General Discussion Thread *video games tourney*

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
b185380659.jpg

Well ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages...it's coming soon, the video games tourney. The question is...who do you pick to win? What game do you think will win? What will be your dark horse game? Can you see any upsets?

Please don't use this thread for spamming though!

The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past.

250px-Zelda_SNES.jpg

Format; SNES

Genre; Action RPG

Release date; UK; 24th September 1992

Plot;
To save Hyrule, Link is required to rescue the seven descendants of the Seven Sages from dungeons scattered across the Dark World.

Why my pick?
If you have never played this game SHAME ON YOU this and OOT are two of the greatest games ever made, the reason I chose this over OOT is there were too many glitches that annoyed me on replay on OOT whereby ALTTP was smooth sailing!

zelda_1.jpg

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super_Mario_Bros_3_boxfront.jpg

Format; NES

Genre; Platform

Release date; Japan, 1988; United States, 1990; Europe, 1991

Plot;
Mario and Luigi must save the rulers of seven kingdoms (and Princess Peach) from Bowser. The two brothers must travel across eight worlds to restore order to the Mushroom World.

Why my pick?
Simply put, a game you would love for any generation, this solidified the Mario Bros. as legends of the gaming world. Awesome game play, the variety of enemies and powers adds depth and fun. Entertaining and challenging, no game has emulated the 17.2 million copies it sold from a SINGLE console (still a world record). If you don't think it's amazing, then you were one of the small percentage who didn't a. Have a console b. Owna NES or c. Was just down right crazy! A proven success and a game that has enormous re-play value!
PS - Raccoons can fly and Big Green Boots rule!

smb3NES.jpg

PS - Raccoons can fly and Big Green Boots rule!

ah Mario Bros 3...if ever there was a game that was overated it was this....I love it, it's brilliant, but when I play the NES version I get frustrated at how dirty it looks!

Nice, this sounds amazing man! Should have some real fun with this tourney, are you going to be posting a full list of games included pretty soon?

I'm already predicting a victory for either Ocarina of Time or GTA. Maybe FF VII. The usual video game greats.

Man...I would shove an old woman down a flight of stairs to get my hands on a copy of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. So ridiculiously fun, wasted hours of my youth on the N64 with that and Goldeneye.

My wholehearted support goes to this man:

lsl3boxart_2.jpg

I'll also be pulling for the Resident Evil, Sonic, Mega Man and Twisted Metal franchises. I have never really been a fan of Mario or Zelda, so I definitely don't plan on backing those two franchises, or any games of theirs that may make an appearance in this tournament.

Yeah, I'm pretty much a fan of adult-oriented games. Oh, and if Night Trap gets in, I will mark out:

Night_Trap_Cover.jpg

ah Mario Bros 3...if ever there was a game that was overated it was this....I love it, it's brilliant, but when I play the NES version I get frustrated at how dirty it looks!

I prefer the NES version to the Allstars one, although I think the only difference was that the air ship things are different colours in the NES one and all woodesque in the SNES one. Observant child me. Anyway, I shall be heavily backing any Donkey Kong game that makes the cut, specifically if it is part of the Donkey Kong Country franchise. I really cant believe the graphical quality of those games, considering they were still only 16 bit. They were also a bit more in depth and enjoyable than the Mario games of the time. So, yeah I'm backing Donkey Kong.

I'm not that clued in really, but I think I've owned something from every generation since the NES, so I'll try. It all depends really, I've only ever had a maximum of ten games on each platform bar PSone, but I'm looking forward to the tournament anyway.

ffviibox1zj.jpg

This is the one game I'll be pulling for the most. Final Fantasy VII may have been a latter installment, but it was arguably the most highly anticipated and over-played game in the entire Franchise. Before this, I would've suggest Final Fantasy III for the Super NES, as that was the game that sold me on this Series.. yet it was VII that drew me into the amazing storyline and overall graphics.

While there isn't any contest on Graphics from the Playstation to the Super NES, the fact is the storyline was absolutely amazing and arguably unbeatable throughout the rest of the games made from that point. (VIII, IX, X, X2, XII)

VII introduced us to a whole new side to everything, and it's also the only game (not including the ridiculous stupidity that was X2) to spawn multiple (yet crappier) spin-offs into other games, and even a movie!

If there is one RPG that people vote for, it definitely needs to be Final Fantasy VII because it's the end-all, be-all to RPG's.

resievi22.gif

Platforms
PlayStation, Windows, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, GameCube, PS1, Game.com

Genre
Survival Horror

Release date
Jan 21st, 1998

Plot
You can play as either Leon Kennedy ( a cop who is reporting for duty with the Raccoon PD) or Claire Redfield (Who's looking for her brother Cris Redfield [The guy from the first game]) You start out fighting your way to the Raccoon Police station and once inside you have to fight your way through the hordes of undead zombies as you try to figure out what the hell happened. Once you fight free of the station you go through the sewers, The sewage treatment plant and the Raccoon City Branch of Umbrella's labs all the while fighting zombies and figuring out puzzles.

