Goodbye To The Impact Zone?

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
I think we're about to see a mass suicide of THE CRUCIAL CREW :lmao:

http://thesportscourier.com/content/tna-impact-ny

TNA Wrestling may be taking their Spike TV show Impact to New York City—permanently.

According to a source, TNA is seriously contemplating moving their flagship show out of the Impact Zone in Universal Studios, Orlando, FL and to the world's media capital.

The venue of choice would be the Paramount Theater—the old home of WWF (WWE) New York/The World nightclub and restaurant.

On the surface, the benefits of a potential move may seem obvious: hotter crowds, paying customers (fans in Universal are admitted free of charge), bigger spotlight, etc. However, factoring in the operating expenditures is key—higher cost on rent, higher taxes, more expensive hotels, more competition in entertainment (plays, concerts, NY sports teams), among other issues.

If this move occurs, it is still unknown what that means for Impact's future, considering this past Monday's rating was a shockingly low .6. Obviously, major changes to the creative and in-ring product would need to occur in order to draw more viewers and paying customers.

Then again, Hulk Hogan could sell out Paramount Theater.

But could he do so on a weekly basis when the Hulkamania novelty wears off?

That remains to be seen. For the time being, TNA may try and run Impact at the Paramount at least once to test the waters and go from there.

There is no doubt this could be a huge move for TNA, but the financial consequences need to be kept in mind.

When you sign a lot of wrestlers to big contracts (not big contracts per se, but big for how big a promotion TNA is), money needs to come from somewhere. TNA I'm sure is bleeding money right now. PPVs are rumored to be very poor performers, and it's not like they really promote their PPVs correctly to begin with in order to get people to not only decide against ordering a WWE or UFC PPV, but to get people to plop down their money to begin with. Add in that they don't charge people to get into The Impact Zone, and after 5 or 6 years, they can't really start now.

To the shortsighted, this move makes sense. They think that they'll be able to charge people to get in to watch, and that will at least start paying for the contracts. Problem is that TNA would either have to pay their talents' expenses every week for them to fly to New York, or they'll have to uproot their lives in Florida and make a permanent move to the New York area. So really, it would just be adding on expenses. Furthermore, it's not guaranteed that people would go to the tapings. TNA house shows are routinely poor performers, and the last time ROH and TNA were in New York simultaneously, ROH sold more tickets. Also, the article says they're looking at the old WWE New York venue as a place to set up shop, only problem is that it's the Hard Rock Cafe now, and they're more likely to have the shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom, where they'd be routinely shit on by the cretins there, who are just a little better than the Crucial Crew.

Personally, I don't think a move to New York is a good idea for TNA right now. They need to run shows in the general Southeastern area, where they have most of their fanbase based out of.

OH please God let them move to New York so that way at least they will be a state away from me. I have always wanted to go see one of there shows. That is by far the smartest choice they could make and i hope they do make that choice. Please Hulk, TNA management don't be stupid move the Impact Zone

Crucial crew...lulz

Anyway, this is fantastic. TNA needs money. They also need to start looking more professional. New York's crowds are smart and hot, and I'm sure they'd appreciate having TNA. It's really a win for TNA, as they get more money, more exposure, and bigger crowds.

I can't think of any downsides, really. This is just a smart move.

A complete failure on TNA's part. Why would you move your central location to a place that's 100 times more expensive to keep up and in a pro-WWE town like NYC? Sure it looks great on the surface with finding a nice place in the middle of everything, and having actual paying customers come in and watch the show. But to be honest, I see this as a bad move for TNA.

This move screams desperation on their part. They're losing money and they're trying to find ways to have a cash flow come in. Problem is, it's going to offset itself with the costs of rent, hotels, etc. I just don't see the logic in moving to New York. Way too expensive to have any benefits. It's not like the ratings will change because they change scenery. Sitcoms that are bombing don't move locations and gain in the ratings. Why would it work for TNA to move to New York? I hope this works if they try it, but a trial run or two needs to happen first.

