Greatest Rapper Alive

smizzy

Doubt it, bud.
One of the most intriguing debates in music is who the greatest rapper alive is. Rap is in great condition nowadays. There are multiple rappers from every important Hip-Hop region putting out quality projects and the majority of them are quite young and have long, bright futures. It begs the old debate:

Who is currently* the greatest rapper alive?

*Take note that I say currently. I know plenty of you are going to want to say Nas, Eminem, possibly even Jay-Z for their work over nearly the last 20 years, but these are rappers that I consider to be past their prime. However, that's not to say that the argument can't be made for them to still be the greatest rapper alive. If you can make that argument, I'd love to hear it. But I would not agree with that. I have my own opinion.

Before I get into who I believe the greatest is, these are things in which I take into consideration:
  • Flow - Most important; wow do they approach a beat. Can they put a strong rap over any beat. How quickly can they rap. Can they switch up the tempo of their flow. Technicality. etc
  • Lyrical Content - Do they actually have something meaningful to say. Are they intellectual.
  • Quality of Work/Versatility - Take an overview of their catalogue; are the majority of their tracks and tapes great quality? Can they make bangers yet also slow things down. Can they flex or swag out but also turn around and make an emotional track.
  • Vision - Are they conceptual rather than just blindly putting out tracks. There's an art to making music. Rapping for a greater purpose.

There is one man that each of my personal criteria matches: King Kendrick Lamar.

Kendrick-Lamar.jpg

I've been following his career closely since Section 80, his first album, was released. good kid, maad city was a classic album. I am not stuttering. From the first to last track, his second album was absolutely on point and has the replay value of an Illmatic; each track was carefully crafted to go along with the concept of the album, and they wound up fitting perfectly. The concept of the album was essentially following Kendrick around during a day in his life growing up Compton, tackling all of the issues that a young, black teen may experience growing up in that area. It was done perfectly. Every single bar on that album complimented the concept and the interludes helped the tracks flow from one to the other, yet they also added another dimension to the album.

Kendrick's not my number one guy in the game because of one album. Section 80 was nearly as perfect. His other work is wonderful as well. Kendrick Lamar has countless songs that simply leave me mind blown. The man is on another level compared to the other rappers in the industry. Every verse he releases is top notch. He can appeal to a mainstream audience as well as an underground audience.

Some exemplary items
[YOUTUBE]j3A6FC4D19o[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]r0bzx8m1l9I[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]VpRpzvV7K2s[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]RpX--7xb2IA[/YOUTUBE]

Also important to discuss when bringing up Kendrick Lamar is the verse heard 'round the world. Of course, I'm referring to the verse he laid down on Big Sean's song 'Control' where he calls out the industry, claiming he's in this game for blood, that he wants to be the best, feels he is the best, and to prove him wrong by rapping better than he can. God damn, what a statement. This verse was met with great respect from his peers which shows that if he can get away with saying such things without much disagreement at all (except from a few irrelevant, butthurt individuals) that he is obviously held in a different light amongst other rappers.

Another note: he's a genius at his craft, a perfectionist. He doesn't drop the monthly mixtape or track. He's not even a frequent feature nowadays. He's been continuing to push back his upcoming album, in which he's been working on since late 2012. We may not even hear it until 2015. It was originally slated for this exact month. In an interview he said he has plenty of tracks recorded, yet only two or three are satisfying him enough to even be included on the album for sure. He's considering scrapping most of them in general. He wants to get it right. Hopefully he doesn't got he Detox route, but at the same time, he really does have a Dr. Dre mentality when it comes to releasing quality work. He takes his time and feels zero pressure.

To summarize, Kendrick paints vivid stories (Nas, Pac), has ridiculous flow (Eminem, Biggie), represents his region well and does its issues justice with how he depicts them (Pac, Biggie).

Do you agree, disagree, why, who do you believe is the greatest rapper alive? I'd love debate and hash this out with anyone, as well as hear your opinion in general.

Runner-up: Big K.R.I.T.

Rappers that are potential phenoms: Vince Staples (listen to his songs "Nate" and "Outro"), Isaiah Rashad (listen to his song "Banana" and "Soliliquoy")

A new wave of music from Kendrick Lamar will be coming out in the near future starting September 23rd when he'll finally be dropping a single off of the upcoming album. I have my doubts the album will be out this year but I could be wrong. Regardless, we'll have a new single Tuesday and I cannot wait to see what Kendrick has been working on considering the time he's been taking and the privacy involved.

