Good snack food that's healthy but also filling?

Like Jello cups, or actual jelly? I could definitely buy some jello cups too. And Oatmeal like someone said is also a great idea. I've already been eating that.

I'm going to have to remember that Sodium Free Bouillon. I've tried Raman without the provided packet and instead used some spices I had laying around, but it tasted so bland I ended up just using the packet anyway. I'm guessing that the bouillon wouldn't do that. I'm sure buying the alternative noodles is a little better in the long haul, I think Raman would just be easier. All I do is put it in a bowl, fill it with water, and stick it in the microwave for three minutes and it works like a charm.

I'm not exactly a chef. The things in my recipe book that I can cook are Peanut Butter and Jelly, Raman noodles, and TV dinners. I'm the exact definition of a bachelor.

A healthier substitute for a ramen noodle packet (though nothing about ramen noodles is really that healthy. Enriched flour is terrible) would be putting tobasco sauce, or some other hot sauce in the water and cook it in there. Much less sodium there and the flavor is still good if you like spicy stuff.

Good advice, JJ. So I should eat more often during the day, and not less often? How big of portions though? Are you saying maybe eat a yogurt or two ever two hours? Then maybe two hours later have a few string cheeses?

Small meals. 5 small meals a day. Keep it healthy and lean. The biggest you'd want to go would be like a chicken breast with a side of mixed vegetables. Maybe one meal would be a cup or two of greek yogurt. Understand flavored greek yogurt has lots of sugar, but they do have 80-100 calorie flavored greek yogurt. Boiled eggs are always a good meal. Eat 3 of those, but only one yolk. The yolk has outstanding nutrition in it aside from the cholesterol (which always goes back and forth whether it's good or bad cholesterol). Also nuts are a very good source of nutrition and most of the fat content is the good fat you want. Same with peanut butter, but you have to start reading ingredient labels for everything. Many peanut butters use hydrogenated oil which everyone should avoid.

Usually my routine at the gym is I'll run for a good 5-10 minutes on the treadmill (trying to go for longer times, but right now I can usually do at least 5) then get off and do the machine circuit. Maybe interval with some step ups, do about 50 crunches/situps, and jump back on the treadmill for another five or so minutes and repeat until I've been there for two hours.

It's best to do any strength training/weight lifting before cardio. Also, your cardio needs to go longer than 5-10 minutes. At least 20-30. You need to get that heart rate up, and keep it up, for longer periods of time in order for a healthy respatory system and for fat loss. Slow the pace down as much as you need, just keep the heart rate in the proper zone for your goals.

Also, quick question, where do you live that bananas are so expensive? Grapes are way more expensive here.

Yea light snacking throughout the day. As long as it's low carbs. The reason behind this is because your body burns carbs, fat and protein, in that order, for energy. That's why skinny people load up on carbs to bulk up. Because if they have no fat, then after their carbs are buned away, it burns off the protein, which means the muscles won't be fed. With a fat person, you want to have no carbs so that your body goes to it's next source, fat. String cheese, fat free yogurt, eggs(especially whites), protein shakes are all good. Frequency is important because your body will adjust based on the inputs. Your metabolism will slow down then less often you eat, because it recognizes that food isn't going to be coming for a while and slows it down to make sure you don't die. Whereas if you eat often, your body recognizes that more food keeps coming in and it needs to work faster to digest it all. Also make sure you eat breakfast. The reason it's called breakfast, is because your body is fasting when you sleep. Your metabolism is slower in your sleep and to break the fast and speed it up, you need to eat. I'd recomend something with good fiber and some protein. Maybe some fiber one cereal and milk.

Another thing that raises metabolism is green tea. I drink a few green teas a day when I'm trying to lose. Not a premade one with axtra shit in it. Just a plain tea packet. Don't sweaten it. You're not drinking it to enjoy, you're just drinking it to lose weight. Spicy peppers, notably cayenne peppers, speed your metabolism. I've read that after eating spicy food, your body will burn up to 20% more calories during that first hour following. So sometimes I'll eat a spicy snack before bed.

