• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Getting a Pop for Pop?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Two recent reports/pieces from the main page have hinted at the idea that, even if ever so slightly, (A) TNA may be looking to sign a “big name” for the January 5th debut on Pop TV, and (B) both Mad Braddox (formerly Brad Maddox) and Sami Callihan (formerly Solomon Crowe) could or should debut for the company’s Pop debut.

Admittedly, with the majority of WWE/NXT’s more recent prospects and performers, my knowledge on them is next to zero seeing as I haven’t watched WWE in years. That said, I do know that Callihan apparently dated, or is dating former TNA Knockout, Havok, whom I believe the company left on good terms with, and Braddox does seem young enough (age 31) and underused enough that TNA may see value where he won’t be coming in with the kind of stink on him others have, effectively undercutting whatever potential they had to “make an impact”. If my memory serves, EC3, for example, was brought in at the age of 30, and TNA was able to completely re-brand him as their top heel in less than two years. Ditto for Eli Drake, who they picked up at 32.

I’d have to defer to the expertise of others on whether either of these two is of much value to TNA, but I do think they’d be wise to debut at least one new talent for the Pop TV move, and hopefully someone the company can mold and craft a la EC3. Sorry, Goldberg, but it’s 2015/16. You aren't what they need, even if they wanted you. They need something new. Something they can bank a future in. Especially because they’ll probably never have a better opportunity to impress what should be a significant boost in viewership (even if it’s only that night), and outside of crowning a new champion on air, nothing gets folks talking quite as well as a new signing in this industry. I want another Desmond Wolfe. Another EC3. Another Eli Drake.

So, who’d you like to see brought in — Braddox and/or Callihan? Some other free agent? If we agree that getting at least one new performer can help to create a pop for Pop, who is a realistic target?

Callihan by roughly 8,000 miles, but either way it's not going to mean anything.

Brad Maddox was a goofy guy who looked like he was fresh out of college where he might have played on some intramural teams. He was decent in OVW years ago and a bit better in FCW but he's as generic as you can get for the most part.

Callihan could be something if they use him properly, but his impact would be limited as well. He has a lot of potential under the right gimmick and the tiny monster really wasn't worth anything. Callihan would be the better option but neither guy is going to do much.

TNA is long past the point of one guy meaning anything unless Steve Austin or John Cena is walking through that curtain. Callihan is definitely a better option here but it would get a mild reaction at best.

I'm not asking for a savior. I'm asking for some fresh bleed to liven the discussion up. Desmond Wolfe, not RVD. EC3, not Booker T. Eli Drake, not Mr. Anderson (even though he's turned in some fine work).

I'm not asking for a ratings-buster. I'm asking for someone who can help give January 5th some pop and buzz that'll actually carry over. I fully expect/hope TNA will head to Pop with a bigger number than what they've been averaging right now. Maybe not the 1.1 million they were averaging on Spike, but certainly not the 220 thousand they're averaging either. Something in the middle. All those new eyes will basically be treating January 5th as a litmus test for whether they'll watch January 12th.

Wolfe is the perfect example of what I am looking for. Someone coming in, making an immediate impact, and that impact impressing fans enough to keep them watching the next week, and the week after that.

I'm not asking for a savior. I'm asking for some fresh bleed to liven the discussion up. Desmond Wolfe, not RVD. EC3, not Booker T. Eli Drake, not Mr. Anderson (even though he's turned in some fine work).

I'm not asking for a ratings-buster. I'm asking for someone who can help give January 5th some pop and buzz that'll actually carry over. I fully expect/hope TNA will head to Pop with a bigger number than what they've been averaging right now. Maybe not the 1.1 million they were averaging on Spike, but certainly not the 220 thousand they're averaging either. Something in the middle. All those new eyes will basically be treating January 5th as a litmus test for whether they'll watch January 12th.

Wolfe is the perfect example of what I am looking for. Someone coming in, making an immediate impact, and that impact impressing fans enough to keep them watching the next week, and the week after that.

Neither of those guys is going to get buzz. Callihan never made it to the main roster and Maddox was a lower level guy than DJZ is in TNA. Of the two, Callihan is the better option but he has to be booked in a certain way and TNA isn't likely to do something like that.

Neither one of the names is worth bringing in for a network debut. Maddox's GM run alone makes him identifiable as a nowhere superstar, and I doubt they can clean him off from that, and Callihan was never big enough that most fans won't even know who he is unless they get told.

it feels like NXT is absorbing most the younger talent so there's not many notable free agents available.

For a network debut, a name like Goldberg can generate some buzz, but I think that topic pretty much summed up that his novelty would wear off within 1 ppv cycle because he's too old to really do anything besides nostalgia spots.

I'm drawing a pretty big blank on any open young talent that's really recognizable from the WWE side of the fence, and I haven't been keeping up with ROH recently.