But anyway.. consider this shit bumped. Greatest rapper alive, who do you think it is? Yeah you!

BUMP!

Greatest rapper alive, who do you think it is? Yeah you!

[YOUTUBE]zKB66pjw-JA[/YOUTUBE]

On top of releasing what turned out to be my favorite rap album in years with Because the Internet, Childish Gambino does shit like the video above. Nobody is doing freestyles that hot right now. He has a mixtape that will drop any day now too that I'm sure will be incredible, which will only add fuel to this fire.

A lot of people don't take the guy seriously because he's an actor, dresses weird, and has an odd name. But if you give his music a chance, if you watch that video above, you can see why the fans that he does have, such as myself, think the World of him and his talent.

One of the most intriguing debates in music is who the greatest rapper alive is. Rap is in great condition nowadays. There are multiple rappers from every important Hip-Hop region putting out quality projects and the majority of them are quite young and have long, bright futures. It begs the old debate:

Who is currently* the greatest rapper alive?

*Take note that I say currently. I know plenty of you are going to want to say Nas, Eminem, possibly even Jay-Z for their work over nearly the last 20 years, but these are rappers that I consider to be past their prime. However, that's not to say that the argument can't be made for them to still be the greatest rapper alive. If you can make that argument, I'd love to hear it. But I would not agree with that. I have my own opinion.

You have no idea the amount of disapproval I have for you right now... If you're going to say something like "Greatest Rapper Alive", then you shouldn't put a restriction on it or falsely ask the question. Plus, it's very conceited not to include the people who practically made rap the way it is with pop culture, and for the most part originated or populated the styles that most of the shitty rappers try to imitate today.

Just saying, proper word play goes a long way. Hey that rhymed, maybe I should try this rap thing...

On top of releasing what turned out to be my favorite rap album in years with Because the Internet, Childish Gambino does shit like the video above. Nobody is doing freestyles that hot right now. He has a mixtape that will drop any day now too that I'm sure will be incredible, which will only add fuel to this fire.

A lot of people don't take the guy seriously because he's an actor, dresses weird, and has an odd name. But if you give his music a chance, if you watch that video above, you can see why the fans that he does have, such as myself, think the World of him and his talent.

Seconded. Gambino is a master lyricist and he's been doing it long before he became an actor or a comedian. He's found a way to mix in the nerd lifestyles like MTG with more of the traditional stuff you'd hear from rappers. My favorite song by him has to be Bonfire, simply because he goes off in that song.

I recall you liking Gambino. I also recall you having a low opinion of Kendrick. Out of curiosity, do you still hold that belief?

You have no idea the amount of disapproval I have for you right now... If you're going to say something like "Greatest Rapper Alive", then you shouldn't put a restriction on it or falsely ask the question. Plus, it's very conceited not to include the people who practically made rap the way it is with pop culture, and for the most part originated or populated the styles that most of the shitty rappers try to imitate today.

Just saying, proper word play goes a long way. Hey that rhymed, maybe I should try this rap thing...

I'm not sure I understand your problem? I believe I made myself quite clear. If you're confused, then the question is 'who is the best rapper in the game at this very moment' and I did not put any limitations on an answer, as I said an argument can be made for anyone, even the rappers I personally consider to be out of their prime. Of course I think the people responsible for shaping rap and creating all of the different styles and sounds that are around today are great, but they're for another discussion (best of all time). And I'm not only considering the three that I mentioned, the same goes for everyone who played a role in making rap the genre it is today. Given that, all I'm asking is who is the best rapper that is putting out music right now? Unless you're just taking the title of this thread that literally, I don't see what part of my OP matches your complaint..

Back to Gambino, though; I've always appreciated him. I think he's as ambitious as anyone in the game and his body of work on production and songwriting is very impressive (not to mention his many other talents). I agree, he's a very, very capable lyricist. He's also one of the more colorful rappers currently as he adds such personality to his music. However, while I respect the guy and hold him to a higher standard based on pure ability, he honestly doesn't resonate with me. Several of my friends are big Gambino fans and bump him often and I can enjoy his work, I would just bump several different artists before I'd bump Gambino.

