FunKay's Thoughts, Reviews and Other Things

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
Catchy title eh?

New Japan Pro-Wrestling: Wrestle Kingdom 9

wk9.jpg

So this happened on Sunday and as it was presented for the very first time in English, with Jim Ross and Matt Striker handling commentary duties, I figured why not give it a go? I’ve seen select bits and pieces of New Japan over the years and matches from a few of the guys (Kota Ibushi for example) but never sat through a full show. So this will be a unique experience for me, someone who has been raised on the western version of wrestling for close to fifteen years now.

General Thoughts
This is obviously meant to be the Japanese equivalent of WrestleMania and it shows. The entrance ramp/stage looks impressive and it helped add something to the presentation of the event. One thing that was made immediately clear by the presentation was that this is something that is treated less as an entertainment product, and much more like a legitimate, serious sport. The fact that most of the matches are athletic competitions of a solid standard, the distance between the ring and the fans, the barrier between the announcers and the ringside area, the young boys offering ice and cold spray after matches and the separate exits for competitors all made this seem like serious sport. Different for sure.

It also seems that while this traditional/sports stuff is in play, some western influences are creeping in. Some of the entrances (Nakamura’s being the obvious example) offered real bravado and some of the gimmicks are very obviously western influenced (Nakamura again, Honma’s Hogan inspired attire, Okada’ s ‘Rainmaker’ stuff etc...), so this is a real crossroads in the history of this company it seems, making for some interesting viewing.

Regarding the commentary, I thought Striker and Ross complimented each other fairly well, though JR did seem to have to reign in the overly smarky Striker at times (his more or less telling Striker to tone it down when he used the term ‘swerve’ was very entertaining). Striker suffered from his usual issue of trying to sound like he knew everything and thus came off as up himself somewhat – his liberal use of words such as ‘legendary’ and phrases like ‘the best wrestling in the world’ made it difficult to stand him at times – though he was informative for the most part.

It was also clear why JR doesn’t do this full time anymore; he clearly just hasn’t got the energy he used to. His trying to sound extremely excited at the conclusion of the main event was a pale shadow of what he once would’ve achieved. That all said they did a solid overall job calling the action.

The Matches
Fourway for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championships – reDRagon (C) defeated Time Splitters, Forever Hooligans and The Young Bucks

Fast paced action to kick things off and Striker ran down each team’s time in the business and New Japan itself, allowing for some background which was of course welcome. The match was decent and it entertained, allowing for an easing in for viewer s such as myself who were fresh to the product – these guys were mostly working a fast paced western style multi-man tag encounter, only one of the participants was in fact Japanese.

Some of the action between reDRagon (what’s with that spelling?) and Forever Hooligans came across as sloppy though The Young Bucks seemed crisp especially with their superkicks. The miscommunication spot where one of the Bucks just about decapitated the other with a running kick looked painful as all hell. reDRagon’s finisher looked, if I may so, rather silly and contrived (what did the kick add to the move?) though I can appreciate a good brainbuster.

Grade: C+

Six Man Tag Team Match – Tomoaki Honma, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima defeated The Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Jeff Jarrett, Yujiro Takahashi)

The rapid pace at which we moved into the next match set the tone for the night though did surprise me and cause problems as I needed a break from time to time to get a refreshment (or two). Having The Bullet Club explained by Striker made sense, although actions later in the evening seemed to contradict what he was saying (these guys use ‘western shenanigans’ to win matches and yet guys like Nakamura are essentially doing the same thing – see my point earlier about the apparent westernisation of the product).

Match was short, though the back stories provided were nice (Takahashi being Bullet Club’s sole Japanese member who turned his back on the New Japan way, Tenzan & Kojima fighting to defend that honour with plucky underdog Honma by their side). Fale looked like a slow but impressive superheavyweight. He’s almost in a Vader esc mould – minus the highflying of course. Honma was a lot of fun and JR’s line about not wanting him to do his tax returns had me chuckling. His headbutts explained his character very well and I was drawn to his natural underdog charisma. He was fun and the match was designed to showcase and reward him for his continued losses at the hands of the Bullet Club (I imagine). He was one of my favourites coming out of the show.

Grade: C

Eight Man Tag Team Match – Toru Yano, Mikey Nicholls, Shane Haste, Naomichi Marufuji defeated Suzukigun (Takashi Iizuka, Shelton ‘X’ Benjamin, Lance Archer and Davey Boy Smith Jr.)

Striker had a fairly major commentating gaff when he described Benjamin as more ‘smash-mouth’ in Japan as opposed to athletic and then proceeded to refer to him as ‘athletic’ multiple times in the match. Pick a narrative and stick to it son. Nice to see the foreign team as face I recognise from the States. Match was fairly meh and while the backstory of Iizuka turning on his tag partner Yano made sense, it was odd not to see Yano get revenge by scoring the winning pin though it was explained that the NOAH guys (the other guys on Yano’s team being from that promotion instead of New Japan) were essentially to be showcased. It looks like Nicholls & Haste are going to feud with Archer & Smith after this and that should be interesting.

Grade: D

Singles Match where the winner could only be decided by submission, knockout or referee stoppage – Minoru Suzuki defeated Kazushi Sakuraba

The multi-man showcases were becoming repetitive so this was a welcome change of pace. The shoot-style of the match made for a fun spectacle and it became clear immediately who Suzuki was – an ice-cold killer. He even looked out of his mind. Sakuraba looked like an old guy out of shape though he performed better. The hyperbowl that JR was trying to feed about them being protégés of one of the Gotch’s and another older wrestler was nice though when he said ‘some people have waited their entire lives for this match’ it felt like complete horse manure.

Selling on Suzuki’s part was good, though again the commentary felt forced here with Striker declaring he had a broken arm in spite of the fact he could move it well enough to grab a sleeper and not show any sign of agony. It was an intriguing if not wholly memorable bout between two older guys with the finish being a bit too quick – Suzuki was getting dominated and then suddenly he slipped out of getting pounded and slapped on a sleeper to choke him out really quick. Hmmmmm. The respect handshake was a good touch, especially with Suzuki’s hesitation. He comes across as a guy to look out for in spite of his status as an older guy and his age.

Singles Match for the NEVER Openweight Championship – Togi Makabe defeated Tomohiro Ishii (C)

It was very odd indeed to see a worked shoot match followed by what was more or less a wrestling match version of a fight. The Brody comparison to Makabe was apparent even without the commentators beating to point to death (as they did). Ishii looked to be in an Abdullah the Butcher like shape though worked far better than I’ve ever seen ‘The Madman from Sudan’ and so I recalled watching Butcher and Brody tear each other apart. Was a good old fashioned stiff as fuck match with some of those shots looking sore as all hell. The story concerning Ishii more or less being held together with tape allowed me to naturally sympathise with him though Makabe’s alignment had me confused – I assume he’s a face, in the Steve Austin sense.

Makabe’s assault on Ishii towards the end got a tad sickening to watch and the final lariat he delivered was sick in both good and bad senses, though again Striker’s overselling was unnecessary– ‘he might have broken his neck’...no Matt, no he didn’t. Makabe’s finishing him off seemed brutal and the cheap shot he got in after was to further confuse me over his status as good guy or villain. Still a fun and stiff encounter that was a welcome match and up to this point, clearly the best match on display.

Grade: B

Singles Match for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship Match – Kenny Omega defeated Ryusuke Taguchi (C)

Omega being compared to Brian Pillman made me roll my eyes if only because so many people are compared with Pillman if they’ve got a little ‘loose cannon’ in them, but with Omega that seemed naturally given his physique and look as well as his slightly weird persona. His nickname ‘The Cleaner’ doesn’t really translate very well to wrestling though. I know what it means but it’d work better for someone who isn’t madcap. Taguchi in turn reminded me of Eddie Guerrero both because of his use of the Three Amigos but also his general look (green tights, white wrist tape and facial hair etc...)

Both guys worked their parts well with Taguchi being the honest if not fun babyface and Omega being a cruel and weird bad guy. The arm stubble/rake/saw thing was a decent idea in theory but the way Omega delivered it made me laugh rather than anything else. It was just plain weird...though I’ve heard Omega’s that kind of cat. Nothing overly spectacular here but solid...as has been a recurring theme.

Tag Team Match for the IWGP Tag Team Championships – Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata defeated The Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) (C)

This match wasn’t exactly that impressive. Anderson seems like a guy who is great at what he does and JR calling him more or less the modern Arn Anderson merely reinforced that point. However Gallows has never been that remarkable to me and while it was nice to see the reference to Demolition (face-paint and spiked leather) he again seemed to be nothing more than a so-so talent. Goto & Shibata also didn’t exactly scream superstar tag team even that that appears to be what was being sought after. At least their storyline to this point sounded good – tag partners who grew up together, separated to feud and then reunited to become champions.

