Greatest Live Entertainers

Ferbian

Has Returned.
Obviously all bands perform live at least once in their lifetime. It's how they get noticed. Some are just regular bands that puts on a performance, some are just literally ridiculous to watch perform, and then there's the great live entertainers.

What I define as a great live entertainer is a guy that can, while both put on a great singing show, also keep the crowd entertained. Keep them wanting more, and keep them wanting to actually watch you, rather than just sitting around talking to a friend while listening to your music.

One person I think is arguably the greatest guy at keeping the crowd entertained, while performing amazingly live is without the shadow of a doubt: Robbie Williams

If you watch some of his live performances, most noticeably the "Live at Knebworth" DVD that he has released, there are never ending points of entertainment, keeping the crowd wanting more.

For example, the way he interacts with the crowd while preparing for the next song. A thing that strikes me the most amazing is whenever he seems to prepare for the song "She's the one" he takes a moment to find a couple in the crowd, chat with them a bit, and then he dedicates the song to them. I can only imagine that it truly makes the evening so much better for the couple.

It even goes as far as to the fact that he basically has the crowd singing the whole song except the chorus of "Angels". I believe I heard him in an interview once say it's been such a common thing that at one concert where supposedly the crowd didn't know the lyrics, or didn't sing along, Robbie had forgotten the lyrics as well.

So, while that's simply my choice. This is obviously a thread that I can only hope has a lot of great opinions, so why don't we get ahead with it?

Who is your favorite live entertainer?

Easily Angus Young. I saw ACDC in 2008. Angus was 51. And damn sure didnt look like it. He never quit moving, ever. Ive seen DVDs and stuff but they dont just foucus on him, its the whole band. When you see them live he draws every bit of attention to him. He can do all the crazy moves, the duckwalk, the spin on the ground, runn at full speed, all while playing solos that are hard enough just standing still. Ive personally seen over 400 bands live and he sticks out the most. Hands down.

When talking about entertainers, the name Freddie Mercury must be mentioned. Using just about any criteria you want, the man was the very definition of 'entertainer'. Charisma, a great voice, connection with the crowd, he had eveything. I would also agree with Ferbian that Robbie Williams is a good live entertainer. He doesn't have that good a voice, but he compensates with natural charisma that only a few have.

150% agree Ferbs, i have seen 2 Robbie Concerts in person, the 2006 ones where he was crippled with stage fright and at that point, even considering it he was still spectacular. He seems like he is enjoying it though which rubs off on you. I have the Knebworth DVD and i would have loved to be there but i think he is undoubtedly 1 of the best. I cant wait for his next tour.

Another guy for me in Bono, i saw U2 at Wembley last year and it was the best gig ever. They have songs that everyone wants to rock out to, Elevation started and Wembley truly came alive. More atmosphere than the England games! lol

One of the best live concerts I've seen was by Pearl Jam. They didn't rely on huge stage props or gimmicks, very Pearl Jam like, but the energy that they emitted was amazing.

Vedder was sweating buckets at the end and one thing they apparently always do is go past the set time limits. In Virginia you can't have concerts past 11:30 and all the lights came on telling them to stop but they just kept on playing. It was great. One of the best.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers dominate live. I saw them live when they came into Salt Lake City and I was floored, they sound so excellent live... absolutely stunning. Has anybody else seen them live at Slane Castle? It was the best concert of all time. They bring an extra element into their live performances, they add a little bit to every solo, to every part of the song.

If we are going by who we have actually seen live, my pick would be Glenn Danzig of The Misfits and DANZIG fame. Besides The Misfits being my favorite band of all time, he has done terrific work in all of his bands. I have seen Danzig live numerous times and I was one of the luckiest fiends on Earth when I got to see him perform Misfits songs with their guitarist Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein for the first time in 25 years. Truly an awesome show that I will never forget.

Danzig, despite being over fifty now, has the same amount of energy he has always had. He is all over the stage and scaring the shit out of whomever is in the front row. Nobody is safe and nothing is off limits. I've seen both fights and fucking in the crowds at a Danzig show. Something about a short, ridiculously buff Italian guy with long black hair and blood all over his body just gets people riled up. He is always up close and personal with the fans and very often will hand you the microphone to give you a chance to fuck up the end of the line he is singing.

As far as live vocals goes, he always goes a little rougher than the original recordings to match the intensity of the show. These are just straight brooding, thick vocals he belts out and it matches the overall aura of the performance. He knows exactly what songs the fans want to hear and how they want to hear them. A true performer of the fans.

A compilation of live shows featuring probably his most well known song:

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ts37IyjqsFU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ts37IyjqsFU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Here's a live performance of Skulls from his Misfits days:

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUtE2vge3Ps&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUtE2vge3Ps&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I've only seen a couple concerts, but my favorite one is Skillet. They have a live CD called Comatose Comes Alive, if you want to hear it. They play all of their hits in no apparent order live. Also, they have a violin player and a cello player that rise up on platform things until they are almost touching the ceiling of the stadium. Awesome band that is great in concert.

