• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Green Day's Legacy

TwistofRKO

The Legend Killer himself
They seem to be a love them or hate them group, but regardless of which side you take, everyone knows they've been extremely successful. In a pop-dominated era, they've injected rock and pop-punk into the bloodstream, pretty much the only band to do so recently. They have won 3 Grammys for best album (Best Alt- Dookie, Best Rock- American Idiot & 21st Century Breakdown) and record of the year for Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

They might just look like a bunch of jackoffs, but they write some high quality stuff. Musically they aren't geniuses, but they are solid enough, but the lyrics are very well written. American Idiot has some of the best stuff on it, as did Dookie, one of the best records ever assembled. They've even charted with a song under their semi-joking band The Network. They're one of the best bands covering songs and re-popularizing them, and they've sold over 70 million records. American Idiot has been made into a Broadway production, and Tom Hanks even wants to produce a movie with the story.

With all this said, where does Green Day's legacy stand?

Green Day will definitely be remembered. They left an impact on the music industry. That's undeniable.

However, I don't think they'll go down as one of the greatest bands of all time. Their first couple of albums were fantastic, and then of course they went mainstream with their music. Now, while their mainstream stuff wasn't absolute garbage, it still doesn't measure up to their early work. But what it did do was broaden their audience, and give them a HUGE fan base. So, while "hardcore" fans became turned off from their music, regardless Green Day started actually selling records to the point where they became one of the most popular bands around. And personally... I think that's a great run to have. First few albums.. nothing but praise and a small, loyal fanbase, and then go on to sell millions of records and become one of the most popular bands in America. Also, going mainstream and garnering that attention got them Grammys and other awards they would have never been able to get without going mainstream.

So, yeah... they're not at a legendary status just yet, but it might come to past depending how their next few records go.

Its a hard argument though, I think, because they were never in a rock era. Sure, I love A7X and Slipknot, but they haven't been able to cross the barrier yet, mainly due to genre, but to me that makes it more impressive for Green Day, because they've stood out to such a large crowd. So I agree, going mainstream should be a positive, because they've pretty much dominated since the move, and have put some of the best stuff out there.

Green Day will definitely be remembered. They left an impact on the music industry. That's undeniable.

However, I don't think they'll go down as one of the greatest bands of all time. Their first couple of albums were fantastic, and then of course they went mainstream with their music. Now, while their mainstream stuff wasn't absolute garbage, it still doesn't measure up to their early work. But what it did do was broaden their audience, and give them a HUGE fan base. So, while "hardcore" fans became turned off from their music, regardless Green Day started actually selling records to the point where they became one of the most popular bands around. And personally... I think that's a great run to have. First few albums.. nothing but praise and a small, loyal fanbase, and then go on to sell millions of records and become one of the most popular bands in America. Also, going mainstream and garnering that attention got them Grammys and other awards they would have never been able to get without going mainstream.

So, yeah... they're not at a legendary status just yet, but it might come to past depending how their next few records go.

You have some serious valid points, but I have to disagree. Personally I am a Green Day hater. I liked it when they did "when I come around", "minority" etc. But American Idiot...:disappointed: I just couldn't believe that they had this look. I mean, they sould out, thank god not through music, but through their look. Of course that's for debate. But IMO, winning Grammy's is...yeah nothing. There are LEGENDARY bands out there that never got a Grammy. I mean, a Grammy is a popularity contest, nothing more...:shrug:

IMO they are completely overrated, they haven't done anything to revolutionise the industry or punk rock...WAIT! yeah they sold out for fucking teenagers. They are like the biggest crowd in the U.S "therefore" they are the biggest band on the planet. I mean how hard is to like a fucking teenager, seriously? If people can say that Blink is a "huge" band why can't be the same with Green Day?I respect their previous work, they just capitalize on the right moment, when there wasn't any mainstream punk rock band. But besides that, they adopted a look that teenagers can relate to... But I have to give them some credit, because if it was only by teenagers they wouldn't lasted since 2004.
Oh and btw about the Broadway thing....:shrug: I insist,for me it isn't an acomplishment not everyone wants or think that going to Broadway is the best thnig to ever happend. The Who, Queen have their rock operas but people don't make such a huge deal about. It's about the music not the charts... I don't think that Green Day is on the status that in the next 25 years people will say "they made what rock is today". They are huge NOW. But they could be even bigger...