Grade: C-

Singles Match – AJ Styles defeated Tetsuya Naito

At this point I was starting to think that this show seemed to be structured an awful lot like WrestleMania XIX – the big matches are coming up later in the card and after a little bit of digging it would seem that this is indeed the traditional format of New Japan shows which, given the reserved nature of the Japanese fans does in fact make sense in this context.

Match wasn’t a classic or anything really close to that but worked as a main event level match which is what I think was the intention. Styles still doesn’t work for me as a heel as his move set and look just scream babyface to me, but he did a good job to try and present himself as evil, going for the Styles Clash early and often, which we were reminded frequently had legitimately broken people’s necks in the recent past.

Naito was a guy who seemed like Dolph Ziggler to me – he’s good at his job, but he seems too sure of himself and that means I don’t like him even though he’s supposed to be the babyface. Ziggler has worked past this problem recently with WWE booking him well enough to get past that hurdle over the last couple of months, but Naito didn’t have the time to do that here and while he seemed technically sound, I was rooting for Styles. The finish seems obvious from the moment they were on the top turnbuckle, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing and the Clash looked good from up there. AJ still seems to be one of the world’s most polished workers.

Grade: B-

Singles Match for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship – Shinsuke Nakamura (C) defeated Kota Ibushi

We got our first video package to hype this match. Now again confusion set in because of the language barrier because I was sure Nakamura was a heel during the video package (getting jumped by the clearly face Ibushi and his reaction after taking a German Suplex were heelish enough to convince me) but he was described as a huge babyface and was clearly immensely popular. JR’s explanation that Nakamura was a massive fan of Freddy Mercury and Michael Jackson though went a long way to explaining the character though and I was on board from that point. His entrance was elaborate and the trademark ‘Yea-Oh!’ rockstar entrance thing was cool.

I’m a fan of Ibushi having seen many of his matches with Prince Devitt/Finn Balor, Dick Togo and others and so I was looking forward to this. Intriguingly the story between the two came across really well in the ring even though I didn’t know what the background was – Ibushi is the plucky up and comer who Nakamura has to teach a lesson on being a heavyweight too but might underestimate and subsequently lose the belt to. Nakamura played his role perfectly here and Ibushi was also terrific with both guys working in their move-sets well, not spamming their finishers in a way I felt they would – though Ibushi’s sit-out Last Ride is a fucking odd looking move from a guy that size.

I really had fun with this and Nakamura and Ibushi really tore the house down. They clearly worked hard and Nakamura winning surprised me a little bit though I expect Ibushi to eventually get his hands on the belt. The post-match fist-bump of respect was cool too. I feel a rematch is in order...

Grade: B+

Singles Match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship – Hiroshi Tanahashi (C) defeated Kazuchika Okada

Main event time and again a video package leads us in. The video package comes across a bit like Rock/Cena as we parallel the two guys roads here with Tanahashi showcased as the guy who goes to school rallies and is uber-passionate about what he does with Okada being the guy who is just that damn good and a pure streamlined bad-ass who won his way on talent and skill. Plus that haircut is cool. Very good video package and made me like both guys.

Okada’s entrance was bad-ass with the tron and the door stuff. I only found out afterwards the backstory to this match (something which JR and Striker failed to mention really which was odd given its status as main event) and the idea of who is the (f)ace of New Japan so my impact was less than perhaps a hardened viewer the first time of asking, though I enjoyed it more upon a repeat viewing after learning about the backstory. Tanahashi seems like a guy who is just great at what he does though that air guitar thing is just a bit odd for me. This did indeed feel like a big deal and had vibes of Austin/Rock; the two biggest guys in the company going toe-to-toe in the biggest main event of their companies year.

Match was not as panty-wettingly good as some will say it was, but it delivered on the (ten minutes of) hype I had seen. Okada’s dominance earlier only helped emphasise the character I had built for him in my mind as the cool, clinical superstar while Tanahashi’s selling worked nicely. The High Fly Flow from the top rope, over the barricade, and onto Okada was indeed a cool moment. I was a tad fed up of Tanahashi spamming that move by match’s end though.

The kick-out of the Rainmaker should’ve been a bigger deal or at least conveyed as a bigger deal by the commentary team who only briefly mentioned the fact that no one had ever kicked out of it before. Tanahashi’s win also felt strange because it sort of came out of nowhere – he had worked on wearing Okada’s knees out and then just spammed his finisher again and pinned him. It wasn’t natural but maybe I’m just not used to Tanahashi’s style. I felt for Okada and his crying was a nice touch, though it was Tanahashi’s sort-of gloating promo post match that made me side with Okada fully. Again I get the feeling that these two will meet again and I wouldn’t be disappointed by that in the slightest.

Grade: A-

Closing Thoughts
It’s clear the guys in New Japan know what they’re doing. The crowd is into the show, the wrestlers deliver good in-ring contests and the stories seem to flow very nicely. The show didn’t exactly make me a massive puro fan – many of the cultural differences are just plain confusing at this stage and the lack of English-language commentary going forward could hurt things for a viewer such as myself – but it definitely got my attention and I’ll be paying attention to NJPW for sure. Might have to invest in a Rainmaker shirt as well given the cheap nature of New Japan’s European shop too...

I’ve no idea if this will become a regular thing or not, but I thank you for reading oh and KB, sorry about stealing borrowing your grading system it just works better than doing the stars.

A collection of random thoughts:

John Woo is Terrific
the_crossing_1.jpg

Some of you may or may not know that I am a Media Arts student in my third year. More or less this entails me watching a shocking amount of films. Over the last three years my taste has changed quite considerably and I'm a bit of a cinephile (movie snob) nowadays, though I still love my dog-shite like Kindergarten Cop and the like. One director whose work I've come to appreciate is John Woo.

Most of you who recall Woo will remember him as the guy responsible for Face/Off and Mission Impossible II while others will be familiar with his Hong Kong work with things like The Killer and Hard Boiled but suffice to say the guy has a bit of a niche style, one others, like Quentin Tarantino for example, have tried to 'borrow' from for the past twenty years or so.

Woo's style is ridiculous. Slow-motion shots, guns everywhere, doves flying out of fucking nowhere and even homoerotic relationships. His indulgence in excessive bollocks is to be seen everywhere in all his shots. This is in fact an extension of themes of social-repression and cultural change as evidenced in 1950s American (that is USA) melodrama. Douglas Sirk, Nicholas Ray and the like would be very much fans of Woo's aesthetic style as viewed in his use of colour. Take a look at this shot from Hard Boiled for example:

HardBoiled14.ashx

Becoming big in Hong Kong before flying to the States to make big budget flicks and then returning to his homeland after ten years, Woo is currently making period films as seen in the two part Red Cliff and his current project The Crossing. If you're in the mood for fun gun action (and yes that is an innuendo given the homo-erotic tone to his work) with a socially serious undertone, I reccommend Woo. He's a cult director whose made it in the mainstream.

Tl;dr?

Check out this still of Woo:

d3998.gif

It not remind you of something?

ancient-aliens-evolution-240x180.png

Aliens...that's all I'm saying.

__________________________________________​

Anyone else ever notice that Christian always seems to get bad-ass themes? Seriously, check these out and tell me there's not some sort of weird consistency here:

[YOUTUBE]LYOziAa6TAw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]1uvTXb_7oZI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]XlhrrdOZZHk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]bE0UB1eEGB4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]oZ6VlUpGedU[/YOUTUBE]

Still love that first version of Just Close Your Eyes by Waterproof Blondes.

Developed a liking for Pink Floyd this past week as I worked on my latest essay for university. Their extended instrumental and clever use of recording equipment along with their continued, running themes and narrative structures on concept albums like Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here made for some wonderful listening. Not as big a fan of The Wall though.

Waters growing control of the band took them away from what I quite liked about them and the concept stuff developed beyond music and into a pure narrative which has its positives, though I was just looking to listen to the music. Think I may have to watch Pink Floyd - The Wall soon though.

A final thought, from Robert Luis Stevenson:

Our business in life is not to succeed, but to continue to fail in good spirits.

Cheers for reading.

Christian's use of not-Evanescence as a theme was proper WCW - but it is a good theme. You're also missing the Brood theme, which was amazing, and the Edge & Christian theme (later just the Edge theme). Even better when performed on kazoos. Oh, Christian, we hardly knew ye.