A complete failure on TNA's part. Why would you move your central location to a place that's 100 times more expensive to keep up and in a pro-WWE town like NYC? Sure it looks great on the surface with finding a nice place in the middle of everything, and having actual paying customers come in and watch the show. But to be honest, I see this as a bad move for TNA.

This move screams desperation on their part. They're losing money and they're trying to find ways to have a cash flow come in. Problem is, it's going to offset itself with the costs of rent, hotels, etc. I just don't see the logic in moving to New York. Way too expensive to have any benefits. It's not like the ratings will change because they change scenery. Sitcoms that are bombing don't move locations and gain in the ratings. Why would it work for TNA to move to New York? I hope this works if they try it, but a trial run or two needs to happen first.
This wouldn't really have anything to do with the ratings, as I imagine better ratings would only be more money for Spike, not TNA. What I imagine TNA wants is to collect money for the people that come to their shows, AND not have ignorant smarks ruin the shows.

Then again, going to New York won't be the best way to solve that last one. And TNA doesn't pay rent or hotels, the wrestlers do. Wrestling is hot in New York, and there are a lot of people there. I don't see it as desperation as much as I see it as an attempt to move up in the world.

This wouldn't really have anything to do with the ratings, as I imagine better ratings would only be more money for Spike, not TNA. What I imagine TNA wants is to collect money for the people that come to their shows, AND not have ignorant smarks ruin the shows.

Then again, going to New York won't be the best way to solve that last one. And TNA doesn't pay rent or hotels, the wrestlers do. Wrestling is hot in New York, and there are a lot of people there. I don't see it as desperation as much as I see it as an attempt to move up in the world.

My point is that even if they have paying customers, TNA's costs will still outweigh it's gains. TNA still has to pay rent for the building, which I can guarantee is more than renting a spot at Universal Studios. They also have to pay rent for wherever they operate, which if that's in NYC, can cost a hefty sum as well. If they decide to still operate out Nashville or Orlando or wherever, then the costs of flying back and forth would be factored in, too.

I do see why TNA's thinking about doing this, but my point is that it doesn't hold any benefits except to change the scenery and as you said to 'move up in the world'. I still say it's desperate. TNA's been in the iMPACT Zone for years and years and just NOW are deciding on a change of venue... now that they've sort of thrown a gauntlet down against the WWE.

And I'm sure the talent won't be too happy about increasing their own costs either.

My point is that even if they have paying customers, TNA's costs will still outweigh it's gains. TNA still has to pay rent for the building, which I can guarantee is more than renting a spot at Universal Studios. They also have to pay rent for wherever they operate, which if that's in NYC, can cost a hefty sum as well. If they decide to still operate out Nashville or Orlando or wherever, then the costs of flying back and forth would be factored in, too.
They will have more expenses, but they'll also be making a whole hell of a lot more money. Right now I think they get 900 people for Impact. If they do the same business, that's 3600 people a month. Say each person pays an average of $15 a ticket, and you're looking at $54,000 a month. Multiply that by 12 months, and it's $648,000 a year, that they have been missing out on. Factor in merchandise sales, the much better media market, etc. and it's easy to see why TNA would want to move to New York.

TNA's been in the iMPACT Zone for years and years and just NOW are deciding on a change of venue... now that they've sort of thrown a gauntlet down against the WWE.
They started in Nashville, back in the Asylum. They've been in Orlando for years, it's time to move on.

And I'm sure the talent won't be too happy about increasing their own costs either.
Then they're free to go. But I bet they don't.

For those who argue that wrestlers will be paying more for hotels, I offer the counter that those wrestlers may be able to make more based off the exposure NYC offers. No doubt appearence opportunities will be more plenty in the city and those can be revenue for wrestlers who may not mind paying higher hotel rates in the Northeast. Also its not like there arent cheap places just across the bridge in NJ, so its not really an issue.

Rent may be higher in the city for TNA, but if they are able to charge entrance fees then they are already doing something more than they could do at Universal. Moving the show to NY can also be a step in moving the show on the road more frequent which I think will be a huge step for the product.

