Greatest Wrestler in NXT History

OYDK

King Of The Ring
So the Nakamura/Balor thread got me thinking about NXT and all the incredible moments we've had since the first Takeover two and a half years ago, and that train of thought ultimately led me to the question I pose in this thread. Simply put, in your opinion who has proven to be the greatest wrestler (meaning in-ring talent) in NXT history up to this point? I'm sure the answer for most may differ a year or so down the line, after guys like Nakamura, Samoa Joe, and Kota Ibushi really start to get their feet wet but there are still a plethora of names to choose from.

While I was tempted to go with Bayley or Sasha Banks, the name that stands out above all others to me is Sami Zayn. Zayn has been putting on classic matches since his arrival in NXT 3 years ago and has arguably been part of 3 of the greatest matches in NXT history; first against Cesaro in a 2 out of 3 Falls match, second against Neville the night he won the NXT championship, and most recently against Shinsuke Nakamura at Takeover Dallas. It would be difficult for anybody to find a Sami Zayn match that was not good bordering on great since his debut in NXT.

That being said, I was very close to going with Sasha Banks who has also had some classics against Charlotte, Becky, and Bayley, but the pure quality of nearly every Zayn match, and his ability to step up in big game situations puts him inches above Sasha in my book.

So what do ya think? Humor me with your welcomed opinions.

It has to be Sami Zayn. His feuds with Neville, Owens, and Nakamura produced fantastic matches. He was someone you loved to support, someone who you looked forward to in an in-ring capacity 100% of the time, and made his matches seem all that much more important with his promos. His NXT Championship win (including what Owens did afterwards!) is still the top moment for me in NXT Takeover event history. His match with Nakamura in Dallas was the best NXT match ever. Sami Zayn set the standard for every single top face of NXT to follow. All of this, while being genuinely extremely gifted in the ring.

Definitely Sami Zayn.

Obviously, he's had outstanding matches with the likes of Swagger, Cesaro, Kidd, Breeze, Owens, Neville, and of course, Nakamura.

However, he has something that very few people on the roster have, and that's a genuine likability. It's just so easy to get behind the guy, his mannerisms and gestures in the ring provide for some good storytelling in his matches and you just want to cheer him on. His title win at TakeOver R-Evolution was awesome, you couldn't help but feel so happy for the guy.

Kevin Owens, hands down.

For me, he's probably the best in the company right now and everything he does is pure gold. I've probably grown more fond of him and his character since he came to the main roster, admittedly, but given the fairly open ended criteria, it's definitely him for me.

Daaamnnn and here I was thinking Sami Zayn was a sleeper pick. Until Takeover Brooklyn happens this year, he is the only wrestler in the world who can really say they have made an impact on every major NXT Takeover show. His NXT legacy reaches far beyond his title reign and any one feud that he had with many of the people everyone mentioned. It's his total package, paired with his passion, I felt like he was the heart and soul of NXT and represented every aspect of the show that made it so popular.

Runner up? Sasha or Bayley. Finn has had some good matches, Joe is in the midst of a great run, Neville was extremely exciting, but these two girls put on the best WWE match of 2015 and followed it up with an iconic first-ever Ironwoman match. Charlotte is definitely up there with them but I think Bayley and Sasha stand out due to their uniqueness and the genuine appreciation the fans have for their body of work. If any female wrestler has proven to be the "Heart and Soul of NXT" it absolutely has to be Bayley.

This is difficult, there are several categories to cover. As the franchise guy....Balor. As the most representative guy for NXT, Sami Zayn. As the best wrestler, Nakamura.

Problem is, there is and was some many amazing talent on NXT that (thanks god) its very hard to pick one guy.

Owens, Neville, Sasha, Becky, Bayle, Charlotte, had their amazing moments too. So is doing Joe now.

Whats cool, its that your question bring us the notion of how amazing this show has been and the quality of the roster.

Kevin Owens, hands down.

For me, he's probably the best in the company right now and everything he does is pure gold. I've probably grown more fond of him and his character since he came to the main roster, admittedly, but given the fairly open ended criteria, it's definitely him for me.

I think owens trascend NXT, i agree with you, he is the best in WWE right now. He is the one with the shortest run on NXT because of how good he is, and i think nakamura will go the same path.

I think Owens has the best future in the mainstream WWE, while Zayn is always coming up 2nd best or IC/US title contention.

