Future Stars In Hollywood

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Well, I finally got a chance to watch Martha Marcy May Marlene, and Elizabeth Olsen's performance just blew me away. I got my first glimpse of Olsen in Silent House, and her fantastic performance was the highlight of Martha Marcy May Marlene. Olsen is on the list of Hollywood actress, who have a bright future, and this select list is starting to show some real promise:

Jessica Chastain
Jennifer Lawrence
Rooney Mara
Elizabeth Olsen
Michelle Williams

With the exception of Elizabeth Olsen, the actresses on this list has have received a nomination(s) (Michelle Williams has three; one for Blue Valentine, one for Brokeback Mountain, and one for My Week With Marylin) for an Academy Award. And Jessica Chastain is the stand out star in this group. She delivered a handful of outstanding performances in 2011, and Chastain could land a few roles in some big projects in the near future. Caught In Flight will explore Princess Diana's relationship with Dr. Hasnat Kahn, and Chastain could land the lead role as Princess Diana (story here: http://news.moviefone.com/2012/01/15/jessica-chastain-princess-di_n_1207857.html). Also, Chastain might receive a big part in the next Iron Man film (story here: http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/jessica-chastain-back-into-iron-man-3-talks/).

This particular group of actresses is loaded with potential and talent. But when I think about the future of male actors in Hollywood, I don't see the same amount of promise. I can think of three guys, who could become big stars.......
81829_gal.jpg

69761_gal.jpg

43941_gal.jpg

Joesph Gordon-Levitt was great in 50/50 (still can't believe he missed out on an Oscar nomination), and he will have a chance to showcase his talents in The Dark Knight Rises. Also, Looper should be a fun sci-fi/thriller, and Premium Rush should be a unique action film. As of right now, nothing is a sure thing, but Gordon-Levitt has the best chance of becoming a big star, and his future projects (especially The Dark Knight Rises) will give him a better chance of becoming one of Hollywood's more high profiled actors.

Jeremy Renner has received two Oscar nominations, but it's been two years since The Town. Renner cooled off during this stretch, and you can't expect him to be the standout star in The Avengers, because that film features too many high profiled characters, and Downey, Jr. has a MUCH better chance of stealing the show.

I've been a big fan Shia LaBeouf for the past few years. He was excellent in Disturbia, and the Transformer films did wonders for his exposure, but let's be honest, ALL of the Transformers films would've raked in a ton of cash without LaBeouf. Transformers has a large fanbase, and fans would've been drawn to the live action films regardless. Indiana Jones is one of the more popular and well recognized action/adventure franchises, and The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull would've drawn large numbers without him. Also, you can't give LaBeouf any credit for Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, because fans of the first film were anxious for the sequel. They wanted to see another Wall Street film, and in the end, LaBeouf's absence would not have a difference.

James Franco could be another wild card in all of this. He was phenomenal in 127 Hours, but Franco doesn't seem like the type of guy, who's interested in becoming a big star. Also, I can't forget about his dreadful performance in Your Highness.

When I look at all three actors, I don't see anyone, who could reach the high profiled status of a Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. I also don't see any Denzel Washington's or Will Smith's, because Renner, LaBeouf, and Gordon- Levitt don't have the presence of a powerhouse box office draw.

When it comes to the future of actresses in Hollywood, there's a lot to look forward to. The amount of talent is just amazing, and so many of them have legit chances of becoming big stars. But I can't say the same thing about the future of actors in Hollywood. I don't see that one guy, who could become the next big thing. Hell, I struggled to come up with a list of just three guys, and if you can think of some more names, I'd love to hear them.

Is there a big problem with the talent pool for future actors in Hollywood? Am I overrating any of the actresses mentioned in this thread?

I agree to an extent. Gordon-Levitt seems to have the biggest chance of being a break-out star, but I feel he's yet to have THAT big role that takes him to the next level. He was good in Inception, yet that was DiCaprio's film. I have no doubt he'll be good in DKR, but Bale and Hardy are the men to upstage which I just don't think will happen.

I think his biggest hindrance at the moment is that he appears to be going between supporting roles in blockbusters to leading roles in smaller films, so there is somewhat of an inconsistency in his journey. Both he and Renner are the two whose work I enjoy the most and want to see more of.

Renner first caught my eye in 28 Days Later and I've always tried to keep track of what he's involved with since then. His turn in The Town was great as he retained some of the wildness his character in Hurt Locker had but presented it in a slightly more threatening manner. Whenever he was on-screen, it was like watching a lid over a boiling pot where you were just waiting for that lid to slide off and catastrophe to be unleashed. His nuances are at times almost subliminal, which makes him such a great actor to watch as he can tell the story of a scene simply through his body language.

Shia I've never had a lot of time for. He was enjoyable in the first Transformers, then the subsequent films were the repeat of him talking fast, twitching, running, screaming, crying. Yes he was part of a juggernaut franchise, but as Mitch said, the CG was the selling point of it, not Shia.

Two names I feel could be added to the mix are Ryan Gosling and Tom Hardy.

Arguably, Gosling is pretty much on the cusp of being the next big actor. Yet similarly to Gordon-Levitt, his leading roles seem to be for smaller films, so the big question is whether he can be the leading man in big films that draw hundreds of millions of dollars, and do regularly.

Hardy also has the tools and charisma to be a leading star and box-office draw. He's cut his teeth in smaller fare like Bronson where he was superb and received a lot of fanfare for his turn in Warrior too.

The tricky thing with asking, 'who will be the next so-and-so', is that some actors stand out from the crowd by being something fresh and unique rather than as a replacement for an actor who left a void. For a long time people were wondering who the next Arnie would be, and while people came and went, people like Jason Statham and Liam fucking Neeson have carved a niche for themselves in the genre which, in the case of Neeson, was pretty unexpected.