Looks should have very little, if nothing to do with it. They changed the basis of their style, and didn't miss a beat. The entire album is amazing and well written. This change didn't take forever to make, they made it and it worked right away. And the point you're making isn't a fair point. They can't be put through the same filter as 70s bands, or even 60s bands, because that's when rock was really forming. They are this generations best preservation of it and kept its popularity high. God forbid people look back and have to say that about Nickelback just because Green Day didn't step up.

And their first grammy came for their first major album release, not really a time where they had established popularity.

I'm with JMT. Whilst they may not be the best band (by any means) in the last 20 years or so, it's impossible to deny their impact. While most posters on here were still in diapers, Green Day was rockin' out Woodstock. While most of you were listening to, I don't know, New Kids on The Block, they were releasing Brain Stew. Before Nimrod, they were bringing a "punkish" sound back to the forefront. Does Nimrod and after stand up to that? Not to an oldschool fan like myself, but it does in the long run.

In my mind, they'll be remembered as a driving force in the '90s and into the 2000s. Not on the level of Nirvana, or Pearl Jam, but on the second tier. I'd say the same level as the Goo Goo Dolls, but a bit more credit for their respective works.

They are definitely, at least, on the same tier as Pearl Jam. They accomplished as much in just the 90s, yet alone their continued success in the 2000s on. They have built huge followings on two different levels. They belong #2 only to Nirvana.

They are definitely, at least, on the same tier as Pearl Jam. They accomplished as much in just the 90s, yet alone their continued success in the 2000s on. They have built huge followings on two different levels. They belong #2 only to Nirvana.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Pearl Jam have one of the highest selling albums of all-time under their belt and are regularly mentioned as one of the best live acts of all time with their shows regularly running three hours long. They may not have as big of a fan base as Green Day now but Green Day could never be compared to Pearl Jam in their heyday. I actually looked some of this up: Green Day have been around since '87 while Pearl Jam formed in '90. So Green Day has three years on them but Pearl Jam has still sold more records overall. It's true that Pearl Jam had the advantage of the grunge movement but it really comes down to how good they were and what they were able to do with their situation. Their first three albums were solid gold. They were red hot the minute they left the gate while Green Day had to slowly build up and gain steam as they went. I'm not saying I don't enjoy Green Day (not a huge fan of their early work but I enjoy American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, yeah yeah their mainstream stuff, whatever) but I have a hard time accepting anyone saying they are above Pearl Jam.

Edit: I also just thought of the fact that Pearl Jam only had like 4 music videos up until like 2004. It's just a small thing but they were able to attain their status without the aid that most musicians rely on for conveying their music through T.V. I know Green Day have a large amount of videos as I own the collection on DVD. Not sure why I think this matters at least a little bit but I do.

Theyre the hardest working band in history.

I say that from two standpoints. They re-invented themselves from a lazy stoner band to a band that suddenly cares and is passionate about poliyics. Ive never seen a band do such a 180 with their careers. They were already so fucking successful with what they did, and they took a 10 year old band and completely changed what theyre about. I cannot, for the life of me, think of how hard that much be. From Dookie to International Superhits to American Idiot to 21 Century Breakdown, these guys are phenomenal. Some of the most insightful lyrics ive ever heard.

Whether theyre playing Live-Aid, playing Wemberly Stadium in England, or my now defunct Mellon Arena, try to find a time when this band isn't touring. These are guys in their 30's with families and kids with NOTHING to prove going out and putting on the effort of their LIVES every single show. Ive been to over 30 concerts in my life, and Green Day is certainly not my favorite band, but they played the best live show Ive ever seen.

Showmen. Intelligent. Diverse and Insightful lyricists. Right now, theyre the biggest band of the 21st century, and deservingly so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back