• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gimmicks from late 80s and early 90s that would work today

S prince

Occasional Pre-Show
15-20 years ago, as you all know, wrestling was very different. There were much, much, much more gimmicks and "characters" if you will. Every single wrestler had their own weird and distinct personality. What I am asking, which wrestlers from this era would be successful with the same gimmicks today?

I think present day off the top of my head, Mr. Perfect, "Ravishing" Rick Rude, "The Model" Rick Martel would be absolutely perfect today. Three great heel wrestlers that are great on the mic. They never got the push they deserved because it was all about hulkamania and getting the company out there.

Val Venis did his best to immitate Rick Rude, and I even think if you did that gimmick again for Val, it might work again. There was Demolition who were a great stable, etc. etc.

The Rick Rude gimmick is being continued by John Morrison. I would love it if the WWE would let him go crazy on the mic and make his abs into a character unto themselves. He could use Rick Martel's gimmick as well.

I'm not sure about this, but the Undertaker gimmick might still work today.

Ted DiBiase's gimmick would work well today too. I think it would work better today. In the 80's unprecedented wealth was gained in this country. Now that people are losing this wealth, I think a Million Dollar Man is in order. JBL and Bobby Roode have both tried it, with HBK playing the role of Virgil.

Cena does the Hogan gimmick fairly well.

As I type this, I'm thinking, all the same gimmicks still exist, they are just a little more understated.

These gimmics would have to have the right people to carry them out though. But a few are Bobby The Brian Heenan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ric Flair(updated clothing), 4 Horsemen, Brainbusters, and maybe a Macho Man type gimmic that is more up to date. If played by themselves during their primes all these gimmics could work today

a Macho Man gimmick is already being done in TNA, in fact its a carbon copy of that gimmick. I think that a great one to use would be the MR. perfect gimmick as long as you found the right person to do it... and no Joe Hennig is not the right person for the job.

one gimmick i think that wont work anymoer is the Ulitmate w. batista is the kind of their but the only thing he does is shake the ropes. but i dont think ulitmates gimmick would not work anymore just because you have him self talking to him self all the time and people would just laugh at it now days. i would think that cryme time is doing to repo man gimmick. another one that would not work now days is the mounty guy..is that spelled right lol but his gimmick was kind of stupid..i dont know about the irs because people would know that hes really not in the irs but maybe something like that would work but thats just my two cents in this conversation

IRS - Would work, seeing our crappy economy, he could talk a lot of shit.

Doink - Kinda being carried on through Rey Mysterio (This is making fun of Rey for all you goober nerds out there)

Cena - Is the new Hulk, but needs a heel turn bad. Take the nwo for example.

Big Boss Man - An enforcer type dude would be good. Put them into Legacy and have him guard Orton all the time. Maybe take Umaga and civilize him, that would be funny.

Owen Hart - Should be main eventing now RIP. I see Dolph Zigler taking shape into an Owen. Taking Shortcuts like with Khali and the chair.

IRS -
Big Boss Man - An enforcer type dude would be good. Put them into Legacy and have him guard Orton all the time. Maybe take Umaga and civilize him, that would be funny.

Props to the Big Boss Man, as he was the very first person I thought of.

However, I want to see a person play his role as a modern-day brutal Prison Guard/Law Enforcement Officer as opposed to the Bodyguard-For-Hire role that he had under McMahon in the Corporation.

Other suggestions I feel would still work this day (in no particular order):

Goldust- the original Goldust (however we can't because of the rating .. however there is no doubt in my mind that the gimmick would be over huge if he could go full-blown heel again)

The Honky Tonk Man- we need another self-proclaimed Greatest of All Time character, that can sing and dance his way to the Gold, to antagonize the crowd by cheating his way to the Intercontinental Title, once again.

Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase- although I want to see his son take over as the Spoiled Brat and Heir to the Fortune role, with Dibiase Sr. involved periodically in his storylines.

Earthquake- we've been long overdue for another obese wrestler to be propelled into the Main Event once again as a dominant heel to take on a top Babyface. Of course, the IWC is going to be screaming like a bunch of spoiled brats that "Earthquake can't wrestle" and all that crap. However, at least there is some variance in characters with different gimmicks, which is badly, badly needed in this day ... as opposed to the norm.

