Going Bowling

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This season in college football, there are over 30 bowl games, including the BCS. That's nearly 70 teams going to bowl games. Why should so many teams get in? Many of these bowls are simply advertising vehicles for websites, with the names of the bowl only being a site's address. There is a possibility that many teams could go to a bowl game and finish the season with a losing record. My question is are there too many bowl games, or simply too low standards to reach one?

To me, the standards are too low. With there being 12 games a year for the majority of teams, 6 wins to reach eligibility is too few. With seven wins, if nothing else you are guaranteed to at least have a winning season upon reaching a bowl game. When the number of games increased, the requirements didn't. How is that fair?

So what do you think? Should the rules be changed, or kept the same?

Personally, I think bowl games are lame to begin with. Except for the BCS bowl games. Who gets excited about their team going to the Emerald Bowl, or something..? Eh? No one.

I understand that they make money and nothing it going to change, but I think it should.

Raise the requirement or take away bowl games. Then getting in would mean something.

Orrrr.. How about a playoff?! :) 64 teams. That would be epic! If only. Ha, it'd be like March Madness. But for football.. Interesting. I'm rambling now. Uh. Back on topic. I agree with KB. There are too many teams making useless bowls. Kinda stupid.

*Sigh*

Personally I think its a bit excessive aswell but we all know why they do it and that is obviously money. But I think for the most part most major schools dont take it too seriously when they get in the insight.com bowl or Heineke Car parts Bowl or whatever other lame bowl there is. But your non bcs schools that dont get to play on national TV much do take it seriously and it is a big deal to them. Plus it is kinda a reward for some of the kids that work hard all year. They get to play another game infront of a national audience and get a little bit of a vacation depending on where you play at. Some times you get a week down in Miami or some in Hawaii and other nice places. So even though I do think there is too much ultimately it doesnt effect me or bother me, anytime I get to watch more football its a plus.

The whole bowl game system needs revamped. It seems like every year there are a dozen new bowl games added and teams with a .500 record get to play in one. I understand that schools make money when reaching a bowl game, but the system is just an advertizement overload.
If you ask me, the bowl game system should be wiped out completely and a playoff system should be devised. Seeding can be arranged according to the Top 25 Poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back