I like Woo and his influence (e.g. Gareth Evans) but I prefer my martial arts films a bit lighter, e.g. Jackie Chan and films like Legend of the Drunken Master:

[youtube]WEt4B1poOfM[/youtube]

The English dub is better - it has Jackie Chan doing the voice of Jackie Chan - but you get my point.

Random thoughts ahoy!

The Network Has Arrived
image0021.jpg

While our North American cousins have been laughing maniacally for months (close to a year in fact) about having the WWE Network for 9.99 a month (that's 9.99 a month), we in the UK have had to wait, and wait, and wait for the elite wrestling streaming service (sorry NJPW World). That was until last week when, ahead of schedule, the WWE Network dropped on the UK (and a little place that once endured a potato famine called Ireland).

It was all very overwhelming.

I've been a wrestling fan for a long time, it'll be fourteen years this August, and so I've see my fair share of wrestling. So what would I watch on the Network? Something new? Something exciting? Something different? Something classic? Well first I had to make sure it worked so the first five minutes or so of the new Batista documentary would do. Not bad, it worked.
What to watch seriously then? Only one place to go: my first 'favourite show', WrestleMania XIX.

I love that show. I had seen Mania 17 and of course, it's pretty much the greatest wrestling show of all time. But this was my great WrestleMania, the first great show I saw, from start to finish as a regular viewer. Alright, maybe SummerSlam 2002 was the first great show, but this was the first massive show that felt huge from start to finish. I was truly, properly emotionally invested in the show. I wanted Brock Lesnar to kill Kurt Angle (although in hindsight that was definetly a poor choice on my part), I wanted to see how Austin/Rock would play out, I wanted to see Vince and Hogan tear each other apart limb from limb, I wanted Booker T to kick Triple H's 'punk-ass' and I was intrigued by the old vs. new dynamic of Michaels/Jericho. It all felt so massive.

I still own a copy of a VHS of the show, bought in the midst of a blisteringly hot summer of 2003. Just for historical shits and giggles, Terminator 3 had just come out in cinemas, and Brock/Angle II was days away from going down at SummerSlam 2003. I remember it vividly. So when I started watching the show and WWE had changed the opening video packages music I was a bit pissed. The opening is one of my favourites and the ultra-super-duper serious promo music was one of the reasons why. When it was changed to a much lighter version it was annoying.

That said, I watched the four hour Safeco Field extravaganza and remembered my childhood. Michael Cole was a good commentator, Brock Lesnar was an athletic freak rather than an MMA beast, Hulk Hogan wasn't a tattooed old guy, just your average middle-age superhuman and Triple H wore purple ring-gear. Oh the days of yore. Love that show and it worked perfectly on the Network.

I've watched some other bits and pieces like the Countdown's which walk that somewhat annoying line between kayfabe and shoot (we are in the *ahem* 'reality era' now) and matches from here there and everywhere that I love or haven't seen before (stuff like Cena/Umaga from Royal Rumble 2007 and Vader/Flair from Starrcade respectively). It's been a fun experience so far and I can't wait to watch the Rumble on it next week.

Began reading Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest this week. It's a cracking piece of work so far and about four chapter's in I'm hooked. If anyone is seeking older, good quality pulp fiction (sit down Tarantino), read Hammett, he's the master.

A final thought from Rainer Werner Fassbinder:

So certainly, if we can tell evil stories to make people sick, we can also tell good myths that make them well.

600full-rainer-werner-fassbinder.jpg

Have good week folks.

I tried this once already but my internet went and took a giant shit on me so once more unto the breach I guess:

WWE Royal Rumble 2015
wwe-royal-rumble-2015-poster-355x225.jpg

You may have heard, last night was the 28th annual Royal Rumble live from that hot-bed of wrestling Philadelphia. It received what can only be described as a fairly violent reaction. However, there was more to the show than the closing disaster. So, let's take a look at it all, close to 24 hours on:

Pre-Show - The Uppercats defeated The New Day
Because that's a better name for Kidd/Cesaro than the rumoured 'Master's of the WWE Universe' title that has so far failed to surface.

I like all four guys who competed in the match. Big E.'s a good-ol' hoss, Kofi is probably one of the few naturally likeable guys left on the roster, Cesaro is, well you know, and Tyson Kidd is great at what he does. Those four guys, knowing full well that they would barely be featured in the Rumble (even Kofi this year), put on a fine back and forth encounter. It's clear Kidd and Cesaro have a future as a tag team and I'm getting pretty excited about the potential of their matches vs. the Usos.

The superplex/elbow drop combo was a thing of beauty and Big E. hamming up his role as lead big man preacher was fun. That said, the New Day gimmick feels like it's pretty much doomed to fail. I can easily see Big E. turning on Xavier Woods and Kofi in about four months when the angle goes nowhere and Vince realises that E. is a muscle bound beast. Oh well, these teams, when given time, can put on a quality match. Here's to more showcases like this one in the future.

Opening video package on being 'the one', as per the usual, was pretty good. Interesting that being 'the one' is probably going to be played on even more this year given that Brock is the one in 21-1. Also, Reigns opening and closing the video package. Foreshadowing much?

The Ascension defeated The New Age Outlaws
Road Dogg seems like he got old in a hurry. He was pretty out of breath when getting in the ring to do his shtick. Billy on the other hand seems to still be in cracking shape, then again he does have that Performance Centre gig so that probably helps. This was more or less what it should've been with The Ascension using heelish tactics to secure the win and execute Fall of Man for the win. Still unsure if that move is cool or stupid.

Grade: D+

Hunter is cutting a promo on Sting in the back while talking to Steph. Is it bad that I imagine their home life together being like this all the time? Anyway, Paul Heyman appears and suggests that Lesnar could be the answer to their prayers regarding Sting. So I'm assuming we're already re-aligning The Authority and Lesnar/Heyman?

WWE Tag Team Championships - The Usos (C) defeated The Miz & Damien Mizdow
Miz deserves a lot of credit for helping get the whole Mizdow gimmick over. Obviously Sandow is incredibly talented and killing it in his role, but Miz is embodying douchebag heel right now. They make for a great odd-couple and the eventual turn is going to be terrific. The Usos too deserve more credit than they're given. They are one of the most consistent acts in WWE even if you find them stale, they can still pull of a top notch tag match out of the hat.

As for the match, eh, not bad, but we'd seen it all before: Miz wrestles the whole match for his team, Mizdow nearly gets the win for his team but Miz's ineptness causes them to fail, the Usos fly all over the place and superkick everything that moves. Something noteworthy was Jimmy(?) nearly dying off that over the top plancha he did where he smacked his head off the outside. That looked nasty. Not a bad match but nothing particularly new.

J & J Security are playing the new WWE mobile game and Rollins tells them to get focused. He more or less declares himself the here and now of WWE after the weeks of hyping him as the future. More on this when we get to the title match.

The Bella Twins defeated Paige & Natalya
By this point, we were on our fourth tag match in a row and this was starting to dull the senses. Didn't help that the match was incredibly meh. The story being worked was fine...if it goes anywhere, which I doubt. Instead it felt like a prolonged piss break which comes across far more condescending and sexist than I want it to. 'Reach Nattie!' was perhaps the most annoying thing about the show to this point. Paige screaming that over and over was deeply, deeply irritating.

Triple Threat Match for the WWE Championship - Brock Lesnar (C) defeated John Cena and Seth Rollins
This match felt big coming in and it delivered. The whole thing came across as important and it really solidified Rollins as the future of the company and as a star of the here and now. He hung in there with the face of the company and the most dominant bestial champion is WWE's modern history. In fact, all three men came out of this smelling of roses really.

Cena was the savvy veteran seeking a place in history, resorting to using his tried and tested methods (seriously, how many AA's to Lesnar?). Rollins was the guy seeking to seize his opportunity, to step out of the title of the future and place himself on the mantle of the here and now. Lesnar was the monster champion who could sustain anything and everything thrown his way and still dominate the fuck out of everyone who dares enter his domain.

The idea that Lesnar couldn't be stopped by two men, one of whom is the sneakiest bastard in WWE this side of Edge, and the other the supposed superman of the company, presents him as an absolute dominant force. Yet simultaneously, Rollins was able to showcase what brung him to the dance and lay it all on the line with his diving elbow and phoenix splash. He looked like Cena's equal, even if neither of them were Brock's. Awesome match.

