First Round: Philadelphia - JBL vs. Steven Richards

Discussion in 'The Tokyo Region' started by klunderbunker, Apr 19, 2010.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. John Bradshaw Layfield

2. Steven Richards

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round matchup in the Philadelphia Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

Location: The First Union Center: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]

John Bradshaw Layfield

[​IMG]

Vs.

Steven Richards

[​IMG]

Voting is open for 4 days.

2. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

Stevie is an extremely consistent wrestler, but JBL really shined in his last WWE run. The guy showed that he's not only tough, but he's deserving of a WWE championship. And since Stevie never reached those heights, I've gotta give my nod to JBL.

3. Thriller Ant

Thriller Ant Beep Bop Boop

The location helps Stevie, but he still won't win. JBL had a dominant run as champ on SmackDown and was the best heel in the company during his last run before retiring. Stevie will put up a pretty good fight, but a Clothesline From Hell will win this for JBL.

4. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

Even your try to pick Steven Richards who had about three matches ever it's Stevie here. Every way, the home town advantage is definitely a huge factor in this. Plus with the bWo/JBL beef that went on in 2005 (you know when the Blue meanie defeated JBL?!). So even in his peak JBL lost to one of the weaker members of the bWo so logic would say Stevie takes this in a walk.

5. Baller

Baller WZCW Veteran

I have to go with JBL on this one. He was the top heel in the WWE for a good year when he had the longest reigining WWE title and that says a lot in the WWE era of recent times. Richards is good crafty wrestler, but it will do him no good against JBL.

6. pun2003hh

pun2003hh BUILDING KICK!!! EXPLOSIONS!!!

The bottom line is JBL meant more to the WWE during his main event run then Stevie meant to ECW during his top run in the bWo. I personally think JBL is a bit underrated. He still is an ass at times, but you've got to give it to him. A pretty entertaining year long title reign gives JBL the win in my eyes.

7. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

On the criteria of who would win a match if they squared off for real, I think I am going to have to go with Stevie Richards.

I have always been a fan of JBL and whilst he did go further, in terms of success, I don't think that he is half the wrestler that Stevie Richards is and was. Personally, I always thought that JBL was very lucky to happen into the main event scene on Smackdown originally and that his wrestling left a lot to be desired. Richards, on the other hand, is a better wrestler than JBL by far. He is solid in the ring and is wonderfully talented between the ropes.

As a member of RTC though, he didn't showcase that brilliantly. He was a ring-leader and very rarely got his hands dirty. I have called him Stevie throughout this post because I feel that as "Stevie Richards", he is a better wrestler and not just a whiny little bitch for the RTC.

Richards for me.

8. a0161613

a0161613 WZCW's Mr Excitement

I don't like it but JBL gets this just because of his runs and achievements. Even losing at Mania in 10 seconds is more than Stevie ever did, despite Stevie being entertaining and consistent.

9. GenMe

GenMe GenMe

Stevie is a good extreme wrestler, He will go over the limit and give us a hell of a match, But after all he's not in the same leve as JBL. JBL was the best heel in smackdown before he retired, and he also had a very good WWE championship reing in smackdown. JBL was dominant and excellent inside the ring. So this match and vote goes to JBL.

10. Blade

Blade "Original Blade"

Surprisingly, both of these men have one major thing in common. They managed to get over with two completely different gimmicks. Richards went from bWo to Right To Censor, and got over both times. JBL went from APA to... Well, JBL and was over both times. I think that's an interesting similarity.

Right now, it's hard to vote against JBL. Tag team champion, US champion and he had a hell of a WWE title reign. In terms of performance... Well, Richards was a bit of an all-rounder. He could fit into any style, any type of match and he'd be able to pull out something decent, very versatile. Meanwhile, JBL only put on great matches when he was in a gimmick match, or at least a match where blood flowed, like his I Quit match with Cena and that match with Eddie Guerrero.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards JBL. But I'm willing to listen to Stevie Richards arguements to try sway my vote. That means you Lee!

11. Ferbian

Ferbian Has Returned.

To me this is pretty obvious, I'm gonna throw it onto JBL, I think he was great during the JBL gimmick, and even before that he was pretty good, I've always liked JBL in the ring, and his Clothesline from hell (as opposed to Stan Hansen's Lariat) looks like it killed you, especially the smaller guys.

And to me, while I know Stevie Richards is pretty okay (I must admit I'm a little dry in his section) I simply don't see him winning this one, probably mainly because of JBL's dominance outshining the stuff Stevie did, and the WWE title reign is most likely what's gonna cause my vote to fall on JBL, so JBL it is.

12. Lee

:lmao:

[YOUTUBE]m153WP2MoEs[/YOUTUBE]

compare that to this

[YOUTUBE]7PO_aGKBYv4[/YOUTUBE]

These two promos just show that Steven Richards as a heel is greater than anything JBL can produce, so please come up with a better argument than "JBL was a better heel" as it is obvious he was not.

13. Mr. Truth

Mr. Truth Real American Hero

JBL. The self proclaimed wrestling god would go Stevie Richards (in any gimmick). One Clothesline from Hell is all it takes for the 3 count.

14. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

Lee does bring up the fact that JBL lost to a member of the bWo but what he didn't state was that Batista gave The Blue Meanie a little bit of help and when would JBL's peak be since that happened three or so months after losing the title?

Stevie Richards can hold his own on the ring and would be a tough out for JBL and I will give him that. JBL gets so much flak on his boring style but that is what he does best. He grounds and pounds on his opponent the entire match just to set up the Clothesline from Hell. I believe he will have a problem with Richards' speed and quickness at first but he will ground him enough so he can work on him from there. In terms of outside interference, Richards had the bWo and RTC while JBL had his Cabinet so that evens out in my opinion. JBL wins this in a battle.

