First Round: Detroit - Curt Hennig vs. Christian

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Curt Hennig

• Christian

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round matchup in the Detroit Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

palace.jpg

Curt Hennig

300_69965.jpg

Vs.

Christian

ECW-Christian-Returns-to-WWE-2.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

I like Christian but I'm not going to vote for him. The fact is Curt Hennig was a better in ring wrestler and had several high profile moments/matches in his career. He's been involved in some of the best matches of the 90's. Look up him vs. Bret at SummerSlam 91'. It's a classic. Christian too has been involved in good matches but his matches have seen multiple participants and mainly tag matches never one on one affairs. Hennig himself was great out of the ring too. As a member of the Heenan family, Hennig was truly excellent and some of the promos he did with Ric Flair & Bobby heenan are magnificant. It was also the subtle things that he did that made him great, for example, at the 2002 Royal Rumble, hennig was beating Stone Cold down in the corner when he spat his gum up in the air and swatted it away, that reeked of cocky heel and he played that role to a t. Christian's good but he's no Mr. Perfect.

Kayfabe: Curt Henning is perfect. Christian is....Edge's brother. He used to be a vampire.

Performance: Curt Henning was power and grace blended quite nicely. He competed as a fairly technical wrestler in a time of body builders and giants. Christian has some good moves to him, included a decent history and capability in gimmick matches. But as this isn't a gimmick match, Henning holds the advantage.

Personal: As much as I loved to hate the old Edge and Christian tag team, Curt Henning was who I wanted to be as a kid. Not Hogan, not Savage, not Warrior. I wanted to be this smug asshole who did everything perfectly. He was a natural.

I'm giving this one to Mr. Perfect.

Curt Hennig outclasses christian on the mic and in the ring hes held the awa world title for over a year christians tWo nwa heavyweight title rigns dont equal that mr perfect held the intercontinental belt twice for 406 days christians two intercontinental title reigns dont even reach 100 Hennig is a great ring technician christian is a slightly above average worker hennig was a member of the NWO the 4 horseman and he also had madusa accompany him to the ring Hennig had a better gimmick in mr perfect than christian did with captain charisma or the instant classic(even though it was the same thing) hennig has beaten countless wrestlers in this tournament and had great match after great match (see me for footage if you dont believe me) christians greatest match was tlc with many other men christian has a better finisher ill admit that but he still dont beat hennig

vote hennig in 2010

To me this is gonna be a tough one really.

Seeing as both have been doing great in their career, and my personal love for Christian is gonna make it a lot harder, Christian being able to put on some amazing matches with a lot of people, no matter if the stipulation is present or not.

On and other hand, Curt is.. perfect.. he's a great wrestler, and had a great move set, this guy was pretty cool on the microphone, and this far he's achieved much more in the business than Christian has, or possibly ever could imagine to.

And if they were to face each other, Curt would pull out of this after a grueling match, but would pretty firmly be putting a perfect-plex on Christian for the 3 count.

Although I think it's a shame Christian and Curt had to meet at this point, I wish they'd face off in the gimmick matches and in a ladder match, cause then I wouldn't have to vote against a guy I really like.

Curt Hennig, cause it's the only right choice in this match.

I like Christian a lot, but I would have to say that he loses this one. Both of them have the same sort of story in that they have been overlooked and were both the main champion in minor companies but have been confined to the midcard in the most popular. However, the difference is that where Hennig bossed the midcard, beating everyone in it in his time, and feuding for world titles, Christian has just bounced from story to story without ever really stepping up to the metaphorical plate. He's extremely popular and a great entertainer, but he isn't as important as Hennig was in his day and nor has he truly carved his name into wrestling history.

I like Christian, I really do, but there is no way I can give him the win in this one. christian to me is a very good midcard performer, but this is Curt Henning we're talking about. Henning was a top notch grade a performer; technically superior to just about everyone he faced in the ring, only a few exceptions to this.I see the two of them having a nip and tuck match with neither one appearing really dominant until the end when Henning hits the fisherman's suplex for the 1-2-3.