Grade: A+

30 Man Royal Rumble Match - Roman Reigns wins, last eliminating Rusev
And so we arrive at the talking point. No way we could ignore this white elephant any longer. Simply put this was a major misstep by WWE. I don't mean that in Reigns' win. Nor do I mean it by Bryan’s failure to win. Rather, I mean it in the fact that everything that could possibly have gone wrong, more or less went wrong. Let's take a look shall we:

- Having Daniel Bryan, the biggest name in the Rumble eliminated in roughly ten minutes, in the middle of the match, long before a good deal of the midcard fodder was even in it, was plain stupid. This meant that the crowd, who were always going to be pissed at the elimination, would revolt when there was still 30 minutes or so left to go. That was, again, plain stupid. As was the fact that he wasn't protected in the slightest, something which Nate (whose name may crop up more than once here) pointed out. He came in and he got dumped in a way where he saved no face. He wasn't screwed, he wasn't attacked or outnumbered. He got dumped, plain and simple. The crowd in turn was pissed.

- The major surprise returns all happened in the first half of the Rumble, so your guaranteed nostalgia pops were taken out before Bryan was even dumped. Thus, any token pops you might have gotten were used up and thus there was a great big gaping hole of an abyss for the fans to not give a shit in and boo mercilessly into.

- As KB pointed out, once Bryan was gone, Reigns was the clear winner. Yes there were moments where I thought Ambrose, Ziggler or even Bray might win, but those were moments when I was caught up thinking that WWE couldn't really be tis daft. To do such things in front of this crowd. It was idiocy at its finest and the obvious winner tag helped Roman Reigns none. In fact it turned the vitriol the Philly crowd was displaying for the match directly onto him.

- Going alongside the previous point, Reigns looked terrible, and through no fault of his own. He entered the Rumble when it was crowded tossed the Dusts and then got lost in the shuffle for the next ten or so entrances. Then he got the ever loving shit kicked out of him by the two bipolar giants Big Show and Kane before he, the bad-ass babyface, snuck up behind them to dump them out. Then he got the shit kicked out of him some more and his part-time cousin who is more or less semi-retired at this point, had to make the save. He looked terrible.

- Speaking of looking terrible, Nate made this excellent post in the non-spam section where he noted what the real issue surrounding the end of the show was:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=288035

Essentially, Big Show is booked like an unstoppable monster in spite of the fact that we know he's not. Hell in the past year he's been jobbed out to both Rusev and Brock Lesnar, getting crushed by them in quick losses on PPV. He's lost to more or less every main event player who has mattered over the last decade and yet WWE continues to try and sell him (and Kane to a lesser degree) as this big deal. He isn't, and he and Kane tossing all the young guys who the crowd was into (Ziggler, Ambrose, Wyatt) with minimal effort didn't add heat to them, it made them look fucking inept. For example, Bray Wyatt spends 45 minutes in the Rumble, eliminates the hottest guy coming in, and is tossed out effortlessly by a guy he's squashed on TV less than a year ago. How on Earth does that make sense?

- Also in the looking terrible category was Rusev. He spent the last ten minutes or so of the match hiding, resting and then jumped in on the beaten down, broken Reigns, only to get dumped 30 seconds later. Boy did he look great. At least he's going into a major programme for WrestleMania.

- More minor quibbles have to be the two somewhat major botches that clearly occurred during the fiasco. The first being Titus O'Neil being eliminated in what was obviously designed to be a record beating/equalling result. He was eliminated in 4 seconds because he couldn't get over the top rope. It looked stupid and I face-palmed when it happened live. The other is the pyro both at the end. Even the photo opportunity at the end of the show failed for Roman, a guy I really feel sorry for at this point. He should've had his moment, but instead it was taken away from him by a ravenous, angry crowd who were furious at the horrendous booking he just happened to be benefiting from.

On a positive note, at least some of the surprise returns were fun. Bubba was great and him and Truth was fun. DDP looked pretty good for a guy pushing 60 and the Boogeyman vs. Bray was a harmless and fun encounter. In fact, until bray got dumped he had been booked very well in the match looking like the dark horse to win the whole thing. Then he bumped into Big Show. Ugh...

Rating: D

Closing Thoughts
At the end of the day, the Rumble match is always fun...at least until this year when it felt deeply, deeply uncomfortable. It had some moments of entertainment and fun, but dear lord it was difficult to sit through once Bryan went out. Then it was like watching snuff movie. I said in the first post in this thread that it was clear that New Japan knew what they were doing, it's clear that Vince McMahon is out of touch with certain audiences. I wouldn't quite go the full nine-yards and say all audiences because Reigns will be somewhat accepted in front of the more casual fans

While I don't think the Road to WrestleMania will be as bad as some, it's clear the more smarky crowds (including the one that will show up for Mania) will just not accept Roman Reigns as 'the guy'. He's been handled poorly, he's not ready, not because he's green or his mic skills aren't good, but because he simply hasn't had time to connect in the ways others have. Daniel Bryan got a full year's worth of build into his run to the top last year, Roman's had six weeks at this point, and three months by Mania.

To this point, going forward it is going to be very interesting to watch and see where WWE go from here because match one of the biggest show of the year is already in some trouble.

Tuesday update...a day late. Oops.

Monster is a Beast
Monster-v1-image.jpg

About three or four years ago, former WZ mod, (The) Doc(tor), suggested I read Naoki Urasawa's Monster. He and I shared a love for anime and manga and in particular Death Note, a story which well and truly fucked with my emotions. So I trusted Doc and I put out for the first two volumes. I was hooked. This was great. And then I ran into a slight problem.

You see, Volume 3 was out of print. Buying it second hand meant parting with far more cash than I wanted to. 'So read it online then'. Nah. That's not for me. For some bizarre reason I have to own the damn thing. It has to be tangible to me. Having read those first couple of editions, maybe I felt I owed Urasawa one. I don't know. So I had a thought: 'If this series is as good overall as Doc says it is, they'll have to reprint it.'

Three years on, it happened. In the summer of 2014 I found a Viz Big edition of Monster. It promised more were coming. So I, being a bit of a completeist (maybe I have some sort of OCD?), had to own these all in so they appeared as a complete set. I stumped up the cash and bought what I had already read and I re-accommodated myself the story of Dr. Kenzō Tenma:

A highly successful surgeon, skilled in exceedingly difficult surgeries, Tenma has it made. He's engaged to the daughter of the hospital's president. However, he begins to feel he's neglected his duties as a surgeon as a result of his desire to climb up the political ladder. Then, when he fails to operate on a high ranking official in West Germany - the story is set there, initially pre-reunification, then shortly after the first few chapters, after the countries reunion - he is demoted, disregarded and divorced (well not quite, but it's the same effect).

Tenma ends up saving the lives of two young children, kids of an Eastern diplomat who defected to the West, after an all out assault on their family. Able to save the now orphaned kids, Tenma feels somewhat fulfilled, but then things start taking a very odd turn. You see, his enemies start dropping like flies. The person who replaced him as head surgeon? Dead. The head of the hospital? Deceased. Other doctors who had sucked up? Killed. Poisoned candy. Tenma thus becomes head of the hospital...and a prime suspect in the murders.

From here the series begins its labyrinth like journey through police investigations, Tenma's quest for insight into the killings and a murder mystery plot that never fails to shock. Monster's biggest asset is its serial story, a page turner from start to finish the end of Viz Big's third volume, where I currently am. It creates sympathy with a true plethora of characters. Some begin their existence as irrelevant but suddenly a twist, which is both logical and true to the stories themes, will bring them to the forefront as a key part of the puzzle.

Urasawa's art is also a great asset. He's a simple artist, but also an effective one. His work is cartoony to a degree but retains a semblance of reality, enough to create a pulpy type feel. it's like some sort of Chandler, Fassbinder, Toriyama milieu. The work feels grounded whilst also having a sense of the fantastic, all without losing credibility. It's a surprise that such a work has yet to be adapted for live action whether it be for television (the logical choice) or film (not such a good idea).

I've only reached about a quarter of the way into the series and I am counting down the days until Volume 4 comes out. 23rd of April. Only 79 days to go...

You may have noticed I've changed my signature. Previously I sported a sig featuring Lee Marvin from Point Blank. It was a nice, moody looking thing with Marvin's features heavily emphasised and a rhythmic pattern of office windows in the background.

Now we've got Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung from In the Mood For Love, a film from Wong Kar Wai, an art house favourite. In the Mood for Love is a beautiful work. It's slow in its pace, but it tells a heartbreaking story of two people who live next door to one another, their spouses cheating with each other. The cinematography (beloved by the cinematography teacher on my course) is a wonderful palette of shadows and colours. The acting is sublime. The music is melancholic.