I recall you liking Gambino. I also recall you having a low opinion of Kendrick. Out of curiosity, do you still hold that belief?

No, I was being what they call a "hater."

I just thought Good Kid, M.A.A.D City was a good album, not a great album. Surely not the next "Illmatic" like a close friend of mine was hyping it up as.

What really turned me around though was that performance at the Grammys with Imagine Dragons. That was incredible and made me an instant fan.

I also jumped on the railroad that he was robbed at said Grammys, despite not thinking much of his album. It was still better than the other nominees, ESPECIALLY Macklemore. The more a chump like Macklemore continues to garner attention, record sales, awards... how can I not root for a guy like Kendrick Lamar to steal all that from him?

Macklemore and Iggy Azalea both truly disgusts me.

But yeah, bottom line, I'm not so quick to dismiss someone if they want to say Kendrick is the best rapper alive or already one of the all time greats, like I was a year or so ago. I need to be more open to this younger generation who are trying to take rap/hip-hop to the next level.

I just wish Kendrick would do more uptempo songs, like Maad City. I love fast paced, in your face hip-hop. And the more true lyricists that deliver that kind of hip-hop, the better. It's the biggest reason I'm a fan of Childish Gambino's music.

Trap music sucks, but the beats itself are awesome imo. It's just time we get talented lyricists instead of these ******s like Chief Keef to rap over them. Look what Kanye turned "I Don't Like" into, for example. He made that a great song, and I'm not even a Kanye fan. But that's what I wish, more of these "trap" beats, or just more uptempo beats, would find their way to true lyricists and artists. Kendrick would undoubtedly become a favorite of mine if he made more songs like Maad City, which is the kind of song I'm exactly talking about.

I personally think that eminem is the best rapper alive!!! He don't rap about smoking a ganja or girls asses!!! He is a lyrical mastermind and uses his lyrics to truly lift you up and enlighten you, make you think, concentrate and give you confidence!!! He also cussed lol wayne and drake In Their own tracks!!

I personally think that eminem is the best rapper alive!!! He don't rap about smoking a ganja or girls asses!!! He is a lyrical mastermind and uses his lyrics to truly lift you up and enlighten you, make you think, concentrate and give you confidence!!! He also cussed lol wayne and drake In Their own tracks!!

I'm not sure what you are saying in the end? He put rapped them for sure but still please elaborate a little more for me.

As for Kendrick Lamar himself I find him to be annoying. His voice is cringe worthy and his flow just doesn't do it for me. As for his rhyming and literature the guy is talented and is one of the better rappers to hit the scene in a long time. Greatest ever though I'm not sure.

It's too difficult to get into the greatest ever. Everyone's opinions will always differ. If I was to say my personnel top three it'd be in no particular order, Eminem, Notorious B.I.G, and Nas. Just my thoughts as they're does are awesome and word play is great. Honorable mention to 50 Cent, Big Pun and Jay Z.

This is always a hard topic for me. So many different styles as well as opinions that go with them. I'll give it a whirl though. I'm reaching here, but I'm gonna throw in Ghostface Killah. His first two albums Ironman and Supreme Clientele were classic in their own right, and I've sampled a few tracks from Fishscale as well. Raekwon is an excellent lyricist as well. Just give a listen to Criminology and Incarcerated Scarfaces. I'm not up on a lot of the new talents that's popular like Kendrick and Schoolboy Q. I'm more an underground fan, preferring the likes of MF Doom, Murs, and J-Live.

[YOUTUBE]1IPT54ZYfj4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]39kFbcd6oKU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]LiOYkS877Xk[/YOUTUBE]

Is this sarcastic/joke answer?

If not then I'm quite certain you haven't listened to all his albums. Because the he don't rap about smoking a ganja or girls' asses isn't even close to true.

Anyway I'd agree with Eminem on the sole basis that he's the only one I listen to on a regular basis. He''s been able to hold my attention. I don't know very much about rap at all and I'm not going to pretend I do.

I tried listening to Tyler The Creator and couldn't get into it.

The only other thing remotely rap wise that I really listen to Hollywood Undead and Deuce now that he's solo. But I don't feel like they fit this discussion.

Okay, don't take offense here but you're trippin' if you think that was all off the top. That being said, it was super dope. Color me interested. I really dig Glover as a comic but from what I can see his rap skills are much more impressive. Any actual songs you could recommend? I don't want to rummage around on Youtube and be let down by any singles and you know the actual album so you likely know the songs to bang.