For credibility JR on commentary. To draw in casual viewers John Hennigan/Morrison/Mundo, the guy still has plenty to offer and even though he is mainly recognised from his WWE days he is not seen as a 'WWE guy", Andrew Everett and Trevor Lee will be two fresh faces we will be seeing a lot of as both have already signed with the company and both have a ton of talent. But if you are after a HUGE Pop you have to throw everything at CM Punk, extremely unlikely they will sign him but if he wants to wrestle again on a lighter schedule they may be a chance especially with Angle retiring they may have some extra dollars available.

I've dropped off TNA since a lot of my favourite guys left/weren't as prominent such as AJ Styles, Aries, Daniels. But I'm going to give it another shot with this network change and hope they sort things out and make it as enjoyable as I found it a few years back.

Unfortunately there isn't anyone. Adam Cole is has a new contract. ReDragon are getting a a new contract with ROH or going towns up in NXT. Elgin and Lethal both have NXT/WWE aspirations. If they go the NJPW route you will get out bid. There are rumors of 7 fugue deals being possibilities. Lucha Underground is just flat out special. It's by far the best wrestling show since The Wolves, Steen, Generico and the Broscoes were in ROH. People aren't leaving there. You have the Hardys (cough! cough! no one cares). A Goldberg run would ultimately just damage his legacy. So honestly do what they did with Carter and try to keep building stars. They are on the right track with EC3. The kid is money. If you had to twist my arm I would say Sami but I don't think he goes to TNA. Unfortunately it seems like you get looked at differently if you end up there after the WWE/NXT. Its not really a positive. You got leaving there to try to get to NXT. Why would you leave from NXT to go to TNA. I thing he ends up in Lucha Underground. That would be awesome. But Maddox would be a better fit honestly. He, EC3 and Brodus can cut some anti WWE promos. Maddox was a good promo guy and can take a hell of a bump. It sorta works. But that won't me heads tune in. But it would be good TV.

I've dropped off TNA since a lot of my favourite guys left/weren't as prominent such as AJ Styles, Aries, Daniels. But I'm going to give it another shot with this network change and hope they sort things out and make it as enjoyable as I found it a few years back.

And you are exactly their target audience IMO. Whatever they bring for 1/5/16 needs to be impressive enough and lasting enough to pique your interest to watch again the next week, and the week after. This can't just be a one-off. Whatever buzz is generated needs to have carry-over appeal so folks like you (and me lately) come back and stick around.

Unfortunately there isn't anyone. Adam Cole is has a new contract. ReDragon are getting a a new contract with ROH or going towns up in NXT. Elgin and Lethal both have NXT/WWE aspirations. If they go the NJPW route you will get out bid. There are rumors of 7 fugue deals being possibilities. Lucha Underground is just flat out special. It's by far the best wrestling show since The Wolves, Steen, Generico and the Broscoes were in ROH. People aren't leaving there. You have the Hardys (cough! cough! no one cares). A Goldberg run would ultimately just damage his legacy. So honestly do what they did with Carter and try to keep building stars. They are on the right track with EC3. The kid is money. If you had to twist my arm I would say Sami but I don't think he goes to TNA. Unfortunately it seems like you get looked at differently if you end up there after the WWE/NXT. Its not really a positive. You got leaving there to try to get to NXT. Why would you leave from NXT to go to TNA. I thing he ends up in Lucha Underground. That would be awesome. But Maddox would be a better fit honestly. He, EC3 and Brodus can cut some anti WWE promos. Maddox was a good promo guy and can take a hell of a bump. It sorta works. But that won't me heads tune in. But it would be good TV.

While I agree that there is most definitely a trend of passing over TNA for greener pastures like NXT, I wholly disagree with this dismissive attitude that no one would sign there. Just last year and a half alone they picked up Galloway, brought back Kong, signed Matt Hardy to an exclusive deal, signed Josh Matthews, were in the mix for ADR/AEP and made a "Hogan-sized offer" to CM Punk.

Not everything works out, and there've been more talents exiting than entering over the last 18 months, but the idea they are a leper that no talent would touch is just not true.

It would be cool if they brought in someone with meaning. If TNA did not burn their relationships in the past with AAA or NJPW they could grab a few of their top performers to get NJPW/AAA fans to tune in. Then all TNA would have/must do is push them correctly to not piss the newer or returning fans off. They could then truly use their talent relationship correctly which is currently what ROH is doing.

It would be cool to see some guys come in such as Shelly or Aj Styles. Would i settle for Mad Braddox sure as long as used correctly. I have hope again for a show I have not watched in months now. I do have PopTV so I hope TNA does well. Be different and stay different.

According to the Wrestling Observer, following 2015 talent losses including names like Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, James Storm, Kenny King and MVP, TNA is currently looking to sign some top free agent names prior to the company’s debut on POP TV in January.

TNA is looking to re-sign currently contracted names whose contracts are set to expire soon, namely The Hardy Boys, and the company is also looking to lock down a few top free agent names so the company can provide some surprises for its live Impact Wrestling POP TV debut on January 5th.