It's a most wonderful bit of cinema and thus it finds itself in my signature. So long Lee:

point_blank_01.jpg

Lee Marvin, Point Blank - September 2014-February 2015

Last night's Raw was a great example of why they should be returning to two hours. The first hour was sleep inducing, complete with a 30 minute opening promo that could've been done in half the time. In fact, Triple H himself made this point on the live Steve Austin Show podcast. On top of that, the booking of Big Show over Roman Reigns in the opener was mind boggling and borderline ******ed. Not a nice word, but that's what made the most sense.

Yet, the next two hours were a fun, entertaining show. There were problems as always, but there were three good to very good matches and, for the most part, the booking was smart. It got me hyped for the Road to Mania and Fast Lane as a show. That's going to be an interesting stop as, yet again, I'm unsure who wins the main event. Reigns seems obvious, but his booking indicates that they're having doubts. Alongside this, I've never been able to predict Bryan's main event booking. Well, I have, but I've always had an underlying sense of uncertainty.

Fast Lane's main event is an interesting one for sure.

Our final thought from Johnny Cash:

Johnny-Cash-002.jpg

You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.

Thanks for reading.

Tuesday seems to be my new update day...

NXT Takeover: Rival - Preview
hqdefault.jpg

As most of you will probably be aware, WWE's 'development' league, NXT, is a barn burner in terms of quality. It's a slick production combined with an old school feel. The stories are fresh, exciting and if they aren't original, they're better than average incarnations of tried and tested formula's.

It isn't perfect (what is?) but it is probably the most consistent and entertaining weekly wrestling show available. And this week is their fifth 'special event' (Network equivelant of a PPV) - Rival, a take-off of the first live special from one year ago, ArRival.

Going through each match, I'll seek to give a quick breakdown of what I expect to happen at the biggest show of the week:

Not Confirmed: Hideo Itami vs. Tyler Breeze

[YOUTUBE]LcUWq-Yq6sk[/YOUTUBE]​

This one's not official but is expected following the attack as seen above.

Hideo Itami has impressed me a lot since coming over, not because he was amazing from the start but because he’s come a long way from his debut match (a meh affair against Justin Gabriel) and being able to speak, at best, broken English to having cracking matches with not just guys like Finn Bálor who’ve honed their skills in Japan, but also with guys who have been brought up through the WWE development system like Breeze and being able to speak well in spite of the language barrier.

On the flip side, Tyler Breeze does some of the best character work in NXT. He’s a self-loving fashionista who has a mean streak a mile long. He’s been ready for that call-up to the main roster for awhile now, and it looked like creative had run out of ideas for him as he took a brief ‘hiatus’ to ‘scout new seasonal homes’ – something which shows the clever creative work of the NXT team as they kept in line with his gimmick without causing any loss of credibility to Breeze.

However Tyler has two storyline’s going on right now. He’s got this rivalry with Itmai which is a standard ‘who’s the better man’ feud, and there’s a slow burn going on too as Breeze is being stalked by a phantom (Marcus Louis who, having lost his hair back in September at Takeover: Fatal Fourway, has become somewhat demented). I’d expect the two to converge at Rival with Tyler, who at this time is apparently oblivious to his stalker, finally realising what’s going on, allowing Itami to score the win, whilst still keeping Breeze and Louis physically apart for now.

Predicted Winner: Hideo Itami

No DQ Match: Baron Corbin vs. Bull Dempsey

This one’s pretty obvious. Corbin has won both matches these two have had in convincing fashion. He was even undefeated until Neville pinned him last week via interference from Dempsey. I expect this to go longer than their previous two encounters with Bull using the stipulation to his advantage, but Corbin should win, one more time, thus ending the battle of the monsters once and for all.

Predicted Winner: Baron Corbin

NXT Tag Team Championships: Blake & Murphy vs. The Lucha Dragons

The least interesting thing on NXT is the tag division. As it stands there are three consistent, regular teams on the show: these two and the Vaudevillians who have lost more or less every big match they’ve participated in. New blood is clearly required in this division.

Blake & Murphy are like two mechanics (as Steve Austin would say) who operate smoothly in the ring but lack depth to their personas. In essence they are the embodiment of the division. They could be a solid pairing given time. Putting the belts on them was perhaps jumping the gun – one of the few times NXT has done this, I may add – but these guys have potential to grow and if they can build on their in-ring talent we could see one of NXT’s best teams ever.

On the flipside, Kalisto and Sin Cara appear to be on the brink of leaving development behind to bring their act to the main roster. There’s little t no reason why Cara & Kalisto should be winning these belts back and at the end of the day, this should cement the new champs. Now get them someone to fight!

Predicted Winner: Blake & Murphy

Fatal Fourway Match for the NXT Women's Championship: Charlotte (C) vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch vs. Bayley

Here’s where the winner’s get bit more difficult to predict. One of the highlights of NXT is the fact that the woman’s division completely shows up the shallow portrayal of the female wrestler’s on the main roster. Charlotte had two top, top quality matches last year when she won the belt against Natalya and when she defended it successfully against Sasha Banks back in December.

She’s had little adversity when it comes to one-on-one matches, having beaten all who have opposed her thus far, but when the numbers catch up to her (in tag matches etc...) her record isn’t quite as good. Thus the winner has been more difficult to predict.

When it comes to Becky Lynch, she’s the only one of the three challengers yet to challenge Charlotte for the gold (silver?) and is the wild card in this whole thing. She teased deserting her ally Banks for the championship and has always said she would eventually take her leave from Sasha’s side to gain the strap. Simultaneously she’s also a pretty good heel who’s beaten down the beloved Bayley and the champ.

Sasha Banks is the person who, as noted previously, has been feuding with Charlotte. She has the most history and, in spite of being pinned in two title matches, has pinned the champ in a tag battle only a few weeks ago. She’s also improved leaps and bounds in a short amount of time.

Then we have Bayley. She’s the goody-two-shoes who finally snapped after months of just coming up short. She’s apologised and shown remorse for attacking the champion, but could she be a mere match away from taking the belt away from her ‘friend’ Charlotte?

My gut reaction is that Charlotte will lose the belt, simply because her winning is the least interesting possibility and a repeat of Paige’s vacating the belt because she makes the step up to the main roster would be redundant. Charlotte has nothing to gain from winning really. So who, of the three challengers, will win?

Sasha would surely have already won back in December if they wanted her holding the title, so I’d rule her out, leaving Bayley and Becky. The most intriguing outcome is Bayley snapping again and gaining the championship as a result.

Predicted Winner: Bayley

NXT Championship #1 Contenders Tournament Final: Adrian Neville vs. Finn Bálor

Neville is a former, and the longest reigning, NXT Champion and defeated Tyson Kidd and Baron Corbin to advance to this match. Bálor only debuted in the autumn but is already clearly ready for the big time. To quote someone ‘he gets the business’. He overcame Curtis Axel and ally Hideo Itami en-route to this point.

This has the potential to be amazing. These two have faced one another before (simply type in PAC vs. Prince Devitt and you’ll be treated to a number of fine encounters) and with the bigger stage and sleeker production values their match could be one for the ages.

Bálor is probably my favourite wrestler down in NXT for a number of reasons, most important is that point I made earlier: he just gets it. He understands what wrestling is and it translates into his work. His entrance is awesome and his matches have all been, at the very least, solid.

In contrast, if not for their main roster exposure, Seth Rollins incredible year and Rusev’s obvious all round improvement, Neville would’ve been credited as the most improved wrestler of last year. He already had the in-ring part down, but last year he developed his character and promo skills to a point where he was universally accepted as probably the guy most likely to get called up sooner rather than later.

As such, Neville has already worked with close to all the main players in NXT (Itami and an extended match with Owens are the only things missing from his track record after Rival) and it’s been talked about for a while that he could be headed for the big leagues. This could be his swan-song, and for that reason, and my obvious bias, Bálor is my pick. Regardless though, this is sure to be a top quality affair.

Predicted Winner: Finn Bálor

NXT Championship Match: Sami Zayn (C) vs. Kevin Owens

[YOUTUBE]XBgbI35memU[/YOUTUBE]​

That promo package sells this story better than I could.

These two have a built in history, the short hand version of which has played out over the past couple of months. Now they collide in what could be as hard hitting a contest as we’ve seen this side of the Pacific/Atlantic.

