• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gregg Araki Films (Get in here and talk with me about indie film sleaze JMT & TDigs)

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
So for some reason or another, I've been binging on this man's work the last few days. I had only seen Nowhere by him before, but this week I've managed to watch Totally Fucked Up, The Doom Generation, Kaboom, Smiley Face, and I'm about to check out The Living End. So far I've loved every one of the films I've seen, aside from Smiley Face. That film had a few good ideas but totally sucked in execution and Anna Faris's character was atrocious in every way. Everything else rules though. I really, really fuckin' loved Kaboom and highly recommend it to anyone into crazy films and whatnot. I love how Araki uses James Duval (who I swear to God could be Keanu Reeves identical twin) in every movie and the way he used this Thomas Dekker kid in his new film (Kaboom) makes me think he's going to start using Dekker as his "new" Duval like character, ie a muse for him to put into almost every film.

No idea what the fuck I'm talking about? Probably not, I imagine only JMT and TDigs will know what I'm talking about, but have at it. Anyone else a fan of Gregg Araki's work? I've been rewatching alot of the seminal 90s indie flicks and man, that was such a great time for film. Indie filmmaking in the 90s was awesome.

Dig the sig.

I loved Mysterious Skin.

I hated Smiley Face.

I still need to watch Nowhere.

And I have no interests in seeing his other films.

Also, Tdigs hates most American indie films, so I doubt he's a big fan of Araki (though I'm pretty sure he liked Mysterious Skin).

Really? For some reason I have this distinct memory of TDigs being a fan of Araki's work and perhaps even arguing with me about it at some point. Maybe I just made it all up, who knows.

Why no interest in seeing his other films JMT? Nowhere and Kaboom are two by him you should check out. I'd also recommend Totally Fucked Up. Shit, the whole "teenage apocalypse" trilogy is great in it's own ways.

It's weird because originally I liked Araki's work but thought he was a bit of a hack....and now as I watch more and more of his stuff, I'm really starting to appreciate his talent and shit. His work is like....gay Quentin Tarantino meets Bret Easton Ellis on ecstasy.

Mysterious Skin is downloading right now. I'm sure I'll love it, it has motherfucking Joseph Gordon Levitt in it.

Really? For some reason I have this distinct memory of TDigs being a fan of Araki's work and perhaps even arguing with me about it at some point. Maybe I just made it all up, who knows.

I could be wrong, but I just know Tdigs hates most American indie films.

Why no interest in seeing his other films JMT?

I've wanted to see Nowhere for a couple of years now, but without a DVD release it's been tough. It comes on IFC every now and then, but it seems like every time it's on it's at an inconvenient time (I don't have a Tivo or anything like that).

As far as his other films... just don't look like my cup of tea. I thought about seeing Kaboom, but the description I read for it just didn't interest me. And all his other films look the exact same to me... gay this, gay that. Smiley Face was the only time he ventured into something different, and that movie fucking sucked IMO, but still... I wish he'd try to tackle some other subjects outside of sex and homosexuality.

His work is like....gay Quentin Tarantino meets Bret Easton Ellis on ecstasy.

Lol... that's quite the description.

Speaking of Bret Easton Ellis, James Van Der Beek recently said in an interview that Ellis is writing a script for Roger Avery to direct and for Van Der Beek to star in and that "it’s definitely in Bret’s wheelhouse. It’s very modern, it’s very dark, very sick, and very funny." So I'm really pumped for that to come to fruition, as I thought you would be as well.

I could be wrong, but I just know Tdigs hate most American indie films.

Probably, but I thought I remembered him being a fan of Araki.

I've wanted to see Nowhere for a couple of years now, but without a DVD release it's been tough. It comes on IFC every now and then, but it seems like every time it's on it's at an inconvenient time (I don't have a Tivo or anything like that).

It's well worth watching. Probably the best of his little "teenage apocalypse" trilogy.

As far as his other films... just don't look like my cup of tea. I thought about seeing Kaboom, but the description I read for it just didn't interest me. And all his other films look the exact same to me... gay this, gay that. Smiley Face was the only time he ventured into something different, and that movie fucking sucked IMO, but still... I wish he'd try to tackle some other subjects outside of sex and homosexuality.