This is the kind of shit I like; multi-syllable schemes with some speed. And you have to be saying something, which is why my personal choice for the best rapper alive is, another cat from Atlanta, Rittz.

[YOUTUBE]9nnZRyjqZJE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]oIVbFwuj7e0[/YOUTUBE]

And if you want something that isn't so morose and depressing,

[YOUTUBE]ZYtai-8Jh_0[/YOUTUBE]

This is the track where I fell in love with him. He totally outshined Tech who, at the time, was my favorite rapper.

[YOUTUBE]JzhWDe6f8iA[/YOUTUBE]

And not everything has to be double time or super serious, sometimes I like some mellow shit to smoke/drink to.

[YOUTUBE]Q8aA-AGq5Z8[/YOUTUBE]

And this is the track that I am loving the most off of his new album.

[YOUTUBE]D6WA8Olc_nE[/YOUTUBE]

tl:dr If I was on Rittz's dick any harder I'd be a condom.

Okay, don't take offense here but you're trippin' if you think that was all off the top. That being said, it was super dope. Color me interested. I really dig Glover as a comic but from what I can see his rap skills are much more impressive. Any actual songs you could recommend? I don't want to rummage around on Youtube and be let down by any singles and you know the actual album so you likely know the songs to bang.

This is the kind of shit I like; multi-syllable schemes with some speed. And you have to be saying something, which is why my personal choice for the best rapper alive is, another cat from Atlanta, Rittz.

I know you didn't direct it to me, but I too happen to love Gambino. So much so that my gamertag is now BTY Gambino. Anyway, here are a few songs by him that I really enjoy personally. Keep in mind, I only found out about him AFTER season 2 of Community.

[youtube]pRsbsXjgIHQ[/youtube]

It's slow, but it's really great on the deliverance.

[youtube]rM8XuKNTvAc[/youtube]

My second favorite Gambino song.

[youtube]jKhUV8IrKPg[/youtube]

First song I ever heard by him, and I love it... I actually use the instrumental as my CAW's theme in WWE games.

He's got a few love songs too, but if these are a few that really highlight his delivery, which is lost among a lot of rappers today.

Okay, don't take offense here but you're trippin' if you think that was all off the top.

I think people need to reevaluate the definition of a freestyle today. Nobody really ever spits off the top, and when they do... you're guaranteed to have multiple stutters and pauses. And if they don't, then they're most likely lying about it being all off the top of their head. Freestyles are mostly rhymes you have stashed away for a rainy day, sprinkled with a little improv. Eminem once explained it years ago perfectly.

Anyways, just a little more Gambino. Here's his newest song that I'm sure will be on his new mixtape. Nobody is making songs like this...

[YOUTUBE]7YK8f4j74WI[/YOUTUBE]

I think people need to reevaluate the definition of a freestyle today. Nobody really ever spits off the top, and when they do... you're guaranteed to have multiple stutters and pauses. And if they don't, then they're most likely lying about it being all off the top of their head. Freestyles are mostly rhymes you have stashed away for a rainy day, sprinkled with a little improv. Eminem once explained it years ago perfectly.

I'm with you. Em even used some of the bars from his old freestyles in songs on his first major release. Freestyling in it's purest form, totally off the top, usually isn't very interesting. Unless it's for comedic purposes.

Anyways, just a little more Gambino. Here's his newest song that I'm sure will be on his new mixtape. Nobody is making songs like this...

[YOUTUBE]7YK8f4j74WI[/YOUTUBE]

I know you didn't direct it to me, but I too happen to love Gambino. So much so that my gamertag is now BTY Gambino. Anyway, here are a few songs by him that I really enjoy personally. Keep in mind, I only found out about him AFTER season 2 of Community.

[youtube]pRsbsXjgIHQ[/youtube]

It's slow, but it's really great on the deliverance.

[youtube]rM8XuKNTvAc[/youtube]

My second favorite Gambino song.

[youtube]jKhUV8IrKPg[/youtube]

First song I ever heard by him, and I love it... I actually use the instrumental as my CAW's theme in WWE games.

He's got a few love songs too, but if these are a few that really highlight his delivery, which is lost among a lot of rappers today.