They will have more expenses, but they'll also be making a whole hell of a lot more money. Right now I think they get 900 people for Impact. If they do the same business, that's 3600 people a month. Say each person pays an average of $15 a ticket, and you're looking at $54,000 a month. Multiply that by 12 months, and it's $648,000 a year, that they have been missing out on. Factor in merchandise sales, the much better media market, etc. and it's easy to see why TNA would want to move to New York.

I don't know how big the venue is in New York. If it's the same size or bigger than the iMPACT Zone, then that could be a step in the right direction. However I'm anticipating it being slightly smaller than that. And if all of that stuff pans out, it could work out. But they're treading water as we speak... and this move would still offset their costs. There's many, many costs into running a show. Costs of possibly upgrading equipment like cameras, studios, lighting, etc have to be factored in. And who knows if the venue needs renovated to run a wrestling show? That is also factored into it. So the point is that the 648,000 won't go as far as you might think.

They started in Nashville, back in the Asylum. They've been in Orlando for years, it's time to move on.

Won't argue this. They needed a change of venue before Hogan came along.

Then they're free to go. But I bet they don't.

The bigger wrestlers? Of course not. They can afford it. But the wrestlers who are actually not paid as well as the bigger stars may have a tougher time with those expenses. Who knows? With a gate now, maybe they can actually pay the wrestlers more. But I still say it's a desperate move on their part.

This is a smart move as long as they improve their production as well. TNA from the impact zone reminds me of a cheap 'B' movie at best. Good product w/o good production = bad ratings. WWF(i still refer to it this way) can have horrible product, but they are so top notch on their production that this helps offset the bad product at times.

I was interested in the TNA when Hogan and the Band among others returned, but that quickly...and i mean quickly faded when i realized that the small crowds and the horrible production made watching it unbearable.

Here's the thing guys. Moving to New York would be a horrible idea.

1. TNA is paid a small percentage of the tickets sold at Universal, so they are getting something by being there.

2. The Impact Zone is pretty cheap from what has been reported on the internet, if it's all true that is.

3. New York would be a huge expense that they aren't ready to take on, at least not yet. If they were to do this any time soon, it would sure be the end of TNA, and that would kill me.

4. Moving the show to another permanent home is a step in the wrong direction. Bischoff said a couple months ago the plan is to take the show on the road, so this doesn't make sense if that is what the plan is still.

However, the really bad thing about the Impact Zone is it is filled with half walk-in people who are there cuz it's free. The real fans who want to see the show end up having to pay the ridiculous park admission fee to get in. And at least in New York, or maybe even Vegas or L.A., they could get real fans to attend the shows, and I'm sure they could get people to show up if they have really low admission to start with or something. But I still think the best way to go is get the ratings and PPV buyrates up and then go on the road. Staying in one spot doesn't get any exposure, and house shows just don't cut it clearly, as even in WWE, house shows aren't greatly advertised.

However, the really bad thing about the Impact Zone is it is filled with half walk-in people who are there cuz it's free. The real fans who want to see the show end up having to pay the ridiculous park admission fee to get in.

That's a total misconception. To watch impact is completely free real fan or not, you don't need to pay to get into the park. You just have to pay for parking (or use another mode of transport) and follow the instructions from the Universal website.

Is there any particular reason why they can't charge admission where they are?

My town is about 25 minutes from NYC by car. Hotels here are about $89 a night. My town has a train direct into Grand Central Station for about $12 round trip. It's really not that expensive on the NJ side of the river. TNA makes next to nothing for being in Universal and has to pay them rent. They are losing money just being there. A move to a venue that they could sell tickets to would be a big boon. If even half of their attendance was paid that would be a step in the right direction.

i mean why in the fuck does this have to be a popularity contest

When you're talking about one company considering moving it's business base into what is known as the heart of the other company since the 60s I'd say that it being a popularity contest would have a lot to do with it, hence why, for example, you don't see many England football (the English version, not your American version where you use your hands) shirts being sold in America, because the loyalties of the area are elsewhere and it wouldn't cause a dent.

you don't see FOX, OR NBC COMPETING FOR RATINGS WHEN THEY SHOW THE NFL GAMES DO YOU?

