Getting rid of Hell In A Cell, Money In The Bank and TLC Events

Discussion in 'WWE Discussion' started by CrazyBobBacklund, Mar 15, 2019 at 2:58 PM.

1. CrazyBobBacklund

CrazyBobBacklund Dark Match Jobber

Over the past decade WWE has started to soil these special match types for money in the bank, hell in cell and tlc by having shows with a number of each match type in each ppv, especially tlc which has grasped at straws coming up with such matches as ‘stairs’ and ‘chairs’ matches-seriously has anyone been excited by any of these??!
    I think to bring excitement and prestige to these iconic match types again WWE needs to scrap these ppvs. Bring back the money in the bank match at mania for both males and females which could utilise a lot of stars without meaningful storylines, have a tlc match about twice a year, then make HIAC once every year or every other year to settle a long term feud.
    Are there any other ppv types you’d scrap? Or maybe some of you disagree?

2. Aquaman6686

Aquaman6686 Mid-Card Championship Winner

I'd get rid of all the "gimmick" B PPVs except for Elimination Chamber, and bring back the classic PPVs like Vengeance, Judgment Day, No Mercy, etc. The only gimmick PPV I'd bring back is Night of Champions.

CrazyBobBacklund likes this.
  3. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Personally, i don't mind gimmick PPV mostly because they feel different from the normal PPV. The only one i would take out would be extreme rules mostly because they don't really want to go full on extreme anymore so what'S the point of having it.

4. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

From a TV perspective ditching the gimmick PPVs makes total sense. However, my guess is that gimmick B-PPVs average a better gate (especially with pre-orders) than non-gimmick B-PPVs at the same time of year.

5. CrazyBobBacklund

I 100% agree with this. Elimination chamber should however crown the no.1 contender to the second main title match at mania though rather than involve the champ.

6. CrazyBobBacklund

Extreme rules is a mockery of its name. Especially with all the concussion lawsuits meaning it’s only ever body blows. Do hell in a cell matches feel special to you still though? I couldn’t even remember the matches from last years one :s

7. CrazyBobBacklund

I suppose there some logic there with the buy rates

8. CrazyBobBacklund

Another gimmick one I wouldn’t mind a return of is king of the ring as long as they didn’t keep rehashing the “I’m a king” gimmick that only Harley race, Jerry lawler and Booker t (oh and Jimmy King ) mastered.

9. Psykohurricane55

Staff Member Moderator

Sometimes when the matches are build to end a current feud last year wasn't great with strowman and reigns but the hardy/orton one was awesome. The year before they had 2 awesome matches. So it depends how the ppv is booked.

10. shooter_mcgavin

shooter_mcgavin Mid-Card Championship Winner

Some would argue is that gimmick PPV's are used to hide the WWE's inability to have compelling feuds and stories.

So yes I think gimmick PPV's need to go for all the reasons specified earlier.

I mean we still need the traditional Royal Rumble and Survivor Series PPV's since that's part of the WWE tradition but I don't think people are saying the same about Elimination Chamber or MITB.

I'd also like to go one step further and say we need to get rid of MITB and these gimmick PPV's. I have many reasons but I'm too tired to explain in detail.

11. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

I disagree with getting rid of the gimmick brand pay per views. Say what you will about how having a show devoted to a given match type "sucks" but what is worse to me is in the old format. What exactly was the difference between Unforgiven and No Mercy, for example? Literally the exact same show but with a different name. The gimmick shows give the lower tier events something to set them apart. Money In The Bank should stay. It's the 5th biggest show of the year. Night Of Champions should come back now that we have so many titles it is perfect for a show that's a bigger deal in today's WWE. TLC needs to stay. Unlike the other gimmick brands it is centered around up to 4 different match types. Heck, you can make it 5 if you bring back the Stairs match we got a few years back. Tables match, ladders match, chairs match, TLC match, all in one show. TLC has got to stay. Now if we're talking about removing useless brands, let's get rid of Fastlane and Battleground. Completely pointless shows. There's a lot of older brands that could be brought back to replace them whether it be classics like King Of The Ring or even Over The Limit. Gimmicky low tier shows are better than having a bunch of shows that are identical other than their name.

12. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

I think it would be funny if WWE just named a PPV something like WWE 1,278 (or whatever number they are on) as a parody of UFC. Like oh, UFC just had UFC 300, hold my beer.

13. Psykohurricane55

Staff Member Moderator

Personally, the only reason i want them to keep the gimmick ppv is that since they actually want to have a ppv every months, they make the show stand out from every thing else the wwe produce. They tried having just normal ppv and while the feuds were interested, the shows felt like watching a episode of raw with the execution.

The thing is that with all the product they are producing right now, it's really hard to comes up with great feuds especially when you see them wrestled each other on raw every week. At less that way, we get something special. The system isn't perfect i rather they would go back to the 5 ppv format they had in the early 90's then what they have now because it was easier to build feud and interesting stories when they had 2 or 3 months between ppv instead of 3 weeks but that won't happen so that way at less, we don't have to fill like we are watching a sunday night raw every months and some of them like MITB is being threated like a big event and not just a holdover like fastlane or backlash are.