Waylon Mercy- right person playing the part, however it was most unfortunate that he was in such awful shape, and had to retire so early. Fantastic, complex character that would be a great fit on the roster.

bruiser brody-i can see mike knox doing this gimmick

l.o.d.-spikes,face paint nd motorcycles will work nd really help the tag team division.

in response to lord sidious, your 10000% correct on Goldust. The original character of Goldust was dark, creepy, perverse, but you still wanted to see him and what he was going to do. If Dustin Rhodes lost a few lbs and got back into respectable shape, I think he would be great again instead of the comedic jobber now. Maybe he can even start a feud with Cody Rhodes.

I agree with Fuel. I think the Ultimate Warrior would be awesome if used today. Batista uses his taunt, but thats about all he does with that gimmick. The warrior gimmick was over big time in the 90s, but it can easily go over again.

I have to agree with Big Boss Man as well. That was actually what I thought they were going to originally do with Ezekiel Jackson, as opposed to the HBK-Diesel copy. That could be something I can see Knox pulling off if he trimmed his beard and cut his hair.

As for an original pick I have to say Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat could be an amazing gimmick in the hands of someone like Bourne or Ricky Ortiz. I only say Bourne because of his wrestling style, but with Ortiz's look and wrestling style it would look better.

REALLY!!!!! Come on people the question was what gimmics would work today that were used in the 80's. No one today would cheer the Warrior. He paints his face, has terrible promos that say nothing, cant work in the ring, ties little ribbons on his arms...wait a minute terrible promos, terrible ring attire, cant wrestle, well maybe it will work KANE STILL HAS A JOB!!!!

Ted DiBiase's gimmick would work well today too. I think it would work better today. In the 80's unprecedented wealth was gained in this country. Now that people are losing this wealth, I think a Million Dollar Man is in order. JBL and Bobby Roode have both tried it, with HBK playing the role of Virgil.

Completely agree, the WWE came close with JBL's gimmick but not close enough. They need another character who buys his way to the top despite not being the biggest or the best. This gimmick is custom made for heat and storylines. For example MITB, the wrestler in this gimmick could try to buy this for a championship shot from a conflicted ace e.g. Shawn Michaels in his feud with JBL. Aside from this and a few others, gimmicks should not be repeated too much, they are good once but often feel like cheap ripoffs if not done properly.

Many characters are used again and again that it is hard to decide. Some that have been said have been recycled apparently, though not exactly. Ultimate Warrior relates with Batista, Ted DiBiase relates with JBL, Hulk Hogan relates with John Cena, seems the Harts are coming back, and all that.

If they were to bring back one character from that time period that hasn't been completely recycled, though this may be argued, I will say Sergent Slaughter.

Slaughter, a member of the armed forces is a great character. John Cena may have his Marine character about him, but that is not the Slaughter I am relating to. His heel persona, as the Iraqi sympathizer was a great character that grew incredible heat. Now this character will have to be updated and rearranged to fit modern times, so I picture the new character as a Iraq War Veteran who fought for his country, and came back to nothing. He would come out and boycott the American Anthem, saying that the nation turned his back on them, so he is turning his back on the nation.

He could draw incredible heat from the audience, even as I write this, I can picture the heat he will receive. He can even have incredible feuds with the more patriot characters in the WWE. If they choose the right talent, I can see a great feud with John Cena happening, that could have a great match at The Great American Bash, or Summerslam, a great summertime feud.

REALLY!!!!! Come on people the question was what gimmics would work today that were used in the 80's. No one today would cheer the Warrior. He paints his face, has terrible promos that say nothing, cant work in the ring, ties little ribbons on his arms...wait a minute terrible promos, terrible ring attire, cant wrestle, well maybe it will work KANE STILL HAS A JOB!!!!

See, the thing is that I have no problem with gimmicks and characters in wrestling, as long as they aren't cheesy. I do agree with you that an Ultimate Warrior character definitely would not work in today's wrestling. And that was noticeable from the last couple times he appeared. His pops were terrible. The arena was practically silent when he made his entrance.

But as far as other gimmicks that have been mentioned, the phrase I keep hearing tossed around is that "gimmicks insult my intelligence". How do gimmicks "insult one's intelligence", exactly? If all of us are smart enough to know that we are watching a scripted television show, which all of us are, I really don't see the problem with having characters and gimmicks in wrestling, and nor do I see how it "insults your intelligence". You are watching a television action series with athleticism. You are not watching a sport.