You are either extremely naive or, judging by your extreme use of bad language and spelling, poorly educated and gullible. All companies and Networks that are showing the same product, at the same time, are competing for ratings. They want to be able to have the highest ratings so they can crow about being number one for the fans choice in that particular field. Again, using football, the BBC and ITV over here are both offering David Beckham stupid amounts of money to be a pundit on the world cup. Why? Because he will draw in viewers, even though only the last group games are on at the same time, and be able to give the station bragging rights.

nope only in a fake ass sport, with fake ass fans......and when i say the fake ass fans, you know who you are!!!! the ones that for a minute was complaining about how bad wwe is/was, and that they were tired of seeing john cena in every main event, he isn't a good wrestler, he's the the MODERN HULK HOGAN!!!! roll eyes....... he's this he's that, and triple nose, (hhh) and on and on, but yet you same fake ass fans turn around and wanna defend the same company you just said wasn't shit anymore, because another company made a rude comment.....i mean how much since does that make.

So you come on a wrestling forum to refer to it wrongly in two ways. Firstly it's not fake (the injuries and moves are very real, just done safely and with an ending already decided) to call it fake is to insult everyone who's ever got enjoyment from wrestling and made a living putting their body at risk to entertain people. Secondly to call it a sport is wrong as well (let's leave "sports entertainment" for that thread). Having read your post I can't, for the life of me, really understand what you're saying, other then having a pop at wrestling and it's fans for having opinions that differ which, to me, is rather strange. Admittedly I can't understand what you're saying, and what I do understand is, to me, a complete load of old tosh but, I respect your right to say it. Wrestling fans, by and large, are lowest common denominator (me included) and we want our wrestling like we want our food, fast and to the point, with new things introduced as often as possible. I think TNA would be mad to try and go to New York, as I've explained why above, but I think kudos to them for trying something different. Hell, at least they're not trying to go to the over-crowded Philly market or back down South.

Honestly while I wanted and dared them to come to the NY market earlier, this move is too excessive for right now if true. TNA needs to make an impact (pun slightly intended) in this area because it is America's major market. But with the expense of running in New York permenantly, it will hinder TNA's growth.

They really need to dip their toes in the area first, run a PPV at the Hammerstein, or even at the NJ Devils Newark arena if you want to play it safer. But use a major PPV as a test to see if NY/NJ is a viable option for you.

I've been saying for a while that TNA should gun for the Brooklyn Arena that's being built for the NBA's Nets. Get exclusive rights to run PPVs/occasional Impacts at keep Vince out of Brooklyn. Let WWE play in The Garden/Meadowlands, like they've been.

All in all, TNA needs to get out of the Impact Zone for at least the PPVs, let Orlando be the home base for your shows, but give the monthly events the big feel they deserve. Every PPV should be in a larger venue, in another market. NY/NJ, Philly, Chicago (BFG was there so thats a start), then LA, Vegas, Houston. All of these cities should get the chance to host PPVs.

I don't think moving to NYC is a good idea. I've lived in New York for my entire life and I have to say there is no venue here that can fit them. The Impact Zone is more modern but here in New York it will be hard to find any venue like that. I seriously doubt TNA can find a venue anywhere close to what Universal Studios can provide. Granted that they don't care how beatdown the venue looks but how will that translate on tv. It will look like they went a step down in production and ultimately that will affect viewership. NYC may be the media capital of the world but there are really no modern "small" venues here.

NOT A SMART MOVE . TNA NEEDS TO READ THE JIM CROCKETT HISTORY BOOK....

When Jim Crockett Promotions left their base in the Carolinas/ south east to travel to major cities, they lost millions of dollars and had tons of more expenses for several reasons: Being that they have very good contracts for low prices on venues, name branding in the area, fans that bought merchandise and fans that were hot.

When they decided to go on the road .... it went downhill.

TNA needs to get out of the Impact Zone but it needs to be done smarter.