If we're talking JUST NXT, I'd go with Sami, but if we're including their futures and main roster appeal, It's KO

I can't go with Sasha, because she got called up and was left floundering, and hasnt made any impact beyond getting a Snoop Dogg perormance at WM.
I Think Bayley's fanbase is pretty insane, but think she's developmentally missing a couple pieces to the puzzle.

That's always a difficult question to answer, because everyone has different criteria as to what makes a great wrestler.

In terms of what he did for the brand, Finn Balor has been untouchable. The guy has worked his ass off for the last two years for NXT, brought in tons of new fans, and represented NXT as champion like no one before him. So from a business standpoint, Balor is probably the MVP.

In terms of character arc, I don't think anyone's development has been as incredible as Bayley's. She went from the cringey superfan, to a genuine contender who was flawed but had potential, to the woman who sat at the top of the women's division. It's rare to watch a wrestler grow like that, feeling like we're alongside them the whole time. And it's not just Bayley the character, it's Bayley the person. Many of us have heard about the essay Bayley wrote as a kid, talking about how she'd be a women's champion... It's just incredible stuff.

Match-wise... I dunno, Sami, I guess? He's pretty good.

Really people? Have we forgotten that NXT was around before Arrival? Have we forgotten that plenty of men came through NXT and were able to grace us with their presence? People like Richie Steamboat, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Curtis Axel, Curt Hawkins, and Kassius Ohno just to name a few. Speaking of which, and since this is a thread talking about who was the best wrestler, how can we even have this conversation without thinking of Kassius Ohno, the original KO?

Ohno was a guy that in all honesty should've been WWE Champion by now. The fact that he hasn't even gotten called back to the WWE bothers me, because he really was super great in the ring. He could work with anybody on the NXT roster and turn out something great... and let's be honest people, NXT wasn't packed with top to bottom talent when it first started so to have that ability was a feat like no other. I'm just sorry that politics got in the way and Ohno was released.

As great as Zayn, Owens, Nakamura, Joe, Banks, Bailey etc are, Seth Rollins stands head and shoulders above 99% of both the NXT and WWE rosters IMO.

Definitely Rollins.

Since i look at nxt as a developmental territory and not really as a brand like raw or smackdown, i would have to pick somebody that had the most success since joining the main roster and let'S face it, if you look at the nxt graduates, they're not a lot of them that actually made a big impact since joining.

So personnally, i think that the ascensions are the greatest wrestlers in nxt history.... just kidding.

For real, has much as i don'T like him, i have to say Seth Rollins. Here a guy that went from being the first ever NXT champion, to getting promoted to the main rosters as part of the hottest faction that wwe as created since DX, won the tag belts with reigns and got a really long titles reigns with them, then turn heel and is a 2 time WWE champion.

So that probably the best exemple of success in wwe and let face it, you can put on good to great matches and get crazy over in a small pond like NXT but you won't be great until you can replicate this success on the main roster and seth is one of the rare guys that made it.

So what do ya think? Humor me with your welcomed opinions.

We are talking greatest Wrestlers of NXT and yet you toss names like Knockapichaco, Owens etc blah blah, You clearly are asking a different questions than what you purposed.

Triple H is clearly and by far the best of NXT. Now maybe you want an anwser based on those who actually put a few matches into NXT and as Much as Seth Rollins is doing his thing right now, Wade Barrett has also been in the same position as Seth Rollins, but with far more wins and titles. But then again Daniel Bryan was there.

So do you mean after it got revised in 2012?

So in that case I would have to say Neville. Not only is he the second longest Reigning NXT champ behind Finn Balor, but Neville also held the tag team gold two times.

But being the Best in NXT is cute, but why would it matter if you can't climb that ladder once you hit the main roster. Accession, Wyatts, etc haven't done much since they left. Finn Balor is up in the air and we have to wait and see, If Neville didn't get hurt he might have gone further, but only time will tell.

We are talking greatest Wrestlers of NXT and yet you toss names like Knockapichaco, Owens etc blah blah, You clearly are asking a different questions than what you purposed.

Triple H is clearly and by far the best of NXT. Now maybe you want an anwser based on those who actually put a few matches into NXT and as Much as Seth Rollins is doing his thing right now, Wade Barrett has also been in the same position as Seth Rollins, but with far more wins and titles. But then again Daniel Bryan was there.