TNA reportedly wants talents to be free and clear of any contractual obligations, and while not necessarily a deal breaker in certain situations, the company does not want talents who are under New Japan Pro Wrestling deals.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/653...rprises-during-live-debut#LPA3OjAAF0u4bRHT.99

--

I know the free agent market isn't exactly rife with uncontracted talent right now, but given the critera, I'd take a run at some DGUSA talent — AR Fox, Chuck Taylor, Chris Hero and maybe even Colt Cabanna?

Well all three men's divisions in TNA could do with a little boost & I think Shelton Benjamin would be a good fit in TNA.

Benjamin can main-event, boost the X-Division or be part of the tag-division as well, I know Haas only wrestles occasionally, but TNA's schedule might interest him and a Wolves v TWGTT feud sounds good.

I think with the debut on POP we might see something continuing from BFG when Shane Helms came out and raised Tigre Uno's hand, planting the seeds of a feud perhaps?

Ales Shelley would be another I would like to see re-sign with TNA, Shelley is good on the mic and adds power to the X-Division.

Chris Hero, Sami Callihan, Richochet, Paul London. Any of these guys would be good signings but I'm not sure what contracts they are locked into at the minute.

Shelley doesn't fit the criteria if he's still contracted to NJPW with the Timesplitters. Much as I'd like to see him return, I doubt it's feasible.

Richochet is another guy who is probably unavailable. He also works with NJPW and is contracted to Lucha Underground.

The rest are probably available. Benjamin might make an impact (no pun intended). He's got value as a free agent for sure.

It's simple. You back an armor truck up to CM Punk's front door and MAKE him sign. Fire dead weight like Tenay, Hemme, Borash, Al Snow, Abyss, Crazy Steve, Sgt Melendez, Mahalbi Shera, Rockstar Spud, Mandrews, Grado.

Then go out and sign Michael Bennet and Maria Kanellis, The Young Bucks, and AJ Styles. Heck even give Daniels and Kazarian another shot.

Sounds like Bennet and Kanellis are headed to TNA:

According to PWInsider.com, Ring of Honor stars Mike Bennett and Maria Kanellis finished up with the company at last night’s TV tapings in Philadelphia. The report notes that the real life couple could not agree to a new deal with ROH.

The departure of Kanellis and Bennett did not come as surprise to many in ROH, as the feeling for awhile now was that the two would be leaving the company. Their departure likely means they are finished with New Japan as well.

Regarding their futures, Kanellis and Bennett were reportedly telling people that they will be starting with TNA in January.

--

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/654...ey-will-be-heading-to-tna#JarmSsyyCzD6ZWeR.99

--

If I recall correctly, TNA tried to bring them in in early 2015 as well, no?

I think Bennett and Kannellis could make waves in TNA. If they could get Taven in March that would be great. (By the way, just bought tickets for ROH in Jan. Hate that I won't see these two on action). I'd like to see Bennett go over a guy like Bobby Roode or Matt Hardy. Start off with a feud not for the title, but feels important. They could steal the storyline of From RoH of Hardy being a mentor and leaving. Bennett could even cost Hardy the semifinal match of the world title tourney.

I don't know what Ciampa and Gargano's status with NXT is, but I'd reach out to them. I think they could add something to the show.

I'm guessing will see Brad Maddox.

The guy I wanna see back and I'm probably the only one is Gunner. I'd love to see him come back to form a tag team with Bram. The Modern Day Vikings. I could see them just being an updated version of a team like the road warriors. Just beat guys down.

The other thing I'd like to see TNA do is use some more enhancement talent. Not a lot, but have a few guys like John Skyler, Cory Hollis, Jake Manning, Caleb Konley, Ethan Case etc be regulars who you knew weren't going to win, but could put on a quality match. Guys who are there to give guys like Eli Drake, Bram, Micah, etc a win without damaging another guys push.

Either way, if I'm TNA, I'm focusing my "new" impact on the following:

Main Event: ECIII, Lashley, Bram, Drake, EY, Roode, Bennett, and Galloway. I'd have Hardy in this group, but I'm not buying him as a face of the company.

As a type this...who are the tag teams left in TNA...the Wolves and ???

And by the way, if WWE won't let Daniel Bryan wrestle... I would throw every spare penny I had at Brian Danielson and bring in the American Dragon to TNA..

The problem is will TNA be able to offer GUARANTEED contracts to these guys? It is nice to say "Get him! Sign him! Bring him in!" But, unless you are guaranteeing salaries, many of these guys will stay put. People like Colt Cabana make a mint on the Indy scene. Dixie would have to offer him somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-400K per year to make it worth his while. Bennet and Kanellis really have no place to go to other then the Indies and TNA. ANd, I doubt Dixie will pay them what they were getting at RoH/NJPW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back