Many of the characters I have seen mentioned in this thread I feel would still be appropriate. Insane people. People with masks. Wealthy snobs. Elvis Impersonators. I have zero problem with any of that stuff. Nor did I even have a problem with Doink The Clown (as a Heel ... him as a Face is a different story).

Examples of gimmicks I would have a problem with them doing in this day and age (because I think they would be received terribly) would include:

TL Hopper
The Goon
The Red Rooster
The Missing Link
Bob Spark Plug Holly
Aldo Montoya

and other cheesy gimmicks along those lines. A lot of the New Generation stuff.

One that I definitely say needs to come back is another Million Dollar Man. Lots of people already said that JBL tried it, but now he's gone and it's time for another money-making mastermind to take center stage and be a thorn in every face's side. Somebody saying the he makes more money than you is automatic heat.

I would personally love to see a Jim Cornette style manager, complete with the 100 mph promo. Managers do best when they're the most annoying sons of bitches you've ever heard. Like Cornette, Jimmy Hart with the megaphone shouting things all day, Bobby Heenan being Bobby Heenan, Melina with her primal scream, and Daivari constantly shouting Arabic obscenities at people. Hell, just managers in general should come back.

I think a nationalist like the Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff today should be in order. If you have been searching for a gimmick for Vladimir Kozlov, this would be it. Talking every week about how Russia is better than the US. This has been done a million times, but I don't think it ever gets old. As long as Americans have a problem with a certain country, they will boo those who are from that certain country.

I also think that another guy like "The Model" Rick Martel is in order.

It's kind of been rehashed already with the Hardy Boys, but I believe a Rockers gimmick would be perfect for the fan base the WWE is trying to reach.

With a PG rating, Marty Jannetty and Shawn Michaels would kill with the kids, the same as Matt and Jeff killed with the kids during the Attitude Era.

Unfortunately, that means tag team wrestling would have to become relevant once again and that's not happening anytime soon in the "E".

Hi I'm new here but have been a wrestling fan since my memory allowed me to remember.
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth about gimmicks,

Vampiro/Gangrel style character....The best the wwe had recently was boogeyman and they dropped him like a hot rock.
Must say I agree with others about having another million dollar man or just remake ted jr into a carbon copy of his father so they can go with the storyline that it was the richest man in wrestling who brought the undertaker to the wwe it should be right for the son/and newest rich man to take him out????
Brian pillman.....I assume thats where they are going with the brian kendrick????
Rockers....although I thought that was tried with kendrick and london?
The Godfather....say no more lol
Power and Glory.......Mike knox and evan bourne?cena?

Hmmm............ Mantaur. Yes, I think Mantaur would work now.

Actually, I'm going to try and name a group that no one else has, and go for Men on a Mission.

Yes, I realize they were absolute shit in the ring. But the gimmick of two rapping fat boys worked so well. Like it or not, this team was WAY over. Besides that, remember the WWE has to appeal to a PG audience.

Us internet folk won't like it. But the kids will eat it up. For some strange reason, kids loved the idea of two fat men rapping in the 90s. It got over much more than it ever deserved to (Right, KB?). Now then, you would have to modernize the look a bit. I don't see purple and gold working, but maybe something along the lines of what rappers wear nowadays. Maybe like what Joel Gertner use to wear in ECW? Or perhaps typically what you'd see someone like Fat Joe wear. Perhaps even like what Three Minute Warning use to wear.

Give them a rapping entrance, and team them up with R-Truth. R-truth is of course the leader, and this becomes an effective stable on Smackdown, in which Stables are completely lacking.

Just thought of a few more that could do with the dust wiping off.

Lex luger/ rick martel/paul orndoff/rick rude....someone who loves themself more then the sport
Bad news brown......Ezikel jackson?
Bob Buckland...someone very straight laced but has a nice mean streak
Bushwachers/godwins/headbangers style tag teams again
Don Marroco huge heel great babyface too
koko b ware or anyone who can keep a parrot from flying off while sitting at ringside
Powers of pain....Snitsky and knox???
tatanka gotta have some native american vibe they have samoans why not native(ish) indians?
Disco inferno or is that dj gabriel?
A good manager who annoys everyone like jimmy hart, bobby heenan, brother love?
Mankind someone so not with it they'd happily take a shot to the head for fan reactions, lose a ear? fall off a cage....Jeff hardy's close but his not as intimadating as mankind was, great with his mind games

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back