So do you mean after it got revised in 2012?

So in that case I would have to say Neville. Not only is he the second longest Reigning NXT champ behind Finn Balor, but Neville also held the tag team gold two times.

But being the Best in NXT is cute, but why would it matter if you can't climb that ladder once you hit the main roster. Accession, Wyatts, etc haven't done much since they left. Finn Balor is up in the air and we have to wait and see, If Neville didn't get hurt he might have gone further, but only time will tell.

I don't even know what the hell you're talking about. I specifically asked, who's the best wrestler (in ring competitor) in NXT history. Who put on the best matches in NXT history, period. How difficult is that to comprehend ya knub?

So many ways to judge this. I'll look at it as NXT success and transitioning to Raw/SD. With that I have a toss up between Rollins and Charlotte. Both lead the way in their NXT Division. Defined greatness. Took all that success in NXT and rolled that over.

I don't even know what the hell you're talking about. I specifically asked, who's the best wrestler (in ring competitor) in NXT history. Who put on the best matches in NXT history, period. How difficult is that to comprehend ya knub?

Your question is stupid and loaded with Speculations and Wondering. YOu don't understand how NXT was originally like tough enough and wasn't until 2012 did they change the format to what we see today as NXT.

So since your simpleton brain can't comprehend that, I will make it simple. Triple H is by far hands down the best Wrestler ever part of NXT. PERIOD. Seth, Owens, Balor are all jokes in comparison.

Now hopefully when your brain fully develops ( apologies if you're mentally handicapped, if not holy hell when incest goes wrong) then you can grasp the concept that NXT has been around longer than this 2012. Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett both put on great matches as part of NXT (especially Barrett vs Cena).

However Since you are clearly the dullest tool in the shed, I assume you mean the current NXT product, Then I still say Neville.

Not sure where you got stupid words like Knub from you stoopid idiot, It is noob and you clearly show full signs, since you can't grasp the concept of where NXT actually came from. Do some damn research moron......OH now I see....you're from Canada....Well that explains the little brain.

Your question is stupid and loaded with Speculations and Wondering.

If you can't understand a simple question, you're a moron. As proven by your capitalization of words like speculation and wondering.

YOu don't understand how NXT was originally like tough enough and wasn't until 2012 did they change the format to what we see today as NXT.

Sorry, I forgot that I have to phrase my question to coddle the lowest common denominator, ie. you. So yes, I was referring to the new format of NXT, which anybody with half a brain could figure out. You're the only one who's had trouble with comprehending this thread. That should tell you something. Mainly that you're a moron.

So since your simpleton brain can't comprehend that, I will make it simple. Triple H is by far hands down the best Wrestler ever part of NXT. PERIOD. Seth, Owens, Balor are all jokes in comparison.

HHH has never wrestled on NXT. You're answer is incredibly stupid but I didn't expect any different considering you are incredibly stupid.

Now hopefully when your brain fully develops ( apologies if you're mentally handicapped, if not holy hell when incest goes wrong)

Assuming incest can go right? Ya sick freak.

then you can grasp the concept that NXT has been around longer than this 2012. Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett both put on great matches as part of NXT (especially Barrett vs Cena).

So say Daniel Bryan or Wade Barrett if you want. What's the problem? Christ, you are stupid.

However Since you are clearly the dullest tool in the shed, I assume you mean the current NXT product, Then I still say Neville.

That's all you had to say, but since you chose to be stupid, I'm going to make you look stupid, as a stupid person should look stupid.

Not sure where you got stupid words like Knub from you stoopid idiot, It is noob and you clearly show full signs, since you can't grasp the concept of where NXT actually came from. Do some damn research moron......OH now I see....you're from Canada....Well that explains the little brain.

Oh man I love that you spelled stupid wrong while calling me stupid. Just classic stupid behavior. And knub is actually another word for knob. I don't use stupid words like noob, I'm not 12 years old. I feel sorry for whichever country you spawned from. You must really drag down the literacy rate.

Now shut up and get the fuck off my thread ya knub. I'm in no mood to trade barbs with a damn moron.

In my opinion, the greatest wrestler in NXT history is Finn Bálor. For 292 days, Bálor was the painted Face of NXT. Paige is the greatest female wrestler in NXT history. The Ascension is the greatest Tag Team in NXT history. Wow, looking at these 4 NXT SuperStars together, they sure could have become the greatest Stable in NXT history.