Owens has only been around two months and has only competed in two matches, and yet his presence has been felt throughout NXT. He’s injured Zayn and, his predecessor as champion, Neville for varying periods of time. He’s dominated both matches he featured in and it’s been played up that he’s made such an impact in such a short time.

The only way to play this up more?

By having Owens actually win the belt and, in his cold-blooded manner bring the emotionally journey of one Sami Zayn to a complete stand-still. Which is why in opposition to this choice, is the fact that Zayn’s entire 18 month journey to the NXT Championship has been such an absorbing journey. To end it so quickly would only create more sympathy for our hero.

Another advantage to Owens taking the gold is that it gets him over even more as a heel. If there is one major criticism of the NXT crowd (who typically add to the experience of the show) it’s that they rarely boo people, regardless of their alignment. They appreciate the work too much, if that’s possible. Having Owens kill their undisputed top hero’s reign, allows for him to be more hated.

The best outcome for this match:

Predicted Winner: Kevin Owens

Given my predictions, this seems to set up Owens vs. Bálor for the future, but I feel that might be a mere maguffin for the longer running, more personal rivalry between Owens and Zayn. It might also be a way to create a title picture and simultaneously a separate main even storyline with Bálor maybe taking the belt in a three way featuring Zayn an Owens. This would move the belt away from Zayn and Owens while establishing their rivalry is deeper than even the championship. Of course, this is mere fantasy booking, and who knows, maybe Nevile wins the tournament in the end and Zayn retains?

Whatever the case, this is set to be a great event and an early potential show of the year contender.

Twice in one week...who do I think I am? Klunberbunker?

NXT Takeover: Rival - Review
NXT-Rival-Results-600x250.jpg

This past Wednesday, NXT broadcast its fifth live special on the WWE Network – Takeover: Rival. With a lot to live up to given the quality of the other specials, did Rival live up to the hype? Many have said so and rave reviews are coming in from many quarters, but did it deliver for me? Let’s find out:

Hideo Itami defeated Tyler Breeze
The show’s bonus match was as predicted with the former KENTA going toe-to-toe with “Prince Pretty”. Tyler Breeze is one of NXT’s greatest self-made stars. He wasn’t a major independent star and came through the rankings at Full Sail in style. He’s got a gimmick that works, an entrance that’s evolved without taking away from its appeal. The fangirl was a nice touch and the selfie stick adds to Breeze’s douche heel nature marvellously.

As for the match, I thought it was a good solid opener, that excelled the battle the pair had a few weeks back in the #1 contenders tournament. Tyler’s a good worker and understands psychology in the ring having gone after and worked on the knee of Itami, knowing that taking those out would take out his most formidable weapon. Itami’s comeback was fine with me and while some have complained at the lack of selling he engaged in, I thought he did fine with his limping and checking the knee. I’ve seen far worse.

Itami’s a good in-ring talent who’s going to have to develop a little more outside the ring in terms of his persona. He’s getting by on being a Japanese bad-ass who kicks people really, really hard, and that’s worked so far, but with NXT set to begin a new cycle, I’d suggest he needs to develop more in terms of his persona. That said he’s come a long way from his initial forays in NXT so I expect him to get better and better as time goes on. Breeze already has a readymade story to pick up in the coming weeks with the Marcus Louis stalking angle.

Grade: B-

We see GM William (Bill) Regal giving Kevin Owens a quick talking to as the announcers hype the main event.

No Disqualification Match – Baron Corbin defeated Bull Dempsey
Not a great battle between these two and there was an ugly botch toward the end where Corbin hit a Cactus clothesline and only he went over while Bull battered off the ropes and then sent himself over, off camera. This was booed loudly and while Corey Graves tried to cover, Bull made it blatantly obvious that they’d messed up. That’s the reason these guys are in NXT though, to learn from these mistakes and learn that some fans are brutal and merciless. It’s trial by fire.

I’m not the biggest fan of either guy but this was passable and a half-decent brawl for the most part. It was about trying to portray Corbin in a bit of bother for once and they did that effectively. Bull, I imagine, is going to be a bottom feeder for awhile in NXT now given this is his third straight loss to Corbin. Bull did save some face however, given that the announcers made a big deal out of the fact that Corbin was able to kick out of his flying headbutt. Baron will move onto bigger things I’m sure, but whether the crowd goes with him remains to be seen.

Bill is giving Sami Zayn a nicer chat than he did Owens as we hype the main event once more.

Becky Lynch and Bayley are getting prepped for their title match later. Speaking of title matches...

NXT Tag Team Championships – Blake & Murphy (C) defeated The Lucha Dragons
And speaking of not great matches...

This one highlighted the biggest issue NXT has with its lack of depth in the tag division, and its general lack of leaders. Sin Cara is the veteran here and even he was botching stuff throughout the match (and this is Hunico, not Mistico under the mask). Someone said elsewhere on the boards that this was a bit like an indie special – lots of cool moves, no actual psychology or plan to the match, just, general cool stuff.

Blake & Murphy for being a competent pair don’t really impress beyond having sound in-ring credentials. Some solid direction, character work and longer matches would likely benefit not only them, but the division as a whole. Meanwhile Sin Cara & Kalisto should be moving out of the title picture for now, at least as solo challengers (I can foresee a multi-team match for the titles at some point sooner rather than later).

While the tag champs celebrate, we get another ‘hack’ from a ‘mysterious source’ which promises that the ‘Takeover isn’t over’ and ‘Has only just begun’, before telling us to ‘Stay tuned for next week’. This is also the first time that the announcers have reacted to the hacks.

We recap the #1 contender’s tournament leading to a pair of sit-down interviews with Adrian Neville and Finn Bálor who recall their journeys to NXT and talk about how similar those journeys were before both state that those are where their similarities end.

NXT Championship, #1 Contenders Tournament Final – Finn Bálor defeated Adrian Neville
Neville wears a gum-shield now. Finn has his body paint and Predator/Venom hybrid thing going on. He even uses the painted on jaw to attack the camera when he’s on the floor. This, naturally, draws a ‘Holy Shit!’ chant, and rightfully so.

This was one match that drew rave reviews and it was the one I was looking forward to most. Whilst I feel it delivered, I’m not as on-board with the tag of ‘instant classic’ as others. To me this was a terrific bout that went through the process of being a slow burner and then a fast a furious fight by the end, but it was all condensed into a fifteen minute encounter. Personally, I’d have wanted it stretched out a little more to make it feel like the real epic showdown, but it was hardly bad.

Highlights included Bálor and Neville trading big kicks, the delayed dropkick into the barricade, Bálor’s swing and miss into a German suplex (seriously check that spot out because it’s like one long liquid move, a sign of true quality) and that second-rope Phoenix Splash from Neville. Some of the near falls were awesome too and the roll-up from Bálor off the Red Arrow was the closest finish I’ve bought for ages.

Ultimately Bálor winning was the right choice as Neville is transitioning into the timely veteran role (I.E. what Cena is doing) before he takes to step up on to the main roster. Finn’s finishing sequence is excellent with that exploding dropkick looking vicious and the Coup de Grâce being a solid, painful looking finisher.

Post match Finn and Adrian shake hands...tentatively. There’s respect there, but they don’t like each other

Sasha Banks and Charlotte are doing their final prep as we cut to a recap of the fourway. Essentially Charlotte is unbeatable one-on-one but is vulnerable in a multi-person match and the other ladies all think they can (and Sasha has) beat the champion.

Fatal Fourway, NXT Woman’s Championship Match – Sasha Banks defeated Charlotte (C), Becky Lynch, Bayley
If one thing’s for sure, it’s that these women can work. There’s been rumours that the WWE higher ups are hesitant to bring Charlotte up to the main roster because she doesn’t look conventionally beautiful. That rumour, if true, just illustrates the major, major issues with WWE and its being run by the same people who were in charge for the last thirty years. That idea is prehistoric garbage and hopefully Triple H puts it to bed over the next few years.

Small rant over and while I liked this match it wasn’t my favourite they’ve done, nor was it the best fourway NXT has produced (see Neville/Zayn/Kidd/Breeze from last year) but it still worked. I was unsure as to who was going to win, with Charlotte being taken out appearing to be perfect fodder for her to build to a comeback, Sasha being in control most of the match, Bayley having explosive bouts of rage and Becky being relatively unproven (we haven’t seen a great deal from her so we weren’t 100% sure what she was going to be doing).

I wasn’t overly enthralled with the finish (Bayley’s Belly-to-Bayley from the top with Sasha stealing the pin would’ve advanced storylines better) but I understood why they went the way they did given that it proves Sasha can beat Charlotte fair and square. That also makes Charlotte the first Woman’s Champion to actually get pinned for the belt. Remarkable when you think about it.