Why my pick?
This game just kicks all different kinds of ass. I've played all R.E. games (except 5) and this one is by far my favorite. I still play it to this day and I love every second of it even after beating it many times. I'll be backing all R.E. games (except 5 due to the fact I haven't played it) but I'll be backing this one until the bitter end

world-of-warcraft-logo.jpg

I used to spend the majority of my time playing World of Warcraft. Call me a nerd if you will, but it never got boring. There is no way to beat the game. There is always better armor or a quest to do. You also make friends playing WoW. I spent a lot of my time talking to Gil and Carthos. Fun stuff, man.

ファイナルファンタジ

FF1_USA_boxart.jpg

Final Fantasy

Platform: Nintendo Entertainment System

Release Date: 1990 (North America) 1987 was the original release date.

The game that spawned one of the greatest video game series in the history of video games, Final Fantasy is by far my favourite video game of all time. The story of 4 men (You get to pick their classes, picking the ultimate team (Fighter (Warrior), 2 Black Belts (Monks), and a Red Mage for me)) go on an adventure. Starting with rescuing a princess against evil Garland, you then get to explore three giant continents, with a variety of modes of transportation (Air ships, canoes, Boats, Submarines, foot and by magic) as you explore the caves, the rivers, the volcanoes, the waterfalls, and the lands of the world. On your way through the game, you will fight the fiends that harness the elements of Wind, Earth, Fire, and Water, restoring the orbs that control the world. Once the orbs are re-lit, you must travel back in time 2000 years and once again fight Garland, this time in the form of Chaos!

ffviibox1zj.jpg

This is the one game I'll be pulling for the most. Final Fantasy VII may have been a latter installment, but it was arguably the most highly anticipated and over-played game in the entire Franchise. Before this, I would've suggest Final Fantasy III for the Super NES, as that was the game that sold me on this Series.. yet it was VII that drew me into the amazing storyline and overall graphics.

While there isn't any contest on Graphics from the Playstation to the Super NES, the fact is the storyline was absolutely amazing and arguably unbeatable throughout the rest of the games made from that point. (VIII, IX, X, X2, XII)

VII introduced us to a whole new side to everything, and it's also the only game (not including the ridiculous stupidity that was X2) to spawn multiple (yet crappier) spin-offs into other games, and even a movie!

If there is one RPG that people vote for, it definitely needs to be Final Fantasy VII because it's the end-all, be-all to RPG's.

One of my picks as well. Nobody can argue how great this game was, and anybody who played it could simply not put it down. i played it for hours and hours a day for a few years. I am pulling hard for this game.

Another pick of mine is:
8766_the_legend_of_zelda_the_wind_waker-v2.png

This game is so good. Every aspect of it is amazing. There is so much to do even after you beat the game, and the dungeons are amazingly difficult. The graphics are another aspect of this game that are great. They are cartoony, but not to much like some games. With countless pieces of treasure to pick up with your grappling hook you can never completely wipe out this game. Some of the missions are so unique that I never thought they would actually be featured in a game. This is my favorite to win.

Parasite_Eve_Coverart.png

Seeing as Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil has been taken already, im gonna campaign for Parasite Eve. Made for the Playstation by the people behind Final Fantasy came this gripping puzzle/horror/RPG game. In the game you take control of Aya Brea(Stupid name) who is an NYPD rookie who thinks shes having a quiet night at the opera untill everybody Spontaneously combusts. This results is a chasing a Mutant named Eve throughout the game and having a final battle on the wrecked Statue of Liberty site.

While not a lot of people will know this game, those that do will know that this was truely a great underrated game, and while im not expecting it to go far in the tourny (if it gets in) i'm still gonna give this a push

The game I'll be rooting for is
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Kotorbox.jpg

Platform: Xbox
Release Date: September 12 2003

Plot: The game takes place 4,000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. Darth Malak, a Dark Lord of the Sith and former apprentice of the most destructive Dark Lord ever Darth Revan, has unleashed a Sith armada against the Republic. Malak's aggression has left the Jedi scattered and vulnerable; many Jedi Knights died in battle and others swore allegiance to Malak. Malak's army seems to be endless, and no one seems to know how.
You wake up on a Republic ship with your memory gone and the ship being attacked from Malak's forces. From there, it's up to you to uncover the mystery behind Malak's seemingly endless army so you can stop him and end the war. But little do you know there's a much larger secret to be uncovered that could change the whole fate of the galaxy....

Why I pick it: This is pretty much the perfect RPG. The storyline is gripping with an amazing twist at the end that's even better than Vader being Luke's dad. The characters are perfect, they're both deep and easy to fall in love with or hate depending on which side they come from. You can choose to be a light side Jedi or a Dark side jedi depending on your actions in both quests and conversations. And there's jedi powers for both Light and Dark side. The combat is a well thought out pseudo real time system.
In my eyes, the greatest game of last generation.
94% average on gamerankings, many awards from the likes of BAFTA and IGN, and over 1.5 million units sold.