When exercising, if you're not a good runner, then do this. Set the treadmill on maximum incline and set the speed somewhere between 3 and 4 mph(depending on what you're comfortable with) and powerwalk for a good 30 min. I did this more than actual running when I was overseas and was burning 6-800 calories per session. This is better for burning fat than long distance running. It keeps your heart in the fat burning range rather than the cardio range. With long distance running, you're increasing endurance, but after awhile you're body stops burning off fat and will begin to kind of store it so as not to deteriorate into nothing. It doesn't know how long it will be in the state of running so it compensates as such. You're body also adapts to doing the same activities, which will cause you to get less results when doing the same routines. That's why I mix up my exercises each week. So every now and then, instead of the uphill walk, do 30 seconds of all out sprinting and then 30 seconds of brisk walk or jog. Then repeat until you can no longer do 30 seconds of sprinting. Keep track of how many sprint intervals you do and try to get one higher the next time you do it. Boxing is great also. I was boxing everyday anytime I was at my peak. You're cardio flies through the roof, you get stronger and you burn fat. Start with 2 minute rounds and work your way up to where you can do 5 minute rounds.

When lifting, lift like a body builder. Train one to two muscles per day and lift heavy. Try lifting in the 8 rep range. This will build your muscles and cause your body to burn more calories even at rest. Now a lot of people say, well I don't want to get too big and bulky. I hate when people say this and want to slap them. It takes years to get really big. You don't start lifting heavy and then suddenly you're huge. It's a slow progression. This is just an effective way to build. You can always stop at any point that you feel you have reached the desired amount of muscle and switch to lower weights to maintain what you have already. Also, lifting heavy require a lot of energy. I can put up 135 on the bench over and over until my muscles fatigue and not be winded. But then put on 365 and do a couple reps and be slightly winded. This is because of the amount of effort required. So when shooting for an 8 rep range, use an amount of weight where you can't lift past 8. You're 8th rep should be a struggle. If you fail at 7, then that's just fine. Always take a protein shake right after because you have a 30 minute window after lifting where protein is highly essential to the muscles.

Hope this helps.

Oh yea, I forgot. Water intake. Drink at least one gallon of water per day but try and shoot for two. Drinking more water alone will help lose weight because your body will be more efficient. During wrestling training I drink a gallon during class alone(which is 4 hours). I've read a glass of water 30 minutes before breakfast helps you lose weight, but I've never experimented with this. But definitely drink a glass with every meal. Rock says he drinks 24 oz with each meal. Really cut out all of those artificial juices. With my experience, the more water I drink, the better it tastes. You'll crave it. If you must have something with flavor, I recommend the 0 calorie flavored water. But try to see if you can handle one month with water only and see how the results are. By the wau, how much do you weigh and what's your goal weight?

When lifting, lift like a body builder. Train one to two muscles per day and lift heavy. Try lifting in the 8 rep range. This will build your muscles and cause your body to burn more calories even at rest. Now a lot of people say, well I don't want to get too big and bulky. I hate when people say this and want to slap them. It takes years to get really big. You don't start lifting heavy and then suddenly you're huge. It's a slow progression. This is just an effective way to build. You can always stop at any point that you feel you have reached the desired amount of muscle and switch to lower weights to maintain what you have already. Also, lifting heavy require a lot of energy. I can put up 135 on the bench over and over until my muscles fatigue and not be winded. But then put on 365 and do a couple reps and be slightly winded. This is because of the amount of effort required. So when shooting for an 8 rep range, use an amount of weight where you can't lift past 8. You're 8th rep should be a struggle. If you fail at 7, then that's just fine. Always take a protein shake right after because you have a 30 minute window after lifting where protein is highly essential to the muscles.

This is not a good idea considering this guy sounds like a beginner and he wants to lose weight. Higher reps burns more calories. Not to mention a full body workout allows for shorter rest periods. He should be doing a workout that consists of full body, 3 times a week, and mostly compound exercises. Throw in some cardio on the in between days, plus one rest day and that's a good starting formula. Variation is good, but he's not trying to become a professional wrestler. He's just getting in shape.