For example,
they have are doing alot of house shows. They should do live tapings of at least 1 house show. It wouldn't add that more in hotel fees since TNA only goes to 3 tier cities where you can get rooms for about $50 .

Another Idea would be to move to another city in Florida , say Tampa where you could do a live show but have it as a house show. Or just go back to Nashville where you had larger crowds and the people love the product.

NYC is NOT where TNA needs to go. TNA GETS LESS PEOPLE AT THEIR SHOWS THAN the indys in the area. There is no way they will be able to draw a major crowd when there are at least 4 other indy promotions in the area [ CZW, ROH, JAPW, Evolve ] that have better shows without Hogan and Bischoff and put more butts in the seats.

TNA just needs to work on the content. And its not about production because ECW had NO production values and filled up arenas twice the size of TNA without a TV Contract and the bells and whistles. I was an ECW original fan and remember how packed the New Alhambra was for those shows. Even when the show went to Albany and Pittsburgh, they sold thousands of tickets with no production.

It's about content not the little cosmetics. TNA looks more professional than any other indy show but still isn't in the top two as far as attendance. So it speaks to the reason why people go to the show.

Jim Crockett didn't have production values near WWF but they had an amazing show that put butts in the Dorton Arena 15,000 every month. No music entrances, no pyro, no graphics. Just a ring, bell , program and concessions.

Content is Killing TNA not Location.

bad move, all their loyal fans in Florida wont be able to just move to NY, so they might have an empty arena... or new yorkers that don't know what they're doing watching wrestling. DONT MOVE

It Will be a bad idea if u dont kno how to use your enviorment coming to new york will be costly and at that u got some wrestlers who might not be up to the idea of moving tna needs to take things one at a time instead of going full force with intent on crashing into a brick wall

Its time for TNA to take risks. People up here are talking about how NYC is the home of WWE. Bullshit! NYC is not the same as Connecticut. Also when WWE is in NYC, they play the big arenas like MSG, they don't do the smaller venues like Manhattan Center anymore. The Hammerstein and the small venues are for the diehards and smarks and any wrestling company can do good in that territory. It's not like TNA will run shows in NYC and "WWE chants" will break out. If the original ECW was still around, TNA would have to be more worried about "invading their town". WWE is a sellout company. Diehards won't give TNA a hard time or shit on TNA for bringing their show to their city because it's "WWE turf". Lol!

I only think it could work if they dramatically change the content of the show. The office by now should realize that playing to the PG crowd is not going to work. New York is not where the PG crowd is. Where they already are is where they are. Doing what they're currently doing in a New York environment is not going to work. From what I understand, it already doesn't work when they do house shows.

Pray that TNA can hit the brakes and get it right before it's too late, because if they fail, it's gonna happen sooner than later. It's not too late, but they're well on their way.

I agree with most any reason to get out of Orlando. I'd prefer them to be on the road more often, but most of the new talent would balk at that (like RVD). I can't find much info about this location besides it's history, nothing on it's potential capacity. I'd guess, though, that New York would have plenty of fans ready to come see TNA. Plenty enough to even get rid of problems like the same idiot smarks sitting front row every damned show. Lariat is right about New York's costs though; it's gonna take A LOT of money to make this move. Money TNA might not have in it's coffers at the moment... (but Panda Energy and Spike Entertainment might)

Here's the thing. Right now TNA is pushing. They are trying hard to be seen as on the same level as WWE. I think they are fine being looked at as number 2 for the time being, but they want to be viewed as a healthy competitor.

The issue at hand is that they largely haven't been so far. This isn't intended as a knock on TNA, rather, just a fact that their ratings haven't been where they wanted them to be, and they have struggled. They have brought in new talent and are currrently trying to capitalize on that.

However, they have done so by mostly flying under Vince McMahon's radar, so to speak. Oh, I'm sure that he is fully aware of the developments going on down South, but he likely hasn't been horribly concerned by them. By and large, WWE has not been all that affected by what TNA has been doing to increase their share of the market.