Christian has a whole forum of fans, me included. He is one of the most over stars in the business today and many consider him underrated and believe he should be a world champion. Curt Hennig is Mr. Perfect and was the star of the AWA. I'm throwing the AWA out really, even with that Hennig still gets my vote over Christian. I'm a fan of both and I believe Hennig got a bit overrated after he passed, but what superstars aren't. This could be one of the best matches of the tournament and I got Perfect winning after nailing a Perfect Plex following a counter of Christian's Killswitch.

im a huge christian fan. but i gotta go with Hennig. however, think about how different this match could be if Christian was given the push that most of us feel he deserves. i cant help but think that christian would win if he hadnt left for TNA

I don't believe this shit. So Curt Hennig beats Christian in a landslide, but Hansen couldn't even nip him in an ECW match last year? I really don't know about this forum sometimes. Hennig is a far superior athlete and wrestler to Christian, who's basically been a mid-carder all his life in an era of weak mid-card talent. Curt Hennig was a mid-carder when the mid-card was vital to the WWF. Bigger matches against bigger stars help him beat Christian easily.

Hennig wins.

I feel that this match could go either way, but Christian is losing so I'm gonna give him some love. Here's why.

Christian, albeit a general midcarder for life (no different than Perfect, really) has defeated top names. Okay, or a top name. Sting. Curt Hennig is as technical as they come, but he couldn't figure out a way to defeat guys like Sting. Why does this matter? Well, obviously Christian figured it out - he did it his first try.

Again, this match could easily go both ways and I don't care who wins. I personally just believe people are looking at Christian being too much of this "former vampire turned sidekick brother", and not what he truly has been.. which is a former World Heavyweight Champion, thats defeated names like; Kurt Angle, Sting, Jeff Jarrett & Edge.

Yeah, I think this is closer than most of you guys think too. Both are midcarders, Christian has actually picked up more big wins than Perfect, I dunno.

Christian's record against Kurt Angle, someone pretty close to a modern day Curt Hennig, really makes me want to vote Christian. He does seem to hold up well against the technical grapplers.. however, too frequently even now he makes mistakes and gets caught - Perfect loves to capitilise on those mistakes with a quick perfectplex, which Christian isn't getting out of ever.

I take Perfect, it's close though.

It can be argued that Christian has beaten people very similar to Hennig's style (Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit) on several occasions, but Hennig is better than those guys, but Christian is very good at adapting to his oppenent as well, he has beaten guys bigger than Hennig (Abyss, Zeke, Samoa Joe etc) so this one is very close but I'm going with Christian especially since he is really good at pulling out a win at the last moment and using heel tactics would work to his advantage.

Mr. Perfect gets my vote.

I will also say that I am a big Christian fan. Christian is very entertaining he is a top fan favorite in the WWE right now, he is a multi time tag team champion and a two time ECW champion, but one thing about his career is that he wouldn't of have all that success if it wasn't for Edge.

Curt was just awesome to watch each match was very entertaining to watch. He had tons of Charisma, very good ring skill and awesome mic skills he was just a triple threat.

Curt hennig wins.

I love both of these guys. Both are fantastic wrestlers whom put on great matches all the time. They are both very versatile and can work with any style. Both are great on the mic and pull of some great promo's. They were both very over with the crowd. Both guys career's are very similar. They both have held multiple championships but never got the big one no matter how much they deserved it.

This match could guy either way and all it would take is a Perfect plex or a quick Killswitch. This match would probably be my favourite to watch out of every first round match. Their styles would mesh very well and put on an outstanding match which would go for about 20 minutes.

The winner though has got to be Christian. It is so tight between the two that I have to go for personal preferance. I love Christian and is in my top 10 favourite of all time. My man Christian goes over Henning in this one but it would be a close match and a classic encounter.

Two guys who are and were loved by the fans, great in the ring, and never got the big shot in the WWE. Hennig however was huge in AWA at a time when if your last name wasn't Gagne, you had a hard time being over. And Hennig was massively over, one of the most ever during AWA.

Christian did something similar in TNA, when he was the NWA champion. Very hard to vote on this one, I voted for Christian, mostly because he was losing, and I tried to make it as much of a tie as I could.

Not even the biggest fanboys should fool themselves into thinking that one of the greatest in-ring performers of all time would fall at the hands of Christian. Even though these two men were (and are) midcard performers at the cusp of breaking through the main event, glass ceiling, Curt Henning was far more superior.

Simply put, defeating Nick Bockwinkel for the AWA Championship and holding it for 53 weeks > Christian winning the NWA Championship in TNA.

Curt Henning is probably the greatest performer to NEVER win a WWE world championship while being on its roster. There's no way he'd lose to Christian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back