15. thrilla11

thrilla11 Pre-Show Stalwart

John Bradshaw Layfield went from a popular face as a member of the Acolytes to a hated heel as a wall street millionaire. By doing so, he became the longest reigning champion in Smackdown history which lasted for 280 days. He had it all; money, limos, a cabinet, the beautiful Amy Weber and carried Smackdown when he reigned as champion. I don't think this is even a contest. JBL is a triple crown champion and a grand slam winner. His clothesline from hell is devastating and was feared as it looked like he decapitated his opponents at times. I really enjoyed Stevie when he was apart of Right to Censor but this wasn't a good match up for him in the first round. This match has a 20 minute time limit but I see this match as a squash in under 10. The bar room brawler wins with the Clothesline from Hell in impressive fashion.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Lee

It would still be in that period I would say his peak is.

Correct

Do you even know what you're saying...he will slowly ground Stevie? I don't get that...the best people JBL was against were the smaller guys, the likes of Eddie, even Rey to a lesser extent...you forget that Stevie is 6'2 which is a lot bigger than 5'8.

Also take into account the Hardcore championship, Stevie had three of his wins over Bradshaw. This when Stevie was far from his beak (granted Bradshaw wasn't either)

The Bashams and Orlando Jordan would stop Meanie, Novo, Goodfather, Buchanan and Venis? :lmao: Good one...

17. Sharp_Shooter

Sharp_Shooter Dark Match Winner

Well if that's the case, wouldn't it be even harder for Richards to kick out when he gets blasted with that Clothesline? Thrilledher made a good point about location, but the only way Richards could squeak out a victory is if this was under ECW rules and Richards had Dreamer in his corner with pom poms and a skirt. LOL. JBL beats Richards in any point of his career.

18. Lee

No because it's in his beak...Stevies peak was before the injury, JBLs was after. If you think Stevies ECW career consisted of Dreamer you need to know about bWo, Francine heck even Raven.

Good try but nope, not going to happen and as I said earlier, Bradshaw lost to Stevie three times, so obviously he can beat him.

19. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

Vote Stevie Richards. And here's why. This philedelphia. Stevie Richards is in his element. JBL has not a chance here. Philly is Stevie's territory. This is HIS area. JBL is good but he's not good enough to overcome this. Stevie's got this covered. If you don't believe me then look at this:

20. Blue Chipper

Blue Chipper Shapeshifting Humanoid

At Summerslam 2006, Cena was in his comfort zone (Boston, Massachusetts) but you know the outcome? He lost. The following ppv, Edge was in his element, in Canada, and he lost. This is an unacceptable reasoning.

I voted JBL. During his tenure on Smackdown as WWE champion, he regularly defeated the Big Show, Kurt Angle, and the Undertaker. While Richards is solid in his own right, and enjoyable to watch, he hasn't defeated the high caliber of superstars JBL has.

21. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

While Cena was in his element, Lita caused him to lose. He would have won if not for her. Stevie's in Philly and it's ECW territory. Stevie wrestled until 99 in Philly and owned that territory. he's familure with the surroundings while JBL isn't. Fans would do all they could to irrate Layfield which may not help but sure as hell doesn't hurt. Richards is solid in the ring and Layfield isn't as good. Vote Big Stevie Cool.

22. Scotty

Scotty I have a PHD in Horribleness

I say John Bradshaw Layfield gets the win here. Don't get me wrong, Steven Richards has a tremendous amount of talent, but he would have been fed to JBL. I could see Steven putting up somewhat of a fight, but I think JBL would have gotten the win pretty quickly with the Clothesline From Hell.

23. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Stevie Richards was good at, and probably still is, good at making you think he might win a match that is essentially a squash against him. That's pretty much what he'd do here. JBL has a history of losing to lower carders throughout his career - Blue Meanie and Boogeyman spring to mind immediately, but I don't think Stevie is in the comedy category enough to be able to capitalise. If this was who would I want to watch on loop, it would be Stevie, but in terms of who would actually win a match when the chips were down, it'd be JBL, I'm afraid to say.

24. TLC

TLC Yeah, bitch! Magnets!

I think some people are selling Richards a bit short. Richards is a damn good wrestler and I have always liked him, but I have to give the win to JBL. The fact that he has beaten some huge names including Angle, Big Show, Eddie and a list of other names. Although he never got the win without having to bend the rules who's to say he wouldn't in this match. I can Stevie doing well in this match but I have to give my vote to JBL.

25. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

This thread is going to make me sound like a giant hypocrite, considering what I just wrote in the Danielson v. DDP thread, but who gives a shit.

JBL. It sucks because I despise this man, but there is no denying what he was able to do in 2005. The guy was a career nobody, or a decent (that's being more then fair) tag team wrestler. Big star after big star began to fall in front of him, and walla. A career of being patient and waiting for an opportunity (oh and the entire racial comments thing) paid off, and JBL was greeted with one of the longest WWE title reigns in recent memory. A 9 month run in this era is probably the equivalent of a ten year run in era's past.

As far as Stevie, I fucking loved Stevie, from 1995 - 1997. Big Stevie Cool was one of those guys that had the luck of being put into the "Next Shawn Michaels" category, but Stevie fucked that up. Paul Heyman was set to push this guy to the moon. Raven was departing for WCW, and the door was wide open for Stevie to make a name for himself...Instead, Stevie takes the money, goes to WCW, and is quickly buried, never recovers from it (Injury aside). He had glimpses of what he once was, but the RTC bored me to tears. His only claim to fame, multiple runs with the WWE hardcore title.

Stevie is simply outmatched by JBL.