Oh yea, I forgot. Water intake. Drink at least one gallon of water per day but try and shoot for two. Drinking more water alone will help lose weight because your body will be more efficient. During wrestling training I drink a gallon during class alone(which is 4 hours). I've read a glass of water 30 minutes before breakfast helps you lose weight, but I've never experimented with this. But definitely drink a glass with every meal. Rock says he drinks 24 oz with each meal. Really cut out all of those artificial juices. With my experience, the more water I drink, the better it tastes. You'll crave it. If you must have something with flavor, I recommend the 0 calorie flavored water. But try to see if you can handle one month with water only and see how the results are. By the wau, how much do you weigh and what's your goal weight?

This is good advice, but what I bolded is excessive for your average joe. You're training for professional wrestling. You need that much water. He doesn't. Chuck someone into the deep end of training and you'll scare them right out of the water. Any regular person will tell you even drinking a gallon of water a day is crazy.

Akhilleus, your OP was more important than anything in regards to simply cutting weight. Anyone who's studied diets knows that you don't even have to look at a gym if you want to lose weight. The primary factors in that is what you consume and how much you consume. The gym simply speeds up the process if used correctly. I know a girl who lost 92 pounds in 9 months and she's as lazy as anyone you'll ever meet, but she got on Weight Watchers and followed the program to a T. No one really needs a program to follow if they have enough knowledge. The most important thing is discipline.

This is not a good idea considering this guy sounds like a beginner and he wants to lose weight. Higher reps burns more calories. Not to mention a full body workout allows for shorter rest periods. He should be doing a workout that consists of full body, 3 times a week, and mostly compound exercises. Throw in some cardio on the in between days, plus one rest day and that's a good starting formula. Variation is good, but he's not trying to become a professional wrestler. He's just getting in shape.

If he is already lifting weights for 2 hours a day then his body is already used to handling weights. Switching to an 8 rep system would not be anything extreme. I'm not telling him to do drop sets, super sets, pyramids, negatives or power sets. Simply to get to the 8 rep range. The whole point is to streamline his process. To become more efficient at burning calories, having a leaner body will help. This means increase muscle mass. The fastest way to do so at a beginner level is by simply doing 8 reps.

-15+ reps- Doing a lot of reps is great for endurance and would really help him out if he were training for some sort of sport or wrestling.

-6-12 reps- This is the hypertrophy, or muscle growth range. This is what would help him to increase his caloric burn.

-1-5- reps is for power. This would be great if he was a powerlifter or trying to increase his numbers.

Doing higher reps doesn't necessarily burn more calories. I lose more weight when lifting at the 6-8 rep range than when i do light weights. I've used this method to train many people. I've had people challenge me to see who can lose the most on deployments. The groups that do the low rep range with full body workouts all end up with nice muscle endurance but lost significantly less weight than the groups training heavy. Body builders are masters of weight loss since they have to have almost no body fat. By only working one or two muscles per day, he can isolate the blood flow to those muscle to help achieve hypertrophy. It also allows him to recover longer between workouts. For instance if he has a chest day, then his chest would have an entire week to recover before going at it again vs 1 or 2 days. This is coming from 7 years of personal experience, training people, research. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, just saying mine has worked for many people including myself. I suffer from alcoholism, so my weight gets out of control at points and I rely on these techniques to make sure I slim down for military standards.

I know he is not trying to become a professional wrestler, that is why I did not give him my workout regimen that I currently use. I gave him the type of regimen I use when I'm just trying to get in shape for a fit test or drop weight for summer. My current regimen is way more extreme and is not for beginners at all.

This is good advice, but what I bolded is excessive for your average joe. You're training for professional wrestling. You need that much water. He doesn't. Chuck someone into the deep end of training and you'll scare them right out of the water. Any regular person will tell you even drinking a gallon of water a day is crazy.

Akhilleus, your OP was more important than anything in regards to simply cutting weight. Anyone who's studied diets knows that you don't even have to look at a gym if you want to lose weight. The primary factors in that is what you consume and how much you consume. The gym simply speeds up the process if used correctly. I know a girl who lost 92 pounds in 9 months and she's as lazy as anyone you'll ever meet, but she got on Weight Watchers and followed the program to a T. No one really needs a program to follow if they have enough knowledge. The most important thing is discipline.