I
Sorry, I forgot that I have to phrase my question to coddle the lowest common denominator, ie. you. So yes, I was referring to the new format of NXT, which anybody with half a brain could figure out. You're the only one who's had trouble with comprehending this thread. That should tell you something. Mainly that you're a moron.

HHH has never wrestled on NXT. You're answer is incredibly stupid but I didn't expect any different considering you are incredibly stupid.

So say Daniel Bryan or Wade Barrett if you want. What's the problem? Christ, you are stupid.

So First you ask for Opinions, You clearly don't want.

Then you say "You can't pick Triple H in my stupid game, he never wrestle in NXT, but then two lines later you say "So say D Bryan or Wade Barrett".....

KNOCK KNOCK MC FLY you frickin tool If I can't pick HHH due to him not wrestling in NXT then how in the hell can I pick Barrett or Bryan, neither did they.

You literally have to be one of the dumbest people I have ever encountered in my entire life, and I did community service with the Special Olympics.

Get off your thread, Yeah not a problem. Just the dumb strong.

Sami Zayn. He has a ton of great matches. Against Breeze at Takeover. The four way at the next event and then his MOTY against Neville at R Evolution. He had a great rivalary with Owens before another MOTY against Nakamura. Throw in his 2-out-of-3 against Joe and he has easily been the best in-ring wrestler.

He's also extremely likable and the best face. I don't see how it could be anyone else.

"You can't pick Triple H in my stupid game, he never wrestle in NXT, but then two lines later you say "So say D Bryan or Wade Barrett".....

KNOCK KNOCK MC FLY you frickin tool If I can't pick HHH due to him not wrestling in NXT then how in the hell can I pick Barrett or Bryan, neither did they.

Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett wrestled in NXT. Triple H didn't.

I'm going with Shinsuke Nakamura. No one gets the same crowd reactions and fanfare that Shinsuke gets (with the exception of Sami Zayn.) The crowd was already popping before Shinsuke even debuted and thats just crazy. The man has put on stellar performances and since it seems that he will not get getting drafted anytime soon to any of the main shows and will remain in NXT for a while, he will get more time to showcase his greatness down there for some more time.

I don't know why but I feel that if Hideo Itami had not gotten injured and put on the bench for over a year he could have been a franchise star for the brand and might have been where Finn Balor is right now.

If we are simply talking the best Greatest Wrestler to ever grace NXT then its between Nakamura, Joe & Neville.

For me, it could be either of Sami Zayn, Finn Balor OR Samoa Joe.

I will surely prefer Samoa Joe though. He has had a great badass heel run be it as a champion or a challenger. And He's just perfect in his role.

He has had damn good matches with Sami Zayn, Finn Balor and Shinsuke Nakamura.

Giving this title to Nakamura would be an unfair analysis.

Surprising responses, so far. I thought for sure someone would have clearly defined one of the ladies as the best ever in NXT.

If we're looking at it from a pure wrestling standpoint, names like Seth Rollins and Sami Zayn would top the list. But if we're looking at the totality of the product, it has to be either Sasha Banks or Bayley.

It's not necessarily what they did in an NXT ring, but rather what they did for an entire division. The women's division was defined by arguably the two greatest matches in NXT history and both involved Sasha and Bayley -- NXT: Brooklyn and NXT TakeOver: Respect (Iron Man Match).

The biggest impact NXT has made was in redefining the role of female performers and giving them a chance to show what they could do in the ring.

And I'm not discounting what ladies like Paige, Charlotte and Becky Lynch also did in NXT, but the matches between Sasha and Bayley were on another level.

Keep in mind, without those two matches, there would not have been the triple threat at WM 32 between Charlotte, Sasha and Becky which stole the show in Dallas.

All of those women were the main reason why the term 'Diva' was scrapped. The women's movement in the WWE was born from the hard work put in by female performers in NXT who tried to make the best of whatever opportunities they had. It was a revolution that is now simply a part of the WWE with men and women recognized equally for what they are -- superstars.

I've always enjoyed the women's feuds and matches in NXT more than the men's and they are basically given an equal amount of time on the show. For me it's easily Sasha Banks. And agree with the guy above talking about those Banks-Bayley matches. Just awesome stuff. Sasha stomping the hell out of Bayley's hand and making the Bayley fan cry were just two amazing heel moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back