Final Updated NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2016 Card

Papa Pillman

I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
The tragic earthquake in Japan this week has caused New Japan to cancel the sister card that was gonna co-headline the Road to Wrestling Dontaku tour, resulting in a reworking of the cards for the tour, and leading to to the big PPV show being even more loaded on paper than its original plan. The card that will be presented now is absolutely loaded and could deliver a night of wrestling that will give this year's Wrestle Kingdom a run for its money as the company's best performance this year.

Wrestling Dontaku - May 3, 2016

Juice Robinson and Captain New Japan vs. Yujiro and Fale
I'm expecting this to be short(like 5-7 minutes) and inoffensive. It should work as a squash to feature Fale looking like a monster. Yujiro and the Captain's work can be hidden a bit, and Juice should get a chance to shine for a short segment as well. Likely to be a decent opener.

David Finlay, Jay White, Taguchi, and Tiger Mask IV vs. The Chaos junior heavies
This will likely only get a few minutes as well, but should be loaded with fun stuff. YOSHI-HASHI, Taguchi, and Tiger Mask are reliable and the chance to see Ospreay work all of the guys on the other side(especially the super-prospect showdown with the shining young boy White) will make this match worth catching.

IWGP Jr. Tag titles- RPG Vice(c) vs. Sydal and Ricochet
This is the first of three rematches of the Invasion Attack tag title encounters. The first edition of this match was great; no reason this one shouldn't follow up at the same level.

Yoshitatsu, Tanahashi, and Elgin vs. The Elite(Omega and The Bucks)
This is also a rematch from the last supershow, where Tana and friends took the Club's NEVER six-man belts. This rematch is non-title though; likely so the Elite can get their win back without it meaning that the company must hot-potato these new belts yet again.

IWGP Heavyweight tag titles- Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa(c) vs. Great Bash Heel(Honma and Makabe)
Wrapping up the tag title rematches is the return engagement from Invasion Attack's weakest offering. While its only his second major match with the promotion, and while he's already wearing a belt, this could be a make or break match for Tanga Loa(Camacho/Micah) with New Japan after he looked out of his league at the last PPV. Likely the brothers will retain their belts here.

NEVER Openweight title- Shibata(c) vs. Yuji Nagata
This is the logical culmination(?) of the current Shibata versus the grumpy New Japan old guard angle. After some of the fabulously refreshing matches that Nagata put on at last summer's G1, this has potential to be another fun reminder of the abilities of one of the all-time greats. Shibata should pull a strong style war out of the aging master.

IWGP Jr. title- KUSHIDA(c) vs. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger
Another all time legend who can still go in small doses gets a title shot on this card against one of the company's top in prime performers. Liger and KUSHIDA will surely craft something highly entertaining that will likely be kept as the shortest title match on the card.

Goto vs. EVIL
This is the first of the major showcases on this card of New Japan's hottest angle- Los Ingobernables de Japon versus Chaos. This match should be about as hard hitting as it gets, with these two brutalizing each other until Goto likely scores the victory.

Okada vs. SANADA
This is the second of the Chaos/LIJ three match war on this night, with the recently dethroned ex-champ taking on the company's big new shock signing; as Okada looks for the win against the man who debuted to cost him his belt. SANADA has a chance to make a giant splash here, though his chances of a win are likely slim.

IWGP Heavyweight title- Naito(c) vs. Ishii
The night's faction battle hits its peak here, as Ishii gets a main event spot and a chance at the top strap in Japanese wrestling. Naito has been on fire with his character work and it should be interesting to see how his "give no fucks" attitude plays out now that he is champ especially against the strong style monster who will be throwing bombs in his direction in this first title defense. Naito is sure to retain as he is NJPW's hottest current act and this is his first defense, plus Ishii, current ROH TV champ, is likely to be waiting to do a job to a top ROH regular during the upcoming cross-promotional North American tour dropping the title back to a home ROH representative(likely Fish), something that would be impossible to pull off if he were IWGP champ. Yet the match should be oustanding regardless of its predictable nature; plus nothing with the Ingobernables has been truly "predictable" anyway.

If everything breaks right, this card has show of the year candidacy potential.

Wow I have not really kept up with New Japan lately (despite the fact I now live in Japan lol) Okada lost the belt to Naito of all people, and Ishii challenging for the title? Great news.

Naito is arguably the best heel in all of wrestling right now. They had to capitalise on his performance (and popularity). Once the moment of Okada beating Tanahashi to become the new Ace of the generation faded away, his World title reign became useless. To keep him face and interesting, have him chase the belt. Why not give it to Naito?

I'll be doing my best to catch this.

Very interesting card. The LIDJ series vs CHAOS is very interesting. My guess is that EVIL and Naito go over while Sanada loses to Okada - unless they intend on making Sanada into the new Okada, it would be very unlike New Japan for a guy to go over the face of the company in his first big match. Seems to be about zero chance for Ishii, but his star has been rising in the company and New Japan might call for the swerve.

Most of the rest of the card is decent enough looking filler to me. The young champions versus legends is neat but we'll see if Liger and Nagata can turn back time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back