Well yeah most of his films involve a lot of gay themes and whatnot since he helped start that whole New Queer Cinema movement in the 90s, but the way he makes his films reminds me alot of the way Bret Easton Ellis writes man, it has that same kind of really dark humor, the same debauchery-loving characters, and even sometimes a hint of the supernatural like Bret. I honestly think you'd probably like the films I suggested before knowing that you're a fan of BEE and The Rules of Attraction. Kaboom is very similar to The Rules of Attraction, but much more outrageous and sleazy.

Speaking of Bret Easton Ellis, James Van Der Beek recently said in an interview that Ellis is writing a script for Roger Avery to direct and for Van Der Beek to star in and that ""it’s definitely in Bret’s wheelhouse. It’s very modern, it’s very dark, very sick, and very funny." So I'm really pumped for that to come to fruition, as I thought you would be as well.

I seriously just dropped a fuckin load in my pants if this is a reality JMT. I would fucking LOVE to see those three team up again, because The Rules of Attraction shall always remain one of my most beloved films forever. The book as well.

That sounds so awesome. FUCK I WANT TO SEE IT RIGHT NOW! Van Der Beek needs to get more work man, what's up with him never being in films anymore?

Well yeah most of his films involve a lot of gay themes and whatnot since he helped start that whole New Queer Cinema movement in the 90s, but the way he makes his films reminds me alot of the way Bret Easton Ellis writes man, it has that same kind of really dark humor, the same debauchery-loving characters, and even sometimes a hint of the supernatural like Bret. I honestly think you'd probably like the films I suggested before knowing that you're a fan of BEE and The Rules of Attraction. Kaboom is very similar to The Rules of Attraction, but much more outrageous and sleazy.

Alright man, for you... I'll give Kaboom a shot. I'll bump this thread or your official thread sometime next week letting you know what I think. :)

I seriously just dropped a fuckin load in my pants if this is a reality JMT. I would fucking LOVE to see those three team up again, because The Rules of Attraction shall always remain one of my most beloved films forever. The book as well.

That sounds so awesome. FUCK I WANT TO SEE IT RIGHT NOW!

I know, right? If Glamorama can't get made, then I'll settle for this for sure. I absolutely cannot wait.

And TROA is a top 5 favorite film of mine as well and will always remain so.

Van Der Beek needs to get more work man, what's up with him never being in films anymore?

In that same interview I quoted before they asked him about that and he said he turned down a bunch of roles after he finished Dawson's Creek because he wanted to take a break for a while and that his career hasn't rebounded yet because of it, but he seemed pretty content about it all. The interviewer asked what roles he turned down, and the only ones he was willing to say was the lead in The Amityville Horror remake (Ryan Reynolds of course ended up with that one), and Bradley Cooper's role in Wedding Crashers (which he says he deeply regrets turning down).

Alright man, for you... I'll give Kaboom a shot. I'll bump this thread or your official thread sometime next week letting you know what I think. :)

Hooray! I got JMT to watch a moviefilm! I eagerly await to hear your thoughts.

I've been peeing your "Last 5 films watched" a lot lately, just finished downloading The Boys Next Door because of your sig. That looks good.

I know, right? If Glamorama can't get made, then I'll settle for this for sure. I absolutely cannot wait.

And TROA is a top 5 favorite film of mine as well and will always remain so.

[2]

In that same interview I quoted before they asked him about that and he said he turned down a bunch of roles after he finished Dawson's Creek because he wanted to take a break for a while and that his career hasn't rebounded yet because of it, but he seemed pretty content about it all. The interviewer asked what roles he turned down, and the only ones he was willing to say was the lead in The Amityville Horror remake (Ryan Reynolds of course ended up with that one), and Bradley Cooper's role in Wedding Crashers (which he says he deeply regrets turning down).

Damn that would be just weird thinking of Van Der Beek taking Cooper's role. That would have done wonders for his career though, that's a shame. I haven't seen him in like...anything in forever. I don't care what he does, I just want to see him do some acting again. Dude's awesome when he wants to be.

Anyways, on the subject of film and whatnot, seen any good ones lately? Any recent films you've seen been racking around your brain, haunting your steps, piercing your soul, etc? I need suggestions!

You're going to love The Boys Next Door, I'm sure of it.

Anyways, on the subject of film and whatnot, seen any good ones lately? Any recent films you've seen been racking around your brain, haunting your steps, piercing your soul, etc? I need suggestions!

