• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gracie Combatives. The First In A Long Line?

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Lately, I've seen commercial after commercial for Gracie Combatives, a ridiculously priced DVD set, that will teach you everything Gracie knows. Self-defense, weapons attacks, hand-to-hand combat...You name it, and this DVD set is supposed to teach it to you.

I think this could be the first, in a long line, of DVDs released under this theme. With MMA's growing popularity, I wouldn't be surprised to see octagon legends of the past look to this as another pay check. Tank Abbott can put out a DVD on how to strike effectively, and Ken (and Frank for that matter) Shamrock can put out a DVD teaching self defense. Same goes for Dan Severn, and all the other guys that gave UFC it's name.

The popularity boom of MMA, has also led to more people believing they can be MMA fighters. Releasing DVDs in this style, could help to gain some interest in people that want to fight, but haven't had much training. Who better to learn from than Gracie??

Do you agree? Are we seeing the beginning of a new trend?

No, these DVDs won't sell. The Gracies put out a huge book a few years ago that gave away all their "secretes" and also was a biography for their family's wonderful history (I'll always remain of the opinion that Helio Gracie ranks right up there with Bruce Lee as the most important Martial Artist of all time), but it didn't sell well. It's currently out of print and cost a shit load of money if you want to buy it used.

Tito Ortiz and Frank Shamrock both have training videos out and neither of them did well, either. You'll find some of it on Youtube I'm sure.

I just think if someone wants to learn MMA, then they're going to go to a gym and learn in person. That's where the real money is at right now. These constructional videos aren't going to make a third of what these schools make, because people would rather be teached by a human being then by a television.

No, these DVDs won't sell. The Gracies put out a huge book a few years ago that gave away all their "secretes" and also was a biography for their family's wonderful history (I'll always remain of the opinion that Helio Gracie ranks right up there with Bruce Lee as the most important Martial Artist of all time), but it didn't sell well. It's currently out of print and cost a shit load of money if you want to buy it used.

Tito Ortiz and Frank Shamrock both have training videos out and neither of them did well, either. You'll find some of it on Youtube I'm sure.

I just think if someone wants to learn MMA, then they're going to go to a gym and learn in person. That's where the real money is at right now. These constructional videos aren't going to make a third of what these schools make, because people would rather be teached by a human being then by a television.

It goes to show just how well they did, that I had never even heard of them :lmao:

I agree that Gracie ranks up there as one of the most important, and influential martial artists in history. For a while, he was the only reason people tuned in to UFC, because no one ever knew how he'd make someone tap next.

He was essentially UFC's Goldberg, is the best way I can think to put it.

You're thinking of Royce Gracie, NSL. Helio Gracie is Royce's father and basically the creator of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. While Royce brought the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to the national spotlight in the first few UFC's (to which his brother Rorion first founded, by the way), there would've been no art to bring if his father hadn't invented it in the first place.

Without Helio Gracie’s existence, there most likely would be no Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and definitely no UFC.

Learn how to not get defeated then apply a submission when your opponent is too tired to move? No thanks. That sounds too much like a hedgehog thing to me. They lay there in their little balls and when you're not looking they shoot spikes into your throat. It's happens, I've seen it.

Royce Gracie in his prime was as good as any mma fighter out there right now. he fought multiple times in tournaments and won in the UFC when there was very little rules and fought until someone tapped or was ko'd. there was also no weight classes. i know fighters are better now and have evolved and are good on there feet as well as on the mat. But i dont think anyone out there right now could have beaten him in his prime. fedor would have been taken down and submitted, along with GSP, Machida, and Anderson Silva.

Royce Gracie in his prime with the UFC rules of today would have had a fucking awful record. He's got fifteen minutes to win a fight, but his main strength is not getting beat. He doesn't try to win. He only wins after his opponent has got tired of trying to defeat him.

Yeah... I'm sorry pampero, but you couldn't be more wrong. Royce was in tremendous shape when he fought Matt Hughes and I'm sure he was as good as he ever was for that fight, and look at what happened. Hughes destroyed him, as GSP would, as Anderson Silva would, as BJ Penn would, ect. Royce has never had any stand-up ability, and his wrestling has also always been shit. There's no chance in hell he would survive in today's world.

I respect Royce Gracie and his accomplishments as much as anyone, but there's no way I'd ever believe that he could compete with the best of today's MMA World. No way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back