Slipknot hands down. I saw them live twice and they were the best two shows I'd ever been to. Corey Taylor has the best stage presence I've ever seen, and can work the crowd as if he were a stripper working a pole. Seeing them live made me appreciate their music much more, and I had a ridiculous amount of fun. If you want any evidence of how great they are live, watch this.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bHG12L6qgG8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bHG12L6qgG8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

If you are looking at the best ALL TIME entertainer, look no further than Freddie Mercury- the man was simply incredible

Robbie Williams is another, he doesnt do many gigs but when he does they are something mind blowing, he is so charismatic and just a phenomenal entertainer

I'm sure I'm gonna get blasted for this, but oh well. I have to be honest, and say Lady Gaga, sure some people may say a Madonna impersonator, but damn me then. I have never seen anyone go all out as much as this chick does. She is balls to the wall 100% of the time. You have her wearing a living dress that moves on its own while she's playing piano and singing her songs, and wearing outfits and trying to move around the stage that can restrict her movements. You never know what to expect with her and she'll still do the same things in public. Of course if people want to rip me go ahead, but this person is probably the ball-siest performer I've seen in a LONG time to come along and keep it going full steam and everyone just doesn't know what is gonna happen next. And we wonder why the world is so awestruck with this person who shows up wearing a bedazzled lobster, or a jacket made of skinned kermits, or she'll do that MTV awards where she starts bleeding spontaneously and hangs lifelessly as an artistic expression?

She is balls to the wall 100% of the time.

When it comes to Lady Gaga, she's certainly got balls to put to said wall.

My answer has to be The Prodigy. Seen them a couple times live now, and both times were absolutely incredible. Keith Flint and Maxim are just insane beings of pure energy. They gotta be pushing 40 now, but they can still run around and get the crowd riled up like they could back in the day. Being at the front of the crowd during Smack My Bitch Up is an unreal experience.

My mind was blown when I saw Machine Head in December '08 when they supported Slipknot. They are undeniably one of the greatest bands live, even winning the award twice at an awards show. Slipknot was perfect as well, a band that takes themselves very seriously yet Corey took some time out to make the crowd laugh. Both bands are flawless live, had an amazing onstage presence, Robb Flynn of Machine Head knows how to work a crowd as well, pyro stemming from the stage when Slipknot played I could feel the heat from where I was sitting.

I saw Alice Cooper's Theatre of Death this past weekend at Sonisphere, and I have to say, it was an absolutely awesome show watching him get executed in multiple ways as well as beating up his stage hands and walking around in a giant exo-skeleton. A truly awesome sight.

Then of course you have Rammstein and their insane pyro technics and sexual imagery going non-stop. On their current tour Till Lindemann uses a 50's style gasoline pump during 'Benzin' to burn a 'stage jumper' as well as shooting fire from a set of mechanical wings during 'Engel', and riding a giant bell end that shoots out fake sperm during 'Pussy' and the keyboard player sails around the crowd in a rubber dingy during 'Halfisch', and even that's only half the things they do.

I also had the pleasure of watching Skindred play for the 5th or 6th time, and even though i don't actually listen to Skindred, they are truly amazing to watch live. Benji knows how to work a crowd.

If you've never seen any of these bands, go asap.

Then of course you have Rammstein and their insane pyro technics and sexual imagery going non-stop. On their current tour Till Lindemann uses a 50's style gasoline pump during 'Benzin' to burn a 'stage jumper' as well as shooting fire from a set of mechanical wings during 'Engel', and riding a giant bell end that shoots out fake sperm during 'Pussy' and the keyboard player sails around the crowd in a rubber dingy during 'Halfisch', and even that's only half the things they do.

I would agree with that 200%. I havent got to see them live yet, since they refuse to play USA bc of their pyro laws, but Im gonna fly over to Germany probably next year and see them. But I do have their DVDs. They dont talk to the crowd much but they make up for it in every other way. And it dosnt matter what country they are in. Everyone knows all the words.

I don't know if I would say any of the bands or performers have been or are the greatest live performers ever, but I have seen some very good shows. Rob Zombie brought a very interesting live show to town a few years ago. The shit that goes on when Zombie is on stage mixed with the footage the shows while he sings is incredible to see live. It is creepy, funny and just nice to see.

Kings of Leon has a terrific lights show that accompanies their live show. Not to mention they sound great in person.

Puddle of Mudd is a good show. Wes Scantlin is really good at getting the crowd involved. He jumped right into the crowd and moved among them. Not to mention they did several cover songs that were a nice little surprise.

Skillet is another really fun band to see live. They go balls to the wall when they are on stage and it is cool to see.

I am going to see John Mayer in about a week so hopefully I will have another name to add to my list of awesome performances live, but I could be wrong. And like I said, none of the above are the greatest ever but they are all definitely fun in their own ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back