Post match Charlotte offers her the new champ a handshake and they briefly hug before Banks shoves the former champion away and plays up her act as ‘The Boss’.

At this point I want to post the following video which shows how Sasha really does a great job of hiding her emotion...until Renee more or less says ‘it’s okay to let your emotions out’:

[YOUTUBE]um-3UZZ14nw[/YOUTUBE]

That’s awesome, and it’s always cool to see how much it means to these guys.

We recap Zayn/Owens with it being a friendship turned sour by Owens bitterness over Zayn getting the title and shot at NXT before he did and how Owens has to care for his family, so he needs this win. Sami in turn just wants to kick Owens ass.

We go old-school (well, Attitude Era) with the dramatic music and seeing the guys make their way to the Gorilla position before their entrances.

NXT Championship Match – Kevin Owen defeated Sami Zayn (C)
Owens also had great entrance music. This is only his third match in NXT and he debuted two months ago to the day. The crowd is split with Owens getting some boos and some ‘Fight Owens Fight!’ support and Sami getting his usual ‘Ole!’ and ‘Sam-i’ chants. This feels like a big time fight complete with the big match intros from Jo Jo.

This was brutal.

It didn’t start that way though as Owens played the heel card just right, bailing repeatedly. As a result, Sami lost his cool and, to use a cliché, an angry fighter is a sloppy fighter. Thus this created an opening for Owens to beat and wear down Sami. His offence is high impact when it wants to be, but when needs must, he gets down and dirty with forearms, elbows fists and kicks.

Sami mounted his usual heroic comeback, feeding off emotion and the crowd just like he did against Neville back in December. But every time he tried to get anywhere with it Owens cut him off with something big and nasty (a superkick, a lariat etc...). Then, just when the tide seemed to be turning, and Sami’s comeback was enduring for once, with Owens was on the retreat, Sami’s emotion got the better of him.

He went for the springboard moonsault to the outside, wanting to entertain the crowd and do damage to Owens simultaneously. It connected, but so did his head and the ramp. Sami checked his skull was intact, the ref checked for blood. All seemed fine. Zayn set him up for the Helluva Kick. It looked like justice was coming for Kevin Owens. Then Sami faltered. He staggered when doing his run. Owens caught him with the pop-up powerbomb...for two. The people’s champ kicked out.

Then Owens went back to the fighting tactics that bring him to the dance and battered Sami like a cod. He executed two more powerbombs...for two. Zayn refused to die. So Owens repeated. One powerbomb. Two power--nope. The trainers told the ref to stop it. He did and rang the bell. It was all over. Kevin Owens, that thuggish, brutal, violent man who would do anything it took to get a better life to his family and would fight ugly if need be, was the new NXT Champion.

The story was masterful. Owens did what had to be done to take out Sami. He played the game perfectly, baiting him and overpowering him. And then, when Sami finally gained the upper hand, it was his emotions that cost him. Owens capitalised, but still couldn’t beat Sami. He kept kicking out. It was Sami that beat Sami and as such, Kevin Owens is champion.

Grade: A+

Closing Thoughts
Great show which built nicely as per the usual NXT methods with the three big matches all delivering when they needed to. Zayn and Owens was a master-class in telling a story while Neville/Bálor was your highlight reel match and the ladies, yet again, show what you can do with a properly built woman’s division. NXT delivers as always. Not their best show, but certainly not their weakest either.

Let's try something new...

So the idea here is to, every few weeks or so, talk about a film that many may not know about. These will be a mixture of forgotten classics, cult hits and overlooked features amongst others. The aim is to introduce a different style and a different era of cinema to those who may not have been exposed to these films before. So let's start with an interesting little ditty entitled Hell in the Pacific.

From the Vault #1 - Hell in the Pacific (1968, John Boorman)
hell-in-the-pacific-1968-directed-by-john-boorman.jpg

Set during the final years of the Second World War, two veterans, one from the American forces (Lee Marvin), one from the Japanese (Toshiro Mifune - Akira Kurosowa's go to leading man), are stranded on a pacific island. At first they are, naturally, enemies, but eventually they come to respect one another and establish an uneasy alliance.

The concept of the film is simple; take two of cinema's biggest bad-asses (Marvin and Mifune) and strand them on an island where they must come into direct conflict. Thus their physicality is focused on and their unique, yet similar, persona's are highlighted. All the while, a message is being put across concerning the futile nature of war.

Like a large core of the war film genre, this is anti-war. It shows that while having a war is understandable as a means to survive and protect your patch (a metaphor visually brought to life by Mifune and Marvin's separate domains on the island) it is ultimately a fruitless act that can be ended by a reaching of an understanding between the two warring parties.

Filmed in the North Pacific, Rock Islands of Palau, the natural beauty of an 'untouched' contrasts wonderfully with the barbarism of war and even on the small private battle that Marvin and Mifune engage in. It is a tranquil realm interrupted by a scarring event, one that neither side can understand fully as they don't speak the language of the other.

To capture this confusion fully, director John Boorman deliberately presents no subtitles. We know (as English speakers) what Marvin says, but only through Mifune's brilliant mannerisms can we somewhat understand him. I imagine for the Japanese it was vice-versa and Marvin's mannerisms would work in a similar manner. It is a clever mirror technique that translates well, ironically.

Through this, the physicality is brought to the forefront of our mind and we see the actors for what they are, stars whose main attraction is their physical prowess and power. For example, this scene:

[YOUTUBE]TWujmzh9KkU[/YOUTUBE]​

You can see the pain of war etched on both men's faces - something of an art imitating life moment as both Marvin and Mifune served in the war. What should also not be underestimated is how powerful scenes like this are given the historical context: the Vietnam war was still ragining and Marvin's face here is covered in what is clearly mud, but could be construed (if this were set in Vietnam) as napalm.

The ending to the film is a critique that is somewhat jarring in contrast to the simplicity of the island scenes. Its message does fit in with the general theme and it does link to the earlier visual metaphor of Mifune and Marvin each being tied and beaten in a manner similar to the crucifixion, however it is somewhat rushed and the relationship that has been built between the two men feels like it could be explored further.

Complete with Lalo Schifrin (Dirty Harry (1971, Don Siegel), Cool Hand Luke (1968, Stuart Rosenberg) etc...) providing a moody, atmospheric score, the film feels like a truly captivating feature. It is unlike other films of the period in its bare basics approach and exotic setting as well as its star power. For those interested in more Mifune by the way, watch the video below for some of his finest moments, including one or two from Hell in the Pacific:

[YOUTUBE]fpvR2GuHpi8[/YOUTUBE]

I hope you enjoyed reading this and I hope this becomes a recurring feature and I have the new three or so films lined up for this segment. If you have any suggestions regarding this feature and any thoughts on Hell in the Pacific, Marvin and Mifune's career/talents, the war film or anything related to this in general, I encourage you to comment below.

Thanks for reading!

WWE-Fastlane-ppv-logo-Fast-Lane.png

Last Sunday was the final PPV/special event for WWE before their biggest show of the year - WrestleMania! Replacing the now standard Elimination Chamber, did Fast Lane deliver the goods or was it just a petty pit-stop en-route to the big show? Let's investigate...

Six Man Tag Team Match – The Authority (Seth Rollins, Kane and The Big Show) defeated Dolph Ziggler, Ryback and Erick Rowan
I thought the match moved along at a fairly decent rate with some solid selling from Rowan and good big man work from Ryback. Ziggler was his usual self which means your mileage may vary, but I don't mind him at all as a face. The heels were heels and they did their thing, with Rollins yet again acting up his heel role in a way that (intriguingly) reminds me of Orton circa this point last year, taking time to irritate the crowd, talk trash to them, pose etc...

My biggest issue here was yet again the protection of the giants as Big Show and Kane together were able to score a win over Ziggler. The fact that on SmackDown Kane got beat by Ryback clean in minimal time and yet here scored a pin over Ziggler likely won't do the WWE any favours in the 'they like a certain look' department. Match was fine, the conclusion was dim.

Randy Orton's return was fine if not a bit dim - why wait until all the other faces have been beaten down, hell why wait until the match was over, Rollins would be expecting the attack less if it were during a match. Of course this is trying to apply logic to wrestling; not exactly the best idea.

Nevertheless, Orton vs. Rollins for Mania has me very excited as they already tore the house down once last year on Raw and they can damn sure do it again if given time on the grand stage with a personal vendetta to be settled. Also, Rollins plays his role perfectly.

