GOP Representative: "Today is like Pearl Harbor and 9/11"

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...ens-contraceptive-mandate-to-pearl-harbor-911

A House Republican lawmaker likened the implementation of a new mandate that insurers offer coverage for contraceptive services to Pearl Harbor and the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks against the United States.

Pennsylvania Rep. Mike Kelly (R), an ardent opponent of abortion rights, said that today's date would live in infamy alongside those two other historic occasions. Wednesday marked the day on which a controversial new requirement by the Department of Health and Human Services, which requires health insurance companies to cover contraceptive services for women, goes into effect.

"I know in your mind you can think of times when America was attacked. One is December 7th, that's Pearl Harbor day. The other is September 11th, and that's the day of the terrorist attack," Kelly said at a press conference on Capitol Hill. "I want you to remember August the 1st, 2012, the attack on our religious freedom. That is a day that will live in infamy, along with those other dates."

Republicans cried foul when the Obama administration first announced the new rule, reasoning that it would force employers with a religious affiliation to act in a way that contradicts their beliefs. The outcry included criticism from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, and President Obama subsequently announced a compromise in which employers wouldn't be forced to offer insurance plans that cover contraception, but insurance companies would be required to offer coverage to women who wish to purchase it.

Republicans rejected the compromise, and subsequently attempted several times to advance legislation to reverse the mandate. The imbroglio contributed to Democratic charges of a GOP-led "war on women."

"This is a right that every American should be outraged, outraged about what this administration and Secretary Sibelius has set forth here on August the 1st," New York Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle (R) said at the same press conference as Kelly. "And as Mike said, August the 1st is a day that we as American will look at as the largest assault on our First Amendment rights."

Yes females: if you want to purchase something that is legal, you're the same as an invading army or a group of insane terrorists.

I just hope and pray I am still alive 60 years from now to see Hollywood make a lousy movie starring Ben Affleck III that accurately portrays the infamous events that took place today.

Good to know birth control pills are as terrible of a disaster as the deaths of approximately 5,500 people.

Got to hand it to those Republicans, they sure do know how to put things into perspective.

Republicans are very good at making dumb people believe the shit they say. All they have to do is add explosions and fear, and suddenly, birth control pills are the worst thing to happen to this country since slavery.

I'm sure a game could be made out of this. Taking 1 random thing that annoys Republicans and then linking to 1 random disaster.

Taxing the rich... is as bad as... an outbreak of ebola
Tighter gun control... is worse than... the holocaust
Abortion... is like... the boxing day tsunami

Most Republicans. It's unfortunate a moderate, like myself, can no longer find it in himself to agree with them on anything.

Any yeah, this is pretty fucking awful.

I blame the Tea Party for the Republicans slide into lunacy. I never cared much for them before, but at least they were only devious, not stupid. Now they're both.

I blame the Tea Party for the Republicans slide into lunacy. I never cared much for them before, but at least they were only devious, not stupid. Now they're both.

Having a Black President energized extreme right wingers. They were holding protests and crying about taking our country back before Obama had even done anything to piss them off.

Also, I have never bought into that bullshit line about Tea Party people being independents. Bullshit. They're extremely angry and motivated conservatives. If they were independents who lean toward libertarian views, they wouldn't cry about gay marriage and so forth.

It's such a stupid thing to say that pointing out what a stupid thing it is to say seems redundant. Its stupidity is self-evident.

I'm comfortable knowing that in twenty years these people will be thought of as ignorant morons.

Time has a way of slowly correcting stupidity, albeit while introducing new, exciting forms of it.

I always read the "stupid politician" threads, and it never ceases to make me feel better about where I live. Sure stupidity is everywhere, but the amount you actual smart Americans have to put up with is insane, I wouldn't be able to handle it.

I always read the "stupid politician" threads, and it never ceases to make me feel better about where I live. Sure stupidity is everywhere, but the amount you actual smart Americans have to put up with is insane, I wouldn't be able to handle it.

I don't know how they roll up in the Great White North but here in Pennsylvania we get the double whammy. Our Republicans are still stuck in 1850 and our Democrats spend money like they're printing it in the basement. Third parties? Nevah heard of `em.

So women using birth control pills is equal to 2 terrorist attacks? :banghead:

And people actually want to vote for these morons?:wtf:

I might actually vote for Obama now. How moronic can you get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back