A bit too late for me to be bumping shit but I'll definitely get on this tomorrow.

Okay, don't take offense here but you're trippin' if you think that was all off the top.

On the topic of freestyles, you guys should check this out. I mentioned Vince Staples in my OP as an up and comer with a high ceiling. Well yesterday, Sway in the Morning uploaded this video of Vince Staples freestyling on the show and it is pretty apparent that it was in fact of the top. With that being said, super fucking dope freestyle here. You all might dig some Vince Staples.

[YOUTUBE]hUURgRCuHu4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]NJLfCBBcZAo[/YOUTUBE]

One of his recent singles. JMT, you might dig this one. It's uptempo like mAAd city, as you mentioned liking.

Gambino and Lamar are a little too mainstream for my taste. I agree that both are standouts in the hip-hop game without a doubt, but the underground shit is more my style.

Vinnie Paz and Immortal Technique are on equal footing imo... If you haven't heard either guy, give em a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tR0nciT_2I Vinnie Paz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8yKTuvRmPE Immortal Technique

Also if you love flow, check out Definition of a Rap Flow by RA the Rugged Man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DvuHQ45a-U

That is such a subjective question. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say Kendrick is the best in the game right now. Good Kid Mad City was one of the best albums ever in my opinion. Just the way he retells his life before he got famous and the struggle he went through is magical. Plus he dissed Drake hard on 106 and Park in a freestyle, so that goes a long way, even if Drake was on Poetic Justice.

That said, it is hard to pinpoint one guy. Gambino is an amazing lyricist, but as a huge fan of his I think he needs to make up his mind a bit. Either be the guy who raps about his dick, or be the guy who raps about nerdy shit, or be the guy who raps about weird shit. Camp was a great album because it dealt mostly with a central theme, but Because The Internet suffered a bit in my opinion because he tried to do too much with it. I'm still getting into his back catalog from before he got famous and I find new songs I love each day. You can tell he really improved once he started rapping full time as opposed to just a hobby.

There are underground guys like MF Doom and Danger Mouse who don't get recognition, but their flow is so great and their lyrics are smart.

Then you have a guy like Aesop Rock who has a lyrical vocabulary that is greater than that of Shakespeare, but because he doesn't include a lot of hook and choruses in his songs, he doesn't get mainstream attention.

You have guys like Action Bronson who really incorporate his former career as a chef into his lyrics, he's great. I just wish he didn't hang out with Riff Raff so much.

There is a case to be made for a lot of guys. You can even go with a guy like Dr. Dre and make a case. Yeah Detox is officially dead, but when you release two albums and both of them are held among the greatest rap albums of all time, you could make a case. Hell, you could make a case off The Chronic alone.

Basically I'm just listing off guys I like and calling them great. I would talk about how good I think Macklemore is, but that would probably invalidate my opinion.

Live Yáz;5004845 said:
There is a case to be made for a lot of guys. You can even go with a guy like Dr. Dre and make a case. Yeah Detox is officially dead, but when you release two albums and both of them are held among the greatest rap albums of all time, you could make a case. Hell, you could make a case off The Chronic alone

You'd have been better off using Snoop as a reference. You can't be one of the greatest rappers ever if you didn't even write your own shit. He's an excellent performer and musician, not a rapper.

I'm not a big rap guy. I could be termed a late bloomer and still a bit choosy about who I listen to and shit. That being said, I may be dropping a very mainstream name here but I really do dig this guy, the mix tapes, through the beef and all. Although I have to say I wasn't a big fan of LAX or R.E.D, his other albums are pretty dope with this one being the crown jewel:

[youtube]ulWhve81L4I[/youtube]

Yup. The Game.

There is absolute menace in his line dropping that I truly dig. More than rapping just for the rapping (just like singing coz you can sing), there is emotion and spit and venom behind his lines. I look forward to the Year Of The Wolf, because of this:

[youtube]nWCS9v303Gk[/youtube]

Stll going to have to go with Nas. He just put out a great album 2 years ago in Life Is Good, and still contains the skill he had over 20 years ago.

And artists like Keef, Migos, etc aren't bad. I enjoy them for what they're worth which is club bangers.

Never could get into Nas, but the man is gifted. Just sampled the new Ghostface album "36 Seasons" at my boy's place. Not a bad listen, but it's not on the level of "Pretty Toney" and "Fishscale".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back