A general rule of thumb is the minimum water intake being 1/2 a gallon per day. But if he is working out for two hours a day, then 1 gallon is going to be needed. I say shoot for 2 because when I shoot for 2 I at least get my first gallon in but much of the time never drink my second. I notice that when I shoot for one, I often get less than one. So shooting higher, especially for someone who isn't used to drinking water regularly will help get that 1 gallon minimum. Anything in excess of what his body needs will just be passed. The main thing to worry about is that your urine is always clear.

I agree that a diet alone will allow you weight loss. And as you said the gym speeds the process. I assume that he would like the results quicker especially as it is spring time and almost pool time. This is hardly the deep end of training.

The deep end would be running 1.5 miles 5:30am, going to work, running 4 flights of steps every hour, completing 100 reps of either dumbell curls, tricep extensions or delt raises. Conusming 300g of protein to include at least 3-4 shakes. Then after a 10 hour work shift going home and working the heavy bag for 15 minutes with no rest intervals, then hitting the gym isolating 2 muscles and using different routines each day which incorporate drop sets, super sets, negatives, pyramids, power sets, hypertrophy sets, endurance sets. Then going home and doing 100 push ups and 100 sit ups before bed. Then training 4 hours on Saturday at a wrestling school and then being a bruised up cripple on Sundays lol. That wore me down. I had to drop the 5:30 runs and sometimes don't do the boxing and/or stair running(although I walk them every hour. Toss in my excessive drinking after the gym, I was always exhausted.

Lots of good advice from both of you. I'm going to definitely try the incline treadmill thing tomorrow. I've been drinking a lot of water lately, as it's really the only thing I have around to drink, so I think I'm definitely at a gallon a day at least.

So doing the max incline thing on the treadmill on a lower speed will definitely be more productive, and works into what Fire Marshall Bill said too. I think I've been going too fast and too hard. If I go slower I'll definitely be able to go longer, and still burn the same amount of fat. And ironically enough, today I actually did do the circuit before I ran. Went full circle, then ended up jumping on the treadmill, exercise bike, and steps.

Starting next week and going into the next few months I'm unfortunately going to have less and less time to go to the gym, up until about August. But I'll be running more outside so I'll still be getting some exercise. I'll stay eating healthy, and I'm going to try more and more to do just simple exercises at home too. Such as squats, crunches. I was talking to my Dad on the phone just a little bit ago, and he suggested I do leg lifts too, and that those will help more than crunches to lose weight, and get rid of the big gut I have on my stomach.

I weigh 190 lbs, and while I wouldn't say I'm fat and chubby, I'm sort of bigger and I have a gut from years and years of unhealthy eating. 190 wouldn't be that bad if I wasn't so genetically impaired. At only 5'5 I'm definitely a little stocky. My ultimate goal is to lose my gut, and get down to 170 lbs, which is what I'm told an average height for my size.

My current snack right now (I've eaten two full meals today, once at 11, again at 2 because my metabolism has gone up, it's 5 now) is a Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Cliff Bar, pack of 6 peanut butter crackers (regular crackers), 3 oz of fruit snacks and what's left of my 32 oz water.

My last major gym routine (I went yesterday but it wasn't too tough because my roommate gassed out) was core day on Monday (though it was also a fairly reduced work out).

3 min plank.

100 reps on the ab curl machine (just works the center abs)

75 total reps on the ab crunch machine (center and obliques, 25 each)

Then some oblique rotations and stretches with weight.

Then a 1 min full (push up position) plank.

Today I think will be chest and back, provided time is available.

I could definitely get into some cliff bars and peanut butter crackers. Any specific brands for the crackers that are better for you and don't contain a lot of calories and sodium?

As far as the ab curl machine goes, I'm afraid that at this stage if I tried doing that real seriously, I'd end up tearing my stomach up without it being in shape yet. I'm definitely going to do just manual crunches and leg lifts first before I try to use an ab curl to avoid causing any damage.

I could definitely get into some cliff bars and peanut butter crackers. Any specific brands for the crackers that are better for you and don't contain a lot of calories and sodium?