For TNA, this has been a good thing. Without the resources that WCW had it's heyday, TNA simply cannot afford a direct confrontation with the WWE machine. They need to worm their way in be creative in how they alter the public perception of their product, all the while trying not to spend too much time in Vince's field of vision.

Moving to New York however, would be just the sort of thing to grab Vince's attention. And not in a good way. If MSG is the mecca of WWE, I'm sure that New York proper is seen as holy ground. TNA is easy enough to ignore when they stick far to the south and keep to themselves, but far harder to ignore when they are in WWE's backyard.

TNA needs to consolidate and build before it can make such a bold and confrontational move. They have a long list of things that need addressing, and honestly, location isn't near the top of that list. One day, when they have better positioned themselves and have changed the public perception of themselves as a distant number 2 to solid contender, maybe then could they pull it off. Right now though, they are better served shoring up the product than antagonizing a very powerful, and potentially spiteful man.

well i have to disagree with you a little bit here my friend. TNA should go on the road. It will attract mass amounts of fans and TNA will get a lot more popular. Little arenas like the iMPACT Zone isn't a good place to stay. TNA has to start going to bigger arenas like the WWE does. I mean look what it did for WCW. Obviously WCW was bought out by Vince but it made WCW a lot more popular. And even if they wanna just leave iMPACT! at the iMPACT Zone then thats fine. But they should move their major PPV's like Bound for Glory,Destination X,Turning Point etc. To bigger arenas. Now i don't mean arenas like Madison Square Garden. Arenas like you see RAW at every week. I think it would help TNA get more money and then eventually stay in arenas like that. It sure as hell worked for WCW and TNA is pretty much today's WCW.

I am strictly talking about the television audience when it comes to production. If TNA ever wants to be taken seriouslely and grow it needs to improve its television production big time. Watching a show live is much different and other than the die hards no one really cares about this.

TNA is a fn 'B' movie at best and everyone who doesn't have blinders on knows this. The average crowd who got interested because of hogan, the band and Hardy are now disinterested more than ever because of the lack of quality in the production that TNA has to offer.

In other words, TNA is not appealing to anyone right now except die hard wrestling fans because their TV production sucks donkey balls.

NOT A SMART MOVE . TNA NEEDS TO READ THE JIM CROCKETT HISTORY BOOK....

When Jim Crockett Promotions left their base in the Carolinas/ south east to travel to major cities, they lost millions of dollars and had tons of more expenses for several reasons: Being that they have very good contracts for low prices on venues, name branding in the area, fans that bought merchandise and fans that were hot.

When they decided to go on the road .... it went downhill.

TNA needs to get out of the Impact Zone but it needs to be done smarter.

For example,
they have are doing alot of house shows. They should do live tapings of at least 1 house show. It wouldn't add that more in hotel fees since TNA only goes to 3 tier cities where you can get rooms for about $50 .

Another Idea would be to move to another city in Florida , say Tampa where you could do a live show but have it as a house show. Or just go back to Nashville where you had larger crowds and the people love the product.

NYC is NOT where TNA needs to go. TNA GETS LESS PEOPLE AT THEIR SHOWS THAN the indys in the area. There is no way they will be able to draw a major crowd when there are at least 4 other indy promotions in the area [ CZW, ROH, JAPW, Evolve ] that have better shows without Hogan and Bischoff and put more butts in the seats.

TNA just needs to work on the content. And its not about production because ECW had NO production values and filled up arenas twice the size of TNA without a TV Contract and the bells and whistles. I was an ECW original fan and remember how packed the New Alhambra was for those shows. Even when the show went to Albany and Pittsburgh, they sold thousands of tickets with no production.

It's about content not the little cosmetics. TNA looks more professional than any other indy show but still isn't in the top two as far as attendance. So it speaks to the reason why people go to the show.

Jim Crockett didn't have production values near WWF but they had an amazing show that put butts in the Dorton Arena 15,000 every month. No music entrances, no pyro, no graphics. Just a ring, bell , program and concessions.

Content is Killing TNA not Location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back