... how could they change it now? lol

I'm semi-retired. I don't have the energy for quotes. So:

1. Diaz got dropped from the fight before GSP got hurt, so your entire first statement is illogical to those of us who do not, in fact, believe in time travel.

2. You're right, Diaz missing the presses did help UFC 137, because douchebags attract fight fans.

3. Yes, there is legit competition outside the UFC, but since the UFC is generally regarded as the biggest and best promotion, I don't think that a guy who hasn't fought in the UFC in years should just be given a title match. At least let him fight another contender for the next shot first.

4. I probably watched about half those fights. Remember none of them. Looked them up online. Facts don't have to be original to be facts.

5. I'm not saying Condit deserved a shot either, but in a division where the champion has demolished everyone else, if the choices are Condit or Diaz, I'd vote Condit.

6. It's never too late to change a fight to harm a Diaz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back