Oh my fucking God man, I haven't thought about Night Trap in YEARS.

Man how I loved this game. One of my good friends had it and I spent countless hours not playing, but just flat out enjoying the hell out of this shit.

Night Trap will have my full support if it makes the tourney. And it should. That game is as revolutionary as any game ever made, and it's as fun as any game ever made. And it also has the greatest cover in the history of video games, so that should be a big plus as well.

1138015949.jpg

I'll be backing Mortal Kombat. The picture above is from Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, the last game in the series, but I'll be backing the original game. The original is the game that let all of the current fighting games exist. The special moves, the fatalities, and the characters, were all things that no one had seen before. And, if you ask anyone that has played the entire series, who their favorite character is, it'll be someone from this game.

FYI: Scorpion pwns all

A video games tournament? Since I am a big video games fanatic, I think I have no choice but to be a part of this.

My pick to win isn't going to surprise anyone, it is a game that will always be a top contender when it comes to being the best video game of all time:

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is my pick, but there are a few other games I will be rooting for as well like Super Mario RPG and Metroid Prime. As for OOT, this game will never age, even to this day it stands tall against all of the new generation games that have technical advantages over it. The music is brilliant, there are many unique characters, and the gameplay stayed true to it's predecessors, which is the core element in LOZ's huge success. I also believe that this game has the best final boss battle out of all the games I have ever played, a definite classic.

I cannot wait for this. I'm focusing all my typing energy into backing Windwaker. Shall be classic. I see a lot of love for OOT. I personally have never played, and have never watched it or seen it. I've heard a lot of love for it, but have never thought about getting it.

You have never played orcarina of time? Oh my goodness, mate you need to play it...I can see many people backing it for number one, I don't agree however as I feel it is quite flawed.

I really pumped for this. I'm interested to see how the modern games will do against the old school games. Can Pong beat COD 4? We'll see. I think that a GTA game will proabably win this. Almost everyone had that on there list, and it's fairly modern so everyone will have heard of it.

Some of the older games worth supporting- Mortal Kombat and Altered Beast.

You have never played orcarina of time? Oh my goodness, mate you need to play it...I can see many people backing it for number one, I don't agree however as I feel it is quite flawed.

Yea never had a N64 for that matter. Heard how good Orcania of time is. I also heard and have seen that there is a copy for Gamecube, which I have. I have been thinking about picking it up after seeing the love for it in this thread. I honestly cannot wait for this.

Dragon%20Warrior%201.jpg

Give me the all time classic, Dragon Warrior. This was one of the first RPG's available - depends on if you count Zelda and Link. I was jacked up about being Erdrick's decendant, and solving the puzzles prior to the walkthroughs. Running out of torches in the Grave or Garingham and being picked apart by Drakeemas and Drollmagi, or the first time you went for Erdrick's armor and saw an Axe Knight, or stepping onto the square at level 7 that gave you the Green Dragon to save the princess, and saying "holy shit, I'm toast."

This game set the damn stage, and I'll never stop loving it. I'm gonna download an emulator just to play it. Bamboo Stick, Leather Shirt, HERE I COME!

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas:

The Good:
Tons of variety, Well-written dialogue, Terrific casting, Great surprises, Same strong gameplay.

The Bad:
Unstable frame rate, Gang AI not too bright, Soundtrack could have been a bit better.

How do you follow up a runaway success like 2001's Grand Theft Auto III? Rockstar North responded a year later with GTA: Vice City, a game that took the gameplay of its predecessor and expanded it considerably. At the same time, Vice City gave the series an extensive and amazing stylistic makeover, drenching the experience in the sights, sounds, and attitude of Miami, Florida from the mid '80s. So where do you go from there? You take it statewide. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas expands the series' concept to encompass three entire cities, as well as the countryside between them. The gameplay similarly expands, packing in some explosive set pieces and amazing action-movie-like thrills while maintaining that same remarkably fun, freefom GTA feel. In short, Rockstar has done it again. San Andreas definitely lives up to the Grand Theft Auto name. In fact, it's arguably the best game in the series.

I'm not a fan of role players as it is...This game was OK to watch someone else play, but not actually play myself. The best part of that game, was standing near that damn fishing hole for hours...It beat sitting on a boat for hours...

I really pumped for this. I'm interested to see how the modern games will do against the old school games. Can Pong beat COD 4? We'll see. I think that a GTA game will proabably win this. Almost everyone had that on there list, and it's fairly modern so everyone will have heard of it.

Some of the older games worth supporting- Mortal Kombat and Altered Beast.

Check my post!

:wtf:

The Bad: Soundtrack could have been a bit better.

Whaaaaat? GTA: SA has an amazing soundtrack. It's got the great early 90's West Coast G-funk , old school East coast rap from the Golden Age, a station of 90's alternative/grunge, a station of amazing old-school dub and roots reggae, a classic rock station. I mean, that game has got a fantastic variety and wealth of music. The only better soundtrack is GTA IV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back