Well, as you can see... 13 Assassins in my sig got 5/5, so that's a very good movie in my eyes, though I'm not positive it's your cup of tea. It depends if you like movies like Seven Samurai or even The Last Samurai.

There's a great South Korean movie I know for a fact you'd absolutely fucking LOVE called I Saw the Devil. It's a very, very brutal revenge flick. Whenever you're in a gore, evil like mood check that bad boy out.

If you're in a completely different mood one day and just feel like watching a peaceful film with a nice message, then check out One Week in my sig. It's a beautiful Canadian flick about a man who finds out he has terminal cancer and decides to go on a road trip for a few days to figure out his life. It stars Joshua Jackson.

And on deck I have a few Japanese movies I need to check out: Departures, The Hidden Blade, Twilight Samurai, and Love and Honor. All look right up my alley. I also should be checking out Neo Ned and The United States of Leland soon as well. But, all of that might get put on halt if I end up digging Six Feet Under, which I plan on buying the first season on Friday. Looks like a great fucking show.

Nowhere is one where the alien climbs out of the guys chest at the end, correct?

Greg Araki rules and he's only gotten better as a filmmaker. I didn't care for The Doom Generation but I thought Mysterious Skin was one of the best films to come out in the 00s. I was also a fan of Kaboom, but I can't tell you if this is because of Araki's merits as a filmmaker or because of how drop dead gorgeous Roxane Mesquida is.

You're going to love The Boys Next Door, I'm sure of it.

I ended up not watching it last night, and instead I'm actually watching it right now as I type this. I'm about 20 minutes into it and I like it already. I love most of Glen Morgan and James Wong's work though.

Well, as you can see... 13 Assassins in my sig got 5/5, so that's a very good movie in my eyes, though I'm not positive it's your cup of tea. It depends if you like movies like Seven Samurai or even The Last Samurai.

Never seen The Last Samurai actually, but I love the Seven Samurai, one of Kurosawa's best. I'm more of a Rashomon man though. I'll look into 13 Assassins.

There's a great South Korean movie I know for a fact you'd absolutely fucking LOVE called I Saw the Devil. It's a very, very brutal revenge flick. Whenever you're in a gore, evil like mood check that bad boy out.

Man I've had that on my "To Watch" list for months and months after I read a glowing review of it on Bloody-Disgusting. The director is extremely talented, so it's only a matter of time until I actually watch that one. Looks great.

If you're in a completely different mood one day and just feel like watching a peaceful film with a nice message, then check out One Week in my sig. It's a beautiful Canadian flick about a man who finds out he has terminal cancer and decides to go on a road trip for a few days to figure out his life. It stars Joshua Jackson.

Funny you mentioned that, because I actually saw this same flick on my TV guide appearing on the Sundance channel this week and I set it up to record on my DVR. I'll check it out eventually.

And on deck I have a few Japanese movies I need to check out: Departures, The Hidden Blade, Twilight Samurai, and Love and Honor. All look right up my alley. I also should be checking out Neo Ned and The United States of Leland soon as well. But, all of that might get put on halt if I end up digging Six Feet Under, which I plan on buying the first season on Friday. Looks like a great fucking show.

I've seen bits and pieces of The United States of Leland and it seemed pretty good. Six Feet Under is another show that's on my "to watch" list along with plenty of other stuff. I guess I should really get cracking on that list.

Whats the one that ends with the yes/no gay rape? Yeah, thats my fave.

I'm not sure what movie you're talking about here.

Nowhere is one where the alien climbs out of the guys chest at the end, correct?

Indeed. That's an excellent, excellent film and a very good introductory film into Araki's work. It was the first film of his that I saw and what led me to seek out others.

Greg Araki rules and he's only gotten better as a filmmaker. I didn't care for The Doom Generation but I thought Mysterious Skin was one of the best films to come out in the 00s. I was also a fan of Kaboom, but I can't tell you if this is because of Araki's merits as a filmmaker or because of how drop dead gorgeous Roxane Mesquida is.

Kaboom was just so outrageously fun and the ending was awesome. I thought The Doom Generation was probably one of his weaker films, but it was still good. Totally Fucked Up was excellent, Nowhere is excellent, and I've still got a few more of his flicks left on tap to watch. Splendor and The Living End mainly. I watched Mysterious Skin earlier tonight and loved it too, but it's a very different film for Araki. Different, but totally fitting.

epic late night bumpage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back