Final Fantasy 4: A Dagger review thread

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Some people have been doing game review threads, so I thought I'd join in on the fun. What better way to start off than with Final Fantasy 4! You might recognize it as "that game with those guys from Dagger's sig"!

ff4snes.png

ff4psx.png

ff4gba.png

ff4ds.png

ff4psp.png

Game: Final Fantasy 4

System: SNES, GBA, PSX, DS, PSP

Difficulty: Hard (DS), Medium (all but DS)

Time Spent: 40+ hours (all but DS), 100+ hours (DS version)

Bottom Line: Masterpiece

Back in the day, 1992 to be exact, Final Fantasy 4 was one of the first role playing games I ever played. While it wasn't THE first.... it was the one that gave birth to my massive fanboyism of RPG's. After playing FF4 for the first time, I kept coming back for more.... and more.... and more.... and more. That game introduced me to some of my all-time favorite characters. It went on to become a huge inspiration (alongside FF7 and Tales of Symphonia) for Division Blade, my own role playing game. The original version was so ahead of its time. It spawned virtually every single stereotype associated with turn based RPG's today. I loved that game so much. I was 6 when I was first exposed to it, and STILL play it a lot to this day as a 25 year old. Just a week ago, I was finishing up yet another playthrough of the original version.

Originally released as Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES, it led to confusion at first. The states did not see a release of the real FF2 on the NES until the Final Fantasy Origins remake of 1 & 2 on the PSX in 2002. They also did not see the real FF3 on the NES until a remake on the DS in 2006. FF5 was also left out at first, until Final Fantasy Anthology (5 & 6) on the PSX in 1999. Due to 2, 3, and 5 being left out at first.... FF4 was released in the states as FF2 and FF6 got released as FF3. The numbering was off at first, but they did get it fixed a couple of years later.

FF4 has seen many remakes. The first was on the PSX alongside Chrono Trigger in a cool little collection called Final Fantasy Chronicles. Next was the GBA remake which had the graphics of the Wonderswan version that never saw a worldwide release, and some new events that were exclusive to that version. They then remade it for the DS, which I will cover extensively below. We will also see the PSP version released THIS WEEK, which will include the rare sequel.

In summer of 2008 I got the DS remake. OH MY GOSH!!!! The last time I was exposed to such an awe-inspiring world was when I played the original version of the same game back in 1992. The graphics (compared to the super nintendo version) were astounding, the cut-scenes now included amazing voice-overs, and the soundtrack had never sounded better! There is even an option to replay it another time using abilities you unlocked during the first playthrough. These replays were absolutely necessary in order to defeat a new optional boss in the end. You needed to play through it 3 times to inherit items and abilities from other files to get a party powerful enough to defeat that boss.

The only thing stopping this game from being absolutely flawless, was that you cannot change which heroes are in the active party (a staple of modern RPG games). It makes up for that though in the DS version by letting characters use items that teach them abilities of other characters who left the party. For example: Rosa the White Wizard and Cecil the Paladin could learn to use Palom and Porom's Twincast ability.

In the GBA version you could change party members after destroying the Giant of Babil.... but it was exclusive to that version and only for the final couple of events in the game.

No matter which version we are discussing.... the gameplay is bar none the best of any turn-based RPG. Each of the 12 playable characters has a unique skill set and a use in battle that is different from the rest. Many of them have become standards by which other characters are now measured. See the spoiler tag for details:

Kain the Dragoon turns heel, but seeks redemption. A character type that has been recreated countless times since this game. He was not the first to do it (Leon from FF2 NES) but he was the first to do it right. The game kept you asking where Kain's loyalty truly was.

Rosa the White Wizard went on to become the quintessential "attractive lead female with restorative abilities".

Rydia the Summoner spawned all of the jokes about Summoners with Green hair.

The stereotype of Bards sucking as a character class is partially Edward from this game's fault, for being almost useless in most versions.

The story is really good too. I won't spoil any for the few who have yet to play it. There are also a few silly moments. Some of which have become iconic, like this:

ff4spoony.png

:lol:

We can thank the AWFUL translations of Mr Ted Woolsey for that one.

A minor setback though for some may be the increased difficulty of the DS version over the other versions. It is MUCH tougher. Some bosses got a huge jump in difficulty due to new abilities and a larger supply of Health Points. It made you have to work hard on setting up a party with the right abilities, especially for the optional bosses who I felt were even tougher than Emerald Weapon from FF7. The replay value is off the charts in the DS version. You could inherit abilities from previous files which let you get through it faster and with potentially any skill you wanted from the moment the replay began. I particularly enjoyed using the abilities that gathered more EXP and Gold in the replay, so I could get back to the end faster and try to go after the optional bosses. Although I had loads of fun coming up with random ability sets for each character.

If you have not played this yet, I recommend the DS version. I doubt that the new PSP version will have the ability system that the DS had, although it will include the rare sequel which I cannot wait to try. The replay value that each additional playthrough has, the ability system, and finally the graphic update.... all are more than enough to keep the DS version of this game deserving an "A+" despite having no control over when the heroes are playable. I also give the older versions a similar score because of nostalgia and innovation (for its time).

If you have a DS then you REALLY need to check out FF4's remake if you have not yet. You will love it, trust me! If you've already played it, try another run. It's great each time through and better each time. If you're new to RPG's then this game (no matter which version) is a perfect place to start. I even recommend the DS version to those who liked the original but have not played it yet. Seeing the remake after having played the original is a gaming experience I would not want you to miss out on. Even to those who did not like the original, perhaps the remake may change your mind. Give it a try. Take it from someone who has been playing video games for over 20 years since before he could even talk.... Final Fantasy 4 is 100% without a shadow of a doubt a legendary game that's completely worth your time and easily one of the best video games of all time.

I'll score each version individually, since they are a little different from each other, and then an overall for FF4 as a whole.

SNES version: 97%
PSX version: 94%
GBA version: 95%
DS version: 100%
PSP version: TBA (I must play it first, stay tuned....)

Why these scores? PSX version lost a few points due to an annoying squish sound that comes up for several tracks when they start playing, and the load times. Other than that it is a worthy port of the original SNES version which gets a nearly perfect score. The only things it lost points for were you not being able to pick who was in the party and rare moments of bad translations. (Holy getting replaced by White, etc). The GBA version fixed both things that were wrong with the SNES version, but it was a little disappointing compared to what they could have done, so it lost a couple of points for that. The DS version is a masterpiece in every sense of the word that no gamer should ever miss out on. The PSP version remains unscored until I have played it, so I will go back and edit this when the time comes. Until then.... FF4 as a whole receives an overall score of 97%.

I enjoyed writing this review and hope you enjoyed reading it. I have noticed that the reviews (this included) are all positive reviews and fanboyism, but I assure you that I will include some negative reviews as well. I am thinking of doing the entire FF series (although some have been covered by others) and there are a couple of games that would NOT be receiving A's if I did go that route. We'll see.

So what do yall think? Feel free to discuss anything about any of FF4's versions but please make life easier for the mods by not spamming. Include why you think what you think.... and no spoilers for the PSP version and the sequel included inside it without spoiler tags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back