Dusty Rhodes tells Goldust to not hurt Cody, A.K.A. Stardust before the battle of the brothers.

Goldust defeated Stardust
The idea here was fine, hell it was good actually. Goldust doesn't want to hurt his brother so he tries hard to make peace throughout and wins via a roll-up. Meanwhile Stardust in unhinged and wants to prove a point that he's superior. That said, the match was dull. The crowd was dead (as it was for the majority of the night) and this match did not help that. The psychology was good but it was just so slow and lacked real energy or urgency. The finish being botched didn't help matters either.

John Stewart and Seth Rollins challenge each other via social media - could be an entertaining angle coming here.

In the back, Dusty thanks Goldust for not harming his brother. Stardust pops up to beat down Goldust and tell Dusty that it's his fault that he's like this, referencing that Dusty put them together in the autumn of 2013. The story continues to intrigue even if the match was poor.

WWE Tag Team Championships - The Uppercats(/The Brass Ring Club/The Master's of the WWE Universe/Tyson Kidd & Cesaro) defeated The Usos (C)
The Usos, regardless of what people say or think are a damn fine team. They have a gimmick, they work it sufficiently and they wrestle well. Is their act a little stale? I suppose so, but they still seem to get the reaction desired from the live crowds (well except here where the ressurection of Jesus himself would've been met with passive silence). Meanwhile your heel challengers are a fresh team with a fancy array of moves both individually and as a tandem. This was always going to gel and indeed it did.

It could be said that Cesaro and Tyson Kidd have been handed a rough slot in WWE, having to work in arguably its least active division, however they haven't just phoned in average performances, they've seen this as an oppertunity and have impressed with several good tag encounters with a variety of opponents. It's perhaps time for a fresh team on top (for a prolounged period of time I mean) and while I look forward to the rematch between these tandems, I'm excited to see what Cesaro/Kidd can do with others on the roster that little bit more.

Cool moments here include that Cesaro superplex/Kidd elbow move (could easily be a finisher), the brawling that lead to the barricade samoan drop, Cesaro helping Kidd by protecting him (largely) from the Usos double team moves and the Cesaro/Kidd bromance usurping Natalya/Kidd's relationship yet again.

We recap Triple H versus Sting which is essentially Triple H saying he killed WCW and Sting should've stayed dead with it, having embarrassed the Authority twice in the last few months.

The segment between these two was excellent for my money. They played it just right, having Sting say nothing and yet match Triple H move for move in spite of "The Game's" promo. The circling Sting was a great call-back to the Survivor Series debut and worked like a Faustian situation with the devil sat on Sting's shoulder. In turn the battle of the trademark weapons was great too, Sting's ball-bat making its debut here to counteract the old trusted equaliser; the Sledgehammer.

After requesting the match with Hunter, Sting leaves him laying. If there's one guy to get a sure fire good match out of an old-time hand it's Triple H. I'm looking forward to the battle between these two and it will be quite the spectacle to see Sting wrestle for WWE on the grandest stage.

Divas Championship – Nikki Bella (C) defeated Paige
Good grief. I know the Bellas have improved fairly drastically in terms of their in-ring contributions. I know Paige is a good wrestler. I know the Divas work hard but good freaking grief their division sucks at the moment. In comparison to the time, characters and quality on display in NXT women’s division, the Divas are being left far behind. I though the match was passable and the story leading up to it was fine, but man the match was just slow, sluggish and dull. Certain things were mistimed and Paige was audibly calling spots a one point. Just…ugh.

Grade: D-

Intercontinental Championship – Bad News Barrett (C) defeated Dean Ambrose (Via DQ)
This was a blatant set-up for a future story for the IC title, not that that’s a bad thing. In fact it’s a good thing and this felt like a fairly important match given its positioning on the card. Ambrose vs. BNB, with more time and a longer programme, could be a terrific midcard war. The restrictions that were in place (time and finish) for this meant that it didn’t really have the opportunity to be anything of note though.

Ambrose as the wild cat who gets DQ’d just because he’s so freaking nuts is fine and it appears he’s the heir apparent to Mankind/Mick Foley in this regard. BNB as a cowardly heel is something I’m not totally on board with given the amount of those around in wrestling in general (right up there with generic cocky heel), but he’s playing the role well and him bailing after throwing all but the Bullhammer at Ambrose worked nicely to set up the finish. Not bad, but more watch this spot than anything else. Also, Ambrose’s work on the mic, bigging up the title has been stellar both before, during and after this show.

The Gregorian chants that usually signal the arrival of a certain Phenom echo out and then druids arrive with burning torches. You know what’s coming. There goes the gong and a casket is wheeled out. It’s WrestleMania season which means only one thing; Bray Wyatt?

I loved this segment also. Bray emerging from the coffin to the shocked response of the crowd was wonderfully done and his promo was perfectly in line with what he’s been saying the last few weeks. He’s managed to be cryptic and yet string a story along that makes sense and doesn’t have to be hidden under layer and layers of riddles that have nothing to do with anything. If there’s one criticism of the Wyatt character it has to be that his promos are at time just nonsensical, cool-sounding gibberish.

He built the promo up without dropping the name and it takes talent to do that. He stringed everyone along and even though we all knew what was coming, when he finally said it was The Undertaker he was calling out the crowd reaction reflected the quality of his work. I was in the anti-Undertaker returning camp this year and this angle has me changing my mind. I’m excited to see what the two unholy monsters of the past and present can do. Should be good to say the least.

United States Championship Match – Rusev (C) defeated John Cena
I’ve been excited about this for awhile. Rusev is very reminiscent of Umaga down to the taped up bare feet, and he and Cena had one of my favourite matches at Royal Rumble 2007. I’ve also been comparing this to Sting/Vader which is a great feud. This match didn’t disappoint. It was an old-school battle of the muscle bound beasts with Cena being the veteran and Rusev being the hot-shot rookie with an undefeated streak. He’s been built not just as a 2-D monster but as an absolutely dominant force.

The finish for this was obvious, but it was the right way to go: Rusev cheating to get Cena into a position where he didn’t give up but still lost. The Accolade is being built as a truly major finisher that is close to being impossible to escape (Cena nearly did it, but it was Rusev who relinquished the hold to hit him below the belt) and when Cena breaks out of it at WrestleMania (the logical progression here) it’s going to mean something. The finish also plays up Rusev’s heelishness whilst simultaneously making him look strong because even after that he made Cena pass out via his usual finishing offence.

A major complaint about this angle is that Cena worked with another youngster in Bray Wyatt last year circa Mania, and that he set Wyatt’s career back by a) beating him at WrestleMania to end his winning streak, b) by not taking a pinfall or submission loss to Wyatt, and c) winning the feud overall. Thus far, Rusev has gained a win over Cena, via submission, and in doing it before WrestleMania it creates the feeling that Rusev’s victory means something, thus necessitating the rematch so Cena can try and get revenge. It’s a classic formula that Hogan worked back in the 80’s/early 90’s. Wyatt’s victory in turn did not work as it merely felt like a necessity to prolong the feud into another month.

Roman Reigns defeated Daniel Bryan
This was Roman’s coming out party. He needed a credible adversary to put him over one-on-one so as to prove he could hang in there. He was brutalised and beaten about for 20 minutes by Bryan and gave as good as he got. He took on the smartest wrestler in WWE and the most capable in-ring talent and came out the winner. This was exactly what it needed to be if they were going with Reigns as the guy. As for Bryan, he again showed why he’s one of the best in the business and why he’s regarded so highly amongst his fan base.

It was stiff, hard fought, violent and vicious at times. Reigns kicking out of the Knee was excellently done as it had put down everyone including Triple H and John Cena. Roman was also able to bring something to the table, offering a tit-for-tat element, throwing his body into his brawling, power moves and fast paced style, counteracting Bryan’s own fast-paced work. They did a great job and Reigns proved he can hang with the best. Bring on Lesnar.

Grade: A

The show closes as Bryan tells Reigns to kick Brock Lesnar’s ass. It would seem that while done for now, we may be revisiting this encounter in the near(ish) future.

Closing Thoughts
Fast Lane was a show which existed simply to set the stage for WrestleMania. Its purpose could’ve been achieved in a few Raw’s, but WrestleMania being a mere five weeks away now (33 days as I write this) it was perhaps a necessary piece of the puzzle and I’m not complaining about it because overall this was a solid show. A few dodgy battles with some entertaining undercard action here and there, a couple of well done promo segments setting up two Mania matches and the two main events delivering. Not bad at all…

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back