Could Gosling be the next Pitt? It wouldn't surprise me. Could Shia be a white Will Smith? There's a chance. But why be the next, when you could be the first?

Ryan Gosling would be a fine choice, Dowds. Gosling's three year hiatus from acting did hurt his momentum a little bit, but Gosling's recent performances have put him back on the right track. He was outstanding in Blue Valentine and Drive, and his performance in the Ides Of March was just fantastic. Gosling has a good shot becoming a superstar. He is one of the more recognizable names in Hollywood, he has the talent, and his future projects do look very promising. Only God Forgives could be the perfect revenge drama, Nicolas Winding Refn will collaborate with Gosling again, and these two have already proved they can work miracles together. I also have high hopes for The Gangster Squad, and the supporting cast looks phenomenal.

Tom Hardy could also be another wise choice. I haven't had the chance to see Warrior just yet, but he was excellent in Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy. Although, Gary Oldman's performance was the true highlight of that film, and Hardy was overshadowed by Leo in Inception. And let's not forget about This Means War. This awful romantic comedy signified an embarrassing low point in Hardy's career, and he will have to overcome this massive bump in the road. And The Dark Knight Rises will provide a good chance for redemption. Hardy looks great in the trailer, and he has the perfect look for Bane. Also, Hardy delivers the most memorable quote in both trailers: "When Gotham is in ashes... You'll have my permission to die". Ugh, waiting until July 20th is going to kill me!

Could Gosling be the next Pitt? It wouldn't surprise me. Could Shia be a white Will Smith? There's a chance. But why be the next, when you could be the first?

Gosling has a better chance of becoming the next Pitt, because as I said before, he does have the talent to pull it off. But when it comes to Shia LaBeouf Shia LaBeouf...I'm not so sure. LaBeouf is filled with charisma, he does have a very likeable on-screen personality, but he's been fortunate enough to land some major roles in a handful of big time blockbusters.

Will Smith can put out ANYTHING, and large amounts of people will flock to see it (that sappy piece of shit Seven Pounds would be a prime example). The same thing can be said about Denzel. Brad Pitt's films usually draw good numbers at the box office, but as far as better quality goes, I would easily put him over Denzel and Will. Moneyball is one of the best, if not the best sports film all time, and Pitt's great performance was the driving force behind that film. And The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button was a superb fantasy drama.

Pitt, Smith, and Denzel all have a strong presence, that will draw their fans to theaters. Moviegoers are going to watch their movies, because they want to see their performances. They are the main attraction, and all of them have the "it" factor. But what's so special about LaBeouf? He's not a bad actor at all, but as of right now, I don't see anything great in him. It's going to take some time, LaBeouf is going to break away from big name franchises for a while, and this can be a good thing for him. We'll finally get a chance to see what he can bring to the table as an actor, who doesn't have the support of Transformers, Indiana Jones, or Wall Street.

Will Smith can put out ANYTHING, and large amounts of people will flock to see it (that sappy piece of shit Seven Pounds would be a prime example). The same thing can be said about Denzel. Brad Pitt's films usually draw good numbers at the box office, but as far as better quality goes, I would easily put him over Denzel and Will. Moneyball is one of the best, if not the best sports film all time, and Pitt's great performance was the driving force behind that film. And The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button was a superb fantasy drama.

Pitt, Smith, and Denzel all have a strong presence, that will draw their fans to theaters. Moviegoers are going to watch their movies, because they want to see their performances. They are the main attraction, and all of them have the "it" factor. But what's so special about LaBeouf? He's not a bad actor at all, but as of right now, I don't see anything great in him. It's going to take some time, LaBeouf is going to break away from big name franchises for a while, and this can be a good thing for him. We'll finally get a chance to see what he can bring to the table as an actor, who doesn't have the support of Transformers, Indiana Jones, or Wall Street.

As far as drawing presence, you're right in regards to Shia. The three franchises he's been lucky enough to be a part of were not hinging on him being a part of them; robots and maybe even Peter Cullen were a big factor, Harrison Ford donning the hat and cracking the whip was a nostalgia kick and Michael Douglas reprising one of, if not his best roles.
What Shia needs is a run of films that hinge (maybe too strong a word) on his presence to see whether or not he can carry films on his own. Until he has that kind of run, it's very hard to say one way or the other.

The other three all have some similarities and differences in what makes them such great on-screen presences;
Pitt is the classic good-looking modern day Adonis who women wish they could date and men wish they could be.
Smith is an all guns blazing charm offensive that can head up some utter cack like Wild Wild West and not be knocked off his stride. With Will, people know what they're in for and lap it up, like his tendency to blurt out an, "Aawwwww HELL naw!"
Washington can handle any role given to him, but excels with the gritty emotional roles like John Q, Man on Fire and The Hurricane.

These men can be the reason a film gets made, the reason it recoups its budget or the reason it wins awards. One other man I think is just a tier below these guys is Christian Bale. The Batman series has done him a world of good and raised his stock, yet the star of The Dark Knight was Heath Ledger, death or no death. The internet has been buzzing about Tom Hardy's Bane and how the trilogy will round off in the newest installment. How much of a factor has Bale really been in the trilogy? I'm not taking anything away from his acting ability in any of the films, it just seems that there have been other factors at play.

Rescue Dawn and The Machinist showed how far he would push himself for a role. Public Enemies was proof he could hang with a great actor and not be out of place. American Psycho and Harsh Times were dark leading roles he pulled off with what seemed like a lot of ease.
The next couple of films after Dark Knight Rises are going to be very interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back