As far as the ab curl machine goes, I'm afraid that at this stage if I tried doing that real seriously, I'd end up tearing my stomach up without it being in shape yet. I'm definitely going to do just manual crunches and leg lifts first before I try to use an ab curl to avoid causing any damage.

No special brands that I know of, today I just opted for the regular cracker ones as opposed to the cheese crackers.

The ab curl machine isn't bad, just don't overdo it on the reps. I've not tried my old full set yet, but I was able to max out the machine (it's like 225 lbs or something I think) for 400 total reps. But that was after months.

The ab curl machine for me is nice because it reduces stress on the back.

My diet is what I have to reign in. I've cut out soda and I'm tryin to reduce fast food as much as possible but my metabolism has kicked up. Today I had two quarter pieces of baked honey bbq chicken (leg/thigh), mashed potatoes, corn, the aforementioned snack of Cliff Bar/crackers/fruit snacks, then post workout I had two ham and turkey sandwiches and was still hungry and my roommate offered me Jack in the Box so I had that. But at the very least I had a ton of protein for my muscles since I'm trying to just get solid and thin is a bonus.

It will be better to eat the protein based foods for the healthy snacks.
I eat natural proteins specially yogurt, peanut butter, cheese, nuts, and green vegetables salads in my snacks. These foods burn the extra fat and improve the muscular health safely.

Do you eat all natural proteins, or just the ones you listed? I am sure there is one you may have forgot.

I'm on a no dairy diet for a while for some medical things so I've replaced string cheese with apple sauce. I think there are six cups in a pack.

Even with drinking soda still I've lost 4 lbs in the last week that I've been on the diet.
Even before then I was cutting down on portions and I had lost 10 pounds just from eating better.
At my house we eat a lot of potatoes and pasta and stuff and most of it has butter, cheese or milk and since I can't eat any of it I've just had fruit with every meal. Particularly pineapple.

So between better portioning and no dairy I'm down about 14 pounds in the past month or so.

Also like Darksideeric said. Smoothies are good and filling. There are pre made ones you can get called Naked juice. They're usually in or around the produce section or the organic section depending on how your stores are set up.

Flavoured tea are good for drinks. Mostly water, few calories, not very sugary and not caffeinated.

Smoothies are better than juices because they have more of the other bits of the fruit that contains things like vitamins not solely in the juice. Price wise and for clarity, it's better to make your own.

Generally lowering carbs and sugar is the way to go. Less bread and more real meat in your meals. And having sugar-free/diet drinks can often be harmful in other ways even if they contain less/no sugar. Best to try to ensure most of your sugar comes from things like fruit or starchy carb products like pasts that you might find it in in small doses.

For me, I find having a significant meal at regular intervals is a better way to avoid the problem of snacking in the first place. A hearty breakfast, lunch and dinner will cut down your inclination to snack, especially if you work it into being routine.

Get some healthy yogurt, some fruits and pistachios. Cut it all up, put it together in small sandwich bags and put them into the freezer. Pop them out an hour later and just chew on them.

Get on the wholegrain pasta

Blueberries

Tuna

Cous Cous

Chicken Salad with low fat Ceasar Sauce

No added sugar Cordial to drink.

Flavoured tea are good for drinks. Mostly water, few calories, not very sugary and not caffeinated.

Smoothies are better than juices because they have more of the other bits of the fruit that contains things like vitamins not solely in the juice. Price wise and for clarity, it's better to make your own.

Generally lowering carbs and sugar is the way to go. Less bread and more real meat in your meals. And having sugar-free/diet drinks can often be harmful in other ways even if they contain less/no sugar. Best to try to ensure most of your sugar comes from things like fruit or starchy carb products like pasts that you might find it in in small doses.

For me, I find having a significant meal at regular intervals is a better way to avoid the problem of snacking in the first place. A hearty breakfast, lunch and dinner will cut down your inclination to snack, especially if you work it into being routine.

Two good points.
I usually don't eat breakfast myself but on days that I do it tends to throw me off.
I tend to eat lunch and dinner around the same time each day unless something comes up. Lunch is usually at noon and dinner around six.

Having a routine in general can be really useful. Not just food related but day to day stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back